mds working from home

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 73)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

zc

82 months ago

Im an RN and interested in taking an MDS certification course I was wondering- some Nursing Home offered to set my friend up at her home computer so that she can work as the MDS coordinator from home
how is this possible dont you need to be in the facility to do the work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (89) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Sandy in Houston, Texas

81 months ago

zc said: Im an RN and interested in taking an MDS certification course I was wondering- some Nursing Home offered to set my friend up at her home computer so that she can work as the MDS coordinator from home

No, not if it is internet based.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Monique in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

81 months ago

zc said: Im an RN and interested in taking an MDS certification course I was wondering- some Nursing Home offered to set my friend up at her home computer so that she can work as the MDS coordinator from home

I find it quite difficult to be able to work from home as the mds requies you to see, speak, touch, and have one one interaction with that resident/patient. The only internet based mds is the virtual nursing home were all of the pateints/residents are on online and that is how you actually care for them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

zc in Newark, New Jersey

81 months ago

Sandy in Houston, Texas said: No, not if it is internet based.

what do you mean by internet based how do you do your assessments?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tammy in Tulsa, Oklahoma

81 months ago

It is possible. YOu don't just do all the work at home. I do it. I go to work gather information, get all my answers for mds, but freq. have alot of assessment. So work time I gather the info. then at home, I put the information in and do the raps, and careplan. This is great for me, because then I don't have to stay late at office typing in the information and reduce interruptions by other staff, and I can be home with my daughter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

zc in Butler, New Jersey

81 months ago

sounds amazing- I just applied to a couple of places and being that I have children at home I would also want to do it the way you do. I hope you wont find it too intrusive if I ask you how many hours it takes you to gather all your info at the facility you work at and or how many patients that is for. thanks in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sandy in Houston, Texas

81 months ago

What I mean is that if you work at a facility and your system in the facility is internet based then if you need to you can do MDS at home.
Sandy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tammy in Tulsa, Oklahoma

81 months ago

I have a 60 bed facility with average 20 medicare. however. I do my 8 hours and if need to stay late instead I take it home. Now, for you....... you would need to see what the needs of your facility is and what they are willing to work out for you.
I am the only one and I put in alot of time. I continue to let them know I need help and a partner. But they have not found one yet. So I carry the ball on it all.

However, hopefully your facility has more then one person doing it, or you only have LTC. where you can manage it.
But it not fair to base your ability off of mine. Each facility has different needs. I have to know more to help you figure how to manage it.
Also have you been doing MDS a long time or are you new at it. I been doing it for over 10 years, so I know what I need and go in and don't waste time in things that don't affect the assessment. Also, if you have staff that charting is good, it makes it easier, you don't have to ask as many questions to get to the info you need, or have to dig, question, hunt to find out what wrong with patient,and there needs and abilities.
write me again, I talk with you and help if I can.
sincerely,
tammy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tammy in Tulsa, Oklahoma

81 months ago

yes, it is internet based, and you use remote desktop connection with personal number to connect the two computors. It is like setting right at your desk at work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Debby

81 months ago

Hi I have been following this forum for a while - could someone advise me as to what exactly an mds nurse does as opposed to a coordinator? also what is the salary range for mds coordinator and for mds nurses

Sandra Andrews in Houston, Texas

81 months ago

Nurse and coordinator is the same thing.
Salaries depend on where you live and the company. Houston, Texas ranges around 21 to 30 dollars, depending on experience

debby

80 months ago

Sandra Andrews in Houston, Texas said: Nurse and coordinator is the same thing.
Salaries depend on where you live and the company. Houston, Texas ranges around 21 to 30 dollars, depending on experience

i think your mistaken sandra - i applied at a facility which told me they have a mds coordinator but will hire me as an mds nurse if i was interested

debby

80 months ago

thanks but thats not an option for me at this time although if you know of an oppurtunity like that in new york i would be thrilled!

