Tips for Maintenance Person interviews.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming Maintenance Person interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

delbl in Bristol, Pennsylvania

75 months ago

I am wondering the same thing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jared in College Station, Texas

75 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming Maintenance Person interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

My advice is to first be professional and know your systems. I don’t know what kind of maintenance position you are looking for. My specialty is electro-mechanical equipment, mainly electronics. Re-read the job posting and learn a little about the company. Most likely the company will want to know about your experience/training with their particular types of equipment (see job posting). Do talk about how our past experience/training will allow you to start making an impact right away. Do not speak of things you do not know!!! It is ok to ask questions. For example at the interview where I received my job they started talking about a system I was unfamiliar with. I started asking questions like what is its purpose (if you don’t know) and is it similar to the XYZ system. I made comparisons of the equipment that I had experience on and during a tour they gave me I was able to relate that I could get up to speed very quickly. It was similar to something I had used before just in a different package. So it is ok to not have experience on their exact equipment. A similarity would be a Chevy mechanic working on a Ford. So use your experience to make it relevant to the job you are applying for. Even though it is a maintenance position expect some standard questions like What are your strengths and weaknesses. What did you do or how do you handle conflicts with co-workers and supervisors. Or even tell me about the last argument you have had with your supervisor. Remember an interview is a two way conversation not a drilling by your prospective employer. ….Part 1 (limited to 2000 characters)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jared in College Station, Texas

75 months ago

Part II…..When asked a question use you answer to relate a story based on experience. For instance I was asked what I liked least about my last job. I could have been real short and said paperwork. However I was specific and said that I worked on a new aircraft that was being tested so the paperwork was sometimes overwhelming. We had to make changes to all of the technical data as we went along even the grammatical errors so sometimes a 5 minute routine task would take an hour with paperwork. Treat it kind of like a conversation with someone you know who works there. Go ahead and ask a few questions. Many times they will ask you if you have any questions at the end of the interview. Especially if the interviewer(s) have been with the company for a while; I usually ask the interviewers what are their reasons for staying with the company. It will give a little more insight as to what the company may have to offer or the morale of the company. Also take a look at everyone’s mood and face. If they look like the night of the living dead or just beaten down it is probably not worth your time and not a fun place to work. I know you are maintenance; however, I would almost certainly wear a suit and tie unless it’s like Cooters Garage with two employees. If you believe they have an HR person and look like a decent size company you cannot go wrong with a suit and tie (no clip-ons).

Sorry if I rambled on or covered something you already knew. Try and give some more specific information on you post. I understand if you do not want to say the company because someone else applying may use “your lines.” At least elaborate on the industry and type of position as well as your experience level. Supervisors will be asked different questions than non-supervisors and well as someone with more experience will be asked different questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Pam in Corner Brook, Newfoundland

53 months ago

I have a interview for tomorrow for a maintance position at a swim centre. Duties will include cleaning,changing garbages. etc. could you please respond and tell me what kinds of questions they would ask

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.