Chiropractor VS. Spa - Which do you work at and why?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 198)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Beck in Cabot, Arkansas

44 months ago

BBB823 in Scottsdale, Arizona said: If you get this... Or anyone else that can help, I'd appreciate it... When you're working as an independent therapist in a chiropractors office, do you have to handle the insurance billing if they have insurance coverage, or does a general secretary/office personell handle it. And do you pay rent or anything to the chiropractor? There has to be some insentive for the chiropractor, otherwise why would they have you there, lol. Let me know... Anyone... :) Thanks! I'm looking to start massage school in a couple months, so I was just looking at my options. & I'm in Florida, not Arizona, that just generates automatically on my computer... Thanks again!

office staff should handle all billing. You do NOT want to be involved in insurance billing, unless its a seperate part of you duties and you should NEVER bill your own massages. Unless you like Orange Jump Suits and dont mind time in the pen??? The chances of a mistake happening and you could be accused of insurance fruad are not worth the risk....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bodyworklady in Battle Creek, Michigan

44 months ago

Hello everyone! I'm hoping those with a little more knowledge than myself in regards to working with/for Chiropractors can make some suggestions. There is a Chiropractor who is interested in "seeing what we can put together" (his words). He would like me to submit somewhat of a proposal of what I would like to financially receive coming in twice per week as a sub-contractor. I have never worked at a Chiropractor's office, so I'm feeling lost on where negotiations should even start. He gave me zero information, but I'm assuming I would supply everything. Does anyone think it is fair to ask for a 70/30 split? Why or why not? If we agree on a percentage, should it be based off of what is billed or what is received? What would you suggest? Should I just ask for a base dollar amount instead? What are the other important questions to ask and terms to solidify? This is new to me as I have just been self employed up to this point. ANY help and suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Beck

44 months ago

Tell him to call Massage Advantage. It will save you a ton of leg work and they are Experts in working with massage/Chiro (it's all they do FYI). There are many legal issues from "dual fee" "Stark Law" and fee splitting situations you can get wrapped up in if your not careful. There were more audits last year than anyother year in Chiro history with more be reported this year, you want to make 100% sure your compliant and these people know their stuff. Well worth a phone call if he is serious about doing it.

Beck

44 months ago

Tell him to call Massage Advantage. It will save you a ton of leg work and they are Experts in working with massage/Chiro (it's all they do FYI). There are many legal issues from "dual fee" "Stark Law" and fee splitting situations you can get wrapped up in if your not careful. There were more audits last year than anyother year in Chiro history with more be reported this year, you want to make 100% sure your compliant and these people know their stuff. Well worth a phone call if he is serious about doing it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shelly

44 months ago

I agree Massage Advatage is the best!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MassageMom

44 months ago

Envy will not survive if these people are successful. I did my homework and found they are now in LA so I'm applying at their local center now. From what I've seen this is a whole new meaning to "big easy", and everyone I've talked to agrees! I've worked for 6 years in Chiro offices, but this is the first time anyone has figured it out how to make this a real business. Love it!

DrCara in Atlanta, Georgia

44 months ago

To ALL MT's: Please send good MT's to me to interview! When you are working you will make at least $29.17 per hour plus tips, plus as an employee I will pay more of their taxes (vs. being an independant contractor).

I have read these posts and so many makie me sad. If you have had a bad experience with a Chiro, PLEASE don't say all are like that! I am a Chiropractor and have one MT working with me. I want to hire 3 more. Please do not bash all Chiro's. If you don't like where you are, leave. You deserve to get whatever was agreed to. You should do whatever you agreed to. That is why you should have a clear contract. I will be totally open about what I expect.

"rent" is $200 a month plus 50%. The result is the MT will make over $30/hr if they are massaging someone. We will schedule and bill ins for them. Having read the posts, that seems reasonable to me. MT can make more if they go out on their own, but I also have invested $15,000 in building out and branding One Stop Wellness. I hear on this post "how can they take so much of the MT's money when they do the work!?"

If you open your own spa you will likely have more than 50% overhead, plus the stress of running it, plus the investment of openeing, plus the risk of loss of all that if something goes wrong. That IS a great option for some MTs. If someone wants a pleasant place to work 20 hours or so a week where they can build a practice and be supported, then this is the place for them.

