Poll: What would you be if you werent a Massage Therapist?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

thebodyworker in Seattle, Washington

72 months ago

Since this is a massage job forum you might want to look at other career sections. You can do or be anything you want. You can do anything you want in your spare time.

why do you want to know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Yolie in Omaha, Nebraska

72 months ago

Obviously you can be and do whatever you want and clearly this is a Massage Therapy forum which is why I'm asking Massage Therapists this question. Thanks for the input.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Meagan Holub LMT in Seattle, Washington

72 months ago

:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Natalie McIntosh in Middletown, Ohio

72 months ago

A physical therapist.

That didn't hurt a bit. ;-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Meagan Holub LMT in Seattle, Washington

72 months ago

What would you be if you weren't a Massage Therapist Yolie? And what would you do with your time if you weren't doing what you currently do now?

Do what you like to do. That is the best answer I can give you. If it will take time for you to move into a career that you like more, make sure that your free time is full of things that make you happy and full of joy. You don't have to be the best at what you do, you just have to do it and enjoy it. The rest of your life will unfold into something that makes you feel happier, if that's what you want.

Every one of us MTs will hit a point where it's time to move into a new way of being, professionally or otherwise. It's not easy for many of us. But we will all have to do it some way, some how. I wish you a swift and easy passage into your new life. Opportunities are everywhere if only you look.

Make up your mind to change and do it. That's it. There is no other way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Yolie in Omaha, Nebraska

72 months ago

Thanks for the thoughtful reply Meagan. I'm just curious what other therapists do and would do other than massage. It's a simple enough question.

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

LMT in Scottsdale, Arizona

72 months ago

I'd own my on crystal chandelier shop/coffee shop/shabby chic shop. Where you can sit and chat or be on your comp. and enjoy the beauty around you in a cool and unique setting. All thing would be for sale, even the dishes.

Sharon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Yolie in Omaha, Nebraska

72 months ago

Sharon, that's such an original idea! I love it. I would go there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

LMT in Scottsdale, Arizona

72 months ago

Yolie in Omaha, Nebraska said: Sharon, that's such an original idea! I love it. I would go there.

Thanks, it's been rolling around in my head for a while. There's nothing like that in this whole darn city. If there is I haven't found it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Aborigine in Plaza, Panama

72 months ago

PTA I guess

Alex in Västerås, Sweden

72 months ago

Fitness instruktor i guess.

www.massageexpert.se

Minnie in Parker, Colorado

72 months ago

I make funky clocks mobiles and lamps. I am thinking about going fulltime with it. It's easier on my body and a lot of fun.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mikaela in Erfurt, Germany

72 months ago

Yes many massage therapists have other interests in life. Others apparently do not by the sound of it. Thank you for asking Yolid. I was a computer programmer before massage and I am studying to do it again. 4 years is a long time to be out of technology. I make my own lotions and soaps from scratch in my spare time. Right now I am reading about the best ingredients for skin like Ursolic acid found in rosemary which is really proven to fight wrinkles.

yolie in Omaha, Nebraska

72 months ago

sounds very interesting! I love hearing how multi-faceted my colleagues are because it reminds me how massage therapists are really unlike any other personality type. It's comforting somehow.

Nina in Portland, Oregon

72 months ago

It is very interesting and thank you for starting this thread. I might go to chiropractic school. My father was a chiropractor and my great-grandmother was a big part of the early chiro movement. She was an amazing healer who taught me about using native plants for healing. I am obsessed with healing with plants and spend my spare time in my kitchen laboratory. What is your choice, yolie?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

anyone in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

72 months ago

A computer software engineer. I am tired of the physical work and being around people.

KW in Saint Petersburg, Florida

71 months ago

A full time medieval costumer traveling the Renaissance Faire circuit.

WHAT spare time? I wish.

Limey 90 in Maidenhead, United Kingdom

71 months ago

Medieval costumer sounds fun and creative!

I am surprised how many computer programmers get into massage. Count me in The IT Crowd as well. Databases. I still make more money at it than massage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

naturescape in De Queen, Arkansas

67 months ago

When my sons were younger I wanted to go to school for massage in Nebraska. However, I couldn't attend the 1000 hours of classes 8 hours a day for a year and take care of my kids. Instead I took horticulture classes and earned two Applied Assoc. of Science in Landscape Design and Nursery Management. Years later I became a massage therapist as well. I combine my interests as a health oriented lifestyle. I am also a Master Gardener and a student with Clayton College of Natural Health studying for a BA of Science in Holistic Nutrition with a focus on Herbs.

