Chiropractor VS. Spa - Which do you work at and why?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 198 of 198)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

MA Scam in Saint Paul, Minnesota

33 months ago

MA Scam in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: Massage Advantage is a very huge scam. The sit there and tell you they are going to do all the marketing for you and work with social media. All they do is run GROUPONS and LIVING SOCIAL for their clinic locations. The only difference is THEY keep the money so instead of you getting paid for vouchers that aren't redeemed, they do!

If you want direct mailers, online marketing, etc. Guess who is responsible for that expense? You!

It is one of the biggest scams I have ever seen. Stay away.

Go ahead and google "massage advantage groupon" or "massage advantage living social" and see what comes up.

If you are looking for discount coupon shoppers to build your practice you can do that yourself by running a groupon or living social deal, don't pay someone else to do that for you.

Just looking out for the MT's who already have enough problems trying to run their businesses and don't need another scammer taking advantage of them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DCnMN in Maple Grove, Minnesota

33 months ago

I’m a DC in MN that uses Massage Advantage. If you think this is all they do you must be a FRAUD yourself. I tried and tried to get listed with Groupon and Living Social and they kept telling me I was on "the list". Well after almost a year I gave up. Within weeks of joining Massage Advantage both of my MT's and my office were filled with new clients and patients. They never told me they did all the marketing. As a matter of fact they design all the marketing materials and I do pay for them, but that’s the same with every other business I own. My wife who owns a franchise even is required to spend a percentage of her gross revenues on adverting and at least they allow me to set my own budget. They also do all the online marketing for me and I receive new clients every week from their online shopping cart. Since this is a program offered in clinic at MY expense I don't see your point in saying "your looking out for the MT's"? You must not be a DC or MT, just some loose cannon with a competitor who is most likely is a competator getting their teeth knocked in from a better program. Like a Envious Envy owner??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

DCnMN in Maple Grove, Minnesota

33 months ago

MA Scam in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: Go ahead and google "massage advantage groupon" or "massage advantage living social" and see what comes up.

If you are looking for discount coupon shoppers to build your practice you can do that yourself by running a groupon or living social deal, don't pay someone else to do that for you.

Just looking out for the MT's who already have enough problems trying to run their businesses and don't need another scammer taking advantage of them.

I’m a DC in MN that uses Massage Advantage. If you think this is all they do you must be a FRAUD yourself. I tried and tried to get listed with Groupon and Living Social and they kept telling me I was on "the list". Well after almost a year I gave up. Within weeks of joining Massage Advantage both of my MT's and my office were filled with new clients and patients. They never told me they did all the marketing. As a matter of fact they design all the marketing materials and I do pay for them, but that’s the same with every other business I own. My wife who owns a franchise even is required to spend a percentage of her gross revenues on adverting and at least they allow me to set my own budget. They also do all the online marketing for me and I receive new clients every week from their online shopping cart. Since this is a program offered in clinic at MY expense I don't see your point in saying "your looking out for the MT's"? You must not be a DC or MT, just some loose cannon with a competitor who is most likely is a competator getting their teeth knocked in from a better program. Like a Envious Envy owner??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Massage Mom in Hurst, Texas

33 months ago

If anyone thinks getting listed with Living Social and Groupon is easy your crazy! I wanted to run them for my staff but we couldn't afford to take the hit. I called today and spoke to the folks at Massage Advantage on how they can make this work without the MT only earning $15 or less for a massage? After they told me how they do it I can see why they promoting so heavily on coupon media. Excellent concept and if I were not commited to another 2 year lease I would work at one of their centers. If your and MT looking to get started they have a very fair compensation schedule compared to alot of other massage offices. Turns out you really dont work for Massage Advantage you work for the clinic that uses Massage Advantage's programs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

melita in Lehigh Acres, Florida

33 months ago

Melissa said: Work for chiro.In the past we have had unloyal massage therapist trying to take patients out of practice and offering them cheaper rates. We want to grow a loyal team of employees and create a system which benefits the pateient with great care and results from treatment. Would like to hear from MT as to what would be your dream pay and what would keep you loyal as a tema member to a pracvtice and grow together ????

What would work is a positive work environment where each person gets along professionally and are friendly with each other. The place of employment should pay a decent wage,and not take advantage of the massage therpaist which happens everywhere it seems. 10 to 15 an hour is not enough for the kind of work a massage therapist does, especially one that cares about their patients welfare. Treat the therapist decently with respect. Massage therapist aren't robots they need breaks like anyone else. That is it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ChiroLMT in Sarasota, Florida

33 months ago

Would like to hear from MT as to what would be your dream pay and what would keep you loyal as a tema member to a pracvtice and grow together ????