Please comment if you think this is fair...or very unfair, I want to know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

DrCara in Atlanta, Georgia

44 months ago

bodyworklady in Battle Creek, Michigan said: Hello everyone! I'm hoping those with a little more knowledge than myself in regards to working with/for Chiropractors can make some suggestions. There is a Chiropractor who is interested in "seeing what we can put together" (his words). He would like me to submit somewhat of a proposal of what I would like to financially receive coming in twice per week as a sub-contractor. I have never worked at a Chiropractor's office, so I'm feeling lost on where negotiations should even start. He gave me zero information, but I'm assuming I would supply everything. Does anyone think it is fair to ask for a 70/30 split? Why or why not? If we agree on a percentage, should it be based off of what is billed or what is received? What would you suggest? Should I just ask for a base dollar amount instead? What are the other important questions to ask and terms to solidify? This is new to me as I have just been self employed up to this point. ANY help and suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!

I just opened up One Stop Wellness in Roswell GA. I hired 1 MT and am interviewing for 3 more MT positions. I ran the numbers, and at 30% I would be loosing money. I can't speak for anyone else, but I offer 50%/50% off what is received (Don't go by what is billed), plus the MT pays $200 toward the rent. (That's $2.50 per hour room rent. Hope that helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

DC in Chicago, Illinois

44 months ago

If you are an independant contractor(IC), then as the name means, you should be independant....pay rent do your own billing etc.I recommend all IC's familarize them selves with the IRS's 20 rules that decide if you are or not an IC with your current relationship so you can avoid penalties.

DC in Chicago, Illinois

44 months ago

But not if you are independant... you need to bill out with your own TIN & NPI, not under the DC or MD's liscence.... honestly if I was a MT I would't waste the time & effort. ALWAYS check with your attorney for state specific's.

DC in Chicago, Illinois

44 months ago

If your are a sub-contractor, keep in mind your are an independant contractor and must pay your own taxes... I would recommend billing them a flat fee per massage...forget the spit...hard to figure out at the end of the month and keep track of billed/collected/percentages etc... the best business is one kept simple & know what you are to do (job duties, what are you expected to do other than massage, are you being fed patients or expected to bring them in)... put it in writing so it can be referred to in the future...this helps if things get a little sour......so I ask you what are you comfortable getting paid to show up & massage

DC in Chicago, Illinois

44 months ago

Read the IRS's 20 rules that define an IC/employee...if you pay "rent" then you are not an employee....I personally think percentages are complicated (unless it is cash) to keep track of & therefore a source of conflict. I pay an hourly rate as true employee (payroll taxes & all). They show up for a four hour shift... We try to fill their schedules as best as possible pay over $30/hr (I believe a fair percent average of collections about 45%)and if they don't have patients to massage then they help out around the office for 'down time' at half that rate)....my therapists love the arrangement & feel it is fair (my observation is the more seasoned they are the more they feel it is fair)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DrCara in Alpharetta, Georgia

44 months ago

DC in Chicago, Illinois said: Read the IRS's 20 rules that define an IC/employee...if you pay "rent" then you are not an employee....I personally think percentages are complicated (unless it is cash) to keep track of & therefore a source of conflict. I pay an hourly rate as true employee (payroll taxes & all). They show up for a four hour shift... We try to fill their schedules as best as possible pay over $30/hr (I believe a fair percent average of collections about 45%)and if they don't have patients to massage then they help out around the office for 'down time' at half that rate)....my therapists love the arrangement & feel it is fair (my observation is the more seasoned they are the more they feel it is fair)

Dear DC in Illinios. PLEASE be careful about giving tax advice. You said "if you pay "rent" then you are not an employee...." I believe you are incorrect and if anyone follows this advice they may have a problem with the IRS. Everyone should Check with their CPA or Attorney. I am neither, so check if I'm right, but I believe paying rent is NOT enough to define IC status. My understanding is that it is more about control over what work is done, when, and how. I believe the preferred position of the IRS is that of employee. You basically have to PROVE IC, not the other way around. They may not say so, but it is almost as if "employee" is the default.

In my office it is easy to track percentages...our office software tracks it easily. It sounds like your arrangement is great for both you & the MTs. There are different options, but I agree completely that putting expectations up front helps everyone.

I love and respect my MTs...and I want to hire 3 more. I am interviewing now, so readers please send your Atlanta friends to me if they want a supportive place to see their clients or grow a practice.

