Want to Become a Massage Therapist

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 180)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

MT in P-Town in Portland, Oregon

68 months ago

Sweetzy317, if you're exhausted after just going to school, then you might not be up for the exhaustion that will inevitably come as a massage therapist! Here are some statistics:

50% of massage school enrollees either drop out or do not get their license. The primary reason is disillusionment with the field. Most just feel a career in massage was the wrong choice.

80% of all licensed massage therapists quit after 5-7 years. The primary reason is physical pain and burnout.

I have been massaging for 5 years and have been burned out for a year. My entire body aches so much that I can't sleep. I'm so sick of walking around the same table...in the same room...doing the same massage...on the same people...day after day...faxing the same lawyers the same paperwork...fighting and scrapping with insurance companies over every little dime.

I do 18-20 massages a week. Please remember that for every hour you're paid to massage, you do another hour of work for no pay. I expect to gross $46,000, and my expenses are around $8,000.

OK, I'm exaggerating how horrible a massage career is, but not by much. If I had to do it over again, I WOULDN'T!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Gardener in Washington

68 months ago

Helms357 in Indianapolis, Indiana said: I am wanting to become a massage therapist. It is something I have wanted to do for a long time but I am scared I will not make enough income to live on. Can you help me out? I can not trust schools that are trying to get me to sign up or the labor statistic because they always seem to be wrong. Please give me some input. Thanks so much.

You have to decide if benefits are important to you because very few therapist actually get benefits with their jobs. You have to decide if you are willing to address boundry issues with clients. Clients want to know everything about you (married? single? what part of town you live in? live alone? family nearby? etc.) and as therapists we often feel we owe them our personal histories (we don't) and this could lead to dealing with ill entended people. You have decide if you are willing to work a physical job for a while because you will look for something different in about 5 to 10 years. Or do you want to just figure out what your real job will be and bypass massage...the statistics show most therapist don't stay in massage for more than a few/several years.
Until we are treated as healthcare workers (with all the benefits and working with a health care team where it is always professional) massage therapists don't have the incentive to make it a life long journey.
Also, the better you get at massage the harder it is to find a good massage!!
It's a hard living if you make it your only job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Julie in Redmond, Washington

68 months ago

Any career you choose will bring up the same fears of being able to make enough money. Nothing is secure any more.

The thing about being a massage therapist is that it will challenge you to take care of yourself first so that you don't burn out. You can make $100,000 a year if you can do that. Taking care of yourself involves setting fees for your services that will allow you to be successful along with setting policies and procedures that will also support you.

www.massage-career-guides.com/massage-business.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Gardener in Washington

68 months ago

Julie in Redmond, Washington said: Any career you choose will bring up the same fears of being able to make enough money. Nothing is secure any more.

The thing about being a massage therapist is that it will challenge you to take care of yourself first so that you don't burn out. You can make $100,000 a year if you can do that. Taking care of yourself involves setting fees for your services that will allow you to be successful along with setting policies and procedures that will also support you.

Kinda like how most Joe's....ehem, plumbers make $250,000?
I know a LOT of therapists, none of whom make $100,000. It is very misleading
to advise someone like that. If it is possible, it certainly is not the norm.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

It isn't common but it is because massage therapists are taught that it isn't possible. It is possible when you learn that it is about being in business and in order to be successful you need to work ON the business. It is about charging what you need to make to get that amount and enforcing cancellation policies and working only with your ideal client who values you and appreciates you enough that they send all their friends and family members. It is about creating boundaries that support you in achieving that goal.

It will be the norm when massage therapists start changing their beliefs and that is what I teach on my websites and blog.

www.thebodyworker.com
www.massage-career-guides.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Saffy in Portland, Oregon

68 months ago

Julie in Redmond, Washington said: It isn't common but it is because massage therapists are taught that it isn't possible. It is possible when you learn that it is about being in business and in order to be successful you need to work ON the business. It is about charging what you need to make to get that amount and enforcing cancellation policies and working only with your ideal client who values you and appreciates you enough that they send all their friends and family members. It is about creating boundaries that support you in achieving that goal.

