Advancing my career

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

David in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

112 months ago

I've been able to move up from a shipping & receiving job in a warehouse to the Branch Manager of my company's TX location and now I am back in NJ as a Material Manager. This all happened within the first 7 years of my being with the company. Now I find that my advancement could be slowed severely if I don't further my education. At this time my responsibilities include general materials management, lead auditor for the company's quality management process, and some database & computer software creation & testing. What area of study would you suggest to help further my career? Or what area should I consider moving my career toward?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ronnie Sparks in Las Vegas, Nevada

108 months ago

David in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I've been able to move up from a shipping & receiving job in a warehouse to the Branch Manager of my company's TX location and now I am back in NJ as a Material Manager. This all happened within the first 7 years of my being with the company. Now I find that my advancement could be slowed severely if I don't further my education. At this time my responsibilities include general materials management, lead auditor for the company's quality management process, and some database & computer software creation & testing. What area of study would you suggest to help further my career? Or what area should I consider moving my career toward?

David,

Seek certifiacations in NPMA or APICS. These will help boost your career tremendously.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lobos in Hartsdale, New York

74 months ago

Keep in mind that economic climate plays an important role here. Employers are low balling everybody. People with an MBA are getting short changed.

Have your employer pay for these certifications by the way.

Michelle - Recruiting Manager in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

69 months ago

Southeast US area Materials Manager posting that may interest you-- do a search at Monster.com (the company is confidential right now).

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.