what are the physical/ lifting demands of a machinist

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

jd in Mobile, Alabama

76 months ago

can someone find and perform a machinist job if unable to lift more than about 25 pounds on a routine basis?? I appreciate your input.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dave Lyon in Excelsior Springs, Missouri

75 months ago

I'd say you're gonna have a tough time as a machinist. Even the tools we use are heavy. Maybe you'd be better off trying to become a programmer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jethro Hilligan in Alamosa, Colorado

69 months ago

I broke my back. Twice.

Either look for a 'lab' style job; i.e. medical, instrumentation, or even automotive. But general machining, while not all that physical MOST OF THE TIME, Can be very demanding during set-ups and loading and unloading. Especially if you're swinging 120" and running 10 ton parts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nordicchess in Mound, Minnesota

45 months ago

As a CNC Machinist, there a wide range of products that you may be required to work machine. I have ran some parts that weigh over a ton and others that get stuck underneath your fingernail, when you attempt to pick them up.

Yes, you can be a machinist without having to do any heavy lifting. Just ask your potential employer, if they machine heavy parts or require heavy tooling. The best machinist jobs that I've had were not dirty and did not involve any heavy lifting whatsoever. The most difficult part was being on my feet for the duration of a 10 hour shift.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.