Massage Envy experiences...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1501 to 1549 of 1549)
Page:  « First « Previous   28  29  30  31   

Tom Bombadil in Dallas, Texas

20 months ago

DarrenMA in Jacksonville, Arkansas said: ... I see little need in attacking the corporate approach, as there is no one forcing therapist to accept positions at these office. In fact as much as most of us would agree with the gangliest approach of such as system, most business that grow are forced into involuntary becoming a franchise to meet government regulation. This I know for a fact! Not all corporate programs are the same, but the commonly is as always risk vs. reward. Those assuming a higher risk do so for the potential for higher reward...."

No one needs to force a therapist to work at a franchise, especially when there are very few other alternatives and when most of us work in an environment where we are racing to the bottom in terms of price (and ultimately value). As money is increasingly held by higher and tighter hands, you'll see that massage therapy will be marginalized and viewed as a non-therapeutic practice in much the same way as psychotherapy was marginalized by the insurance companies in favor of the pharmaceutical industry.

In regard to the math, it is better to educate consumers on what they are paying for when they buy a franchise membership. Most of my clients, after I explained the details of how franchise massage businesses work, have chosen to see my privately. They gladly pay $1/min because they understand that most franchises are more interested in exploiting their therapists and customers to maximize profits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LMT in Far Rockaway, New York

19 months ago

Randall12 in Phoenix, Arizona said: Hey Jules-can't believe this place would exploit someone that has cancer. You would think someone would sit outside a ME with a shame on you sign. My school or old school supports ME,unfortunatly. They host interview sessions all the time, but when you go down for a practical they treat you like crap. So my new plan is to interview them and put them on the spot. If you think about it, alot of schools have the same issue-its greed. They push students out that really shouldnt be in the health field.
ME makes a hell of alot of money off people-that either dnt care there because its cheap or dnt know about the slum lord wages-I always make it my job to tell folks about ME. Support the self employed massage therapist.

Hi Randall, We are working to change this situation of schools and massage therapy associations supporting these franchises. For more info join us on FB at www.facebook.com/groups/lmtsagainstthefranchise

We have also started a petition you can sign at www.change.org/petitions/the-massage-franchise-increase-payrates-for-massage-therapists-decrease-lowballing-of-massage

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

JaniceHands in las Vegas, Nevada

19 months ago

You guys, stop working for these predatory placesw, they are KILLING THE BUSINESS. MassagePot.com is one of the best websites to work for. It has thousands of clients, they do the selling, the appointment and money is set and collected right there, BEFORE You do the massages, and its great place to build clientel. it's free to start making money right away. Just choose your city and post your service. You make 80 percent commission on every deal. Thats how we are supposed to be paid

DadMike in Maryland

19 months ago

As a consumer who does not have signifcant medical issues, places like ME (I am a member) fit my needs completely. Pricing is good, my current regualar therapist is happy (she is a retired teacher, and went to massage school after retirement as supplemental income), and I am happy with my experience.
I can understand the worries of lowering wages, though 15 an hour plus tips is a good wage for essentially 9 months of education past high school. I know many MTs have more-- but as long as the entry level for an MT is set at such a low level, and so many schools are churning MTs out, wages will be an issue.
Asian-owned massage spots in malls are a big thing here, too. Open store front, no hanky-panky, for about 50 bucks you get an hour of deep tissue accupressure. The one I loved shut down when mall up-scaled, which is how I ended up in ME. So there is plenty of pressure in massage industry, as in all jobs with low levels of entry.
Want to increaes wages, increase entry level standards. Less MTs = higher wages.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kat in Chickasha, Oklahoma

19 months ago

To become a massage therapist is very hard.Schools can be as much as $5,000 for a 2 year course.Tech schools (votect) are only 9 months and $1,000.Then you must take a state test.Now days any job where you touch another person has enough education to feel like a doctor.If we accept low wages then we become a 3rd world country,where we will do any job just to eat.If people can't afford a $60 massage they should save up for it or encourage health Insurance to pay for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

client said: The amount of money you pay to learn your PROFESSION, i.e. massage therapy, could not possibly be as much as a 4-year university degree or what a professional PHYSICAL THERAPIST pays to learn his or her profession.