It will be the norm when massage therapists start changing their beliefs and that is what I teach on my websites and blog.

www.thebodyworker.com

Ummm, Gardener is right. You have described my business perfectly. I make around half your advertised $100,000. There is no possibility of making more, and I have business degree and brought millions of sales in my previous career with several Fortune 500 companies.

Our bodies have limits!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Why don't you have some of your "success stories" post here, Julie? I would like to hear from them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

OK, so it IS technically possible for me to make $100,000 a year. I could dump my entire existing clientele, move to a more upscale area of town, add a few massages a week and double my price. Or I could add a renter on a mentoring basis and charge higher rent, which I have done before.

I am not interested in only serving the extremely wealthy with $120 an hour services. As a facilitator of healing, I strive to keep my prices reasonable and in line with the above-average bodyworkers in my geographical area.

Helms357, you can make good money as a massage therapist, but it is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT. It's just like building any other business from scratch, from accounting, to sales & marketing to the mundane cleaning duties. I make around $50K a year, but I don't think that would have happened without my extensive business experience!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Leann1 in Jacksonville, Florida

68 months ago

$100,000? Really? Is that how much you make Julie?

Unrealistic for 99.9% of everyone who gets into the massage business. Most people who go thru a year of technical school don't have what it takes to do that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

No people who go to 1 year tech school usually don't have it. I recommend that people go and get a business degree and then hire all the starving massage therapists! (joke - but not far from the truth.)
Yes and I am going for double that in 3 years.

The more you make, the more you can help people. People with money need healing too. You can help more people who don't have money when you yourself have money.

Forget the it isn't about the money. Most people who say that don't have any. If you don't have enough to care for yourself and family, retire comfortably than what is it all for? Who will take care of you?

Julie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Leann1 in Portland, Oregon

68 months ago

Those are very nice platitudes, and I completely agree about helping people. I never said people with money didn't need healing. I said I want to keep the healing affordable for everyone.

Evasive, flowery language does little to help prospective and current students deal with reality.

And the reality is that massage is a very difficult business. Most people do not make a lot of money at it. A few do, but unless you are a very good BUSINESS PERSON, don't count on it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Leann1 in Portland, Oregon

68 months ago

My apologies to Julie. She is encouraging prospective therapists to think "outside the box" and go for it! I was too harsh in my previous post.

If you haven't visited her web pages, you need to! Her perspective is both positive and realistic. I haven't heard the negatives presented so thoroughly as on her sites:

www.thebodyworker.com

But please realize that to make $100,000 a year as a massage therapist your price must be set so high that it excludes most normal income people and insurance clients. That may be what you want!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Gardener in Washington

68 months ago

Sabeena in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: I agree with the majority opinion on this thread. It is possible for anyone to make a decent living, but it demands skills that most LMTs don't possess and aren't taught in massage school. Julie seems very sincere, but policies won't make you 100K richer. I'm skeptical of anyone claiming to make over twice the national average salary especially if they're selling something. See www.bls.gov/oco/ocos295.htm#earnings for salary data.

It's safest to consider massage a secondary income until you build your practice. Many of us take that approach and are successful.

Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

massage in Blue Springs, Missouri

68 months ago

Julie in Redmond, Washington said: Any career you choose will bring up the same fears of being able to make enough money. Nothing is secure any more.

Where is 100,000 a year at?
most therapist make 36,000 to 43,000. a year depending on where they live
so turn us all on to the 100,000. a year I could live with that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sabeena in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

68 months ago

massage in Blue Springs, Missouri said: Where is 100,000 a year at?
most therapist make 36,000 to 43,000. a year depending on where they live
so turn us all on to the 100,000. a year I could live with that.

Julie is trying to sell books on her web site by telling people they can make 100,000 in massage if they follow her methods. While it is possible, it is not probable.

In other words, there really is no 100,000 a year. Don't be fooled.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Don't be fooled into thinking that you can't make what you want to make or make $100,000 a year. I don't care about selling books. I have over 1000 pages of free content for people to learn to make the leap, build self confidence and start charging what you are worth and yes make $100,000 if you dare. Do the math. All you need to do is charge $100 a session and do 25 sessions a week. It is very doable if you think you are worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gardener in Washington

68 months ago

"All you need to dod is charge $100 a session and do 25 sessions a week"

Well, from one of many, many people who went into massage school hoping to make $80,000 a year, I can tell you that we have all 'done the math'.

