Traveling abroad with massage

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 64)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Marita in Roswell, Georgia

68 months ago

I'm interested in working in France this summer and can't find the licensure requirements anywhere online. Also, If anyone has any useful information about practicing Massage in Southern France or Nice, that would be most helpful.
Thanks!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Meagan Holub LMT in Seattle, Washington

64 months ago

It varies form one country to the next, significantly. Some countries you won't need a license, others you'll need a tremendous amount. I always laugh that many MTs in our profession get so worked up about the term "masseuse", when french masseuses have four to eight times as much school under their belts as those in the U.S.

Where I lived in Panama, a license isn't required. It's the same in many South American countries. This can have it's own set of issues that arise though. One is usually better off advertising to the ex-patriots in these countries as many locals don't see the profession of massage as "professional" and you can risk being hit on.

Let me know if anyone finds out about the Spain requirements. I plan on staying there few months soon, it would be fun to massage there too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Wendy LMT in Dayton, Ohio

62 months ago

No response regarding this. Let me know if you find anything out. I have a friend from Ireland traveling here, I will be getting more infoo soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Casey Shea in Seattle, Washington

62 months ago

Many thanks for the input. I'm working in the states again now, traveling abroad with bodywork has been on the back burner, but I sincerely appreciate the commentary. I'm sure there will come a time in the future when I'm looking into this again and everyone's feedback has been helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hannah Courtney in Cork, Ireland

62 months ago

There is no real licensing system here in Ireland. It is totally up to the employer recognising the qualification and once it is insurable.

I was hoping to work state side with massage but am unsure as the state licensing, how would I got about getting it??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hannah Courtney in Cork, Ireland

62 months ago

Majority of ot is luxury, although some private insurance policies are starting to part re-emberse clients I know Bupa is one that does and also Vhi if you want to look at their websites.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

miko6573 in Alexandria, Virginia

61 months ago

I am a massage therapist in Virginia in the United States and am interested in living in Italy and Spain and practicing massage there. Any information on licensing requirements woudl be greatly appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bianca in Durban, South Africa

59 months ago

Rachelita in Omaha, Nebraska said: I was in Spain a few months ago doing massage with my Uncle at his clinic. My Uncle has lived there for 8 years and had no difficulty with his massage licensing...I don't think it is very strict over there.

Hi Rachelita,

I am planning to be in europe for the summer and am looking for somewhere to do massage. Does your uncle need anyone for the summer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Laura Edmondon in Waterloo, Iowa

58 months ago

I am graduating from a College of Massage Therapy Association accredited school. I would also like to travel abroad, and I know of only a few employers who offer this service stateside. I would like to work for them, however, they usually just hire locals for a one time gig. It seems to me that going to work for an individual that travels, such as an athlete or a musician etc is the way to go, I just need to locate one. Any ideas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Traci in Austin, Texas

58 months ago

Wendy LMT in Dayton, Ohio said: I would also like to travel to Ireland and do Massage, anyone know the qualifications and if it is a worthy field in Ireland. Also, can I practice it being a USA citizen

Ireland massage therapist are self regulating and have their own qualifications procedure. www.massageireland.org/

You can not work in Ireland without a work permit unless you are an EU citizen. They discuss this on the Massage Therapist Association link I gave you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

escazu02@gmail.com in Kingston, New York

54 months ago

Rachelita, how are you?
I just stumbled upon your email and am looking to work in Spain at a clinic/spa/wellness center while for a week or two. I am a 15 year L.M.T. with much experience internationally and domestic.
If you don't mind to pass on the information, what clinic is your uncle's and what part of Spain.

Many Blessings,
Wendy

Emer Laois in Dublin, Ireland

53 months ago

Hannah Courtney in Cork, Ireland said: There is no real licensing system here in Ireland. It is totally up to the employer recognising the qualification and once it is insurable.

I was hoping to work state side with massage but am unsure as the state licensing, how would I got about getting it??