RogerDC

44 months ago

The wheel you all trying to reinvent has been done with Massage Advantage. If you really want compliance you MUST use a third party, it's the only way to give you 100% protection and yes I asked my attorney. You will be ok on one side, but not on others, watch out for Stark Law.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BBB823 in Walkersville, Maryland

44 months ago

Okay, so if you're an independent contractor & paying rent, do you still typically give a percentage per session to the spa or chiropractor? Didn't really get a clear answer. Or is it just typically rent fees? & If you are renting a room in a spa/clinic can you do your own marketing using your own name or do you have to market the spa you are renting out of? & if you are an independent contractor that means I'll have to get my own business license & liability insurance? Once I get into it I'd really like to be a little more incharge then just working for someone, making my own hours & handling my own taxes, etc. I obviously wouldn't be able to open my own spa or wellness center right off the bat, so I was thinking renting somewhere would be a good option. Thanks again for your help! & again, I'm in FL, not wherever this website is posting... lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DC in Chicago, Illinois

44 months ago

Was not trying to give tax advice but rather an opinion. Agreed always check with your CPA/ATTORNEY.
Just saying if I had to pay rent somewhere to work I would consider that a space sharing agreement rather than an employee position/relationship. What software do you use. MY OPINION. I cann't (& neither can my attorney or CPA) see how you can hire a MT in our type of businness as an IC. Just don't want to roll the dice and have to pay all that back taxes....although the IC would be safe. You be the judge...

INDEPENDANT CONTRACTOR RULES

An individual is generally considered an employee rather than an independent contractor by the IRS if the worker . . .

1)Must comply with company instructions about when, where and how the work will be performed.

2)Receives training from or at the direction of the company.

3)Performs "ordinary and necessary" business activities.

4)Does not retain the right to delegate work to an assistant or subcontractor.

5)Is aided by assistants hired, supervised and paid by the company.

6)Has a continuing relationship with the company.

7)Works a schedule set by the company.

8) Works full-time for the company.

9)Works on company premises.

10)Performs duties in an order set by the company.

11)Must submit regular reports to the company.

12)Is paid in set amounts at regular intervals.

13)Receives payments for business and travel expenses.

14)Uses a significant number of company- provided tools and materials.

15)Has little or no investment in the resources required to perform work.

16)Cannot make a profit or suffer a loss from the services provided.

17)Does not work for more than one company at one time.

18)Does not consistently seek work from general public.

19)Can be fired for reasons other than failure to produce results specified in a contract.

20)Can quit at any time without incurring liability.

Sonia in Cabot, Arkansas

44 months ago

All of this is 100% correct. one small piece to the pie for most DC's is: IC's CAN'T REFFER AND GET PAID FOR IT, THEY MUST BE EMPLOYEES! And there are ways even this has to be structured. Also IC's can get in ton of issues dealing with Fee Splitting. So billing thru the DC's licenses to compensate the IC is a big NO NO! Tax issues will be your least concern if you get in this boat. And before someone responds "So and so or I’ve done it this way before" you better know your state laws as they are forever changing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

BBB823 in Charlotte, North Carolina

44 months ago

That's why I'm asking how it typically works, legally, how does the Chiropractor or Spa you are working out of make money on you being there, other then rent, or is that just it. Otherwise I don't see why they'd want an independent contractor instead of an employee working for them, making more of a profit... I'm just saying I'd rather work on my own, making my own set hours, doing my own promotions & want to know how that typically works. If you do or can advertise yourself, if you have your own company name inside the spa/clinic, or you promote them. I'm sorry I was a little confused by the response, I'm just asking HOW it typically works... LEGALLY... I wouldn't do anything not by the books, I want to do everything completely legal.

Sonia in Cabot, Arkansas

44 months ago

BBB823 in Charlotte, North Carolina said: That's why I'm asking how it typically works, legally, how does the Chiropractor or Spa you are working out of make money on you being there, other then rent, or is that just it. Otherwise I don't see why they'd want an independent contractor instead of an employee working for them, making more of a profit... I'm just saying I'd rather work on my own, making my own set hours, doing my own promotions & want to know how that typically works. If you do or can advertise yourself, if you have your own company name inside the spa/clinic, or you promote them. I'm sorry I was a little confused by the response, I'm just asking HOW it typically works... LEGALLY... I wouldn't do anything not by the books, I want to do everything completely legal.