Tips are unprofessional.

I see that there is a lot of opportunity to educate clients with the type of training it takes to become a massage therapists. Here in New York City it is an associates degree. 1000 hours. The therapist must study all the sciences, including, Anatomy and Physiology, Neurology, Kinesiology, Pathology. That is just the Western side of our study. We also have to study Shiatsu or a form of Asian bodywork along with the principles and studies that go along with that. Let's just say that these are not just a class on how to do a stroke or technique but the theory behind it. Therapists must know all of the origins, attachments, actions of each muscle along with the nerve that is associated with it. Along with this most therapist who work in a spa environment do not receive hourly compensation. That means they only get paid for the hours they have a massage. They also do not receive benefits, they have to pay for their own insurance and registration and they are required to take continuing education courses to maintain their license. I personally spent $18,600 for my education. I would also like you to take into consideration the physical toll that massage therapy takes on our bodies. A physical therapist usually tells the client what exercises to do, a massage therapist is working on the body for the entire hour. Let me just say that I have worked on client's backs who felt like I was trying to break through a brick wall. I think that if you really got a sense of the depth of our profession, you would change your opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

DadMike in Maryland

19 months ago

kat in Chickasha, Oklahoma said: To become a massage therapist is very hard.Schools can be as much as $5,000 for a 2 year course.Tech schools (votect) are only 9 months and $1,000.Then you must take a state test.Now days any job where you touch another person has enough education to feel like a doctor.If we accept low wages then we become a 3rd world country,where we will do any job just to eat.If people can't afford a $60 massage they should save up for it or encourage health Insurance to pay for it.

In Maryland, MT education is often through votech schools. You only need 9 months and pass a test to be a licensed MT. And most states are very similar. Universally uppping it to 2 years would be a good thing for MTs. Keep in mind-- 5grand is a pittance for education, too. Average tuition for a state school now is a bit over 8grand- per year- so a BA will cost you about 26grand. 5grand won't even get you a year in a BA program.
Reallly want to bring massage back to 100 an hour- that was the rate I used to have to pay unitl Asian mall folks and then ME popped up-- require a BA degree to be an MT.

DarrenMA in Jacksonville, Arkansas

19 months ago

If anyone told you when you went to school that you’d make $50K or more a year as a massage therapist, they lied. I’m not saying that there are not a solid few that do, but those are few and far between compared to the masses. The AMTA reports all kinds of interesting facts and stats about massage, including average wages earned average massage price, etc. The truth is the schools are set up to earn a profit from your tuition dollars, and I have heard of a several unscrupulous institutions asserting false claims of income. Secondly if you only a therapist only for the income your probably not in the right profession to begin with, but again anyone’s reasons for their careers choice is just that “a choice”.
I’m not one to believe in unions, but I do agree that there must be a foundational platform in order to create any sort of reform throughout the industry. This is always going to be a challenge with so many different city, county, state laws having influence massage as a whole. So really what can be done? I have found there to be one very successful model of which I have built my own national massage brand from and acknowledge its not for everyone. Laying out what I believe is required starts with the basic definition of “what is a ½ or 1 hour of massage”? Sounds silly I know, but everyone seems to disagree right from the front end. To me ½ = 30 min, 1 hour = 60 min, not this 25 minute or 50 minute crap! Secondly what’s the base rate of these two services? Let’s be careful here: Too many people believe $60+ per hour is the only price point that a massage should be sold for. I’m not saying a therapist is not worth that, but let’s be fair, people by the masses have been voting for years now telling us that they do not want to pay $60 per hour. They will however pay $39-$49 all day long. Is it not wise as a business person to follow the market an figure out how to work the system instead of the system working you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

Why does every major food franchise have a “Dollar Menu”? Because they know what most therapist are not willing to accept. You MUST have a product or services that gets peoples interest and draws them to your office, from there we can build on your products and services increasing your average ticket. It works and I can show you how for FREE!

