Top math teacher skills needed to get the job.

Comments (6)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every math teacher must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your math teacher expertise?

DaveSaba in Washington, District of Columbia

65 months ago

You need to get certified and need to understand how to translate the material so that students can understand. Take a look at www.abcte.org for a way to quickly get up to speed on teaching.

Tom in Westborough, Massachusetts

64 months ago

I'm working to become a HS math teacher. Did not major in math, and am doing all this work in my spare time. Taking PreCalc now. If you read this, drop me a note, tell me how you like your math career. Its TRULY what I want to do, but the stuff is hard !!! Also, anybody who might like to say what they think is the greatest feat to date of mathematics, and what future feats you might envision. After all, its something that so far has had no peak, historically speaking. Or has it?

Bob in International Falls, Minnesota

58 months ago

I've only read two threads in this forum and both have asked a similar question.

The most important skill is language (native to those you teach). If you don't write well or speak well, you probably won't be a good teacher.

Second would be mastery of your subject area. Yes, I believe this is second to superb communication skills.

Drive. If you don't want to, you can't.

To Tom:

I'm assuming English is your second language or you're a young person. That's what I get from your comment. You may not be, but I want you to know that's how people will perceive you. Pick up a grammar book and ace it, then work on your math.

Tom in Westborough, Massachusetts

58 months ago

Bob: You sound snooty. You may not be, but I want you to know that's how people will perceive you. You didn't respond to my post. I'd welcome that if you'd care to! I can do without the condescension.

math rules in Westborough, Massachusetts

57 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every math teacher must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your math teacher expertise?

As I look back on my math classes, and the complaints of so many people regarding theirs, one thing really stands out: the failure of instructors to peak student interest by showing, on day ONE, some real world examples of the POWER of algebra, geometry, trig, calc, etc. Day one should be all about showing examples of the great things that these subjects can achieve, and we'll start to learn HOW on day two.......... It would go a long way towards the teacher excelling, it seems to me. On day TWO, the students would open their books with interest and purpose, or at least an appreciation as to WHY they should study these disciplines. After all, its the end product that motivates us. If you put your kids in the car and just drive for hours and hours they will be miserable because they DO NOT SEE THE POINT. But if you tell them you are going to Disneyworld, that all changes. I done reckon Bob would agree with at leest some of this here stuff I written.........

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.