Most Chiro’s and Spa’s use what is referred to as a “retail model”. Simply put they mark a service up, pay you less and earn a profit. This matters not if you and employee or an IC the results for profit are the same. As a true IC paying booth rent or room rent. You will typically keep all you collect in exchange for the privileges of working in the space. Benefits are less responsibility by the MT for marketing, staffing (someone to schedule for you), laundry, etc. So although you gain some freedom to come and go this is not always the best solution to building a full book. My suggestion is look into building a relationship with companies like Massage Advantage. They work out the details, make sure your compensation is fair, 90% of your marketing is done for you and what isn’t they help guide on for the best results. This also mean long term more profit for you as you not using your cash to purchase flyer, etc. Also this is one way to work with other MT’s, so in the event your become injured or ill there is someone to help cover those client. Much easier to keep them than to find a new one if you know what I mean? In establishing a working relationship anywhere there needs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

DC in Chicago, Illinois

44 months ago

1)Set up your own business, rent space where you like, see patients when you like, massage, collect the $.
2)Have someone hire you. They tell you when & where to massage.

BBB823 in Charlotte, North Carolina

44 months ago

Okay so I think the way I should go about it then is after I graduate maybe work as an "employee" at different places build some clientele & then rent a room from a spa/chiropractor, get my own liability insurance, which it sounds like I'll need anyway with other places, & then go from there. As an IC I should be able to set my own hours, collect the proffit from the services I provide & I just need to pay my own taxes. I seen some places that have rooms for rent that say you can either pay rent or split a portion of your services, but why would you want to do that if you're paying your own taxes? I was also looking into it & it looks like if the facility you're renting from is collecting money off of your services it can be considered a "kick-back" & is not legal?? I rather just do my own advertising, make my own hours, do my own taxes & pay rent. Nobody answered me on if I do that though if when I'm advertising I use my own name or the spa/clinic my room is out of??? & I think I'd just stay away from medical billing, if its an option, just because it seems more of a hassel then it can be useful accepting insurance plans... Maybe my best bet would be renting a room in a spa... Does this sound about right or am I missing any other legal things that can cause a problem with doing this in Florida? I appreciate you help!

XrossKore.com in Farmington, Michigan

43 months ago

Melissa said: Work for chiro.In the past we have had unloyal massage therapist trying to take patients out of practice and offering them cheaper rates. We want to grow a loyal team of employees and create a system which benefits the pateient with great care and results from treatment. Would like to hear from MT as to what would be your dream pay and what would keep you loyal as a tema member to a pracvtice and grow together ????

I have been working Chiro offices for 11 years. I have a system that is in place, just documenting the process. I operate out of 3 chiro offices with a team of 8 therapist under me. So I own the massage part of the practice and chiro runs his part. The therapist also have contracts that are fair to both parties. I set up pay increases starting usually after the MT has proved themselves. Then gradual increases from there. Assisiting the new therapist and training them on how to build there clients to what the want. Give of yourself some juicy info to help along the way. I also offer profit sharing depending on their time worked and the effort they put in to help themselves. I set up a code of honor for the practice and during the interview I show them the code. If they don't like then see ya. If with a group of therapist ask them what they think should be the code (rules) for them and make sure everyone on that team has the right to even question the boss about the code. So If the boss is not following the code the others will not either.
have loads of info. to share and will be able to share more if you would like.
Mark

43 months ago

Rose Masters in Redondo Beach, California said: I have been a massage therapist and an energy worker for the past 20 years i have worked for my self in my own studio as well as for Chrio's and i have rented space my experience with Chrio's is that they for the most part want the M.T. to provide clients - linen - oil's - music and the table. Most want the M.T. in addition to go out and set up a chair and do free chair massages, to help grow the Chrio's practice, most Chrio's will pay any where from 10 - 15 per massage.

At present for the past 2 and a half months ive been working for a female Chrio she agreed to pay me 30 $ per massage i had asked for more, she doesn't have client/patients she may have 10 so she only works a few days a week and only a few hours a day, she held an office meeting - with me an herself - this is the sum total of the office staff, she decided that i should do my own advertising and promotion, She seems to have forgotten that she told me she needed to pay me 30 $ out of 85 for deep tissue, because she was going to be advertising well that has not happened, So i am really thinking of either leaving her office or letting her know that if i am to advertise and promote myself i will need to be paid at a higher %,...

Hello, Through my experience and research the chiro is actually considered a Dr. so due to the STARK ammendment act. A Dr can't recieve kickbacks a percentage paid to the MT is considered a kickback and from talking to a chiro attorney this true. Please check it out. I want to see MT's working in conjunction with Dr.'s so we can help more people live a happier healthier life.
The only legal way to work in Dr.'s office is to either rent space or be an actual employee. I prefer to rent and run the massage side so as to help double up on the advertising with the chiro. Of course with the two of you coming to an agreement usually in writing that way we don't froget and there is the agreement.
Mark

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

JE in Seattle, Washington said: Max: My issue is not over whether a MT gets paid or not when the chiro does not get paid per massage session hour. My issue is over the % rate the chiro pays an MT from their total net pay received and that goes to the chiros bank account. No one has any idea??? Come on, lets just ask and eventually we will find out. Then we can discuss the variables and how they affect the MT pay.