kat in Chickasha, Oklahoma

19 months ago

American's have the same mentality as people in a 3rd world country.They are told be happy you have a job,even a low wage job.Companys use and abuse their workers.Corporations cut wages and make 1 person do 3 peoples job for lower pay.People are so desperate,they are in survival mode.They have let go of self worth.The middle class are becoming part of the poor class.Massage should be a $50-$60 a hour job and independant workers that work in a office or at home.They perform a medical function and promote wellness.To pay them $15 a hour and make them PUSH products for a living defeats what they are all about.Ban all corporations.None are good. All treat their employees like slave labor.Never give up your self respect.You are worth so much more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

You’re not correct. To say “All” corporations are bad or even insinuate they are all the same is very stereotypical at best. There are many different companies across the nation all doing things in slightly different fashion, but this is what make America great, not a failure. Only those with the strongest model will survive. I’m not and advocate for sweat shop labor, but $15 per hour is not minimum wage, nor is it what they earn in third world countries. I’ve been there and they make pennies per day. A fair and reasonable wage on the other hand I believe is what your speaking of? Where and who was it that decided $60 per hour is what a Therapist is entitled too? Who was this person and where is it written that unless this is what your being paid your less of a therapist or should feel like less of a person for not being in the environment where someone will pay you this per hour massage after massage? The economic climate has dramatically changed over the past 10 years and at light speed over the past 4 years. No level of self-respect is going to change this, nor will it put food on your table. You are correct that a lot of people are in survival mode, but so are 45% of the work force in this county. Your services are in great demand, but just not at the same rate as they once were for the majority. Again there are always going to be isolated cases, but isolated cases are NOT going to feed the industry as a whole nor the hundreds of thousands of therapist nationwide.

19 months ago

Hi Darren, I think you hit the nail on the head with the comment about the schools. As far as consumers wanted to pay so little for a massage, well of course they are going to want to pay less as opposed to more. That certainly doesn't make it right.

Today is an important day for our group as we are launching our letter writing campaign. Perhaps you would like to take part in it. You can find us at www.facebook.com/groups/lmtsagainstthefranchise

We also have started a petition as well www.change.org/petitions/the-massage-franchise-increase-payrates-for-massage-therapists-decrease-lowballing-of-massage

DadMike in Maryland

19 months ago

kat in Chickasha, Oklahoma said: American's have the same mentality as people in a 3rd world country.They are told be happy you have a job,even a low wage job.Companys use and abuse their workers.Corporations cut wages and make 1 person do 3 peoples job for lower pay.People are so desperate,they are in survival mode.They have let go of self worth.The middle class are becoming part of the poor class.Massage should be a $50-$60 a hour job and independant workers that work in a office or at home.They perform a medical function and promote wellness.To pay them $15 a hour and make them PUSH products for a living defeats what they are all about.Ban all corporations.None are good. All treat their employees like slave labor.Never give up your self respect.You are worth so much more.

Well over a decade ago, when I first started receiving regular massage to aid muscles after work outs, I was hard pressed to find anything under 100 an hour. This is East Coast, so things tend to cost more here to begin with..but now the average masssage is around 50-60 or less per hour. I could only afford a massage 3-4 times a year... now I go monthly, sometimes twice a month (my income has gone up, too)- and I can afford to a hefty tip- I give 30 bucks, since I was used to paying 100- paying 89 is still a bargain! It's not corporations you argue against- it's market forces. Folks will buy more of anything if they can afford it. And corps will only pay you for the value of your labor-- get lots of schools churning out new grads in less than a year for a pittance, and your state allows them to be licensed--- labor value goes down as well. Whether you like it or not, with compettion the way it is, a massage is now only worth 50-60 an hour (or less)-- if you charge more, you need to offer something really special that makes the extra cash worth it, or you'll lose buisness. And I never had anything different for 100 than for 50- work quality has been the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

