Internationally Massage Qualifications

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 223)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

JKB in Vancouver, British Columbia

60 months ago

johnnymorrison66 in London, United Kingdom said: Just a question, who gets the 3000 hours worth of free massages you need to qualify! and how would any student find the time to work to support themselves in the meantime?

Yes, the massage therapy program in BC is 3000 hours to be a 'registered' massage therapist. Few people do find part time work while attending school, however, it is not recommended, as the course is intense with a heavy workload. Some students do fail a course because of work, if this happens, the student is then required to retake the course before progressing onwards. Many students take out a 'maximum' student loan and rely on family (&/or) friends to assist them to get by (like myself).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

mr. SBA in Legaspi, Philippines

60 months ago

i'm a practising massage therapist i earned my thai massage training at chetawan-watpo thai massage school in bangkok. i also learned basic treatment massage as part of training but i do most of the former. i want to be employed in the US or state that could give working visa or maybe a resident visa as part of employment oppurtunity/agreement. i'm also willing to undergo further training if required or take a licensure exams for massage therapist. i can also handle training (simultaneous) for a group of six or eight persons for thai massage plus some basic etiquettes for a practising massuese/massueres or the basic precautions that a massage therapists should advice his/her customer before rendering massage service to avoid injuries or contra-indications. i am a holder of valid US tourist multiple entry visa (10 years).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

L.L. in Minneapolis, Minnesota

59 months ago

Would anyone know... With a US Shiatsu and Massage Therapy diploma (1320 hours of training) + National Certification, would I be able to work in the Netherlands? I am a citizen of EU country, currently live and study in USA. Most probably I will move back to Europe next year. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

darrkmouzy in Surrey, British Columbia

59 months ago

Hello,

Im still in school here in BC canada to get my RMT diploma its 3000 hours.
I was thinking about working in Europe mainly Italy, Spain, Greece.

What are some steps I can take to look into finding job postings and requirements?
What can i expect as far as salary or compensation? (personal testimonies if anyone if comfortable)

And well anything else you can tell me :)

Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

darrkmouzy in Surrey, British Columbia

59 months ago

Hello,

Im still in school here in BC canada to get my RMT diploma its 3000 hours.
I was thinking about working in Europe mainly Italy, Spain, Greece.

What are some steps I can take to look into finding job postings and requirements?
What can i expect as far as salary or compensation? (personal testimonies if anyone if comfortable)

And well anything else you can tell me :)

Thank you!

Karin in Sunnyvale, California

59 months ago

Ann Aura in Zürich, Switzerland said: Does anyone know what the requirements are for doing massage in Spain? I have US & Swiss citizenship, and 750 hours nationally licensed in the USA. would love to know how this works, also how to get spa work on a cruise ship?

Hi Ann, did you ever find out what you need in order to work in Spain? I also am a CMT with a Swiss and a US passport am would like to work in Spain..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Geena Davies in Qualicum Beach, British Columbia

58 months ago

Cora2 in Brisbane, Australia said: Hello,

I've been doing massage for 3 years now - I'm from Australia... Is there anyone here that can tell me what I need to be able to practice massage Legally in another Country. For example, Canada, USA or the UK...

I just don't want to waste my time with more study, then travel and not be employable for it. I can legally live and work in the UK, so if it's better for my career, I can do more training there...

Some advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Cora

Hi Cora, to work in Canada, each province has specific standards and exams you will need to do. In BC, where I live, you must have gone through a 3000 hour training course, and complete a grueling set of exams. BC has one of the highest standards in the world, so if you don't want to go back to school, you could work doing relaxation massage or deep tissue at a spa, or maybe choose a province with less education required. Good luck.
Sincerely, Geena

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

David in San Diego, California

58 months ago

Many of the states in the U.S. have different requirements. I believe you will have to have studied at an authorized institution to take the test, I'm taking my test next semester so I'm not positive on that part. What are the requirements for Australia, I'm trying to move there after I graduate to find a job as an MT and
Yoga Teacher. Is the test expensive/ really difficult. To bad there is not an international test we could all take, it would make it so much easier.