The percentage a chiro pays was answered by the STARK amendment act. Chiros are considered DR.'s and percentages are illegal due to that act because it is considered a kickback to the DR. Only 2 ways I have found to do this rent space and provide your own equip. and supplies or become an employee. Check it out. I hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kris in Fox River Grove, Illinois

43 months ago

XrossKore.com in Farmington, Michigan said: I have been working Chiro offices for 11 years. I have a system that is in place, just documenting the process. I operate out of 3 chiro offices with a team of 8 therapist under me. So I own the massage part of the practice and chiro runs his part. The therapist also have contracts that are fair to both parties. I set up pay increases starting usually after the MT has proved themselves. Then gradual increases from there. Assisiting the new therapist and training them on how to build there clients to what the want. Give of yourself some juicy info to help along the way. I also offer profit sharing depending on their time worked and the effort they put in to help themselves. I set up a code of honor for the practice and during the interview I show them the code. If they don't like then see ya. If with a group of therapist ask them what they think should be the code (rules) for them and make sure everyone on that team has the right to even question the boss about the code. So If the boss is not following the code the others will not either.
Mark

Hi Mark,

I am definitely interested in your "process". I am located in the Chicagoland area, and am looking to create a business where I have therapists working for me. Any info you can provide would be appreciated. -Kris

JayJ1964 in Wilmington, Delaware

43 months ago

XrossKore.com in Farmington, Michigan said: I have been working Chiro offices for 11 years. I have a system that is in place, just documenting the process. I operate out of 3 chiro offices with a team of 8 therapist under me. So I own the massage part of the practice and chiro runs his part. The therapist also have contracts that are fair to both parties. I set up pay increases starting usually after the MT has proved themselves. Then gradual increases from there. Assisiting the new therapist and training them on how to build there clients to what the want. Give of yourself some juicy info to help along the way. I also offer profit sharing depending on their time worked and the effort they put in to help themselves. I set up a code of honor for the practice and during the interview I show them the code. If they don't like then see ya. If with a group of therapist ask them what they think should be the code (rules) for them and make sure everyone on that team has the right to even question the boss about the code. So If the boss is not following the code the others will not either.
Mark

Hi Mark, Do you accept insurance in your offices & handle the billing with insurance companies or do you not use insurance, I mean the patience insurance, not liability. Also do the therapists that work for you work as a seperate independent contractor through you or are they an employee of yours, if so how do you handle paying them, do they get a percentage? I'm really interested in the route you took. Thank's for any info!

sonia in Cabot, Arkansas

43 months ago

JayJ1964 in Wilmington, Delaware said: Hi Mark, Do you accept insurance in your offices & handle the billing with insurance companies or do you not use insurance, I mean the patience insurance, not liability. Also do the therapists that work for you work as a seperate independent contractor through you or are they an employee of yours, if so how do you handle paying them, do they get a percentage? I'm really interested in the route you took. Thank's for any info!

you can't accept insurance payments billed under the doctor. this is illegal and called "fee splitting".. the only way this works legally is if they are truly two separate business, which means different names, tax id's, returns, and NO sharing of payments. Which would bare the question why do it in chiro offices?? this would also require a contract from said Massage Co and DC. there better be an exchange of rent of some form of traceable payment for operating within the practice. you also can't refer back and forth "Stark Law" violation if this is truly a separate business. So I too would love to know how you’re doing it and doing so legally????

JayJ1964 in Encino, California

43 months ago

sonia in Cabot, Arkansas said: you can't accept insurance payments billed under the doctor. this is illegal and called "fee splitting".. the only way this works legally is if they are truly two separate business, which means different names, tax id's, returns, and NO sharing of payments. Which would bare the question why do it in chiro offices?? this would also require a contract from said Massage Co and DC. there better be an exchange of rent of some form of traceable payment for operating within the practice. you also can't refer back and forth "Stark Law" violation if this is truly a separate business. So I too would love to know how you’re doing it and doing so legally????