THE MDS TOTAL PACKAGE in Lake Elsinore, California

77 months ago

A couple things jump out of my mind when I read this. You have to be were you can assess the resident...... unless all you are doing is data entry of the information. I have worked where they used a non nursing personel to enter mds assissments.

Working at home you would need to be HIPAA compliant. Just like when we have a rep come in the facility from another they have to sign or their company needs to sign agreements that they will keep all medical records safe, secure and confidential.

Once, a home health nurse was in a car accident and her charting records were all over the street. The were going to press charges against her for not keeping records secure. Ever since then we used locked boxes until we had computers for them to use in the field.

From what I have been exposed to the term MDS Coordinator and MDS Nurse as one in the same.

Hope this info helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

tammy in Tulsa, Oklahoma

77 months ago

YOU are HIPPA compliant. All you are able to do is input your assessment, raps, and if want careplan from home. You are at work, assessing the person, review, and taking notes. But the nice thing is INSTEAD of staying at work to input it all, you get to go home, feed the children, clean up, get them to bed, and then sit in the comfort of your own home and put it in. It also saves time due to your not at work and being interrupted by family, patients, or other staff members. NO ONE can get in, all the work you print is at work waiting for you in am ot review and for all to sign.
It not rocket science.... It is just a way to get you home to family and take care of them and yet get your work done. You have to ask yourself if your willing to do some office work at home, inorder to be at home. For me, I was, I don't have to pay to eat out for dinner, I don't pay sitter for staying late, i spend more time with child, instead getting home when they are in bed, i took care of my mom. To me the little time i do at home for work is worth what i get in the end and saving money. And i have less errors for not in a rush to put it in to get home.

debby

77 months ago

so guys how does this work? did you take your job with the understanding between you and your employer that youd be able to do work from home - did you discuss it at your interview? are employer open to this?

kristen in Herrin, Illinois

76 months ago

Yes and no. MDS Coordinator can also be someone who has their degree in Social work, Therapist, pretty much any health care career. However, most companies want to have or SHOULD have someone with a nursing degree, preferrably RN. But the coordinator guidlines in order to go through the Certification process requires some sort of health care (hands on) background.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tammy in Tulsa, Oklahoma

76 months ago

Apparently, you don't get it. YOU can't get into CMS at home, you can't takes paper work at home. My point is, instead of staying at work to type up all that is in your head, and not be with family. Is some have option of desk top remote and lets you put in answers, do raps, or careplan. From your notes you make and what is in your head you should be about to do this. NOW if it something you don't want to do fine. But don't make the assumption that I don't have it secured, or breaking HIPPA, or taking resident info home. It far from it. Your computer at work should be sccured already. the screen is locked and nobody can see, if someone touches the computer the link is broken on both parts. So it secure. And nobody should be about to get into your computer at work due to the CMS and etc.

mds in Belton, Texas

75 months ago

In some of our buildings we have internet based systems called matrix some companys have other systems called quickcare, achieve, or accucare just so happens matrix is internet based and it is secure. You have passwords and everything. I can see how she would do her work at home, she said she does her day at work then when she's not finished she takes it home. She could either make a copy of the blank mds assessment she is going to complete and answer all the questions and then take that copy home and just do the data entry at home or just make copies of everything that supports the mds she is going to complete and input it from her home. In Texas mds nurse, mds coordinator, nac(nurse assessment coordinator), resident assessment coordinator, resident assessment nurse, all usually mean the same thing just depends on the company you work for, and can be an rn or an lvn.

mamawolffnurse

74 months ago

I am interested in pursuing a certification in MDS. I am a LPN with 23 years of Utilization Review and Case Management experience. I was also a disharge planner and a SNF/Swing bed coordinator. Can you help me with finding where I can get the certification in Oklahoma?

Debcrw in Tulia, Texas

74 months ago

Hi I have been following this forum for a while - could someone advise me as to what exactly an mds nurse does as opposed to a coordinator? also what is the salary range for mds coordinator and for mds nurses.