One must take into consideration that not all therapist are created equal (quality of massage), and as vast the talent and knowledge of the therapist so are earnings. Let’s just be honest here shall we? If we look at any profession from Hair Stylist, Nurse, Mechanics to those picking cabbage in a field the more knowledge and experience you have the more your worth and the more you should earn. Not everyone coming out of school or even some who have been out for a while are worth $60+ per hour. If we could agree on a formula for rate of pay it would have to include more than just having the education, and in many cases more than education and years of experience. I personally believe $30 per hour is a fair and normally acceptable wage for most therapist have little or no financial responsibility. Those that bite the bullet should be entitled to more, but at the same time to earn $30 per hour there should also be expectations that need to be met. One have respect for your employer and what it is they are trying to accomplish. Understand the employers need you or they would normally do it themselves, but they can’t be held hostage to staff not willing to contribute. I run a national program that tries to be fair to everyone in our process, client, therapist, business owner, etc. But not everyone is going to be happy, that’s life. I don’t even agree with a lot of what “most” franchisees are about, but I too know that the work “franchise” although it starts with “F” is not what most people think. The Federal Trade Commission makes you become a franchise if you meet certain business requirements. Like: using one common brand name, accepting payments for startup help, earning profit from services rendered. There is a lot more to it than what meets the eye. Reality is for most they would greatly benefit from being part of a larger network of offices, that’s exactly what I do now. Help MT’s share their commonality, without looking their individual identity, and support them

Rob in Santee, California

19 months ago

client said: The amount of money you pay to learn your PROFESSION, i.e. massage therapy, could not possibly be as much as a 4-year university degree or what a professional PHYSICAL THERAPIST pays to learn his or her profession.

Tips are unprofessional.

You know your right. I pay MORE for my education in massage therapy and traditional Oriental Medicine than I did for my Management Degree at a Major State University. Tips are a blessing, a compliment to the service provided. Many therapist, especially in a spa setting only get a portion of what you've paid to receive the massage. If you received a massage in a CLINICAL setting then, tipping the therapist may be considered unprofessional. Clinic settings sometimes have the ability to bill insurance like Physical Therapist and in such case, it is OK to not leave a tip, however in a spa setting, always leave a tip. Massage school is EXPENSIVE and there is way more anatomy, bio pathology,and kinesiology then you would imagine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JJ in Portland, Oregon

18 months ago

Barriers to entry, tariffs, and regulations are a net negative to the market. They ensure parasites AKA licensing bureaus and massage schools get a cut of every massage. They claim they are doing it to protect the customer. But if the customer is harmed, no one from the licensing bureau or massage school is held liable. They never lose their job. They are charging a protection fee but they are not liable. That is a scam.
Because the therapist must pay these bribes to local officials, they have to pass the costs along to the customer in the form of higher prices. Higher prices means less customers. Making customers pay higher prices for fake protection is not my idea of protection.
The mafia now wear suits, have fancy titles, and have teaching certificates but their methods remain the same as they were 80 years ago.

Neen in Barnegat, New Jersey

18 months ago

I would love to know what spa your working for that treats you well. I'm looking for employment after being solo for 13 years and don't want to subject myself to these kinds of places.

[QUOTE who="Anonymous in Freehold, New Jersey". Back to Massage Envy, the pay is terrible and you can make more $ by getting into a reputable spa that cares for its emplyees and client's needs. They are rare but they do exist. I even get health insurance partially paid by my employer. Great coverage too. My advice is to stay away from Massage Envy and Hand and Stone!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

I work for http:MassagePot.com all i had to do was post my service, they add a paypal button to my listing, and they take 20 percent of each deal. Its kinda nice because when people are paypal verified, you ALWAYS know who your meeting, and the appointment is already paid for.

18 months ago

thats massagepot.com sorry the link didnt go through last time

LMT in College Point, New York

18 months ago

Eric in Toronto, Ontario said: I'm curious about people's experience with Massage Envy. I hear a lot of negative comments especially with regards their pay scale. Has any therapist found working at Massage Envy to be a positive experience? Are you able to accept tips at Massage Envy? Are there other perks in working there in terms of professional development or benefits?

Here is the reality of the situation. Until therapists refuse to work for these places and stand up for their worth, they will continue to grow. Because schools take kick backs because Massage Envy literally gives them scholarships, now the schools and massage organizations have become supporters of these mills. It's absolutely disgraceful. Do yourself and your community of therapists a favor and work for an establishment that honors your worth. You can also sign this petition, which tells the story. Perhaps if more therapists, schools and organizations made the ethical choice therapists would not be in these poor paying jobs. www.change.org/petitions/the-massage-franchise-increase-payrates-for-massage-therapists-decrease-lowballing-of-massage

pm in New York, New York

17 months ago

Tips are unprofessional.