Victoria Rittenhouse in Essex, Ontario

57 months ago

I would like to work in Hawaii. I am currently a Registered Massage Therapist in Ontario, Canada. Any help would be great. I have found the state of hawaii web page, but i'm unclear of the the hoops/hurdles i'll need since I am not an American Citizen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

sadik in Gainesville, Florida

57 months ago

Claudia Gutierrez in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: I would like to know what the qualifications are to do massage therapy in Turkey

Did you ever find out the answer to your questio? I am wondering the same thing!

sportiveTeri

56 months ago

damien in Paris, France said: do you know how it works in France. Is the profession regulated? how do you become a massage therapist in France? can you work there with a UK degree or an Australian degree?
any intel would be grat
thanks

Hi Damien I have lived in France for four years I massaged in UK and I am finding it hard to find out how I validate my diplomas here - all my fitness qualifications werent recognised even though they were international ones they are really funny about it here - if I find anything out I will let you know.
Teri Central Brittany

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SevennMa in Vancouver, British Columbia

56 months ago

Would I need a work visa to practice massage therapy in US?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

dre in Tucson, Arizona

56 months ago

Coming from Canada, you shouldn't have a problem providing the amount of schooling needed for Hawaii. Hawaii requires 570 hours education (50 hours anatomy, physiology, kinesiology; 100 hours theory and demonstration) or 150 hours plus 420 hours of practical massage therapy training or 6- month apprenticeship. Hawaii has their own licensing exam and you must take it in Hawaii or in one of a few states where they have testing centers. It is a paper test not online. The National Certification Examination is not accepted. A copy of the Laws & Rules may be obtained by sending $1.25 to Cashier, DCCA, PO Box 541, Honolulu, HI 96809. The application fee is $50. The examination fee is $80. The license fee is $60. Renewal fee is $25 every two years. Note: The department must receive completed applications on or before the State Board deadline. Faxes are not accepted. You can find information for Hawaii:

Address:
DCCA-PVL
Att: Massage
P.O. Box 3469
Honolulu, HI 96801
hawaii.gov/dcca/pvl/boards/massage/

Email:
massage@dcca.hawaii.gov

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

HAMZA LAFI in Susah, Tunisia

56 months ago

HI
IM HAMZA FROM TUNISIA AND I HAVE MASSAGE DEPLOMA AND IM LOOKIN FOR JOB IN UTAH IN US COS WILL GOING TO LIVE THERE AND THX

HAMZA

shanice in Kingston, Jamaica

55 months ago

I dont know a thing about nassage but i would want to learn i just want a job i am a graduate with 5 subjects can play netball and other sports aswell.

huilios@*****.*** in Amsterdam, Netherlands

55 months ago

moppie. in Amsterdam, Netherlands said: Hi,
I,m studying massage in the netherlands{amsterdam}.The teacher can only give me a certificate of attendance and not a diploma.I understand that you do not need a licence to practice in holland but I would much prefer to recieve a qualification for my training.My only problem is the language,my dutch isnt up to scratch and I was just wondering if anyone knows where i can study in the netherlands in english and get a qualification for it.
Thanks,
Eileen

Hi Eileen,

I just come across your requist and I am in the same boat, wanting to retreive a licence but find the language barrier a challenge. Have found out any information or when such course are being taught in English?

Regards,

Stefan

Margaret in Maple Ridge, British Columbia

55 months ago

Hi, i'm an RMT in British Columbia, Canada...graduated from 3000 hr. program and working for 5 years. Anyone know about Australia? I might be moving to Melbourne and not sure who to contact and what regulations are. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pitb in Gilbert, Arizona

53 months ago

Rachel in Portland, Oregon said: I am looking into moving to Sweden for a few years and can't find out what I need to do become licensed as a massage therapist there. I am already licensed in Washington & Oregon. Does anyone know of a website for Sweden?

Thanks for your help!

Did you ever find out the information that you needed to move to Sweden? I am also looking to move there and am in the process of learning Swedish. I would just hate to go to massage school here in the USA just to find out that I can't work in Sweden. Any advice? Thank you for your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pitb in Gilbert, Arizona

53 months ago

Did you ever find out the information that you needed to move to Sweden? I am also looking to move there and am in the process of learning Swedish. I would just hate to go to massage school here in the USA just to find out that I can't work in Sweden. Any advice? Thank you for your time.

Viktor in Norrköping, Sweden

53 months ago

Rachel in Portland, Oregon said: I am looking into moving to Sweden for a few years and can't find out what I need to do become licensed as a massage therapist there. I am already licensed in Washington & Oregon. Does anyone know of a website for Sweden?

