What do you enjoy most about your major gifts officer career?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Host

What do you enjoy most about being a major gifts officer? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Glen Gardner, New Jersey

51 months ago

What do I enjoy most-- my current position requires a great deal of business accumen and creating and working through the deals is a great joy to me!

My biggest dislike is my own coworkers. They're wonderful people, but they don't have the ability to do more than just ask for funds. Proper development requires that ability to motivate and read people, and most importantly, the ability to react to both of the previous abilities. When you meet someone who likes to host fundraisers, you need to be able to get them excited about hosting one for you. Don't just ask, and don't just take the no if you do ask. And that's what my coworkers do. I'm not in a position where I can train them, but because I perform and they don't, the burden of the entire department is put on me solely.

For me, no development is not challenging. For most development officers it is. Be personable and learn business, and even when you're working with individual gifts, you'll find that it will come easily to you.

There are tons of opportunities for those that are capable of producing funds.

I stay in the job because I love watching someone become invested in the organization and realize how their funds are helping the community and world around them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.