- Pay me regardless of what I'm doing. In between patients, I'm still busting my butt for you, whether it's making the clinic presentable, charting, or returning phone calls. My time is definitely worth something.
- Pay me a decent rate. $15 when I'm doing marketing or front desk, at LEAST $20 when I'm doing massage work (and that's low).
- Offer me bonuses based on MY performance, as well as the overall performance.
- Reimburse me at least 50% on any CEUs I take that benefit my work in the clinic and make me a better employee; give me incentive to continue my education and be a better worker. (This would be a huge incentive to me as an LMT yet cost the employer little while benefiting greatly from it.)
- Major holidays off, paid. My birthday off, paid, or a day close to it if it's a weekend.
- One week of vacation in the first year after 90 days, two weeks a year from years 2-4, and three weeks or more after 5 years.
- Supply what I need to do my job. If I want to use other tools/sheets/etc. I can do so at my own expense, or you can buy it if you think I have a strong enough reason. Allow me to bring in and use my own tools to make my job easier.
- You can dictate what the goals of the treatment program are and how I'm allowed to get there. (IE: Increase range of motion abduction by X% using manual therapy for 1 unit.) Allow ME to determine what techniques to use and what muscles to treat.
- Tell me specifically when raises come, how they're determined, etc.
- Listen to my limitations. X/time massage/day with X break between to change over the room and X break for self-care between X sessions.
- ASK ME before you change when you need me at the office. Don't assume I'm available if I was supposed to be off (unless I knew I was "on call" at that time)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ChiroLMT in Sarasota, Florida

33 months ago

Also:

Realize that I am a service provider. I do NOT make any money when I'm not actually working. Yet at the same time, I have a highly physical job that has a a high burnout rate. I NEED to be able to care for myself both mentally and physically. I need to be able to take time off when I'm sick, to take vacations, and time for things like doctor's appointments and such. I either need some paid time off OR I need to be paid enough when I am on the clock to make up for it.

Treat me like a human being. Let me know what's on your mind (I can't read it). If I do something wrong, please tell me *specifically* what I did, what you want instead, and what your reasoning is. If I can figure out the madness behind the method, I'm likely to make a much better choice in the future.

Keep the office a positive and uplifted place. Offer support and encourage employees to support each other especially on crazy days. Have inside jokes. Laugh. I spend more time with my coworkers than I do with my family; there are ways to keep every day positive and fun. Patients will notice the difference too!

Offer training. If you want something done a certain way, let's practice it. Let's go over it. As a team. Make sure everyone is on the same page. Practice it together. And again. Praise between patients when things go right, especially new things that we've been working on!

Don't make one person the janitor. Realize it's a TEAM. Everyone should be responsible for the appearance of the office. Take turns with chores like trash, vacuuming, etc. Take turns checking the patient bathroom to make sure it's stocked. Have a rotating schedule or an arrangement (one person's area of responsibility is X this week) and make sure employees are following it. NO ONE ENJOYS doing these things; more hands make lighter work.

Owners/managers need someone OUTSIDE of work to vent to. Venting to staff brings down morale. A LOT. Especially about money. That's what friends are for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rosie in Santa Monica, California

32 months ago

I've been a massage therapist in California for almost 20 years. 20 years ago, the first chiropractic office I worked for paid me $25.00 per hour. Since then I've made anywhere between $25 to $60 per hour in either a chiropractic or physical therapy office. I was very fortunate to have worked with sports medicine doctors that appreciated their massage therapists and believed strongly that soft/deep tissue therapy was one of the most important treatments for their patients. There are chiropractors out there that pay minimal..., I know I've interviewed at these offices and I feel a little insulted when I've been offered so little; for example $15-$20 per hour. If you're lucky enough to work for a clinic that pays at least $30 plus an hour I think it's very fair. The patients at clinics can tip from anywhere from $5.00 to $20.00. The doctors usually have steady schedules for massage if they themselves are great doctors. I feel like clinics have a stable amount of appointments but tip very little. I've worked at spas that pay from $18.00 to $45.00 per hour but the tips are much better $10.00 to $40.00 per massage. You'll get the few that tip $5.00. You get tipped more but I've experienced more cancellations in spa environment. Work somewhere that is reputable, doctors that work with athletes and can train you advance techniques on soft tissue therapy and stretching. Educate yourself and take ongoing classes. Take advance anatomy classes in college, it will help you understand the body and become a better therapist. Patients/clients can tell how much you know after their first session with you. I've been offered a raise because patients rescheduled for months in advance. This industry requires trust built between therapist and patient. Better paying jobs are out there but if you temporarily have to work somewhere for less..., work at a place where you can learn and has a reputable name(build your resume and experience).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Frogie 3 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

32 months ago

I am taking my test in a couple of weeks. I am going to be looking for work soon as a licensed Massage Therapist, I need to know what to expect in an interview ( questions, pay rate etc.... ) I will be applying at Spas, Chiro Offices, Hospitals, we had to do 200 massages in order to graduate. Please let me know what is the best way to go. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beachie Girl in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

31 months ago

Hi I am new to this discussion board, I went to school in order to become a licensed massage therapist, I passed my test, sent all my paperwork for the national and state license, I had some background trouble almost 8 years ago I was denied license for the national. I had to file an appeal for them and I won the appeal. I sent everything to Florida board and was informed today that I fall under a law that was passed on July 1st 2009, and they said that Oct 21st 2011 that my case would go in front of the board, that it was a formallity, that I am going to be denied a license to work because of this law, they said that I could take it to Circuit court of appeals but I probably wont win. I need to know if anyone else has had to do this and what was the outcome, is the any type of work I can do with my massage experience so my training doesn't go to waste???? Please reply I dont know where to turn right now. Thanks Beachie Girl

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ms. V in Lancaster, California

31 months ago

Hi There!!