Thanks for your help!

www.svenskmassage.se/information-till-dig-som-ar-massor.html

You contact them and do the final tests that we that study in sweden do aswell, and with that I think you should become licensed. Atleast you can contact them and ask :)

Viktor in Norrköping, Sweden

53 months ago

pitb in Gilbert, Arizona said: Did you ever find out the information that you needed to move to Sweden? I am also looking to move there and am in the process of learning Swedish. I would just hate to go to massage school here in the USA just to find out that I can't work in Sweden. Any advice? Thank you for your time.

www.svenskmassage.se/

There you go :)

Does anyone know what I need as a swedish massage therapist to be able to work in Australia? Any help would be immensly appreciated! Thanks

Una in Saint John's, Newfoundland

53 months ago

I am a Canadian trained Registered Massage Therapist and I will be moving to England in a few months. What association do I need to contact in the UK in order to get my credentials approved? Also, can a massage therapist from the UK let me know how liability insurance works in the UK--do you go through an association or do you purchase it individually? Thanks.

annie in Hillsboro, Oregon

53 months ago

In the USA each state is different. True, there are national certifications, and some states use their written tests for their state licensure, but it is only a certification. You license is between you and the state(s) you are practicingin. In Oregon it is the Oregon Board of Massage www.oregon.gov/OBMT/, in Washington State (not DC) it is the Washington health department www.doh.wa.gov/, Arizona is the Arizona State Board of Massage Therapy www.massageboard.az.gov/. Some states, such as Vermont will accept other USA states licenses, but most states require an application process. Some states say if you are a traveling instructor you can be there for x (usually 3 months or less) amt of time with out licensing with that state.
Check with the state(s) you are visiting.

I've been doing massage for 3 years now - I'm from Australia... Is there anyone here that can tell me what I need to be able to practice massage Legally in another Country. For example, Canada, USA or the UK...

I just don't want to waste my time with more study, then travel and not be employable for it. I can legally live and work in the UK, so if it's better for my career, I can do more training there...

Thanks,
Cora

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

pavol in London, United Kingdom

52 months ago

moppie. in Amsterdam, Netherlands said: Hi,
I,m studying massage in the netherlands{amsterdam}.The teacher can only give me a certificate of attendance and not a diploma.I understand that you do not need a licence to practice in holland but I would much prefer to recieve a qualification for my training.My only problem is the language,my dutch isnt up to scratch and I was just wondering if anyone knows where i can study in the netherlands in english and get a qualification for it.
Thanks,
Eileen

try UK it's close and you will get diploma when you finished

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Visas in Cranford, New Jersey

52 months ago

Hello all. I was working as a therapist in PA, but let my EMBLEX results expire to tour the UK for a few months. Now, I want to work there. Does anyone know where to get the information about transferring my qualifications to the UK?

Thanks!
Visas

bauz in Portland, Oregon

51 months ago

i have a 1000hrs shiatsu degree in italy but now i live in portland or does anyone know if i'm entitled to take the massage licence test here or i have to go back to school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alsu in Mariefred, Sweden

51 months ago

Hello everyone!

larkin in American Fork, Utah

50 months ago

Belinda in Atlanta, Georgia said: Hej you all! I have been working at the same spa for the last 4 years. Now the owner decided to keep 5% of the tips charged by credit card. Is he allowed to do that?

5 percent is a reasonable fee if it is on a credit card, it only covers the expense of the bank fees. as it stands, you have been loseing the owner 5% for the last 4 years if your tip was on a credit card. It is however a tax deduction for you as long as you get a statement from him. If he doesn't give you a statement, then yell loud to the credit card company and your accountant to get him to follow the laws. Better yet, get a smart phone and a squareup account and take your own credit cards.

larkin in American Fork, Utah

50 months ago

Una in Saint John's, Newfoundland said: I am a Canadian trained Registered Massage Therapist and I will be moving to England in a few months. What association do I need to contact in the UK in order to get my credentials approved? Also, can a massage therapist from the UK let me know how liability insurance works in the UK--do you go through an association or do you purchase it individually? Thanks.

search for me on facebook, John Larkin, one of the therapists in my facebook group is from the UK and just answered that question, Iwill search her out and put you in direct contact. I hear it is pretty easy and inexpensive.

Mira in Norrköping, Sweden

50 months ago

Thanks for your help!

I can rekomend you to have kontakt with www.svenskamassage.se
Good luck

Alsu in Norrköping, Sweden

50 months ago

Hi!
My name is Mira and I am a fully qualified massage teraupeut in Sweden. I plan to move to the Nederland  and work as a massage teraupeut.  