You do not tip an LMT when they are working in a medical setting, as they are paid by the hour. It is customary to tip a massage therapist when receiving a massage in a spa or similar setting. The reason for this is the LMT is not paid enough by the Spa, especially spa franchises like massage envy. In some places they only earn $12.00 per massage, and in NYS many LMTs have an associates degree, costing upwards of $28,000 for tuition. Does this answer your complaint sufficiently? A P/T now has to go for a doctorate, and I am sure they are paid a decent salary.

Lisa in Citrus Heights, California

17 months ago

massagepoohbah in Toronto, Ontario said: I'm surprised by the level of negativity as well. It would be interesting to hear from more therapists who work at Massage Envy and get their firsthand take on it.

I have worked at spas and studios AND currently work at a wonderful Massage Envy location. Yes, the pay is a bit lower than at other venues, and you do work a lot. But personally, I am fine with that. It allows me to help others, keeps me in shape and helps me to perfect my craft. The owner is wonderful to work for, she treats her staff like gold and offers awesome benefits. And, at this particular location, the clients are very generous with their tips - sometimes, too much so. With the pay and the tips, I have NO problem making a more than decent living doing something I love. It is one of the best places I have ever worked and we always have massage therapists coming in, hoping to be hired there.

Joella in Manhattan Beach, California

16 months ago

Question: I'm a customer at Massage Envy. I noticed everytime I go in, some of the therapists write down comments in my folder before or after the sessions. Some don't. I was just curious, do the therapists leave notes for each other (This was a good client, great client, bad client, smelly client, great tipper, bad tipper, etc.....) Just curious. Thanks!

TB in Fountain Valley, California

16 months ago

Joella in Manhattan Beach, California said: Question: I'm a customer at Massage Envy. I noticed everytime I go in, some of the therapists write down comments in my folder before or after the sessions. Some don't. I was just curious, do the therapists leave notes for each other (This was a good client, great client, bad client, smelly client, great tipper, bad tipper, etc.....) Just curious. Thanks!

No, they are not writing anything bad about you. When I was a therapist there I usually write down any issues that you have (like knots) or any areas you requested to focus on or avoid on you chart and those therapists are doing the same. If they don't they are writing down those things while you are getting changed in your room. Where you can't see them. I don't mean to sound rude but why do you go to massage envy when they pay their theapist only $15 a massage. Most of my clients when they found out how low I was getting paid asked if I can come to thier house to give them a massage. Where you just not aware of the low pay?

Joella in Indio, California

16 months ago

TB in Fountain Valley, California said: No, they are not writing anything bad about you. When I was a therapist there I usually write down any issues that you have (like knots) or any areas you requested to focus on or avoid on you chart and those therapists are doing the same. If they don't they are writing down those things while you are getting changed in your room. Where you can't see them. I don't mean to sound rude but why do you go to massage envy when they pay their theapist only $15 a massage. Most of my clients when they found out how low I was getting paid asked if I can come to thier house to give them a massage. Where you just not aware of the low pay?

Hi! I had no idea that's how little they make. Wow. Is it appropriate to discreetly ask if a therapist works elsehwere, too, or can come to your home?

16 months ago

Joella in Indio, California said: Hi! I had no idea that's how little they make. Wow. Is it appropriate to discreetly ask if a therapist works elsehwere, too, or can come to your home?

Yes, you can ask them if they work elsewhere or if they can come to you home. If they don't work elsewhere or don't do house calls, I would recommend leaving a high tip. (About $20+ for an hour massage). It really does help offset the low pay. If interested, read the fourms about Massage Envy here. Most Massage Therapists have had negative experiences working for them, like myself. Not only do they pay low, they also don't treat their MTs at all. We are the ones making them money!

LMTAtlanta in Gainesville, Georgia

16 months ago

just so you know, yes you can ask if a therapist works elsewhere,and they tell you they do and how to reach them outside of the clinic and if the owners or Managers find out that therapist can / will lose there job, can be sued for breach of contract, and add to that if you look at your membership contract they have a cause in it were you agreed to NOT SEE a Massage Envy therapist outside of the Massage Envy clinic. And if you do that therapist can lose their job AND they can cancel your membership and you can still be required to pay for the remainder of your contract.

