Top manual machinist skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every manual machinist must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your manual machinist expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Robert Whitfield in Chicago, Illinois

101 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every manual machinist must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your manual machinist expertise?

Own your own tools. This shows:
(a.) dedication to this line of work,
(b.) experience with said tools,
(c.) saves company tooling expenses for
a new employee,
(d.) workers who own their own tools
tend to equally respect the tools
of others.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

larry averett in Springville, Utah

99 months ago

Oldschool, is what operators call me, but will there always be some need for manual machinist, with the old skills?

Reply - Report abuse

Robert Whitfield in Chicago, Illinois

99 months ago

Machines are changing to do more and more; but they will always need that tooling removed,.. sharpened,.. and reset.
New people are coming out of these C.N.C. schools, but they leap frogged ahead and often don't know how to do what a manual machinist learned to fix from previous head aches.
A manual machinist should be able to apply for a job and have that over all experience from his years of experience that will save a alot of time (a.k.a. money)

Reply - Report abuse

Flyman in York, Pennsylvania

93 months ago

A manual machinist, as another mentioned, should have a good assortment of his own precision measuring tools. Secondly be well versed in vertical mills and engine lathes as well as the use of all the ancillary equipment for those machines. Thirdly have strong experience with the correct processing of components to machine them with quality and productivity in mind.

Reply - Report abuse

Millhonky in Tampa, Florida

92 months ago

A manual machinist needs to be detail oriented, meticulous, and
alert for mistakes on engineering drawings.
The engineers that are graduating now do cad/cam it's not like
the old days when done on a drafting board and they'd catch their
own mistakes. I don't know how many errors and butt's i've saved
reveiwing in detail their blueprints!

Reply - Report abuse

R. Whitfield in Chicago, Illinois

92 months ago

I am currently up grading my skills to c.n.c In every class I've had in this course I am the only person with any hands on experience. I own my own tools and these people have only just learned to use a micrometer. People out of school are no threat at all. The only serious competition for the jobs out there are the experienced people who were laid off,.. no fault of their own.
All parts wear out sooner or later so we will be needed again eventually. In about 18 months things should start to improve. Hang in there ! We'll be looking at seroius overtime by the time we can'y afford to retire.

Reply - Report abuse

larry averett in Springville, Utah

92 months ago

I don't know if its true for the rest of the country, but they stopped training machinist a few years back in trade schools, and colleges in Utah. There just was not enough interested. Its caused a demand, though not as strong right now, but, its a welcoming feeling to know there could be another job to step into, if the one your working for closes. Which has been happening in Utah and the rest of the country I guess. Its still fun to machine, so I sure like seeing it coming back.

Reply - Report abuse

richard clifton in Williston, South Carolina

90 months ago

imagination,confidence,and endurance

Reply - Report abuse

vanxayvang in Munroe Falls, Ohio

90 months ago

please consider me for the machine shop jobs.i have the akill and the experience and very reliable thank you.

Reply - Report abuse

hollandkr@*****.*** in Phoenix, Arizona

88 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every manual machinist must have to excel?Math,Q.C,Time

Read print completly.do not over look ?

Reply - Report abuse

richard clifton in Norway, South Carolina

88 months ago

aside from being able to run at least mills&lathes,probably two other machines, such as grinders, boring mill and/or vtls,jig bore,gear hobber. job shops offer the best experience. They most often do the hardest work and for less. Large industries always keep the cream and have alot more over head than a job shop.

Reply - Report abuse

boater in Trafford, Pennsylvania

84 months ago

cnc opperators are not machinist. they are button pushers. i have 20 plus in the shop and as a field machinist which uses portable machines. like to see if cnc opp could set one of those up and hit a + - .001 tol

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.