I think the difference is just that maybe this facility has a coordinator and is hiring a second or third person to assist the coordinator with data input or assessments. Yet they have a person that coordinates the assessments. The MDS coordinator would track the MDS schedule, coordinate all the different departments and plan care plan meetings, and possibly assess and do data input and submit to state. I also think it is possible for someone other than nursing to do this coordinator job, but a nurse should assess, do data input and submit to state.

Kit Kat in Madison, Wisconsin

74 months ago

RAC-CT is a Certified Resident Assessment Coordinator. It is the certification you receive from AANAC upon completion of their program. It is much more recognized than the NRAI program. Salary ranges for MDS Coordinators in Madison is $51000 to $61000 depending on experience and education.
Personally, on the matter of doing input at home. I want to be home with my small children to be with them and not doing work...even if it is the "critical thinking" component. I do work at work and am home with my family at home. The two shall not cross. MDS is a 40+ hour per week job and requires your flexibility to assess across all 3 shifts of work all the time. At home is for home. Flex your schedules to cover work and home time appropriately - don't short your families. I have been doing this for 12+years and flexible scheduling is the key.

74 months ago

debby said: i think your mistaken sandra - i applied at a facility which told me they have a mds coordinator but will hire me as an mds nurse if i was interested

Some places have an MDS Coordinator that "coordinates the entire RAI process and the PPS reimbursement (and in some states the Medicaid Case Mix reimbursement)". This is in addition to an MDS nurse who does the assessments, RAPs, Careplans and meeting attendance. It just depends on the company.

74 months ago

mamawolffnurse said: I am interested in pursuing a certification in MDS. I am a LPN with 23 years of Utilization Review and Case Management experience. I was also a disharge planner and a SNF/Swing bed coordinator. Can you help me with finding where I can get the certification in Oklahoma?

Go to www.aanac.org this is the American Association of Nurse Assessment Coordinators. They run their certification program all over the U.S. You can do it online, you can do it by mail (you used to be able to anyway, they may have eliminated the by mail due to paper reduction policies). The certification program is not cheap but is certainly the most recognized and the most useful and informative - especially in the follow up they offer.

cojotx in Fairfield, Texas

72 months ago

There is no way anyone could possibly do the MDS coordinator job from home, well not legally anyways..I am an LVN and have been doing MDS' since they first hit the scene in (I think about 1987) and unless the are just inputting the data that someone else has gathered they aren't getting all of the info needed. There is alot of picking through the charts to get it correctly. Remember you are putting your license numbers on these.

cojotx in Fairfield, Texas

72 months ago

Debby said: Hi I have been following this forum for a while - could someone advise me as to what exactly an mds nurse does as opposed to a coordinator? also what is the salary range for mds coordinator and for mds nurses

In all of the facilities I have worked for since the MDS come on the scene (around 1987) the MDS/Coordinator are one and the same. Pay usually around 20.00 an hour. This is in Central Texas.

nrswrk in Shawano, Wisconsin

72 months ago

Kit Kat in Madison, Wisconsin said: Go to www.aanac.org this is the American Association of Nurse Assessment Coordinators. They run their certification program all over the U.S. You can do it online, you can do it by mail (you used to be able to anyway, they may have eliminated the by mail due to paper reduction policies). The certification program is not cheap but is certainly the most recognized and the most useful and informative - especially in the follow up they offer.

Kit Kat,
Are these certification programs only effective for those currently working as MDS coordinators? I did MDS coordination just over 10 years ago - manually. Would I be able to take one of these conferences and actually function well in that position again after having been away from it? Or.. what would you suggest if I was interested in gaining the knowledge to do this job again?

Nrswrk

Kit Kat in Mc Farland, Wisconsin

72 months ago

nrswrk in Shawano, Wisconsin said: Kit Kat,
Are these certification programs only effective for those currently working as MDS coordinators? I did MDS coordination just over 10 years ago - manually. Would I be able to take one of these conferences and actually function well in that position again after having been away from it? Or.. what would you suggest if I was interested in gaining the knowledge to do this job again?

