Getting a manual machinist job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

How did you get your start doing manual machinist work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

D Geister in Minneapolis, Minnesota

75 months ago

I have been working as a manual machinist for over 12 yrs. Iam now 45 yrs old if you want to go somewere with your career you should get cnc training. I found that out the hard way. I will be going back to school in the fall. I hope you hear what I am saying that is the future in all this machining stuff. Yes they will still need us I hope. But dont relie on it. Thanks Dave G

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sheldon Winford in Charlotte, North Carolina

38 months ago

James Finley in Charlotte, North Carolina said: need a job as a manual machinist

Sometimes employees will put you at entry level and as your skills increase so will your experience. Hence the hireability. You also need CNC it is the heart of the machinist trade. You have the manual get the technical.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ray Ottavi

35 months ago

I have to disagree with the comment of CNC being the heart of the machinist trade, there are alot people that goto school for cnc, graduate, and still can't run a manual lathe, mill etc. If it doesn't come with a computer and keyboard they're completely lost. There are plenty of shops, and shipyards out there that still want manual machinists. Manual Machining is a art and requires a certain personality, which fortunaly a CNC Machine doesn't have.

That being said, I live in North Carolina, and work in Virginia, does anyone know of any places in South Carolina seeking a Inside Machinist? I have a little over 15 years experience Manual, and some minor CNC Mazatrol/Mazak QT25, I have run just about every manual piece of equipment around, Largest Lathe so far 64" Swing.I Can do build up Flame Spray Repair, I have experience grind machining thermal coatings. I prefer job shop enviroments, fast turn around jobs, high volumes of work. Looking for a company that may have the option of helping with relocation, Yes I do have references.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.