That is why you keep hitting a general air of frustration from people on this forum....we are telling you it is not that easy. Even with hard work and constant marketing it is a lot harder than is sounds to 'just do the math'.

Of course, since you believe that your thoughts control everything that happens to you, then you must have expected such static.

I'd like to ask you about your beliefs about the unconcious controlling one's fate...How do you know Julie?

How do you know what happens? An honest question...how do you know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

You don't know what happens.

I do know what I feel. Your feelings are the key to the unconscious world.

I do know that everyday I become more conscious of my unconscious thoughts and how they are driving my life.

Like my practice was slow in Jan. I didn't care because I was working on other things. I also did feel kinda bad when I didn't have clients. I realized I was feeling bad and taking it personally. I changed my thinking and how I felt and now I am booked for 2 weeks. The phone started ringing off the hook. I didn't do any marketing or anything except I started to write a new article for my website.

It doesn't control what things happen to you but rather how you respond to them.

I didn't say it was easy, but it can be done and if you believe you can do it and what are you willing to do to make it happen.
How deep is your belief that you can be successful?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

MT n WA in Olympia, Washington

68 months ago

Gardener in Washington said: "All you need to dod is charge $100 a session and do 25 sessions a week"

Well, from one of many, many people who went into massage school hoping to make $80,000 a year, I can tell you that we have all 'done the math'.

That is why you keep hitting a general air of frustration from people on this forum....we are telling you it is not that easy. Even with hard work and constant marketing it is a lot harder than is sounds to 'just do the math'.

This is stated so well that I just wanted it to appear again in this thread for emphasis.

I have plenty of wealthy clients who send their wealthy friends for the very reason that I'm the best massage therapist they've ever been to. I only charge $60 a session and take insurance. They didn't get wealthy throwing their money away on unnecessarily expensive services when the same or better exists for less than $100.

That's the real math. And I believe I have enough business to keep two people busy. No, wait...I KNOW it's true. Belief is not required.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Julie in Redmond, Washington said: You don't know what happens.
I do know what I feel. Your feelings are the key to the unconscious world.
How deep is your belief that you can be successful?

Feelings are worthless. Actions are everything. Sometimes stuff happens regardless of how you feeelll about it.

When I moved to OKC, I KNEW I couldn't run a successful massage business because the area was glutted with with established clinics on every corner. I decided to massage & market anyway until an IT job came my way. I worked at it very half-heartedly because my ultimate goal was corporate IT employment.

In less than a year my business was so successful that I had to bring in another therapist. I was up to 60% of my corporate salary, which remains more than enough. I had ZERO belief that I could be successful. Yet I am. What? How could that possibly happen?

My beliefs didn't help or hurt me, the same way nobody booked appointments because of yours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Most of your beliefs are unconscious. Your feelings will tell you what your beliefs are if you pay attention to them. You had a belief that you could make money in some way so you stayed with your desires regardless of what appeared to be going on in your neighborhood. You did have an unconscious belief that you could be successful - so you were.

Everyone who is reacting to the idea that you can make $100,000 a year or more -it is showing you what your beliefs are about success, making money and how you value yourself. You can track your reactions to things to find out your beliefs. Your beliefs help or hurt you all the time. It is uncovering your beliefs that is the hard part because they are unconscious.

It is just really basic psychology. Read some things like the books from James Hollis, Henry Cloud, The Biology of Beliefs by Bruce Lipton, Molecules of Emotion by Candace Pert, The Divine Matrix by Gregg Brandon, Evolve your brain by Joe Dispenzia, Power vs Force by Hawkins, anything by Wayne Dyer, Depak Chopra to help you understand all of this and it will help you in dealing with clients on the table as well as making money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

I'm going to conduct an experiment, giving it 250% effort.

I've "done the math". $100 per massage it is. I believe I'm worth it, that's for sure. My professionalism, training and experience exceed all of my peers.

I'm doing the marketing on my web site and other places. Done it before.

I've changed my thinking. I can only gain by migrating away an health insurance-based business where my compensation is limited by "usual and customary fees". New clients are auto insurance or cash only. (Auto insurance reimburses much more vs. health insurance which limits the reimbursement based on a fee schedule, for those unfamiliar with the industry.)