I just want to let know that i've been MT for 4 yrs on my own and it's been hard. So I'm now planning to intro myself in a Hair Salon with a 10min Chair Massage, but i haven't checked if i need license for this in da Antelope Valley...so does any 1 know if it's nesse for da license?....Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle

30 months ago

If with a group of therapist ask them what they think should be the code (rules) for them and make sure everyone on that team has the right to even question the boss about the code. So If the boss is not following the code the others will not either.
have loads of info. to share and will be able to share more if you would like.
Mark

Hi Mark, would love to talk to you about your business model. Have been a massage therapist for 15 yrs and worked with various docs but would love to set up something like your business. I am already incorporated and have my NPI#, trying to get provider numbers for the individual insurance companies now, have done insurance billing in Florida and have actually found a company to do electronic billing for me for $20 a month, or $29 for unlimited filing. Anyway, please let me know how I can get in touch with you to talk about your business model so I can see if it is what I would like to incorporate into my business. Set up in a chiro's office now but would love to offer services to different chiros in the area that don't have a massage therapist. Thanks for any help you can offer. Shell

XrossKore in Lapeer, Michigan

30 months ago

Michelle said: If with a group of therapist ask them what they think should be the code (rules) for them and make sure everyone on that team has the right to even question the boss about the code. So If the boss is not following the code the others will not either.
have loads of info. to share and will be able to share more if you would like.
Mark

Hi Mark, would love to talk to you about your business model. Have been a massage therapist for 15 yrs and worked with various docs but would love to set up something like your business. I am already incorporated and have my NPI#, trying to get provider numbers for the individual insurance companies now, have done insurance billing in Florida and have actually found a company to do electronic billing for me for $20 a month, or $29 for unlimited filing. Anyway, please let me know how I can get in touch with you to talk about your business model so I can see if it is what I would like to incorporate into my business. Set up in a chiro's office now but would love to offer services to different chiros in the area that don't have a massage therapist. Thanks for any help you can offer. Shell

Hello Shell
XrossKore.com is the email addy. Would love to find out more about what you are looking for.
Thank you Mark

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

JayJ1964 in Wilmington, Delaware said: Hi Mark, Do you accept insurance in your offices & handle the billing with insurance companies or do you not use insurance, I mean the patience insurance, not liability. Also do the therapists that work for you work as a seperate independent contractor through you or are they an employee of yours, if so how do you handle paying them, do they get a percentage? I'm really interested in the route you took. Thank's for any info!

Yes I do Innsurance and have a biller that works with me. Yes the MT's work with me and they get paid per massage as an Independent contractor.
Also get a % of what is done for the week and set up profit sharing per quarter. If we exceed our goals then another % paid from that. We do set up non paid chair events and they are designed to promote all the therapist. If you don't get your hands on people they don't know who or what you do. It takes the risk out of the customer coming to see you.
Hope this helps.

30 months ago

Kris in Fox River Grove, Illinois said: Hi Mark,

I am definitely interested in your "process". I am located in the Chicagoland area, and am looking to create a business where I have therapists working for me. Any info you can provide would be appreciated. -Kris

Hello Kris,
I would love to share some info with you. Please send me an email to
XrossKore@gmail.com and I can help. Let me know what you are looking for so I can assist you.
Thank you Mark

Rhoda in Niagara Falls, Ontario

30 months ago

Elizabeth in Castries, Saint Lucia said: Hello to all massage therapist.I did my training 5 yrs ago with National School of Technology in Miami Florida.I must say that was one of the best thing I ever did for my self. I relocate to the beautiful Saint Lucia, where I open my massage clinic, so far the money is flowing nicely and my clientele is growing pretty well.I help many people who were suffering with muscles pain, especially lower back pain. I have a reputation is good out there, my work speak for it self.I put my all to it and it pays.

Thanks to National School of Technology who makes a difference in my life.
My advise to massage therapist out there,don't give up on your dreams, it will be hard in the beginning weather you work on your own or with someone else, love what you do be the best that you can be and you will see the benefits at the end.

You are right about not giving up your dreams. I just got my licence in Ontario and i opened my own business where i go to people's homes. It is really slow building the clientele. So I work part time with a chiropractor, she pays me $55.50 / hour. I will have to advertise in many places to get my own clients.