16 months ago

No, not true. Most ME's don't have 'contracts' between therapists and ME Owners. In California, the law says if there is no contract between the Therapist and Massage Envy about not telling clients if they work somewhere else it is not illegal and they can't get fired. It is simply just frawned upon. But if their is a 'contract' then yes the therapist can get fired. The only way the managers/owners would find out if you told the client that you work elsewhere is if the client said something at check out or if someone else overheard the therapist and client. Also, most Massage Envys wouldn't try an sue a therapist or client because most ME's don't want to pay and put in the time for legal fees and such to go though the courts. Most ME Owners are cheap sakes and will do anything to save buck!

16 months ago

If you have worked at a ME you should know better, or most likely they did not tell you. In all the paper work that ME has its therapist fill out there is one that states that a ME therapist will not work on an active or inactive member for (what ever # of years the clinic owner desires), most of the time its 1 to 2 years. So it’s not really a “contract” per say, but it is legally binding, as the therapist signed off on it to be hired. And yes a lot of ME owners have gone after their X-therapist for this, I know of at least 12 clinics that have done this and two clinics that have sued there members for this as well. Things like this might not have happened in California (yet) but it has elsewhere.

Lwelch92 in Pearland, Texas

15 months ago

gaylynns in Houston, Texas said: I am having a similar problem in with ME in Houston and would happily help out with a class action lawsuit. They won't let me cancel unless I give them 1 more payment, then the 10 prepaids I have already paid for -- go away....

I know this is old but did you ever have any resolve to your problem with ME?

15 months ago

just so you know, gaylynns in Houston, Texas, you do not have "prepaids" no more They have stopped using that term. The massage you get each Month with your membership are given to you, you are not paying for them, they are part of your membership and are yours to use for as long as you are a “member”. This is just one way they get you; it is in the contract you signed. People really need to start reading that things so they know how F&@Ked they will be.

Soother in Deep South, Texas

13 months ago

I was a Clinic Administrator at a Massage Envy for 2 years before leaving to attend massage school. I am now a self-employed LMT.

As with all industries, it is not the corporation you work for, but the individual owner that makes the difference. Some owners are better than others. Some treat their staff wonderfully and some only see the dollar signs. Those that see only the money have a very high turn-over rate for therapists.

With the right owner, Massage Envy is a great place to start your career in Massage Therapy. As many have said, it gives you a chance to hone your craft and gain valuable experience.

There are a few things that are universal to Massage Envy's everywhere...
Discount on your Liability Insurance
Deeply discounted CEU classes
Materials, Supplies and Clients are all provided

As a CA, I fully expected that my Massage Therapists would be with me for just a while. They would gain confidence and eventually spread their wings in private practice, though I was sometimes surprised when they stayed for years simply because they enjoyed working there. I adored my employees and was overjoyed to be there to help them grow.

I know that more issues were raised, and I'd be happy to answer any questions that I can. I have seen the best and worst of Massage Envy and I don't work for them anymore so I have nothing to fear in speaking honestly and openly about my experiences.

As a Massage Therapist, if there were a Massage Envy here with a GOOD owner, I would definitely be working there.

Chandler in Chandler, Arizona

12 months ago

client said: Hi. I am glad I found this forum.

I have limited financial resources (otherwise I would go to a deluxe spa which includes many amenities far and above the actual massage), but if I feel any pressure whatsoever to tip in addition to paying a membership fee, then I simply will not join Massage Envy.

I am shocked and disappointed to learn that a membership-based entity would even permit you to accept tips, let alone encourage them

Are you kidding me? Many jobs give low pay as the expectation is that tips are to be given, in par for the service provided. The membership fee is for the discounted price of the massage.