I'm uncovering my sub-conscious beliefs. As a NGH certified hypnosis practitioner, I have plenty of resources in that department.

I'll unpack the Dyer & Chopra books that were too nauseating for me to finish when I was trapped in my old childhood patterns of thinking. Time to realize my fullest potential!

I'll keep you posted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Yikes! I have a dilemma the very first day! An orthopedist refers elderly ladies to me who are on Social Security and can't afford $100 treatments. They have Medicare, which does not cover massage. I used to offer them affordable rates, but now I know I'm worth more than that.

Should I accept less just to help those low-income, elderly widows work towards their potential for improved health? Or should I turn them away and change my thinking...low income people believe they can heal themselves, without treatment...while the rich believe they need to come see me...

Help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

It's been a week of changing my thoughts & marketing strategy to attract the big bucks. If you've missed the thread, Julie in Redmond teaches that you MTs can make $100K a year by believing you can. All you have to do is 25 massages a week at $100 each. Easy peasy.

Unfortunately, I did not have even a single new inquiry into my services. This is the first week in years not a single new client called or contacted me through my web site or referral. I don't need new clients, but I certainly would accept them for $100 an hour.

I won't be fooled into believing that clients won't pay $100 for a massage when the same service exists for half that price. I'll just believe harder, because I am worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Actually the problem is that you are using effort. It doesn't take any at all. What it does require that you change your beliefs at a core level. This takes time and learning about yourself. If you made $100 an hour from people who could afford it you could open up a center for geriatric massage and provide massage at little to no cost but it costs money to do that.

Believing harder is doing just the opposite because you are focusing on what you do not want. Focus on what you do want. Clear up the feelings that you get when you say "I charge $100 for a massage and have a steady flow of new clients paying me that". Those feelings are what will lead you to the true beliefs you have about yourself. These are the unconscious beliefs that we all have that are what create the feelings of not being able to do something.

In asking clients to pay $100 an hour you also have to provide more value to clients. What will make your massage stand out from everyone elses?

You also have to take action on your beliefs to get what you do want. If you want clients who pay $100 a session you have to take action to find them and get them to come in for a massage.

This isn't magic. It is just basic psychology. Wishing won't make it happen. Actions that come out of true beliefs will.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Leigh21 in Spokane, Washington

68 months ago

I am a student going through a massage therapy program right now. Most of you guys are saying that a massage therapist only lasts for 5-7 years. Well we are taking some courses in body mechanics to help prevent burn-out. I don't know if you have studied this or not, but it is possible for a massage therapist to last longer. My teacher has been in the field for 13 years and she has no signs of burn-out, and has a very strong client base. So, for those of you who are unsure about it, if you really have a passion for it, you can succeed. Study up on body mechanics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

I have been a massage therapist for 20 years. I did go through a burnout phase at about 10 years but regrouped and am still going strong. It is more about taking care of yourself not others. Burnout doesn't mean you have to quit but just change something. That is when I started charging more for my massage services so I didn't feel so resentful and could also do more than just get by.

Taking care of yourself financially as well as physically is how you survive and even excel. Bodymechanics is also only a small part of it. It is also the meaning you give doing the work and the feelings you put into or take out of the work. You can have all the right bodymechanics and still end up hurt if you are working to hard on people or giving too much and not getting paid to do so.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Julie in Redmond, Washington said: Actually the problem is that you are using effort.

Yeah, I'm used to being blamed when things don't work out the way others promise. It's just like talking to my fundamentalist christian friends who say I didn't pray hard enough, or prayed too hard, or didn't study enough, or studied too much...either way it's my fault I don't share their experiences with god.

Actually, I'm being sarcastic when I say I'll believe harder. I don't think that would work, either. As far as effort goes, I have changed the price on my marketing materials and done creative visualization of myself already making $100K a year.

I know why I'm worth $100, and it's already in my marketing materials. My room is peaceful, calm, and uncluttered. The client chooses her own music. I include hot stones, aromatherapy, paraffin, and peppermint foot scrubs, whatever the client chooses. I have a heated, hydraulic table with a pricey gel face cradle so the sinuses stay clear face down.