Before i do that  I want to explore what it looks like with a job and if my rating is good enough in Nederland ?

Do I need a license to practice massage therapy in the Nederland?
Nederland's legislation? What massage certificate does the country? What do Swedish massage-therapist possibly complement the in order for their license are in Nederland ?   

Here is my training program what I have done in Sweden :

"Certified Massage Therapists with a Wellness Profile"
i really hope to get some help.

50 months ago

Hello.
Is anybody know about regulating for massage therapist in the Nederland?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

tengeria in Amsterdam, Netherlands said: check out doctorfeelgood.nl / they have some training...I do not know if it is for everyone or just for inside people, but they are all in english.

Hello Tengeria.
Please can you help to get some information. Hi!
My name is Mira and I am a fully qualified massage teraupeut in Sweden. I plan to move to the Nederland  and work as a massage teraupeut.  

Before i do that  I want to explore what it looks like with a job and if my rating is good enough in Nederland ?

Nederland's legislation? What massage certificate does the country? What do Swedish massage-therapist possibly complement the in order for their license are in Nederland ?   

my training program what I have done in Sweden :

"Certified Massage Therapists with a Wellness Profile"

Thanks a lot

50 months ago

huilios@hotmail.com in Amsterdam, Netherlands said: Hi Eileen,

I just come across your requist and I am in the same boat, wanting to retreive a licence but find the language barrier a challenge. Have found out any information or when such course are being taught in English?

Regards,

Stefan

Hello guys.
Maybe you kan help me.
My name is Mira and I am a fully qualified massage teraupeut in Sweden. I plan to move Nederland  and work as a massage teraupeut.  

I will be appreciate for your help.

sandyindallastx in DALLAS, Texas

50 months ago

hello everyone,

i am a LMT in dallas TX with 10 years experience. I am moving to Alicante Spain in June and want to know the easiest way to obtain the ITEC certification. Would I be able to submit my current license and school transcripts and be exempt from taking the test and just be issued the certification?

is the industry strictly monitored there as it is here in Dallas?

also does anyone know what websites therapist use in Spian to advertise their services on? Like a craigslist or backpage??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

shirleyschnabele in Pandora, Ohio

50 months ago

Thanks,
Cora

Hey Cora, I'm an LMT in Ohio(USA).Can't practice outside state of ohio unless I decide to test for Nationals. From what I understand, even w/national license, you have to check w/ea. state for their own rules and regulations.Some states accept nat'l license,others you may have to get individual state license.Hope I was helpful. Take care and don't give up.Yours in Christ, Ohio LMT

HS in Halifax, Nova Scotia

50 months ago

Thanks,
Cora

The qualifcations are different in Canada. In Bc, it is a 3 year, 3000 hour program. Ontario, is a 2 year 2200 hour course, and Nova Scotia follows Ontario standards. The only other province that is regulated in Newfoundland, and I am unsure of their qualifcations. The other provinces are under some variation of these. The programs are similiar to 2 years of a kinesiology degree. But you can check out the Canadian Massage Therapists of Ontario, for an example.

AllegraT in Kailua, Hawaii

50 months ago

Belinda in Atlanta, Georgia said: Hej you all! I have been working at the same spa for the last 4 years. Now the owner decided to keep 5% of the tips charged by credit card. Is he allowed to do that?

Yes, it is legal if you are an employee on a commission basis. If you work for an straight hourly wage, then you will need to check with your State law's for employee's. If you are an independent contractor, then the answer is NO!

Greg in San Antonio, Texas

49 months ago

I would start looking for a new position somewhere else..That is absolutely ridiculous..

49 months ago

www.gatewayworkshops.com/
Get in touch with Sue Bailey for qualifications in the UK; I got a hold of her through linked in..uk.linkedin.com/pub/sue-bailey/0/355/618
Hope this helps..Good luck!

49 months ago

Shirley Schnabele in Pandora, Ohio said: Hey Cora, I'm an LMT in Ohio(USA).Can't practice outside state of ohio unless I decide to test for Nationals. From what I understand, even w/national license, you have to check w/ea. state for their own rules and regulations.Some states accept nat'l license,others you may have to get individual state license.Hope I was helpful. Take care and don't give up.Yours in Christ, Ohio LMT

www.gatewayworkshops.com/
Get in touch with Sue Bailey for qualifications in the UK; I got a hold of her through linked in..uk.linkedin.com/pub/sue-bailey/0/355/618
Hope this helps..Good luck!

lmttiffany in Snoqualmie, Washington

49 months ago

Not every state takes the National Exam. For example, Oregon tests with MBLEX and a practical. Find out what state needs what exam. Virginia is a non-licensed state, no license needed which is topic on it's own

vashdown in Paris, France

48 months ago

Hi, I am an American and a massage therapist.