12 months ago

Soother in Deep South, we need to clarify some things:
First the “discount on your liability insurance” is something like $39, not that much of a discount. Add to that ME gives $1000s to the insurance companies each year, so yes they will knock some $$ off.
Next: Deeply discounted CEU classes: 99.9% of them are on line and barely meet the lowest standard in most states. There pregnancy and hot stone training is a joke! They are the bare minimum of the bare minimum of training.
The Materials, Supplies and Clients are all provided: true, but for supplies they use whatever gives them the best price. In the last 7 months the one I worked at has had 18 people have bad reactions to their stuff; one even had to go to the hospital. 3 therapist have reactions and they would not change or give them other things to use.
You may “think” that ME is a “great place to start your career in Massage Therapy. As many have said,” it gives you a chance to hone your craft and gain valuable experience” but it is not. It is a great place to get into a basic routine and lose what skill you might have had right out of school. I was hired to work at the one ME by an ex client of mine that wanted a head therapist to work with her therapist, I walked into hell. They could not do the most basic of assessments, could not do soap notes (outside of the little the ME requires, and NOT ones that would be accepted in court or by insurance), when asked to do a FULL 60, 90 or 120 min massage they had to do things over and over to fill that missing 10 min. and when asked what they would do for a person with XYZ, they did not know. Some of the therapist had been there 6 or 7 years. not a one of the 18 therapist had taken a CEU class that was more than 2 days long to learn a new modality. 3 had left to start their own practice and had to come back for they did not have the skills to work on their own. Yes this is the great place to start and END your massage career!!!

Soother in Deep South, Texas

12 months ago

LMTAtlanta in Gainesville, Georgia, I'm sorry that you had that experience. But as I stated, the owner and management of the individual ME makes all the difference. We encouraged our therapists to seek new training and expand their repertoire...heck, I envied their lives so much that I became a therapist! As we often hired brand new therapists, I regularly checked SOAP notes to assure that my therapists were filling them out completely and accurately and often supplied official SOAP documents to insurance companies.
It isn't that the business model is flawed, but that some business people can ruin a beautiful healing experience. Best wishes to you in all your endeavors. Namaste.

Thanya in Grants Pass, Oregon

9 months ago

In regards to Ann in Corvallis Oregon's post:

I am a previous massage envy employee and looking for a good place to work. New to Oregon. The place you work at sounds great. Where should I apply? If you happen to see this newer post please advise.
Blessings

Kate in Lake In The Hills, Illinois

9 months ago

I like my massage envy. I Work for. Ii have one close by by 15 minutes and another one I drive 30 minutes to because the owner is great!
Oh an I have been a therapist since 1994 and in all kind of starry eyed massage professions in big spas. Economy has changes and I get clients to come every week now on my book. Not possible when massage were 100.00 so if I get paid 20 for each me massage and they come in 4 weeks that's more than a one hundred dollar client once a month. People it averages out! No one goes to spas much for massage anymore if it is is just a treat. Me have crated a mindset that massage is not just a treat for your birthday but part of healthy lifestyle. And he clients that com in know this, and if your good at your game, you rebook them. Working independently, yes I had my own studio, made nothing, because I had lots of External expenses marketing, rent, laundry ect. I hated taking money, answering phones, diverting creeps. So as a veteran in the field me is like a cake walk! Unto in work go home. Simple. I am also a yoga and pilates instructor, personal fitness trainer as well. No one should work massage full Time it's not good for yr body. If are, find other sources of income as well.

9 months ago

Oh yes the one close by they they two locations and huge turn around, nasty owners I've heard. I at one where therapists have been for 5 or more years.

LMT in Whitestone, New York

9 months ago

Kate in Lake In The Hills, Illinois said: I like my massage envy. I Work for. Ii have one close by by 15 minutes and another one I drive 30 minutes to because the owner is great! t's not good for yr body. If are, find other sources of income as well.

It's a real shame when a veteran doesn't get the impact that these franchises have had on our industry and what they represent to the industry as a whole. ME has been around before the recession so what is the reasoning you have for them paying low from the opening gate? Not only do they underpay their therapists they have created a model for other such as Massage Green which charges $29-$39/hr. They have saturated the market to the point where no on can survive. While you may not prefer being an entrepreneur what about those that do? Should they be run out of business because of corporate greed. I honestly have to wonder if this post is even legit or written by someone who doesn't have a dual income

9 months ago

By dual income I mean another person contributing to the bills. As for massage being bad for the body, no, it's bad for the body when you are overworked and underpaid and allow this to happen and when you don't take care of your body, mind and spirit. So let's be realistic. Where is the consideration as well for LMTs that aren't working in the bigger cities and getting paid $8-$15/hr? This is what you support when you work for these franchises. The slave labor of the massage therapist. Congratulations on your accomplishment.