Although this industry is not regulated you cannot get a job doing massage, insurance and you cannot get insured without training, you e to hold a certificate in Swedish or holistic massage or beauty therapy where massage therapy is a componant of, The examining bodies and qualification distributers being CIBTAC AND ITEC,.For anyone comming to Ireland and wanted to work in massage there are exceptions and foreign training courses overseas certs are excepted in most cases

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer Katherine Brown in Butte, Montana

53 months ago

I've read you have to either be a citizen or have a work permit before obtaining employment in another country. Is this alwways the case? It was just mentioned above. What about the UK/Ireland (or nothern Ireland). Went to an international massage school which requires alot fewer hours to obtain a certificate/diploma. Any info would be helpful-thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

vanessa in Aixe, France

51 months ago

elements137 in Medford, Oregon said: From what I have heard massage is a 4 year degree over there. They scoff at our measly 500 to 1000 hours of training. Massage is usually done by nurses and chiropractors I think. I have been wanting to travel around Europe, and do massage when I am out of school too. There might be ways around it, and I don't know how strict it is ... but i guess it is worth looking into more?! hope that helps.

it s actually a 3 yr course, but to practice massage as a beautician, you need to have a beautician degree, you will practice massages (called modelages, for beauticians, as they are only leisure massages) and they ll probably ask you to do some facials, nail treatments, and other body treatments as well.
As concerning massages, they usually practice californian massage, bali massage, reflexology, ayurvedic massage etc
I have myself an ITEC certification for swedish massage and reflexology but in France (my home country) it's only a plus with a beautician cert. There is no cert recognised for massage except the kiné ones (medical, 3yr course).

Hope this helped.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

goodhand in calistoga, California

51 months ago

vanessa in Aixe, France said: it s actually a 3 yr course, but to practice massage as a beautician, you need to have a beautician degree, you will practice massages (called modelages, for beauticians, as they are only leisure massages) and they ll probably ask you to do some facials, nail treatments, and other body treatments as well.
As concerning massages, they usually practice californian massage, bali massage, reflexology, ayurvedic massage etc
I have myself an ITEC certification for swedish massage and reflexology but in France (my home country) it's only a plus with a beautician cert. There is no cert recognised for massage except the kiné ones (medical, 3yr course).

Hope this helped.

vanessa.....i've been a practicing massage therapist here in a spa town in northern california for 13 yrs. i have state certification, have also passed a national exam. i am planning on coming to live in france for a few months, perhaps starting this october, and this could lead to moving to france shortly thereafter. i would love to do my massage work over there and not just as 'travail noir'. i have an e.u. passport.

i would appreciate comments and suggestions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

globalstacy in Caldwell, Texas

47 months ago

just got back from being in australia for a year and doing massage therapy over there. heading to spain in may, does anyone know if it's easy to find a massage job there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Victoria in San Jose, California

47 months ago

Hi,

I just came back from living 7 years in Paris, France.... where I was grad student and then worked in marketing for a company.

As far as I know, its not "getting a liscence' to pratice massage in France, Italy, etc... that would be hard, it is:

- Getting a WORK PERMIT to live and work in Europe. If you happen to have an EU passport, then you can move to Europe and THEN deal with the liscencing process. However, as an American with NO WORK PAPERS, there is little to no chance that you will be hired. Europe has a lot of unemployment.

If you want to live in Europe, better to go as an English teacher.

V

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dallas in Orange Park, Florida

46 months ago

I am an LMT for 11 years, thinking of traveling to do some work elsewhere...How can I get started? I have worked in Pain Management for most of my 11 years, however, I worked in a few salons over the years...Help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lauralmt2010@hotmail.com in Waterloo, Iowa

46 months ago

www.massageireland.org/faqs/working-in-ireland.html

All the information for Ireland is here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

ddrecntravel in San Francisco, California

45 months ago

I may relocate to the UAE. Does anyone know what the requirements are for massaging in Abu Dhabi and Dubai? Is there an international Massage License? If so, how does one obtain that license? Also, if anyone has ever massaged in the UAE, I would love to hear about your experience. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Miss Mindy in Aurora, Colorado

45 months ago

For anyone looking to practice massage in the U.S. here is the current listing of requirements for each state:
www.massagetherapy.com/careers/stateboards.php

A great older article about practicing massage in Europe:
www.massagetherapy.com/articles/index.php?article_id=980

I found the following page that explains the requirements for some European locations:
www.massage.ca/regulation_and_licensing_uk.html

Janice in Dublin, Ireland

44 months ago

Hi - Great Site!

I'm moving to Atlanta, GA in a few weeks. I've been a qualified massage therapist/reflexologist for five years and an Esthetician for fifteen years. Do I have to get the state license to work or will some spas hire me based on my european qualifcations and experience? I've looked into schools - wow!! I don't really want to have to pay to go back to school.

Thanks in advance for your help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Richard in Lake Worth, Florida

44 months ago

globalstacy in Caldwell, Texas said: just got back from being in australia for a year and doing massage therapy over there. heading to spain in may, does anyone know if it's easy to find a massage job there?