That's what I was wondering, like why would a Chiropractic office do that if they aren't making a profit some way. But I do see alot of massage rooms for rent out of spas & chiropractors, so I just assumed that it was just a way for them to get some money off of their rent. I understand that if you are doing this that you can't bill insurance through the chiro, but do massage therapists bill their own, or do they typically not even bother with insurance companies because it's difficult to get payment from them, for massage I mean. (atleast that's what most of the post's sounded like) I would love to rent a place out of somewhere but just trying to figure out how people do it. Because just starting off in massage would be too difficult to just start up your own practice, so I thought renting a room out of a spa/clinic would be ta good way to start, all legally, own name, taxes, payments, etc. etc. Let me know what anyone thinks or comments. I've also asked that in the past, as far as having your own business name, but located in a clinic/another spa, don't see how you'd do that really.... unless your name is only used in business forms, taxes, cards etc, just not located anywhere on the outside of the building? lol

XrossKore.com in Oak Park, Michigan

43 months ago

Massage and the leagalities are complicated and yet the benifits are a bounus. Keeping the business seperate is a must and the benifits are sharing office space and staff. ie waiting room reception, billing. The Stark ammendmant is very important and that is the challenge. Doing your own insurance is a risk yet the risk can be reduced by following certain steps and educating yourself on the state laws in place. This one move on a MT's part can increase the visits in your office. The referral process comes at the descretion of the patient/client. They have a choice in who they see and when. I am creating a solution for massage therapist to help bring some of these issues to light and enable our industry to grow. Thank you;)

XrossKore.com in Oak Park, Michigan

43 months ago

Hello Kris,
What type of office are you in or looking to create? ie Chiro, stand alone practice, spa..... How many mt's are you looking to bring in? whats your marketing plan? Also will you offer your clients/patients? Thank you looking forward to assisting you. Mark

sonia in Cabot, Arkansas

43 months ago

If I were you I would call Massage Advantage. You will gain a wealth of information in a short time from the owner. He is super easy to talk to and will be able to give you details that i'm not qualified to offer. good luck. Sonia

sonia in Cabot, Arkansas

43 months ago

JayJ1964 in Encino, California said: That's what I was wondering, like why would a Chiropractic office do that if they aren't making a profit some way. But I do see alot of massage rooms for rent out of spas & chiropractors, so I just assumed that it was just a way for them to get some money off of their rent. I understand that if you are doing this that you can't bill insurance through the chiro, but do massage therapists bill their own, or do they typically not even bother with insurance companies because it's difficult to get payment from them, for massage I mean. (atleast that's what most of the post's sounded like) I would love to rent a place out of somewhere but just trying to figure out how people do it. Because just starting off in massage would be too difficult to just start up your own practice, so I thought renting a room out of a spa/clinic would be ta good way to start, all legally, own name, taxes, payments, etc. etc. Let me know what anyone thinks or comments. I've also asked that in the past, as far as having your own business name, but located in a clinic/another spa, don't see how you'd do that really.... unless your name is only used in business forms, taxes, cards etc, just not located anywhere on the outside of the building? lol

If I were you I would call Massage Advantage. You will gain a wealth of information in a short time from the owner. He is super easy to talk to and will be able to give you details that i'm not qualified to offer. good luck. Sonia

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

aprild in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

42 months ago

I am having an interview with a Chiropractic office and would like to know some questions to ask. I know already its and independent contracting job and massages are booked by 1..1 1/2hr...so what would be a good price to start out at?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ankur in Edison, New Jersey

42 months ago

I am an independant contractor at a Chiro office and she is amazing! I get 75% which comes out to $45/hr and some tips. The best thing is that there is a steady stream of clientale and I am not overworked with deep tissue massages. I have also introduced some of the clientale to Reiki and chakra clearing and started to help them emotionally and physically. Do your research and don't be afraid to ask questions. If you are a good therapist and love what you do, take the initiative to ask for what you deserve instead of settling for $15/hr!

JayJ1964 in Charlotte, North Carolina

42 months ago

Ankur in Edison, New Jersey said: I am an independant contractor at a Chiro office and she is amazing! I get 75% which comes out to $45/hr and some tips. The best thing is that there is a steady stream of clientale and I am not overworked with deep tissue massages. I have also introduced some of the clientale to Reiki and chakra clearing and started to help them emotionally and physically. Do your research and don't be afraid to ask questions. If you are a good therapist and love what you do, take the initiative to ask for what you deserve instead of settling for $15/hr!

Hi! If you're an independent contractor, you pay your own taxes? I thought when you're an IC & not an employee that you do your own billing legally & the office you're working in cant make money off of your services i.e. get a portion of your profits etc. Isn't that what alot of these forums are saying. I'm not starting anything, I'm strictly just asking to clear up the differences with certain job types. I thought when you're an employee is when they can give you a percentage & they pay your taxes etc. etc. Let me know, thanks for the info!