Nrswrk

So many changes have occurred in the past 10 years with MDS and the requirements for coding it and the updates and such that I don't think you could effectively take the 3 day course that is offered and be successful. I think you would be overwhelmed. I do however think that you could self educate by doing one or two courses yourself from the AANAC online university or by ordering them by mail through AANAC so that you had all the information and could go through it at your own pace so as to refresh and earn your certification with a sense of confidence and achievement that only you could give yourself. You would have the manuals to read, and could do the tests online. Also, I think that any employer would be thrilled to hire someone that is willing to re-learn, re-certify and re-train for a position like MDS. MDS nurses are a hot commodity.
kat

Shannon in Rockford, Illinois

71 months ago

MdS coordinators near Chicago are making between 43,000-65,000 a year DOE. I live 90 miles west Of Chicago and I make 60,000. I am also a stand alone coordinator with 100 beds, we have about 25-30 medicare claims a mo. and it is very hard to get everything done in 8 hours. I spend alot of time working over

Judi in Jersey City, New Jersey

71 months ago

I don't know what they want me to type

71 months ago

does anyone know how I can become certified and begin to make more money and add some job security. I need to learn abut Medicaide coding and CMI mixes . Thanks for anyone answers , I live n NJ so if outside closer is better than half country away unless I convince a friend and we make a vacation

Tammy Spears in Tulsa, Oklahoma

71 months ago

Go to AANAC.com and sign up as a member, then pay to take the RAC-CT course. This will make you a Resident assessment coordinator - Certified. It will teach you about coding, extra, and make sure you know your MDS business.
They also have a web site to ask and get answers from, even some work for the government. It is ltcnursenet@ltcnn.org. If you ever have a question you can write them and get them to answer. good luck be blessed, and remember put GOD first.

71 months ago

Thank you Tammy I will do that. Hopefully it doesn't cost allot right now money is very tight.

Brenda in Fulton, Mississippi

70 months ago

cojotx in Fairfield, Texas said: There is no way anyone could possibly do the MDS coordinator job from home, well not legally anyways..I am an LVN and have been doing MDS' since they first hit the scene in (I think about 1987) and unless the are just inputting the data that someone else has gathered they aren't getting all of the info needed. There is alot of picking through the charts to get it correctly. Remember you are putting your license numbers on these.

I learned a long time ago: never say never; or not to say something is impossible. Change is inevitable and someone is always coming up with a new and more efficient way to do things. So many of you follow nurse seem to be so narrow mined. Wake UP.

70 months ago

Brenda in Fulton, Mississippi said: I learned a long time ago: never say never; or not to say something is impossible. Change is inevitable and someone is always coming up with a new and more efficient way to do things. So many of you follow nurse seem to be so narrow mined. Wake UP.

Brenda, I'm not sure why you think so many of us fellow nurses are narrow minded - the fact that the majority of us that have been in the field negate doing the work at home should tell you something. How do you assess their wound from home? How do you go through their clinical record at home? How do you interview them from home? How do you interview staff from your home? How do you review I+O sheets, pain sheets, psych/behavior tracking sheets, the chart to count the number of days of doctor orders, the chart to look at the MD/NP progress notes to see if you can count them as a visit based on what was documented, the recent labs, the MAR to count meds, the TAR to check treatments FROM HOME??? Data entry is one thing. Critical thinking is another, and Careplan development yet another. You need a fair bit of info to do critical thinking and develop a careplan and most often your personal notes do not have everything. I would also be hesitant to sign off on an MDS that was completed at home. The real issue is not CAN YOU/CAN'T YOU --- it's WHY WOULD YOU! Your home time is for family, friends, company, relaxation, cooking, reading, swimming,watching tv, etc. Having a home office is great for some, but the MDS field is really not that "home office" kind of job. You can't do an MDS (and related items) like you can do telephone triage.