I have a bachelor of business and 15 years corporate experience, including mid-level management. So I'm very reliable and professional. I have an associates in medical massage with certifications in Myoskeletal, Myokinesthetic, prenancy and others...

Ugh, I'm boring myself with why I KNOW without a doubt I'm worth $100, so I'll stop now.

Like I said, we'll see.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

It isn't about blaming anyone or yourself either. It isn't about blame. It is just about taking responsibility for your actions. I can't actually tell if you are being serious or being sarcastic from your words here...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Julie in Redmond, Washington said: It isn't about blaming anyone or yourself either. It isn't about blame. It is just about taking responsibility for your actions. I can't actually tell if you are being serious or being sarcastic from your words here...

No, I'm not being sarcastic anywhere else. It's just funny that I've been told the exact same thing from other MTs (making 100K), and I've actually taken their beliefs seriously before.

But then I found out they're all "slightly misrepresenting" how much they're actually earning. They're so blinded by their pop psychology or 'A Course in Miracles' that they can't see the the truth. And the truth is we're all making about the same, no matter what our beliefs are.

And the truth is, sure, I'd LOVE to rake in $100 per massage, but people won't pay for it IN THIS MARKET, despite the fact I'm worth it. Perhaps it's possible in a large population like yours, but down here in little Olympia. And not in most other towns, either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Leann in Portland, Oregon

68 months ago

How do you plan to double your income in 3 years Julie?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Right now I am expanding my websites on massage. I am working on building income from affiliate programs related to massage and health and healing and changing your beliefs as well as teaching massage therapists how to create websites and also to build their practice. I am leading peer supervision groups in the Seattle area for massage therapists.

I am also taking classes to start working more with the psychology of the body. I will be moving to working more with psychologists and people with attachment disorders and trauma survivors.

Last year my income was a little less than double my income in 2007.

Expand and create multiple streams of income. It isn't all coming from just doing hands on massage, but I make more each year doing massage but doing less sessions.

To make more you need to provide more value and reach more people without having to do all of the hands on work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Sigh...two advertising and visualizing new clients at $100 an hour...

Two weeks with no new clients...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Leann in Portland, Oregon

68 months ago

I have another question for Julie. You claim to make 100K year. That requires you to do 25 massages a week, every week, for $100 each. Am I right so far?

You've admitted to being slow earlier this month. I'm assuming you didn't get your required 25 massages. Is that correct?

Which means you're already behind for the year on your advertised 100K.

Personally I don't know anyone who can physically give 25 massages every week without being injured or going insane. If you want us to believe you make 100K, we have to suspend all reason and believe you can do even more to make up for your slow time. Plus take no vacations.

If my logic is wrong, please correct.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

I make half of my income from websites and writing about massage. I also make money though affiliate programs related to health. I let my websites work for me. I did those 25 massages a week for a long time. Actually I just doubled my income for the year already by selling one of my websites so I can take the next two years off if I want. I actually only do 12 massages a week after 20 years of doing more. I can reach more people through my writing and teaching people how to do what I have already done.

You can do 25 massages a week if you want. You just have to exercise, stay in shape and get a few massages a week for yourself too and pay for them. You can also hire employees and have other streams of income related to massage - teach classes, make websites, whatever. If you don't think you can make that much then you won't of course.

Visualizing only gets you so far. You have to also take actions so just sitting around waiting for clients won't help. What did you do to get new clients this week?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

I have marketed myself quite a bit over the past 2 weeks at the higher price, but I have such a large business at the lower price that it probably wouldn't succeed any time soon.

I've moving to Bainbridge Island at the end of the summer to start a bed & breakfast. Massage will be a part of the business. I'll begin marketing myself at the higher price there, where I don't have such a reputation for being the low cost provider.