42 months ago

I get paid directly by the clients and my rent is 25% of each massage. I pay my own taxes as well.

JayJ1964 in Charlotte, North Carolina

42 months ago

Ankur in Edison, New Jersey said: I get paid directly by the clients and my rent is 25% of each massage. I pay my own taxes as well.

Oh Okay, that sounds good. Do you guys accept insurance there? If you do & you do your own billing, is it hard dealing with the insurance companies & getting paid etc...

42 months ago

I don't accept insurance, but I do give them a receipt if they want to submit to their insurance company for reimbursement.

42 months ago

I don't accept insurance, but some of the clients take a receipt and submit to their insurance company for reimbursement

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Amy Dunaway in Little Rock, Arkansas

41 months ago

Press Release from the desk of the CEO of Massage Advantage. Massage Advantage is beta testing a “new” program carved out for Therapist who suffer from the same discontent we read here. This is one of the most exciting programs ever rereleased to the independent therapist looking for assistance in building their massage business. In today’s ultra competitive massage market if you wanting help with Social Media, Marketing, Branding, along Professional Advice Massage Advantage might have your answers. Being your own boss can be one of the most lucrative and rewarding events your life, but also one of the most stressful and challenging. You will have the opportunity to learn from the best how to build your business, and your income. No more splitting your labor 60/40 with the house, simply more client leads, professional marketing designed to you improve your client base, easy to sell programs with the latest technology for tracking client sale, redemptions, and contact information. The majority of your business work is done by professionals for you. We are only accepting 10 Therapist as part of the beta testing program. If you’re interested in learning more please email coporate@massageadvantage.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Tony in Beaverton, Oregon

41 months ago

Amy Dunaway in Little Rock, Arkansas said: Press Release from the desk of the CEO of Massage Advantage. Massage Advantage is beta testing a “new” program carved out for Therapist who suffer from the same discontent we read here. This is one of the most exciting programs ever rereleased to the independent therapist looking for assistance in building their massage business. In today’s ultra competitive massage market if you wanting help with Social Media, Marketing, Branding, along Professional Advice Massage Advantage might have your answers. Being your own boss can be one of the most lucrative and rewarding events your life, but also one of the most stressful and challenging. You will have the opportunity to learn from the best how to build your business, and your income. No more splitting your labor 60/40 with the house, simply more client leads, professional marketing designed to you improve your client base, easy to sell programs with the latest technology for tracking client sale, redemptions, and contact information. The majority of your business work is done by professionals for you. We are only accepting 10 Therapist as part of the beta testing program. If you’re interested in learning more please email coporate@massageadvantage.com.

That doesn't make any sense. Why would a corporation whose job it is to maximize bottom line be so interested in helping other therapists be their own bosses? If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Day Dream Believer in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

41 months ago

Tony in Beaverton, Oregon said: That doesn't make any sense. Why would a corporation whose job it is to maximize bottom line be so interested in helping other therapists be their own bosses? If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

Very good points.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Tony in Beaverton, Oregon said: That doesn't make any sense. Why would a corporation whose job it is to maximize bottom line be so interested in helping other therapists be their own bosses? If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

This is a very fair question and the answer is even simpler. Because Massage Advantage’s massages are front loaded. Other words clients purchase massages thru Massage Advantage and they can earn a small return from each massage provided to their clients. What’s the value to a therapist who is trying to establish a business who can work a pre built program with clients ready and waiting to receive what you offer? Most current/former ME employees all speak of the low pay, lack of benefits, and over loaded work schedules. Well guess what you will earn double to quadruple what you have been earning and still be your own boss. Everyone who has ever built a business understands the sizable expense and learning curve involved. In this case you have most of the work done for you and your out of pocket is next to nothing! Want to know more just send them and email corporate@massageadvantage.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Tony in Beaverton, Oregon

41 months ago

You didn't really answer the question, Amy. "A small return from each massage" does not maximize profits for a large corporation like Massage Advantage. You again focused on the advantages to the therapist. A small return would not even cover the franchise fees much less rent and other overhead.

This sets off all my SCAM alarms full blast.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Tony in Beaverton, Oregon said: You didn't really answer the question, Amy. "A small return from each massage" does not maximize profits for a large corporation like Massage Advantage. You again focused on the advantages to the therapist. A small return would not even cover the franchise fees much less rent and other overhead.

This sets off all my SCAM alarms full blast.