70 months ago

Debby said: Hi I have been following this forum for a while - could someone advise me as to what exactly an mds nurse does as opposed to a coordinator? also what is the salary range for mds coordinator and for mds nurses

MDS nurse and MDS co-ordinator are not one in the same at some facilities. The MDS co-ordinator is the one following the Medicare/Medicaid persons and setting the schedules to maximize reimbursement for those two payment categories. The MDS nurse is the one completing the assessments and follow through as needed.

Lisa W in Saint Louis, Missouri

70 months ago

you would need to be in the facility at some point to assess the patient and to review thier charts, but to write the care plan you could input that data from home after you did the field work part.

70 months ago

kristen in Herrin, Illinois said: Yes and no. MDS Coordinator can also be someone who has their degree in Social work, Therapist, pretty much any health care career. However, most companies want to have or SHOULD have someone with a nursing degree, preferrably RN. But the coordinator guidlines in order to go through the Certification process requires some sort of health care (hands on) background.

I am a LPN that has been doing MDS's for several years and my skills are just as good as any RN's when it comes to getting accurate assessments. I have traveled and helped troubled buildings get ready for survey. from 0 to 100 in less than 2 months and no tags when they was 3 months behind...so not always is an RN bettter suited, sorry I take offense to that. some of the best MDS nurses I have worked with have all been LPN's, the RN's are too slow most of the time and code inaccurate the other part of the time. LOL sorry just from 25 yrs of experience.

Kristen H

70 months ago

I never said that only an RN can do it. I am in So. Ill and am an LPN and I too have been doing them for 6 years for a company of 7 homes through out the state. The question was whom can do them. All I did was answer the question. BTW. No tags here either all
6 years.

70 months ago

I trained a fantastic MDS nurse that is an LPN. She was my left hand for several years. The problem is that in some states, simply by nature of the wording of licensure of an LPN THEY CANNOT ASSESS. They can collect data and input/document the data; but they cannot assess. I have worked with several LPN's that are absolutely fantastic and some RN's that absolutely SUCK!! BE VERY FAMILIAR WITH THE WORDING OF YOUR STATE'S LICENSURE FOR THE LPN. We have been sited and fined by surveyors in Wisconsin for having an LPN do Bowel/Bladder assessments; Pain Assessments; Admission Assessments, etc; and the MDS assessments/RAPs. They can however participate in Careplan development (I stress the word "participate"). In Wisconsin, an LPN cannot make the "assessment" to determine whether or not a patient receives 1 or 2 tabs of Tylenol. There are no range orders where I am because of this type of site and the "assessment" that goes with determining whether or not a patient needs "1-2 tabs of percocet every 4-6 hours for pain". Ridiculous - Yes. True - Yes.

70 months ago

It really depends on the state who is legally allowed to do the MDS. In NJ only Rn's are allowed to do assessments; and there are some LPN; but not many anymore.I have worked with some wonderful LPNs and then I have worked some very lazy nurses in both LPNs and Rn's. Years ago I was taught MDS by a LPN and she could and did run around all the other nurses. Now I wonder what they are going to do when the Reg change in 2010 and the codes are becoming more that need to be actual what it should be not just a code in error or a thing that can't be substantive . A attorney said this is going to cost millions to facilities etc. It going to become more difficult for all MDS coordinators ; and hopefully the salaries go up. In this state they still pay so much less than acute care.

