Getting a materials handler job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Host

How did you get your start doing materials handler work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

catherine quinn in Portsmouth, Virginia

76 months ago

Actually, started as a parts puller, then product line puller, then storeroom/receiving. Learned to drive fork-lift back then just by practice. Wanted to become storeroom supervisor, but back then the company always promoted men to the supervisor positions, so went to tool room attendant (same company), learned to read micrometers in the tool room and when quality position opened up, landed there. Company bought land and was moving within the city and I was asked to train temporaries and coordinate moving parts from the old location to the new location, when that "temporary assignment" was over (someone else had taken over my quality position), I was back in storeroom as lead storeroom. Was told to answer questions, fill in for absentees.... That got pretty boring so, since it seemed I was not going to be able to move anywhere from there, applied at a new company in the area. There I began as an assembler, (material positions were already taken) worked 5 years as that, then an opening for shipping clerk came up, after about a year, it was decided that that position should be shipping clerk/material handler, that was the most fun I have had, and fast paced. Then a position in the office came open and several people said I should apply, and I did, and got it, (material coordinator) actually a cross between material handling and planner, I cycled counted parts that were assigned to me, planned and scheduled the materials/truckloads that were required for production each day ( highly stressful/a just in time environment) This was 11.5 years with that company and was laid off due to plant closure. I have only a high school diploma, and the gumption to nose around and get into anything that interests me. Because if you have time in one position look/learn at another so when the position is available you have and edge to apply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.