Internationally Massage Qualifications

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (201 to 221 of 221)
Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5   

Jdat in Penhold, Alberta

38 months ago

vashdown in Paris, France said: Hi, I am an American and a massage therapist.

Very Important- the USA Government will NOT issue Work Visas for Massage Therapists!
Unless you are married to a US citizen, or already have a US passport, you will NOT be able to work in the USA! Massage therapy is not considered a necessary skill.... there are too many unemployed, and underemployed CMT's in the USA.

End of story.

This does NOT apply to Canadian citizens as long as a TN visa is obtained. One perk of NAFTA I suppose.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Larkin

38 months ago

I am not sure on the national level, but massage therapists traveling with a team can work in Colorado as long as the stay isn't over two weeks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

yaya in Salt Lake City, Utah

38 months ago

I am a USA licensed massage Therapist and used to manage a team of 90 at a popular ski resort spa. From a hiring perspective we wouldn't even call someone for an interview unless they were already living in the state and had a license for our county. Out of hundreds of out of state (and a few out of country) applicants with impressive resumes sent to me I only ever interviewed 2 people who were dedicated enough to move & get a license required for the job. I have a friend in the Virgin Islands that manages a large spa who tells me the same thing - you must move & work out your license first before anyone will even take you serious enough to interview you. I am now living in South Korea where it is near impossible to get a massage license as a foreigner. It's a sad fact but it can be very difficult to find work out of the area you have a license in - not impossible, just very hard. Massage schools act like you can practice anywhere with ease but its just not true - thats how they make money. If you are serious about working in another country you need to do a great deal of research and contact someone in the country you are interested in about the matter involved with licensing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

papichulo in Windsor, Ontario

37 months ago

Cora2 in Brisbane, Australia said: Hello,

I've been doing massage for 3 years now - I'm from Australia... Is there anyone here that can tell me what I need to be able to practice massage Legally in another Country. For example, Canada, USA or the UK...

I just don't want to waste my time with more study, then travel and not be employable for it. I can legally live and work in the UK, so if it's better for my career, I can do more training there...

Some advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Cora

To work in Ontario you need to be a Registered Massage Therapist this is regulated by the CMTO in Toronto. You may be able to challange the boards if you have at least 2250 hours of education and have worked as an RMT in other places. The cost to belong to the association is just shy of $600 per year and you also have to pay for insurance which is only $150 per year. The board exams are quite expensive you have to do TWO exams one written called MCQ's and one practicle. the written is around $200 and the practicle is about $700. each province in Canada has its own associaton and its own board. The only province you do not have to be registered in or certified currently is Quebec.
BUT.... truthfully you can work under a different title perfectly legally the only thing that you are not able to do is bill insurance companies. If you stay away from calling yourself a massage therapist and use a different title such as massuese or bodyworker or even a Therapeutic massage practioner you will be perfectly legal to work in Canada. As for the states some states do not have associations but you will find most now do. It is easuer to work in the USA as a certified massage therapist than it is in Canada.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ohiolmt in Bowling Green, Ohio

37 months ago

don't quote me, but I was researching possibly getting a natl license, and I may have stumbled upon something which may help you. There may be an International board for massage therapists, something I barely glanced at, but this may help you in researching an abroad license.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

franca63@msn.com in Vienna, Austria

34 months ago

hallo,
i am a massage therapist in austria, i want to live and work in florida
and i have no idea how the low there works.
if you know where and how to start,please let me know.
people say its very strict in the us,
but is there not a way around all this paperwork's???????

kind regards

lost in CA in El Cajon, California

33 months ago

Hi can anyone help me. I have a itec massage diploma from the UK. I was told I could use it here in America but so far everyone I've spoken to have not heard of it or I've been told by one guy its useless. Does anyone have any experience or advise so I can practise massage using my itec here in California?
Thank u

franca63@msn.com in Vienna, Austria

33 months ago

Hi,

why don't you contact a training center for massage,physio therapy ect...
in california, there should know.
I have done that, what i remember you have to go back for training i think 6 month and have an exam, work permit, green card .......
Sorry i don't remember the web side.
Let me know what there have to say.
I am from austria and would love to go there too or to florida.
As i have a massage training from austria and no green card i think its very difficult for me also.

kind regards

Franca

Damien in Popian, France

33 months ago

I am French, so bear with my english
I am looking for a massage therapist training
can someone give me information on ITEC courses
it seems they run this course overae few weeks whereas in the us massage schools offer courses that take several months to complete.
is it (ITEC) serious / real value.
some one can advise me on the best path

thanks

nathan in Manchester, United Kingdom

32 months ago

hopefully someone can shed some light on this ?

im training in the uk at the moment. this is VTCT qualfication. I intent to go to back home to australia within a couple years. From what i gather it seem to practice massage in austalia with overseas qualfications you may need to hold local qualifications ( eg TAFE). This is so to join a professional association. is it still possible to massage with VTVT qualification without having to join such associataion or does the government prevent you from doing so??

klee in Fairport, New York

27 months ago

Hello Massage Therapists!

Does anyone have insight on the regulations / requirements to practice massage in Greece? I have been unable to find a link. Thanks!

klee

curtis.katie@yahoo.com in Salt Lake City, Utah

26 months ago

Ann Aura in Zürich, Switzerland said: Does anyone know what the requirements are for doing massage in Spain? I have US & Swiss citizenship, and 750 hours nationally licensed in the USA. would love to know how this works, also how to get spa work on a cruise ship?