9 months ago

I won't even bother to respond to a post by someone who obviously is pissed that I happen to like where I'm at. Pick a differnt battle.

9 months ago

No I"m not "pissed". I'm making a valid point.

Anonnn in Around, California

6 months ago

I'm a little late to the party, but I found this site and had to get this off my chest. I've been working for ME now and have to say this is my last stop for massaging. My career of 4-5 years ends with this establishment. Someone mentioned that it all depends on the CA and I couldn't agree more.

Mine in particular is never around. I'd say she shows up at the office about 4 times a month. The bonus part is she sometimes brings her FOUR children to sit in the breakroom unattended. Ages 3-16. Screaming, bickering children. It is infuriating.

Next, mandatory email replies. Not a big problem, I don't mind. Replying is simple. The fact that we are threatened to be suspended from schedule until the email is replied is what bothers everyone and adds stress to an already stressful environment.

My schedule is what tops it off. My CA has changed my schedule without any warning the day before or without asking if I'm able to do so. I was asked to cover two extra days in the morning, which I'm not that great at. So I was stuck working 6 days for 3 months, even after nearly begging for an extra day off. When she finally gave the extra day, I was kept on mornings because my "clientele prefers it." Not just me, though. Everyone. Everyone has their schedule moved around at a whim without any notice.

Business owners should not be given so much power unde the guise of "at Will employment." It's petty for people to use since they don't know how to run a business.

Anonnn in Around, California

6 months ago

Cont.

And to discuss the pay of sit time vs. massage time... What a joke. I thought I was going to make some sweet cash getting bonus. That's if you get bonus. Often times bonus is barely over the amount of sit time. So guess what? That means anyone who didn't make bonus did all that work without any extra cash to show for it. It is advertised as an amazing opportunity, but folks fresh out of schooling will be hurting if there's bills to pay. Even the Lead therapist admits that without tips, he'd be hurting.

I don't know about the rest of the states, but I steer anyone I know clear away from ME. It's much better to work for a place where you have to pay for your own insurance and then receive 50% of the massage as pay. They're out there. Don't be fooled by the ME gimmicks.

MassagePro in Agoura Hills, California

21 days ago

Joella in Indio, California said: Hi! I had no idea that's how little they make. Wow. Is it appropriate to discreetly ask if a therapist works elsehwere, too, or can come to your home?

That would be unethical and possibly a breach of a non-solicitation agreement the therapist signed.

littlelucy in dallas, Texas

12 days ago

The pay at massage envy for all positions is discussed at glassdoor .com. The esthetician on the locked thread said she was paid 40 dollars an hour at ME. Glassdoor says otherwise.

LTW in Jersey City, New Jersey

11 days ago

Massage Envy is in the business of money. They capitalized on the oversaturated number of people who want to be massage therapists, and are using them for money.

vaner15 in Montgomery, Alabama

11 days ago

How often do massage envy employees get paid? is it every week, bi weekly?

pm in New York, New York

9 days ago

Tips are unprofessional.

DEAR MISINFORMED....IN NYC, at least one school has a 2 year degree in massage therapy, In NYS you have to have at least 1,000 hours of training in a state approved school in order to sit for state boards. Tuition only for the AOS degree in massage therapy is now $28,000. This does not include the price of expensive medical textbooks etc.

If you don't tip, don't go to a spa, where LMTs work for someone else because word will spread, and NO LMT OR ESTHETICIAN will want to work on you or respect you. It is standard in the industry nationwide to leave a 17-20% gratuity when going to a spa otherwise you will have the reputation of a cheapskate. In my own business I don't expect
. I charge what I feel is fair. If a LMT does more than 20-25 hours of deep tissue massage a week, they are overworking themselves and are setting themselves up for injury down the road. Out of the over 9,000 different clients I have had in the 2 hotel spas I worked for, a handful only wanted the light swedish massage, that does not address any particular issues the client may have.

Page:  « First « Previous   28  29  30  31   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.