Getting a Management Consultant job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

How did you get your start doing Management Consultant work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Mark Steen in London, United Kingdom

36 months ago

A degree from a top school is a requirement to enter top mgmt consulting firms such at McKinsey, BCG and Bain at an entry level.

Industry hires are often recruited from large corporate firms such as Proctor or GE.

You should know that the interviewing process is quite specific to the field.

Way too many applicants drive themselves crazy worrying about interviews. The basics are easy: show up with an eager attitude, a good resume, sound convincing and be prepared to kill the case.

Your typical Consulting interview will usually have a personality component and a case study.

Essentially, during the personality interview, the interviewer wants to know that you know what being a consultant is about and that you are willing to embrace the lifestyle, long hours and the actual job.

Case Interview
This is the part that requires serious preparation. A case interview is essentially a word problem based on a real-life (or simulated) consulting situation. Thus, the interviewer might say, “Suppose a client comes to you and says, ‘We’re thinking about going into the pet food business, and we want you to tell us what to do.’ What should you tell her?”

More advises here: www.consultingcafe.com/articles/getting-a-job-in-consulting

I would also advise purchasing Cosentino's book - Certainly helped me landing my job.

Best of luck to all the soon-to-be consultant newbies

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Yesenia in Toronto, Ontario

15 months ago

I think its true that consulting industry mostly hires only from top schools.I have encountered such issues before while trying for a job in the industry.But recently i got an offer from KPMG.KPMG is a Toronto based management consultant.Really happy to be a part of this MNC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.