I have a question. I am Katie and I will be graduate in Feb 2014 with my Massage therapist license and I was wondering how you are able to work in Switzerland because that is exactly where I want to work when I am finished. In Zurich, Switzerland. How where you able to work outside of the country? If you could let me know I would appreciate it. Thanks Katie

curtis.katie@yahoo.com in Salt Lake City, Utah

26 months ago

I have a question. I am Katie and I will be graduate in Feb 2014 with my Massage therapist license and I was wondering how you are able to work in Switzerland because that is exactly where I want to work when I am finished. In Zurich, Switzerland. How where you able to work outside of the country? If you could let me know I would appreciate it. Thanks Katie

Becky in Halifax, Nova Scotia

23 months ago

peggyleigh in Halifax, Nova Scotia said: Hello,
Here is the information for the person asking about practising in Canada.

The national standard for the Canadian Massage Therapy Association is a minimum of 2200 hours and the member associations (in seven provinces and one territory) adhere to these standards. The standard in British Columbia is 3000 hours.

Yes, you read that correctly. Our training in Canada is a minimum of two years and you must pass a written and practical exam in each province in order to become licensed and work there.

Having said that, I am finishing my first year and hope to go to Spain or Greece, but unsure if I will be able to find only seasonal work, which I do not want. I want to work all year long. Any suggestions on work for me in the Med?

Thanks

peggyleigh,

Thank you for your post ! I am also from Nova Scotia but I am applying to Utopia (bc) and school on Toronto for next September.
Through research an readings I am beginning to think Canada's tandards for RMTs seems to be the highest in the world (with NZ coming next). I have decided to study in BC as it is one of the three regulated provences and seems to offer the highest education. With a licence from BC or anywhere in Canada do you know how easy it is to work elsewhere in the world ? Is the pay substantially less ? Where you successful in working overseas ?

Any direction or insight would be wonderful!

Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

julie in Glendale, Arizona

14 months ago

I've been doing massage for 3 years now - I'm from Australia... Is there anyone here that can tell me what I need to be able to practice massage Legally in another Country. For example, Canada, USA or the UK...

I just don't want to waste my time with more study, then travel and not be employable for it. I can legally live and work in the UK, so if it's better for my career, I can do more training there...

Thanks,
Cora

Cora what will I need to be a therapist in Australia?

Shinwa in Orlando, Florida

8 months ago

Hello,
I would like to know if anyone could give me information about working as a massage therapist in the UK. I will be studying there and a student visa would allow me to legally work 20hrs a week (if I'm correct). I would need to work while I'm there and I figure I could continue working as a therapist if possible. I have being working as a massage therapist for over 2yrs, currently employed. Thank you.

eden in Auckland, New Zealand

7 months ago

Avvi in Branson, Missouri said: Hi Cora!
I am a licensed massage therapist in the USA who learned massage at a school (Canterbury College of Natural Medicine) in New Zealand. The US has a national certification test that all therapists must pass to then be allowed to obtain a state license in the state they wish to practice massage. To qualify for the national exam you must meet the criteria they have agreed upon for education . If the school you went to is not in their list of qualified schools (mine was not) you must complete an extra process called an education review. I won't lie that it was quite a process to go through to get completely legal , but if you really want to work it, it can be managed. I can't remember the site off the top of my head but if you search US national massage certification it should get you right to the official government page. It should be fairly easy to follow once you get there!!
Hope this is helpful!
Cheers!

Hello,
Looks like I am the reverse. I moved from Texas to Auckland, NZ and needing information on what sort of qualifications you need to practice massage in NZ. I have a license in Texas and Washington State.
Any information you can give me would be wonderful.
Many Thanks,
eden

Catgaf in Porto, Portugal

7 months ago

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me.
I am a certified Massage Therapist in Portugal, where I have studied and achieved the Diploma, and during the past year I have been working as a Massage Therapist for an American company, which is responsible for 5 star Spas in cruise ships all over the world.
I have now been offered a job as a Massage Therapist at the Spa of a hotel chain in Boston and I have been told that I will need a special Massage Therapist License in order to work there.
I would like to know how would I obtain this license and also if my studies here in Portugal have any equivalence for this specific job role there in the United States of America.
Thank you very much for your help!

jorge in São Paulo, Brazil

6 months ago

Thanks,
Cora

Hello everyone, i am from brazil, nd i would like to know, what is necessary to work whit massage therapy in brisbane, do i have to be certificated? im brazil i am working with this since 2007, and i am graduated in chiropractic since last year.
if anyone can help me, i will be tankful!

cheers
Thanks,

Toucher in Medstead, Saskatchewan

1 month ago

Hello Every one, Please help me. I am an Ayurvedic massage therapist with 15 years of experience. Can I practice my profession in Canada legally? If not what I should do to open up business or work ? Do I have to study ? I did some research to became an RMT. It is very expensive for me. I LOVE my profession and it is sad I can not practice it. I know it is a good massage system both for relaxation and treatment. I have long term training from authentic training centres in southern India this including massaging with feet. Can some one help me..please. It is a humble request.

FBes in Perth, Australia

11 days ago

Angela in Austin, Texas said: Hi, my family & I will be moving to NZ in a few months. My husband is a kiwi- so citizenship should be granted. I am just now looking into what I need to do to practice massage in NZ. I have 630 hours of school, licensed & have been practicing four and half years.
Does anyone know who I should contact to get this going?
Thanks for your help in advance!
Angela

Go for gold angela..you dont need to have special quals to work as therapist in nz. By the sounds of it you have enough any way. Have some contacts in the industry if youd like..im now in australua but im a kuwi therapist trained. Good lyck love n light

Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.