Meredith in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

29 months ago

Katie,
I am a new massage therapist in South Florida. I am looking to work at a high end spa that will hire me as a salaried therapist. What would you say the hourly pay for service would be down here? (a basic one hour swedish is $130) Thanks! :)

Katie in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Shannon-
I am in S.FLA and working in a high end spa doing
massage and body treatments as an independant contractor
making 40-45% (body tx less). Before working here and
looking I would take into consideration the facicities
prices. If they are charging less than $80 for a traditional
sweedish massage I would say more like %40. As far as
an hourly rate, I would suggest $10-$15 hr when you are
not massaging, especially if they have a smaller faciclity,
and hope that you will help out with daily chores. Also
make sure you inspect the facility very well for cleanliness
and quality of products, sheets and towels. Another thing to
take into consideration is clientele tipping? Good, bad, or
non existant?

29 months ago

How much is 1 Hr massage at the high end spa where you work?

29 months ago

How much is 1Hr massage at the high end spa where u work?

Claire in Joliet, Illinois

29 months ago

therapistinga in Atlanta, Georgia said: A chiropractor will treat you well if you have confidence in your work. They tend to think they are godlike but if you find one you like well enough it's a good way to really learn how to be a therapeutic practitioner addressing peoples pain instead of a "feel good" therapist. Both are great ...just depends on you

Why in the world would a chiro have a godlike impression of them selves? LOL Im not saying I doubt you at all, as I've never worked for a chiro, but do they realize that most people in mainstream society think chiro's are quacks and unethical?

I can see a doctor or surgeon having a godlike complexes but a chiro??? They need a reality check...

Claire in Joliet, Illinois

29 months ago

jaime hanisch, lmt,nctmb in Morgantown, West Virginia said: i work for a chiro and get paid $6.oo per unit, so i am only getting paid for work performed, i am required to be there from open to close during business hours. he holds mandatory meetings that we ( the massage therapists) do not get paid for but get repremanded if late arriving to them, and he also does helth fairs and bridal shows that he mandates our time for and will not pay us, im still trying to figure out if that is legal. i like the fact that he gives us cients and takes care of everything but i donot enjoy voulunteering my time for mandatory functions of his bisness.

You will be treated as poorly as you allow yourself to be treated. You know your getting taken advantage of, I dont think you need validation from people on the internet. Instead of volunteering your time and energy into meetings and and health fairs to "build a team" to make someone else a profit.....put that time and energy into making your own profits. Go to the health fair, but go their promoting a business for yourself. You can get very cheap flyers and business cards from Vistaprint. It doesn't cost much to rent office space. Or even partner up with one other massage therapist and split the cost and agree to work the health fairs together. You can build your own clientele.

wrightlizj@ymail.com in Bend, Oregon

27 months ago

I have been a massage therapist over 20 years. I have worked for Chiropractors,Spas and on my own. As far as my chiropractic experience it really depends on how busy the doctor is. Sometimes I ended up doing 30 spinal massages in one day.. including, ultrasound treatments, setting patients up to cervical and pelvic traction units, working with all other sorts of Physical Therapy modalities. After 13 years experience in this one office, I was a trained physical therapist way under-paid. Spas- one particular golf resort-spa in Carefree, AZ. started me out at 45.00 per massage plus tips..excellent pay! somedays 8 clients..60-90min. to some clients 2 hour massages..hard on the body..and there is the seasonal factor..Feast and Famon! So it is true! Save your money! new therapist..be good to your own body! Get massages yourselves and excersie, heat healthy! Practice what we Preach! I started in my 30's now I am in my 50's..and I need this career to survive! It is hands on loving energy so take care of you so you can take care of your clients for a long time! God Bless You All for Your Blesse Craft!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wrightlizj@ymail.com in Bend, Oregon

27 months ago

I have been a massage therapist over 20 years. I have worked for Chiropractors,Spas and on my own. As far as my chiropractic experience it really depends on how busy the doctor is. Sometimes I ended up doing 30 spinal massages in one day.. including, ultrasound treatments, setting patients up to cervical and pelvic traction units, working with all other sorts of Physical Therapy modalities. After 13 years experience in this one office, I was a trained physical therapist way under-paid. Spas- one particular golf resort-spa in Carefree, AZ. started me out at 45.00 per massage plus tips..excellent pay! somedays 8 clients..60-90min. to some clients 2 hour massages..hard on the body..and there is the seasonal factor..Feast or Famon! So it is true! Save your money! new therapist..be good to your own body! Get massages yourselves and excersie, heat healthy! Practice what we Preach! I started in my 30's now I am in my 50's..and I need this career to survive! It is hands on loving energy so take care of you so you can take care of your clients for a long time! God Bless You All for Your Blessed Craft!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

JOJO in Spring Hill, Florida

27 months ago

I was just let go from a chiropractors office for telling clients that I did in home massage and massage and facial parties outside of that job. No non-compete paper had never been signed nor was there ever any conversation of what was expected of me. I was told the position was open by a young chiropractor that had just started there, and for whom I had worked filling in as a fill in massage therapist. He liked me and my work ethics as far as always being available for him. However, the office he worked in prior also did 1 hour relaxation massages for $40, of which I got $24 (and on rare occations a tip). I did not share what my other endevours with those clients. Anyhow, the practice that he was now working at, did not do relaxation massage. As a matter of fact the were about 98% PIP cases. Maybe I should have asked the office manager if it was ok to talk about my other endevoirs, but it was'nt like I was giving out my phone number or cards! It really is to bad, I did like the Doctors they treated me with respect and really talked to me about the client care plan. But if the office manager does'nt like you and is married to the Doctor you are in trouble.