Quick question.... I'm relocating to Australia by August, where in AU were you, good enough business there? and any insurance or association membership are need it? Thank you for any info.

globalstacy in Pflugerville, Texas

44 months ago

Richard in Lake Worth, Florida said: Quick question.... I'm relocating to Australia by August, where in AU were you, good enough business there? and any insurance or association membership are need it? Thank you for any info.

i was up in the beautiful whitsundays working on lindeman island! the spa i worked in was a contract company called payne industries but the spa itself was a part of club med! no insurance or membership stuff do deal with! if you head that way and look into payne industries make sure they put you there and don't put you in any of their other island spa's! i only say that because club med is pretty much always busy minus feb/march! and it's super fun and a place i wish i could still be! hope it helps! =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Euromoz in Larkhall, United Kingdom

41 months ago

ProTherapist in Jefferson, Georgia said: Looking to leave the USA. Looking either South America OR Europe, I have friends who use to live in London, but I looking seriously getting out of America.

Has anyone got an answer on the licensing requirements for practicing massage therapy in France? Intending to move there next year but I'm still not sure what license is required

sushi in Affringues, France

39 months ago

If you have any questions, or recommend about moving abroad, or working in any country, you can ask everything you want on www.forumtraveling.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

blancapta22@hotmail.com in Fountain Valley, California

39 months ago

I foun my self been bery good over oll hiling people,I love it.

Blanca Clayton

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

katrina in Bristol, United Kingdom

39 months ago

hi guys

im looking for some advice, im thinking of going to vanvouver for a year to have a working holiday, iv just finished uni, i hav BA honours degree in complementary healthcare, what i need to know is to work as a therapist in canada will i need to do further studies or register with any proffesional body before i can massage any clients

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Vic Leuterio in Milan, Italy

38 months ago

Meagan Holub LMT in Seattle, Washington said: It varies form one country to the next, significantly. Some countries you won't need a license, others you'll need a tremendous amount. I always laugh that many MTs in our profession get so worked up about the term "masseuse", when french masseuses have four to eight times as much school under their belts as those in the U.S.

Where I lived in Panama, a license isn't required. It's the same in many South American countries. This can have it's own set of issues that arise though. One is usually better off advertising to the ex-patriots in these countries as many locals don't see the profession of massage as "professional" and you can risk being hit on.

Let me know if anyone finds out about the Spain requirements. I plan on staying there few months soon, it would be fun to massage there too.

I am fron Sydney and I am a qualified massage therapist. Most people can advertised in the website about massage services. majority of clients don't really care about your Licens. If you have a good hands they will come back to you. Some chiropractors will hire you to work in their center to offer massage services to their clients.

However, Australia is really hard to get the qualifications. They will not honor your certificate from the country you come from. They will require you to study in Australia before you get accepted into a professional associations. The study of massage in Australia can be very expensive to international travellers and it usually take from 12 months to 18 months before you get your Australian massage diploma.

Vic Leuterio

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Vic Leuterio in Milan, Italy

38 months ago

Richard in Lake Worth, Florida said: Quick question.... I'm relocating to Australia by August, where in AU were you, good enough business there? and any insurance or association membership are need it? Thank you for any info.

Hi Richard,

my name is Vic and I am a nurse massage therapist. My flatmate is from Slovakia and he works in my flat as a masseur he makes good money. He put his add in the internet and I helped him stablished his practice in Sydney. Australia.

When he move back home to his country I will need another person to continue the practice in my place. Let me know if you are interested. Send me an email to nursemasseur@yahoo.com.au

I can help you out to get into a professional associations if you have some papers to show.

vic

Miki in France

38 months ago

Hi,

I would like to know if it is allowed to work as a spa(massage)therapist in France with English(ITEC) diplomas.

I'm originally Japanese.I'm actually living and working as a massage therapist in France at the moment.
I'd been in England for 6years, studying and working, got ITEC diplomas of Holistic massage,Reflexology,Aromatherapy, also several certificates such as deep tissue, pregnancy massage etc.
I moved to France with my French husband 2yrs ago and tried to find a job here 1year ago. One of the balneotherapy spa which I just popped in and left my CV,picked me up and since then I've been working there as a part time.The spa offers sauna,steam room, jacuzzi,swimming pool, massages,reflexology and facial treatments.

Obviously my French is not fluent but the tasks are the same which I used do in England so not that hard.
All of my colleagues are French and certificated and studied as an esthetician.