Very Important- the USA Government will NOT issue Work Visas for Massage Therapists!
Unless you are married to a US citizen, or already have a US passport, you will NOT be able to work in the USA! Massage therapy is not considered a necessary skill.... there are too many unemployed, and underemployed CMT's in the USA.

End of story.

SoniaAleseMassageTherapy in Modesto, California

47 months ago

Thanks,
Cora

I am a certified massage therapist in California, USA. Standards for most states are required 500 hours training, anatomy, physiology, psych, business, ethics, palpation & myology, foundations of touch, those are the basics... then whatever massage courses you have/or want to take. These are requirements for most states except new york requires 1000 hours, and florida you must go to their special massage school if you want to be certified there and start all over! kansas is the only state with no requirements to become a CMT. The national exam is optional.

I am wondering what requirements are needed for Australia... I was looking this up and found your question online.

Julie in Reunion

47 months ago

Hello, I'm student and I'm going to move in Australia in a month. I had the idea to be massage therapist but I would like to know if your life is difficult, if you work hard for nothing and all the informations you can tell me about salary are welcome. I'm not interested about money but to travel, it's necessary.

Petor in Batangas, Philippines

47 months ago

I am a physical therapy graduate and with certification on massages school here in the Philippines and worked for more than 4 years as massages therapist abroad. Prior to that worked as latrine therapist-massages and pt after I graduated in college in 1999.

Just wanna ask if someone can tell me how to work abroad special Canada USA australia new Zealand as a massages therapist.just need a job. Tnx

Aubrey in Portland, Oregon

46 months ago

Hello, I am interested in practicing in Spain in the next 1-2 years and I was wondering if there were any requirements on being a massage therapist there?

AMANDA in Adelaide, Australia

46 months ago

Hello SoniaAleseMassageTherapy, and Julie in Reunion

Not sure what kind of qualifications you have or your situation, but in Australia you have:
Certificate IV in Massage Therapy Practice (code is HLT40302 or HLT40307)
Diploma of Remedial Massage (code is HLT50302 or HLT50307)a website that explains what is a part of the course (training.gov.au/Training/Details/HLT50307)
Advanced Diploma of Myotherapy (code is 21920VIC or 21511VIC)
To study these there are many private colleges and government organisations that provide massage it depends on how long you want to study for and how much many you want to spend.

To get employed in Australia you need to be linked to an association (eg. AAMT, ATMS)with an associations you will also require first aid, insurance and references.

Jobs - it is very hard to obtain a full/part time job on a wage. I have two jobs working under an ABN (Australian Business Number) I get a certain amount of money per type of massage or modality used(hot stone,pregnancy etc) 30min, 45mins, 60mins, 90mins, 2hrs. One job is at a clinic one is mobile - go to peoples homes and businesses. Clinic I get $43 for an hour massage - charge $75. Mobile I get $53 for an hour - charge $95.

When looking for employment straight out of study it is hard to find a job as most require experience - but there are people who are willing to give you a go just takes awhile.

Hope that helped :)

AMANDA in Adelaide, Australia

46 months ago

Hi

I live in Australia and am looking at going over to England for a year on a work visa and am wondering if I can get a job in Massage, have done some research and have found most jobs would like you to have insurance - would I get insurance and a job on a work visa with the knowledge of only staying a year?

I have a Diploma of Remedial Massage - not sure if it is to the standard of NVQ level 3 - what type of test would I be required to do, how much would it cost, and do I have to sit it once Im in the country or can I do it while Im still here in Australia - would like to have the possiblitiy to have a job lined up for when I arrive.

If anyone could help that would be awesome!!!!! :)

Jdat in Penhold, Alberta

46 months ago

vashdown in Paris, France said: Hi, I am an American and a massage therapist.

Very Important- the USA Government will NOT issue Work Visas for Massage Therapists!
Unless you are married to a US citizen, or already have a US passport, you will NOT be able to work in the USA! Massage therapy is not considered a necessary skill.... there are too many unemployed, and underemployed CMT's in the USA.

End of story.

This does NOT apply to Canadian citizens as long as a TN visa is obtained. One perk of NAFTA I suppose.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.