myHolisticServices.com in Austin, Texas

27 months ago

I would say no to SPAs and no to Chiropractors. The best is to work on your own and create a reputation. Our website (www.myHolisticServices.com) is enabeling massage therapists to create a profile, bid on massage auctions in their area, receive testimonials, get promoted for free if they are active and receive good reviews. Be your own boss and get the money your worth in full, not just 20%-30% of it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Choonks in Minneapolis, Minnesota

25 months ago

Hi Elizabeth, I really need some assistance in relocating to St.Lucia to practice massage. I have been contacting schools and programs but it has been a bit difficult in getting all the information needed as to what qualifications are needed to practice. Hopefully you can help me with some of my questions. I will wait to here back from before bombarding you with questions right away. lol

Thanks

Elizabeth in Castries, Saint Lucia said: Hello to all massage therapist.I did my training 5 yrs ago with National School of Technology in Miami Florida.I must say that was one of the best thing I ever did for my self. I relocate to the beautiful Saint Lucia, where I open my massage clinic, so far the money is flowing nicely and my clientele is growing pretty well.I help many people who were suffering with muscles pain, especially lower back pain. I have a reputation is good out there, my work speak for it self.I put my all to it and it pays.

Thanks to National School of Technology who makes a difference in my life.
My advise to massage therapist out there,don't give up on your dreams, it will be hard in the beginning weather you work on your own or with someone else, love what you do be the best that you can be and you will see the benefits at the end.

Slade in Seattle, Washington

25 months ago

Hello. I'm thinking about getting my license as an MT in Seattle, WA. There are a couple of schools here locally; does anybody know about which ones are reputable and offer a wide range of styles/methodologies? I'm currently debating between Cortiva and Everest, but if there are any others nearby I'm missing or if there's anything I should know about one of those, I'm all ears.

Thanks, and it's been great reading this thread and getting an idea of life in the trenches, as it were. :)

Lanay in Huntington Park, California

25 months ago

jaime hanisch, lmt,nctmb in Morgantown, West Virginia said: i work for a chiro and get paid $6.oo per unit, so i am only getting paid for work performed, i am required to be there from open to close during business hours. he holds mandatory meetings that we ( the massage therapists) do not get paid for but get repremanded if late arriving to them, and he also does helth fairs and bridal shows that he mandates our time for and will not pay us, im still trying to figure out if that is legal. i like the fact that he gives us cients and takes care of everything but i donot enjoy voulunteering my time for mandatory functions of his bisness.

I am just out of Massage School. I went on an interview and the Chiropractor offered me a 2 day trial period before he would possibly hire me. He said he only pays massage therapists $10 an hour. During the trial period he said on $20 for the entire day. He had me work a 10 hour shift with only 1 lunch and no bathroom or water breaks. I ended up getting injured. My arm was swollen and sharp piercing pain in my lower back. I asked my director of program I graduated from and he says nobody no massage therapist should work a 10 hour shift. He said right out of school 4 hours max 6 and that is pushing it. I had to call out of my second trial day. I never got to talk to the doctor. I e-mailed him and left him a message. He never called to see if I was even ok. On top of this he had files all over the floor, not alphabetized, papers rabdomly everywhere. He got upset with me because i was unable to find files quick enough. Was I wrong not to go back. Some people say I should have stayed others agreed with me that I should not work in those conditions. Any advise would help. Also my program director said the dr should have known better than to work me 10 hours.

25 months ago

Unfortunately we let the chiropractors get away with this behavior. Usually, in a busy chiropractors office, our work not only pays our wages, but more often than not the entire office staffs wages. And what about the money the chiropractor is bringing in? Well thats easy, IT'S ALL HIS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Karma06 in Ohio

24 months ago

Hi everyone!

I am looking for some advice! I am an LMT working for a chiropractors office. I have 5 years experience. At the moment I am an IC. They provide all the supplies, advertising, etc. I make 50% commission which is $13/30min and $27/60min. I work about 15 hours a week. Sometimes I am booked solid and sometimes I only have 1 appt. The chiropractor I work for presented me with a full-time employee position (40 hours/week) where I would just make a flat hourly rate doing massage along with office duties, helping in PT, etc. He wants me to present an hourly rate to him that I would want to make for doing this. Does anyone have any suggestions for what a fair hourly rate would be? The only reason I want to do this is to make more money, not work more hours for hardly any extra income....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Beth

24 months ago

Depending on your market place $12-$16 per hour is the normal range. If I were you I would either have your Doctor or join Massage Advantage as and Independebt Retailer. For less than $400 you can get their business in a box to get you started. I also know they offer scheduling software thru Mind & Body cheaper than you can buy it on your own. Your income ranges from $ 36 per hour to $63 per hour depending on the units sold. This is the simplest, most cost effective program Ive ever heard of for MT's.