70 months ago

In Missouri an LPN can do the all assesments for the MDS we just have to have an RN sign for completion of the assessment, we sign for accuracy and the RN signs for completion. I have been doing it for years... I Love writing the care plans LOL Some think all MDS nurses are sicko's but I Love it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Terri in Spartanburg, South Carolina

70 months ago

Judi in Jersey City, New Jersey said: does anyone know how I can become certified and begin to make more money and add some job security. I need to learn abut Medicaide coding and CMI mixes . Thanks for anyone answers , I live n NJ so if outside closer is better than half country away unless I convince a friend and we make a vacation

NASPAC is the name of the certification program I attended, costing around $600 3day course with 3 hour exam at the end. I think they offer it periodically in various states.
Terri

tammy spears in Tulsa, Oklahoma

70 months ago

Join AANAC as a member, then pay to take their certification oourse. It is reconized across the US. And in the mean time sign up on the chat line to learn more about Medicare, Medicaid and case mix. The web site is also part of the membership. You get to chat with people actually being consultants for CMS. And people that are part of the CMS change. I have to admit my boss did me the biggest favor ever! signing me up. You will be learning about the case mix etc just from the chat site.

70 months ago

soon as get back to work, I am going to join the AANAC and do the NASPAC certificate. In the mean time I am looking at travelling to different states and do ED. Thanks for the info It really does help to know what direction I have to go in. (Judi)

70 months ago

Judi in Jersey City, New Jersey said: soon as get back to work, I am going to join the AANAC and do the NASPAC certificate. In the mean time I am looking at travelling to different states and do ED. Thanks for the info It really does help to know what direction I have to go in. (Judi)

Judy, check out which certification is most recognized in your area. Just call a couple of area nursing homes and ask their MDS co-ordinators which certification they have. The AANAC certification is more nationally recognized (I have found anyways) than the NASPAC certificate. I would hate for you to waste money on one or the other when you only need one certification. Good luck.

reflexologist in Tobyhanna, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

Sandy in Houston, Texas said: No, not if it is internet based.

I disagree! You must be able to evaluate the patient in person, and you must go through their chart to ensure that you put the correct data in. How can you tell if the patient needs maximum assist of one, or extensive assist of 2, if you don't read the information, observe the patient, and ask the staff questions?

70 months ago

WOW !........... Does anyone have any idea what a assistance DON makes. I have an interview for this position on Thursday ; and I want to know when they are offering me a salary if they are low balling the salary. They are interest in me because I know MDS as well so I am not sure what they are thinking; and I am out of work so I don't want them to under pay me because they think I really need a job. I have years experience in taking charge, being a coordinator in an ED ,and supervisor on weekends so I am sure I can learn the ropes of being a Assistance DON. But since I know MDS I am little more versed then most, that I have met. (Judi)

sommaishel@yahoo.com in Sacramento, California

69 months ago

I beleive you need to be in facility to do assesment and collect all data to in put in computer and they count the hour for nursing hours to meet 3.2 hours staffing per day. I don't know how they can do that for your friend. I did try once with my facility they 're not allow.

69 months ago

It sounds like you do more than 8 hours a day; which makes your salary really less than a 40/hr week would. It just seems if set up at home the work hours at home should also be paid or time off. How does home hours get counted for those who work at home? I have a interview with somewhere in Union city, NJ and I am telling them I want 90,000 for my work. Otherwise I will move to another state. I hate Jersey anymore/

Tammy in Tulsa, Oklahoma said: I have a 60 bed facility with average 20 medicare. however. I do my 8 hours and if need to stay late instead I take it home. Now, for you....... you would need to see what the needs of your facility is and what they are willing to work out for you.
I am the only one and I put in alot of time. I continue to let them know I need help and a partner. But they have not found one yet. So I carry the ball on it all.

However, hopefully your facility has more then one person doing it, or you only have LTC. where you can manage it.
But it not fair to base your ability off of mine. Each facility has different needs. I have to know more to help you figure how to manage it.
Also have you been doing MDS a long time or are you new at it. I been doing it for over 10 years, so I know what I need and go in and don't waste time in things that don't affect the assessment. Also, if you have staff that charting is good, it makes it easier, you don't have to ask as many questions to get to the info you need, or have to dig, question, hunt to find out what wrong with patient,and there needs and abilities.
write me again, I talk with you and help if I can.
sincerely,
tammy

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.