I'll give it my best effort. Why the heck not? You've shown me a really good option to try, something I wouldn't have thought about on my own. You're right - we don't think about charging that much for a massage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sweetzy317 in Buffalo, New York

65 months ago

Hello! So you are a MT? Your honest opinion....how do you like it? Do you wish you went for something else? What are the pros and cons in your opinion? I am just curious, as I wanted to be an MT before, but the low income scared me away and I turned to Chiropractic. Now chiropractic is scaring me because I wont graduate until I'm 30 and it's scary to wait that long to see if my choice will succeed or if I will like it. Plus, the liability is scary, so much more serious than MT. Do you wish that you went for something more like a Dr.? I ask this because a friend of mine wishes that she took that extra step and became a Dr. because she feels like its more worth it. To me, chiro is the same in that its a business that you need to build but it has much more serious matters and waaay more schooling. I just want to love my job as much as you can love a job and not have to worry financially. Is MT really worht it, if you are passionate about it? I love all thereaputic, natural things.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mia in Portland, Oregon

65 months ago

Good lord, you people who spew "YOU, TOO CAN MAKE $100K A YEAR WORKING 20 HOURS A WEEK" are deranged, masochists, or both. What will it take for you to realize that we don't want to buy your snake oil? MOST OF US didn't choose to become LMTs to go around like automotons chanting "MONEY! MONEY! MONEY!" and charging prices too high for the average person to afford!

You and Julie DO NOT come across as people "trying to do something great for the world". You come across as greedy, sleazy, brainwashed salespeople pushing your "get rich quick" ebooks on desperate new practitioners.

And I don't even want to hear that "people who say it's not about the money usually don't have any" BS. I MAKE OVER $60,000 A YEAR WHILE TAKING CARE OF MYSELF AND OTHERS TOO! Somehow in my conversations about massage the topic of "MONEYMONEYMONEY" never comes up! I speak of customer service...the best techniques for rotator cuff injuries...ways to help people relax who have a hard time letting go. You know, MASSAGE STUFF!!!!!!!!

Ugh, you types make me sick. That's the last time I'm wasting any more of my precious energy on any of you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Mia in Portland, Oregon

65 months ago

This comment is for EVERYONE, not just the brainwashed, money-grubbing automotons that compulsively push their books on this forum.

Finding a mentor is EASY, EASY, EASY! Anyone who says it isn't hasn't bothered to try, or is lying.

I found a mentor even before I graduated school. I spoke with my teachers about finding one. For simply expressing interest, a substitute teacher ASKED ME to work at his his sports medicine clinic as his helper. He was a founder of the British Sports Society and was conducting research in the states. I have a background in statistics and traded number crunching for mentoring.

Now I am a mentor. I have mentored 6 new graduates who have gone on to establish their own successful clinics, who in turn are mentoring others...I have referred many new gradates to others for mentoring when I was too full...all from just SPEAKING UP and ASKING my instructor.

But I'm not selling anything here...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

thebodyworker in Redmond, Washington

65 months ago

I have over 1200 pages of free content on my site and it has been online for free since 1999 so how you get that I am all about the money is beyond me and people's reaction to making more money on here is really representative of the massage professions judgments about money and people with money that is also part of what keeps massage therapists from making any. Most massage therapists don't make it more than a few years because they burn out, are broke and have health issues.

If you are making $60,000 a year as a massage employee I am not talking about you - it's the others who can't pay their bills and are working at franchises for $15 an hour. If you have your own business and are making $60k that is fine too but you can make more if you care to. In making more you can actually help more people and use that money to set up mentoring type spa/massage businesses to support the profession or free clinics and much much more.

You can make what you want to make.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Mama Mia! Beautifully said! I would nominate that tirade for an Emmy if it was possible. Thank you for posting another response about how much money you can make, Julie. We haven't heard that from you before.

What more can be said except: If you think you can find a mentor, you will!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

searching4more in Bell, California

65 months ago

thebodyworker in Redmond, Washington said: I have over 1200 pages of free content on my site and it has been online for free since 1999 so how you get that I am all about the money is beyond me and people's reaction to making more money on here is really representative of the massage professions judgments about money and people with money that is also part of what keeps massage therapists from making any.

The reason we say you're all about the money is because that's the only topic you ever post about. That's the only topic you ever write about. Even when you do write about a good topic like self-care, you make the ultimate goal of it to make more money, not as an end in itself.

You're so focused on money that you can't even see the rest of us keep telling you over and over again on different forums. It has nothing to do with our judgments about money or people with money.

