What are the best meat cutter qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a meat cutter? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective meat cutter?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

teapot5 in Cape Coral, Florida

62 months ago

I have been a meat cutter for about one year now, and I'm only 19 years of age. I work at winn-dixie, there is really only one way I have found to get trained in this field, that is to do it.No certification is going to make you a better meat cutter only practice and I dont know of any schooling you could receive either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jjsscrb@aol.com in Rancho Palos Verdes, California

62 months ago

I would like to get training right now. I live in Carson, CA. Where can I go that's convenient for me now? I have very little money, and must get out of the hole first. Also, I am 63 yrs old, but in very good shape.
Bruce Robinson

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dan in Ventura, California

53 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming a meat cutter? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective meat cutter?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

truthfully.....if u have meat experience you should bypass being a cutter & try to join the USDA...fed employment is bonded and way better pay scale i'm trying to leave being a cutter work is too scarce and top top pay is like $25/hr mngmt in a good shop.....where fed's pay up to $88k with minimal college...and positions are all over the nation..USAJOB.com food inspector position....it will take u to USDA website for apply

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dan in Ventura, California

53 months ago

jjsscrb@aol.com in Rancho Palos Verdes, California said: I would like to get training right now. I live in Carson, CA. Where can I go that's convenient for me now? I have very little money, and must get out of the hole first. Also, I am 63 yrs old, but in very good shape.
Bruce Robinson

only way u can get in is 2 yrs in an independant market who will hire u for a meat clerk...customer service on the meat & fish counter or look ta cypress college they used to have an apprenticship program

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.