24 months ago

I worked in a chiro office in much the same capacity you are talking about. They pay $15. I have not been doing massage as long as you, however I did PRN fill in at chiropractors all over town. The main problem is exactley what you said, it's feast or famine. I finally started working for a spa. I am making "MUCH" more money. The down side to the spa is that I have to work on Saturdays. Now that I have seen how much potential money there is to be made, my facialist friend and I are going to stop working for other people and open our own spa.

I understand some people are just more comfortable with the idea of working 9-5 or 6 in a chiro office, I thought I was too, but we all need to make a living. If you have worked for this doctor for a while, and he values you, he will have no problem paying you $15 to $20 an hour. After all, you know as well as I good, reliable massage therapists are hard to come by, and trust me he does not want to have to try to replace you! Good luck. If you think $20 is too much then ask for $18, but I would'nt go any lower.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Karma06 in Chillicothe, Ohio

24 months ago

JOJO in Spring Hill, Florida said: I worked in a chiro office in much the same capacity you are talking about. They pay $15. I have not been doing massage as long as you, however I did PRN fill in at chiropractors all over town. The main problem is exactley what you said, it's feast or famine. I finally started working for a spa. I am making "MUCH" more money. The down side to the spa is that I have to work on Saturdays. Now that I have seen how much potential money there is to be made, my facialist friend and I are going to stop working for other people and open our own spa.

I understand some people are just more comfortable with the idea of working 9-5 or 6 in a chiro office, I thought I was too, but we all need to make a living. If you have worked for this doctor for a while, and he values you, he will have no problem paying you $15 to $20 an hour. After all, you know as well as I good, reliable massage therapists are hard to come by, and trust me he does not want to have to try to replace you! Good luck. If you think $20 is too much then ask for $18, but I would'nt go any lower.

Thanks JOJO that helps! :)

Lingling in Plano, Texas

20 months ago

sheri in Lake Worth, Florida said: well you are one of those Therapist that allows a Chiro to take advantage of our skills. Wow he raised your pay to 15,when he collects triple that. Hold your head up high and know how you should be treated.

Insurance(ex. BlueCross BlueShield) only pay CPT 97140 manual therapy $21.15 for 8 to 23 minutes(massage similar pay). It is very difficult to charge more than one session. Insurance will not pay for it. I never successful to charge 2 sessions so I give up. Please ask your DC show you the bill so you know what is going on in the real world. I show my MT the bill to make her understand. The DC provide you the space and deal with insurance with document to get that little money. You real think it is so easy to deal with insurance company. Lots of time insurance don't pay the DC too. 85% DC clinic are out of business because they don't make enough. All my staff and my MT are like my family. We help each other to survive. Please do your research before you say any word. You can try to open your own clinic to see what is going on in the real world too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lgd22 in Atlanta, Georgia

16 months ago

Hey LMTs.....I work for two different Chiros...one is a cash only business and the other insurance based.
cash only offers 1hr massage for 40, we get 20. Insurance base charges 90-120, we only get 30 outta that...terrible! We get tips, sometimes I make 100 in a weekend and other times maybe 20. Ive never worked in a spa environment. Im thinkinng of dropping the cash only and adding a spa in its place, just because I believe I will come out with more money with a lower hourly wage, more clients, more tips...

Kerri in Fort Worth, Texas

14 months ago

Melissa said: Work for chiro.In the past we have had unloyal massage therapist trying to take patients out of practice and offering them cheaper rates. We want to grow a loyal team of employees and create a system which benefits the pateient with great care and results from treatment. Would like to hear from MT as to what would be your dream pay and what would keep you loyal as a tema member to a pracvtice and grow together ????

I'm in the Houston area. My dream job would be to work as an employee, $30 - $35 an hour. Working no more than 35 hrs per week. A one week paid vacation per year along with some 401k & health insurance plans for me to invest in. Oh, and Of course having all of my supplies adequately stocked at the clinic, since I'd be working there as an employee, the Chiro is the one who'll be claiming all of those tax cuts, instead of me. Having all these terms to be written out in a contract and agreed to by all parties involved.

MT in Fraser, Michigan

12 months ago

Chiropractors must have a massage therapist and to be honest or their 10 min. adjustment wont stay as well if they don't have a MT on their staff. Chiropractors devalue MT's but the truth is that the adjustments without a massage don't stay as long. Chiropractors should treat MT's MUCH better but they don't. No raise, Very little base pay, no benifits. they will squeeze time and money out of you..make you clean your own linens..not pay you for your extra time..make you feel guilty when you dont do free 5min. massages for very little money if any. When those 5 min. chair massages are very hard on hands..and back..

Muscles are what pulls the bones out of place along with all the abuse we do to our bodies from wear and tear - But , Chiropractors don't want you to feel important. Because they know our hour of massage prior to the adjustment makes them look like the best Adjuster on the planet and holds their work in long enough to heal the client...And makes the chiro's job a dream because the muscles are loose and are easier way easier to adjust.