It has everything to do with the fact that we are focused on providing quality care at affordable prices. You are not. It's that simple.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Harmonee in Boise, Idaho

65 months ago

I see a lot of "if you think you will...then it will happen". Not always true. I thought I would love massage for a career. I don't. Neither do any of the other massage people I know. I've done it for 9 years and am the last one of my dozens of friends/classmates to still be here. And I make good money too. But the whole experience is such a pain overall that it's not a good job for me. Or anyone else I know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Harmonee in Boise, Idaho

65 months ago

I believe students and new practitioners should hear diverse opinions. Not just the positive ones. It's not bashing. It's healthy. Everyone has the right to make their own opinions based on evidence from all sides.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mia in Portland, Oregon

65 months ago

And it's impossible to have a conversation about anything anywhere when forums are constantly bombarded with "buy my book". If you people could actually give good information ONCE without the shameless plug, we wouldn't be so sick of you. Many, many people have told me this is the reason they do not participate here. They're bombarded with obviously ridiculous and scripted plugs from shameless Massage Envy owners, or web site/book promoters like you.

Mia in Portland, Oregon

65 months ago

You don't care about or understand my feelings, or the feelings of anyone else who would like to participate in forums without having your book shoved in their faces. But that was a pretty good - although lame - attempt to divert my anger away from you flooding this forum YET AGAIN to sell your book.

You are the same as Massage Envy.

searching4more in Bell, California

65 months ago

Agreed. I did appreciate the advice at first but now it's just over the top. Count me out of this forum too!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Much thanks to whoever it is at indeed.com who is deleting all the unnecessary spam. It leaves room for the rest of us to have unbiased discussions about massage as a career. WE APPRECIATE IT VERY MUCH!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wingnut in Chicago, Illinois

65 months ago

Sometimes, the message isn't different, just the receiver!
Without disclosing too much about myself, I will only state that no one can predict your future but you. If you believe in you, then the doors open.
I have worked as an LMT for nearly a decade and have always made less than $100k, but then again, I can see where opportunities are there if you grab them.
Most get tired and complacent - which is the kiss of death to this career.
I wanted to be able to not struggle, so that's what I made. If money were my main goal, I would be able to formulate more and more teaching ways for therapists and clients. The field doesn't stop you - you do.
People do not understand the physiology of their body and once you tell them how it works, they trust you, they return to you and they buy your suggested products.
This is not manipulation, this is SALES, based on TRUST. Julie and the body worker are on target and the rest are so off target that they appear wrong.
If you had pain and I could help you, why does my wanting to do that on a larger scale, so bad?
Personally, I am burnt out and don't do the business plans, but don't bash those that do. As far as I'm concerned, the entire medical field has not permitted our presence as true allied healthcare providers, so if anyone can earn as much as an MD, go for it! I wouldn't choose to be an LMT if I could do it all over again, but the experience it brings is justified.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Meagan in Seattle, Washington

65 months ago

wingnut in Chicago, Illinois said: Sometimes, the message isn't different, just the receiver!
Without disclosing too much about myself, I will only state that no one can predict your future but you. If you believe in you, then the doors open.
I have worked as an LMT for nearly a decade and have always made less than $100k, but then again, I can see where opportunities are there if you grab them.
Most get tired and complacent - which is the kiss of death to this career.
I wanted to be able to not struggle, so that's what I made. If money were my main goal, I would be able to formulate more and more teaching ways for therapists and clients. The field doesn't stop you - you do.
People do not understand the physiology of their body and once you tell them how it works, they trust you, they return to you and they buy your suggested products.
This is not manipulation, this is SALES, based on TRUST. Julie and the body worker are on target and the rest are so off target that they appear wrong.
If you had pain and I could help you, why does my wanting to do that on a larger scale, so bad?
Personally, I am burnt out and don't do the business plans, but don't bash those that do. As far as I'm concerned, the entire medical field has not permitted our presence as true allied healthcare providers, so if anyone can earn as much as an MD, go for it! I wouldn't choose to be an LMT if I could do it all over again, but the experience it brings is justified.

Thank you for your honest contribution. The truth is that until we can support one another in moving forward, and being healthy and well provided for ourselves... our impact will never be as powerful as it can and should be. I like to believe that the majority of us who last long term in this profession have a deep and underlined compassion for humanity. By earning more, and making less you can have more time for meaningful interactions, volunteer work, and even global impact if you so choose.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.