Tony,

I believe you’re not understanding the Massage Advantage structure. They are NOT a franchise, although most likely you will see this program develop into one. But if and when that happens think about this, were not talking about a company that rolls into town and demands “ YOU MUST look like this, you MUST have this and that” those things cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. This is NOT the market Massage Advantage is going to fill. A franchise can cost as little as $1 all the way into millions, but this is in part based off the required time and cost to set up the franchise. This is also how they screen the average franchisee out. Why do you think most franchise owners are not MT’s? Cause most MT’s don’t have the resources to purchase a costly franchise. Think about this opportunity like you would the Starbucks kiosk you find at the mall or in a hotel lobby. They are not a full blown Starbucks, but rather a sublet support by brand and marketing from the parent company. Are they successful? Absolutely they are! Does it fill a void in the market, and do people invest in these smaller operations? Obviously! So do they have a place in the market? I bet you have even purchased from operations like these with great pleasure? Are these opportunities scams? Of course not. Massage Advantage has a plan and program in place to help thousands and thousands of MT’s meet there career goals. Also remember a lot of MT’s already have a place to practice their trade and simply need assistance in being competitive and profitable. Massage Advantage just filled the void! Please keep the

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

StacyMay71 in Denver, Colorado

41 months ago

Amy Dunaway in Little Rock, Arkansas said: Tony,

I believe you’re not understanding the Massage Advantage structure. They are NOT a franchise, although most likely you will see this program develop into one. But if and when that happens think about this, were not talking about a company that rolls into town and demands “ YOU MUST look like this, you MUST have this and that” those things cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. This is NOT the market Massage Advantage is going to fill. A franchise can cost as little as $1 all the way into millions, but this is in part based off the required time and cost to set up the franchise. This is also how they screen the average franchisee out. Why do you think most franchise owners are not MT’s? Cause most MT’s don’t have the resources to purchase a costly franchise. Think about this opportunity like you would the Starbucks kiosk you find at the mall or in a hotel lobby. They are not a full blown Starbucks, but rather a sublet support by brand and marketing from the parent company. Are they successful? Absolutely they are! Does it fill a void in the market, and do people invest in these smaller operations? Obviously! So do they have a place in the market? I bet you have even purchased from operations like these with great pleasure? Are these opportunities scams? Of course not. Massage Advantage has a plan and program in place to help thousands and thousands of MT’s meet there career goals. Also remember a lot of MT’s already have a place to practice their trade and simply need assistance in being competitive and profitable. Massage Advantage just filled the void! Please keep the

Thanks for the helpful insight. It’s about time someone comes up with a way to help. I think a lot of the negative comments toward helpful suggestions comes from Envy franchise owners looking to squash any ray of hope that Therapist can survive without them. They need us like rats in a cage to make their machines work, so if I can f

MicBen in Little Rock, Arkansas

41 months ago

Amy Dunaway in Little Rock, Arkansas said: Want to know more just send them and email corporate@massageadvantage.com

The email address does not work.

StacyMay71 in Denver, Colorado

41 months ago

MicBen in Little Rock, Arkansas said: The email address does not work.

I emailed them at Corporate@masssageadvantage.com and got a responce in 20 min.

MA Scam in Saint Paul, Minnesota

40 months ago

Massage Advantage is a very huge scam. The sit there and tell you they are going to do all the marketing for you and work with social media. All they do is run GROUPONS and LIVING SOCIAL for their clinic locations. The only difference is THEY keep the money so instead of you getting paid for vouchers that aren't redeemed, they do!

If you want direct mailers, online marketing, etc. Guess who is responsible for that expense? You!

It is one of the biggest scams I have ever seen. Stay away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MA Scam in Saint Paul, Minnesota

40 months ago

MA Scam in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: Massage Advantage is a very huge scam. The sit there and tell you they are going to do all the marketing for you and work with social media. All they do is run GROUPONS and LIVING SOCIAL for their clinic locations. The only difference is THEY keep the money so instead of you getting paid for vouchers that aren't redeemed, they do!

If you want direct mailers, online marketing, etc. Guess who is responsible for that expense? You!

It is one of the biggest scams I have ever seen. Stay away.

Go ahead and google "massage advantage groupon" or "massage advantage living social" and see what comes up.

If you are looking for discount coupon shoppers to build your practice you can do that yourself by running a groupon or living social deal, don't pay someone else to do that for you.

Just looking out for the MT's who already have enough problems trying to run their businesses and don't need another scammer taking advantage of them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.