So my massages from England seem to be rare(similar to the kinesitherapie,people say)and have good feedbacks from the clients.

But one of my japanese acquaintance told me I'm not allowed to work with foreign diplomas in France, I can only allowed to touch the people's hands, so she is trying to be self-employed to do the Nail treatment with an Japanese diploma.

Since she told me this, I am very uncomfortable to work and can not be confident and proud.

But when I was searching a job 1 year ago, I went to a job centre(Pole emploi) to register. I got an iterview with the staff there and she didn't say anything about my foreign diplomas, she was rather interested in my CV and after a few days, she called me for the private massage at home!

So I am confused like some people above, but I would really like to work in France correctly/legally.

If someone(maybe French people)know about infos,details, please let me know.
It will be really appriciated.

Thank you,

Miki

D333 in Haifa, Israel

38 months ago

Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if you might have some advice for me, im a qualified massage therapist with 7 years experience, from London. Im now in israel considering working as a massage therapist, any ideas.. I have found out that it is legal for me to work here,, as i have both passports, was wondering if i needed insurance, and was told that hotels may be a good place to start.. Any ideas, suggestions would be much appreciated. With thanks,
Dana

Dbonelmt in Gainesville, Florida

38 months ago

Anyone gone to College of CranioSacral Therapy in London? I would love to move from FL to London for a year to study and work?

massagelt in Klaipeda, Lithuania

38 months ago

Hello,i would like to ask if possible to get any job with classical-segmental,thai feet massages.I know deep tissue is required to work in spa,but maybe there are exceptions.IF anyone knows about massages let me know,i prefer do massage for men,though i am men.I know you have to extend mind and massage women as well.Currently i am studying for 1st basic level certificate,then i go for more.

massagelt in Klaipeda, Lithuania

37 months ago

Guys come to Lithuania we need massagists.If you know a bit Lithuanian,thats awesome.We have massage schools here too,not much but we do have.Living is cheap bring 5000 USD and you can build your therapy salon.Prices are cheap here for living,but you have to work hard.
I hope it helps^^

richard in West Palm Beach, Florida

37 months ago

Taylor in Dowagiac, Michigan said: Richard I'm also a certified massage therapist in the USA and the only online resource I'm aware of to certify is massagelicense.org - another option is to look into offerings by the International Massage Institute, this gets you into the field where you can at least qualify for hands-on work.

Best of luck!

Thank you Taylor, Ill check that website up. Are you in Michigan or AU?

Tybaltkilla08 in Moultrie, Georgia

37 months ago

I have a diploma from a nice school and got a good grade on the diploma, but then could not pass the certification exam, i even spent months and bought a study kit that was like 200$ i would get all 100's and 97's on the 3,000 questions they had. I still failed by a few points each time. I would like to work in Ga for donations. Is this possible? to work in my church say it's a mandatory donation then give my church a portion of that for letting me work there?

M. Howard in Aurora, Colorado

37 months ago

Tybaltkilla08 in Moultrie, Georgia said: I have a diploma from a nice school and got a good grade on the diploma, but then could not pass the certification exam, i even spent months and bought a study kit that was like 200$ i would get all 100's and 97's on the 3,000 questions they had. I still failed by a few points each time. I would like to work in Ga for donations. Is this possible? to work in my church say it's a mandatory donation then give my church a portion of that for letting me work there?

www.massagetherapy.com/_content/careers/MTreg.pdf
Above is a link to the listing of all states that require registration or licensing (who also usually require active liability insurance before you can lay hands on anyone). There are only 6 states that don't require any completion of a licensing/registration test, and unfortunately GA is one that requires it.
Your test results should have shown you what areas of the test you need to focus your studies on. Most accredited schools offer free licensing test workshops. I would check with the school you graduated from about any such workshops, or see if they will let you post a flier about meeting up with students about to graduate and hold study groups. Good luck.

Babybelle in London, United Kingdom

36 months ago

Marita in Roswell, Georgia said: I'm interested in working in France this summer and can't find the licensure requirements anywhere online. Also, If anyone has any useful information about practicing Massage in Southern France or Nice, that would be most helpful.
Thanks!!!

Hi have you heard any more regarding this? I think there is an acreditation you have to do and it varies from region to region. If anyone knows please share the knowledge :)

Thanks

masseuse in Sydney, Australia

36 months ago

I ve been in Sydney for a year (i am japanese) and worked as a massage therapist. I am getting diploma of remedial massage in a month in addition to certificate 4 (which is based on Swedish massage technique) I ve already got.
Depends on which massage clinic/shop you wanna work for, but you can get a job pretty easily in some local massage shop without any certification/working visa (i have only a student visa for now) if you have an experience as a massage therapist.
However, once you get a diploma in australia, you can join to a massage association and can get an insurance, which means you can have much more choices of job.

