Massage for pain in groin area

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Massage Therapist (no more) in Hyattsville, Maryland

84 months ago

First of all Tim you are correct no therapist is going to work on or uncomfortably close to your groin area. And to be honest most massage therapist's are going be wary at first of someone complaining of pain in the groin and wanted it to be treated. There are a lot of people out there with unresovled issues so MTs have to constantly beaware of that. However, when I was a MT I focused on treating people with cronic pain and most cronic comes from trigger points. I would suggest you get the trigger point therapy workbook by clair davies. It will show how to self treat your problem until you can find a therapist who can treat the problem effectively.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MH in Columbus, Ohio

83 months ago

Massage Therapist (no more) in Hyattsville, Maryland said: First of all Tim you are correct no therapist is going to work on or uncomfortably close to your groin area. And to be honest most massage therapist's are going be wary at first of someone complaining of pain in the groin and wanted it to be treated. There are a lot of people out there with unresovled issues so MTs have to constantly beaware of that. However, when I was a MT I focused on treating people with cronic pain and most cronic comes from trigger points. I would suggest you get the trigger point therapy workbook by clair davies. It will show how to self treat your problem until you can find a therapist who can treat the problem effectively.

Hi, I am a licensed massage therapist here in Columbus and have been practicing for 7 years. I have always worked in a chiropractic office and physical therapy for Grant. I have treated, and am currently treating a lady with a strained groin. A professional massage therapist should not have a problem with this. I work in Dublin currenly at a chiropactic office. If you have a legitmate problem, you should be a ble to get treatment for it. Have you ever tried physical therapy? What would help you a lot is massage and ultrasound. If you are interested in getting these treatments, we offer them where I am.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Mr. Reyes in Fort Myers, Florida

83 months ago

I am a Licensed Massage Therapist and male. I to have had the expireance of the mentality of a man touching an other. However, as I was doing some chair massage at the mall one hispanic guy told me that very same remake. From one hispanic guy to another, you say that because you are not in pain. "If you were you do not care who touches you". Needless, to say he accepted the chair massage for ten minutes. After the session he looks at me with amassment. MAN! that was incredeble. I looked at him, gesturing to my temple with index finger, see you do not know nor do you undersatnd. You only go by what you see. My advice seek some who has taken Aaron Mattes Course. Active Isolated Stretching, sports massage. I have been giving that therapy to clients who were in car accidents and they responed well to the treatment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bob Wander in Columbus, Ohio

67 months ago

Check out Active Isolated Stretching (AIS), which follows a simple physiologic protocol:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Identify the target muscle.

- Isolate it.

- Use the opposing muscle to perform an active, rhythmic stretch for 1-1/2 to 2 seconds...

- ...while you gently assist to the point of light irritation.

- Return to the starting position and relax momentarily.

- Repeat up to 10 times.

This movement provides a slight myofascial release plus a continuous supply of blood, oxygen, nutrition, and lymph while stimulating waste removal and reinforcing the neural process. As long as the opposing muscle is active and the subject gently exhales, the nervous system sends a message ("Reciprocal Inhibition") to the target muscle to relax and lengthen. By stretching for only 1-1/2 to 2 seconds and only to the point of light irritation, AIS avoids triggering the protective stretch reflex.

AIS involves the systematic opening up of progressively deeper layers of muscles and tissue. This eventually allows access to the deepest tissue and to parts of muscles that can't be touched from the surface. As the tissue relaxes, chronic postural distortions are released and the posture realigns. AIS Strengthening restore muscle balance across joints to help maintain your improved posture.

Performed properly, Active Isolated Stretching improves local circulation, removes contractions, adhesions, and trigger points painlessly, and allows restoration of the full physiologic range of motion. Result: maximal gain with minimal risk.

I've been doing this technique very successfully in Columbus since returning four years ago. Fo more info, go to StretchingOhio.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rose Masters in Redondo Beach, California

58 months ago

Tim have you tried to find a male therapist to do the work you feel you need, a male may be able to understand your pain better than a female, - Or have you tried asking your M.D. for a referral.... or a prescription for this type of work, - You might seek the assistance of an energy worker, in this they would not need to touch you or lay hands on your body...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bob Wander in Columbus, Ohio

50 months ago

You don't have to directly touch the groin to address the pain. Tim, the one with the pain, says he thinks it's from several spinal fusions and various injuries, which are likely the effects of being tight and inflexible.

First,use Active Isolate Stretching to release the cumulative contractions, adhesions, scar tissue, etc., to open up the joints, to improve circulation (including lymphatic drainage) and nerve conduction, and to restore his range of motion. Second, use Active Isolated Strengthening, which follows the training specificity principle, i.e., identifying and resolving specific strength and functional deficits. It employs full range of motion movements to contract and strengthen targeted muscles while at the same time it lengthens the opposing muscles. The result is increased muscle strength, joint flexibility, coordination, and balance across the joints, and less chance of injury. He will move better and feel better without anyone feeling uncomfortable about working near his groin. This should have been resolved years ago so he can enjoy being alive.

AI Stretching can be done by a massage therapist with the appropriate training. Many massage therapists are also joining me in becoming Certified Personal Trainers so that they can do strength training. For details, visit StretchingOhio.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

not sure about this in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

3 months ago

had groin massage for back pain! Ifelt very uncomfortable and it hurt very badly as the therapist was massaging directly on the groin itself. I am female and asked him to stop. Got a lecture on how this helps and I need to have it done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.