But, Chiro's don't want MT's to know that. And mistreat us..even though they need us much more then they will ever admit.

There are many advantages and disadvantages to working with a Chiropractor:

MT in Fraser, Michigan

12 months ago

Pro's with working under a Chiro:
1) Clinical environment
2) Get a different set of Clients that will take you more therapeutically right away but expect you to speak and know and understand therapeutic practice.
3) I have never been approached for anything rude..especially since the client will often see me and the Chiropractor. Sets up more professional environment.
5)You get a set of clients from working with the Chiropractor

CONS:
1) Chiropractor typically undervalues the Massage Therapist. Even thought we make them look good by getting the muscles relaxed to let them have to work less to give a better adjustment.
2) Can not write anything off working as employee.
3) Sometimes Chiropractors wont let you work on clients with out an adjustment.
4) i have never met a Chiropractor who paid a MT fairly. They always cheapen us to the lowest they can and give us NO benefits NO VACATION PAY.
5)A lot of times Chiropractors can get away with paying you by the massage instead of by the "hour"...supposed to get 18 an hour? oh, wait, they made my schedule 4 consecutive hour sessions - oh wait..that's 18 per massage. We get cheated. They charge 90 / hr and can change an insurance company and make bank.
6)For an MT to have to have insurance, Certificates and keep up wit education and the like..we are expected to pay alot out a year and we typically don't make enough o justify that
7) YOU DON'T WORK 40 HR WORK WEEKS AS MASSAGE THERAPIST. YOU JUST DON'T. YOU WONT MAKE ENOUGH TO JUSTIFY DOING MASSAGE AS CAREER BEFORE YOU BURN OUT, UNLESS YOU OWN YOUR OWN BUSINESS. FACT. THIS IS FACT. Unless you are a TEACHER at a school, or own your own business..you will work your tail off and not get the return.
8) 40 hrs wrk week wont happen. You wont be able to sustain it. I love giving massage, but you will BURN OUT...and wont be able to do them anymore. - My best advice is don't quite your day job - Do massage as side job. Ends don't justify means as in profits.

MT in Fraser, Michigan

12 months ago

JOJO in Spring Hill, Florida said: I worked in a chiro office in much the same capacity you are talking about. They pay $15. I have not been doing massage as long as you, however I did PRN fill in at chiropractors all over town. The main problem is exactley what you said, it's feast or famine. I finally started working for a spa. I am making "MUCH" more money. The down side to the spa is that I have to work on Saturdays. Now that I have seen how much potential money there is to be made, my facialist friend and I are going to stop working for other people and open our own spa.

That is the issue: you can not do massages all day long for 18 / hr. If you pulled 4 sessions you should make at least 30-35 a session. Chiropractors take advantage of MT's..to much..its horrible.

MT in Fraser, Michigan

12 months ago

DCnMN in Maple Grove, Minnesota said: I’m a DC in MN that uses Massage Advantage. If you think this is all they do you must be a FRAUD yourself. I tried and tried to get listed with Groupon and Living Social and they kept telling me I was on "the list". Well after almost a year I gave up. Within weeks of joining Massage Advantage both of my MT's and my office were filled with new clients and patients. They never told me they did all the marketing. As a matter of fact they design all the marketing materials and I do pay for them, but that’s the same with every other business I own. My wife who owns a franchise even is required to spend a percentage of her gross revenues on adverting and at least they allow me to set my own budget. They also do all the online marketing for me and I receive new clients every week from their online shopping cart. Since this is a program offered in clinic at MY expense I don't see your point in saying "your looking out for the MT's"? You must not be a DC or MT, just some loose cannon with a competitor who is most likely is a competator getting their teeth knocked in from a better program. Like a Envious Envy owner??

Chiropractors DO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF Massage therapists. We get 18/hr we work that entire hour. A chiropractor works 10 mins. AFTER we loosened up the muscles and made the job easy for ya..and then a MT gets like oh , a lousy 18/hr..and you guys charge 90 a session to insurance..yea..

Massage therapists get SCAMMED ALL THE TIME..We get taken advantage of. We have to get more credentials and get more education every year then most doctors. I dont know a single doc that has to get education credits every year to only make 18/hr..its a joke..and a MT works way harder then any Adjuster..takes you guys 10 mins. We are working muscles for an hour..AN HOUR..

MT in Fraser, Michigan

12 months ago

You were completely mistreated. And it happens a lot with Chiropractors. We were taught in school that you can not work hourly shifts like a normal job. And you just can't especially if your working Deep Tissue. Deep Tissue is a lot of work..way more work then a Chiropracter does in a 10 min. adjustment.

Dont work for 10 / hr. just walk away laughing. Dont accept that. Ididnt. When looking for work..i would laugh at a clinic if they offered that amount - and wouldnt do it. You cant afford it. There is only a small window in our short lives and when we devote it to helping others dont cheat yourself..try to make enough to be a valuable side job at least lol..

