Top maintenance engineer skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every maintenance engineer must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your maintenance engineer expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

victor in Montreal, Quebec

83 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every maintenance engineer must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your maintenance engineer expertise?

1-must be professional technician&trouble shooting .
2-must study the equipment and live with it is problems,to reduce waste and develope them.
3-must has the ability to train the operators and respect there opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

James Nelson in Aurora, Missouri

80 months ago

I disagree. There are no hard and fast 3 top traits. It depends on the organization, staffing, and your position within it.

If I had to pick one that is critical to any good maintenance engineer, it would be taking care finances. You can be the best troubleshooter, personnel manager, and steward, but if you overspend(without good cause), your peers WILL replace you. Money talks!!! remember this from someone who has learned it the hard way.

Good personnel management applies not only to maintenance but all areas so I will not list it as a trait as it is a given.

#2(I agree with Victor). Know your equipment. Learn it inside and out. Study maintenance principles inlcuind TPM, Preventive and Predictive as well as process control programs such as 6-sigma, lean manufacturing, Kanban etc. DO NOT think that one system alone is your end all be all. It will usually be a combination of techniques and processes that help you maintain equipment and PRVENT REOCCURENCE FAILURES!!

#3 Know your role. If you are the troubleshooter, do the job. If you are the supervisor do NOT troubleshoot unless required(and you will know when this time comes). You get involved in individual breakdowns and you lose focus on the bigger picture. This will hurt your facility and the way your peers see you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sushil in Chandigarh, India

29 months ago

nice...but explain with some examples....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.