My husband is retired Air Force and we live on 20 acres in a little town called Cove. We are striving to build a family business of growing more food than we need to sell. This March we will purchase a clump each of four varieties of bamboo so eventually we can make garden benches, pergolas, fences, etc. for the landscape and I focus on edible or nutritional landscaping.

The massage work is currently for "In Home" massages for personal friends and family, safe referrals and the Mena Mountain Resort that will be opening up soon.

I am also striving to add www.chews4health.com/wigley Chewable Dietary Supplements along with my goals for a healthy lifestyle.

As a Master Gardener, I am the current editor of our Newsletter, write for the Mena Star and I work with the schools on their outdoor classroom projects and Jr. Master Gardener students. I also enjoy singing and try to "get myself out there" to sing publicly.

Having all these activities going on allows me the opportunity to "get my name out there". Thus, increasing my exposure to all my interests and helping bring in a diverse income. Online I am an Ijango Director trying to build up my Ijango community and bring the financial rewards my community members can earn with their own web portal: naturescape.ijango.com.

My personal website: NATURESCAPE.BIZ

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

gymgirl in Cumming, Georgia

49 months ago

Snow White at DisneyWorld

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tony in Beaverton, Oregon

48 months ago

I'm also a personal trainer. It fits nicely as a complement with massage. In my spare time I make independent films and show them at independent festivals. It will always take more $$ than it brings in but it's an obsession so why quit?

LOL, Snow White at Disney...awesome!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ankur in North Brunswick, New Jersey

45 months ago

Massage Therapy is the only thing I have ever loved doing :) I also am an artist, a furniture renovator, a novice garderner, and crafter/knitter.

Joy in Omaha, Nebraska

45 months ago

I understand. I still love massage therapy very much. Unfortunately it's not something I can do until retirement and the benefits aren't there, either. I wish they were, but now I'm in a PTA program. I am also and artist, guitar student, and have dabbled in furniture refinishing, myself :-) Only, I had to give up guitar because the combo of full time massage and guitar hurt my hands. In fact, as much as I love massage, I love my hands more. And I want them back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Whitney in east Texas

37 months ago

Joy in Omaha, Nebraska said: I understand. I still love massage therapy very much. Unfortunately it's not something I can do until retirement and the benefits aren't there, either. I wish they were, but now I'm in a PTA program. I am also and artist , guitar student, and have dabbled in furniture refinishing, myself :-) Only, I had to give up guitar because the combo of full time massage and guitar hurt my hands. In fact, as much as I love massage, I love my hands more. And I want them back.

I am in the same situation as Joy. I am 24 and have been licensed almost 4 years. I love my massage career, clients, and flexibility. Unfortunately, there is no insurance or retirement possibilities while working for myself and I am trying to find something else I will enjoy. My body has felt the effects of the physical requirements and is letting me know about it!
I have been searching different career choices but have not come up with much that sparks my interest. I have thought of becoming a dental hygenist, orthodontist assistant, financial advisor or assistant, teach Financial Peace University from Dave Ramsey in high schools...
I have never been one for anything like nursing or Physical Therapy. I had someone tell me "you may have to hurt someone in order to make them feel better in the long run" and that moment I realized PT was not for me. I enjoy working with healthy, happy, people not hurt or sick people for the most part.
I have been reading a book called 48 Days To the Work You Love. Some of the questions are things like "what would you do even if you could not get paid to do it?" answer- "massage therapy", lol. It's hard to know which way to go and what other career choices there are.
Good luck to you all and thanks for posting the question!

Joy in Omaha, Nebraska

37 months ago

It's true. As a PTA student I have to work with sick/ hurt people and it is different from massage clients who are healthy. The hurt need your help even more though, and there is more opportunity to do more good, as well. I used to feel as you do that I just didn't want to hurt people, but PT doesn't really hurt people. It can seem that way, but it makes your patients stronger. I pray you find what you are looking for and are always taken care of in abundance. Please pray the same for me. Thank you.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.