Massage isnt a full time job - its part time. It is a good job if your significant other is working full time and you work part time to help pay bills...but you cant do MT full time unless your 18 and even then you will only do it a small amount of time before you BURN OUT.

MT in Fraser, Michigan

12 months ago

Lingling in Plano, Texas said: Insurance (ex. BlueCross BlueShield) only pay CPT 97140 manual therapy $21.15 for 8 to 23 minutes(massage similar pay). It is very difficult to charge more than one session. Insurance will not pay for it. I never successful to charge 2 sessions so I give up. Please ask your DC show you the bill so you know what is going on in the real world. I show my MT the bill to make her understand. The DC provide you the space and deal with insurance with document to get that little money. You real think it is so easy to deal with insurance company. Lots of time insurance don't pay the DC too. 85% DC clinic are out of business because they don't make enough. All my staff and my MT are like my family. We help each other to survive. Please do your research before you say any word. You can try to open your own clinic to see what is going on in the real world too.

- That is not an MT's problem. In fact, you can collect cash or make a client pay instead of doing insurance. The chiropractor i worked for charged 90 a hr session 45/half hr..i got 18 / hr.. insurance paying about 35 of it..and only paid me 18. That means he made A LOT OF PROFIT. Massage therapists dont take up MORE then what is already at the shop..we are there same amount of time you use your electricty and you will pay the same for rent..if we were not there... The rooms will be there even if we are not..and we even bring in more clients. In fact, if your running your business right - you inform the client why they pay for a massage. you do NOT lower your wages to bring in less profits..your only hurting your business and will lower the quality of your employee and lower your standard of service. A well trained MT wont work for 10/hr.

MT in Fraser, Michigan

12 months ago

That is another issue. 30 yrs ago there were no regulations..no requirements ..no educational costs..no certs..no licenses..no insurance requirements..

that means more money back then to the MT lol.

I love massage..i do it for the love of it..but i can not rely on it for profits when working for someone else.

BIBI in Langhorne, Pennsylvania

11 months ago

sheri in Lake Worth, Florida said: well you are one of those Therapist that allows a Chiro to take advantage of our skills. Wow he raised your pay to 15,when he collects triple that. Hold your head up high and know how you should be treated.

I am marketer for a DC. He pays me $9/hr to bring patients in for massage therapists. Without me massage therapist won't have people to massage. Also, there is other cost of marketing material.

11 months ago

DC pays me $9/hr to bring new clients in for the massage therapists. Also, there is other marketing material costs. Without me, the marketer, massage therapists won't have any clients.

11 months ago

Massage in Missoula in Missoula, Montana said: My DC paid me 13/half hour treatment ( worked on them for 25 min.)to begin with then raised me to $15 he also allowed me to take my clients to my private practice so long as they kept seeing me right before their DC treatments as well.

My DC was GREAT he paid me every week, billed for me, encouraged(almost required)his clients to see me, and only asked that once a month I make myself available at the Chamber of Commerce meetings. Those meeting usually included wine, food , drawings for free cool stuff and me doing chair massages for a short time and then enjoying the "meeting".SO I had a totally different experience than most with my DC. I loved it. Did I mention he provided EVERYTHING except linens.

I am marketer and get clients for massage therapists. I charge $9 per hour to DC. Also there is material cost for marketing.

11 months ago

DC in California in San Diego, California said: I would like to comment... How many of you MT's out there are bringing in new clients and referring them to your D.C.? I have found that most MT's want to be spoon fed their clients. The cost and effort of client acquisition is enormous. I suggest that if you are not happy working for a D.C. move on. You are not only limiting yourself but the D.C. as well and that does not serve the public. A successful staff works as a team with the primary goal of serving the public. Also, if you are an MT in CA making $30 an hour as an employee and the cost of a one hour massage is $60. After payroll and taxes the D.C. just about breaks even. I think most of you should go out on your own for a while and get a taste of what its like to build a practice from the ground up. It will only make you better at what you do.

I charge $9 hourly and bonus to bring clients to my DC's office. I am marketer and without my service, Massage Therapists won't have clients. Also, there are other expenses for marketing. Events, direct mailing, follow up calls, retention calls etc. This is why many massage therapists won't go their own because they won't be able to afford someone like me. There is big competition out there and it is very very costly to acquire and retain clients. If I don't stay on top of my job, clients migrate very easily to others just based on lower massage price. Massage is massage and there are many good therapists out there. It is really competitive out there and I have to work harder and harder... each day to keep our massage therapists busy.

pvcra06 in Moline, Illinois

5 days ago

sheri in Boynton Beach, Florida said: well I thought I would be doing massages alone,now wants us the MT's to take out the trash at the end of the night,wipe down Chiro's tables,file. Somebody out there,please share what the MT's do at a Chiro's office. Times are hard,but should I put up with this crap,did I get my license to take out trash?

Depending on your state and if you are considered an employee or subcontractor. If you are a subcontractor and pay rent this is considered illegal, they are not allowed to treat you like an employee. If they do there can be some major tax ramifications. If you get paid hourly and they pay part of your taxes then you are an employee and you have to do as they say!

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.