Here are the most common associations in AU.
www.maa.org.au/
aamt.com.au/

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

richard in Boynton Beach, Florida

36 months ago

Thanks for the info man, yeah actually im getting a residence visa and planning on applying for the association membership, good to know that work its not hard to find. and appreciated for the links man.... best of lucks

Hands in Czech Republic

36 months ago

Hi
I travel around massaging and I'm having a hard time finding international liability insurance. Does anyone have any info?

Thanks.

Erin in Toronto, Ontario

34 months ago

katrina in Bristol, United Kingdom said: hi guys

im looking for some advice, im thinking of going to vanvouver for a year to have a working holiday, iv just finished uni, i hav BA honours degree in complementary healthcare, what i need to know is to work as a therapist in canada will i need to do further studies or register with any proffesional body before i can massage any clients

thanks

Massage Therapy is a minimum of 3000 hours of education in most provinces. To be registered in BC you have to have graduated from an accredited program and pass the provincial exams. Most likely more schooling will be required as RMT's are considered health professionals in Canada

Erika in Tel Aviv-yafo, Israel

33 months ago

D333 in Haifa, Israel said: Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if you might have some advice for me, im a qualified massage therapist with 7 years experience, from London. Im now in israel considering working as a massage therapist, any ideas.. I have found out that it is legal for me to work here,, as i have both passports, was wondering if i needed insurance, and was told that hotels may be a good place to start.. Any ideas, suggestions would be much appreciated. With thanks,
Dana

Dana -
In Israel, you don't, legally, need any qualifications to do massage. In Haifa I think most therapists work in Carmel Forest Spa Resort. The pay is horrible but people like the guaranteed monthly paycheck plus some benefits. Otherwise you can put up your own advertisements and work out of your home for at least four times as much as working in a spa. Legally you do need insurance (and they want to see your certificates) and if you work for yourself you need to give receipts though many people work without either of these.

Victoria in Paris, France

31 months ago

To be honest, as someone who has lived in Paris, France for over 7 years... FORGET about WORKING FOR SOMEONE ELSE here in France. Its going to be a nightmare to get hired, etc.....

Just set up a website and see clients from your flat!

In Paris, apartments are SO expensive that you may not be able to have anything bigger than a STUDIO to live and work out of. Roomates will be hard to find that allow you to work from their place.

Massages at private home can be 60-70 euros I beleive.

If you advertised on all the foreign and local Massage sites, you might be able to make enough money to pay for 800-900 euros studio apartment, and food, etc... Maybe not.

Also, be aware that the French really do consider Sex and Sexual Massage go hand in hand. So be careful of that. Have to tell them in advance- esp. the men that its not sexual. That is, unless you want to make more money....lol.

alshifa spa in Sharjah, United Arab Emirates

28 months ago

Marita in Roswell, Georgia said: I'm interested in working in France this summer and can't find the licensure requirements anywhere online. Also, If anyone has any useful information about practicing Massage in Southern France or Nice, that would be most helpful.
Thanks!!!

Dear We are looking 3 female spa therapist for our Alshifa spa Dubai.
interest candidate can send their resume to

alshifaspa@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

alshifa spa in Sharjah, United Arab Emirates

28 months ago

Thanks!!!

Dear We are looking 3 female spa therapist for our Alshifa spa Dubai.
interest candidate can send their resume to

alshifaspa@gmail.com

alshifaspa@gmail.com in Sharjah, United Arab Emirates

28 months ago

globalstacy in Caldwell, Texas said: just got back from being in australia for a year and doing massage therapy over there. heading to spain in may, does anyone know if it's easy to find a massage job there?

we are looking a female massage therapist for our Alshifa spa Dubai .

alshifaspa@gmail.com in Sharjah, United Arab Emirates

28 months ago

We are looking 3 female spa therapist for our Alshifa spa Dubai.
interest candidate can send their resume to alshifaspa@gmail.com

Coral Beach Hotel & Resort, Paphos, Cyprus
www.coral.com.cy/

www.coralbeach-tz.com/

Lauren1176 in New York, New York

28 months ago

How did you practice in Australia? Are their requirements really strict? I know they require more schooling then the States.
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.