What are the best medical assistant phlebotomist qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a medical assistant phlebotomist? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective medical assistant phlebotomist?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

withak in Binghamton, New York

80 months ago

You dont need anything but a HS diploma to be a phlebotomist... MA classes help but if you want to work soleley in phlebotomy and the lab all you need to know are the proper techniques on drawing blood. They will train u but you should go to a couple of classes and get certified to guarentee yourself the job.. Its way cheaper than getting your MA or MOA ...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cali

73 months ago

withak in Binghamton, New York said: You dont need anything but a HS diploma to be a phlebotomist... MA classes help but if you want to work soleley in phlebotomy and the lab all you need to know are the proper techniques on drawing blood. They will train u but you should go to a couple of classes and get certified to guarentee yourself the job.. Its way cheaper than getting your MA or MOA ...

Cali: The comment was correct, but I would go for the Medical Assistant, because it will give you a better understanding of a career in the Medical Field. Because the goal of the Medical field is not to stop getting educated in one area. There are so many other that you can get involve in. Do yourself a favor and make sure this is what your heart desire.
Just Remember the Medical Field is here for life, and the more you work in it the more you will won't more of it.as a Medical Assistant is just like working as a LVN in some many areas. Learn your medication and phlebotomist. and go for the star. Know life is what you make it. Don't let anyone change your mind, live for you and no one else.
Good Luck, May God Bless you. GO FOR IT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cali

73 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming a medical assistant phlebotomist? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective medical assistant phlebotomist?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Cali: I would look for a school that will certifie you in the area of Medical Assistand / x-ray tech or Phlebotomy that way you will be well round and have more to offer when your done. The more you have to offer when finishing school the better you will become in getting that job. Please pay close attention and keep that smile going it will work out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cathy saba in Brockton, Massachusetts

68 months ago

I am so confused. I don't weather to take phlebotomy or a medical asst. class. I want to know who makes more?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Savannah Brie in Stafford, Virginia

68 months ago

cathy saba in Brockton, Massachusetts said: I am so confused. I don't weather to take phlebotomy or a medical asst. class. I want to know who makes more?

In my opinion, I think you should go for medical assisting and get certified. There are also programs that will certify you in phlebotomy and EKG along with your certification in Medical assisting. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

BillY-BoB in West Salem, Ohio

65 months ago

Medical assisting classes will probably allow you to find a job sooner - in a nursing home, home health agency, maybe even a hospital.

Phlebotomy training in many medical assisting classes will NOT meet national standards developed by the ASCP
www.ascp.org, the national phlebotomy association, etc. We see a number of graduates from the medical assisting classes or the 'weekend phlebotomy classes' that are very frustrated because we (hospital lab) won't hire... not enough training, background, etc.

good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

tara

22 months ago

I am a cma and a pbt and i tell ya i cant find work doing either but in many places they are phasing out the cma for a less trained cheaper to pay pct

Alex in Los Angeles, California

3 months ago

I am a CMA graduated in Utah but moved to L.A and I am having a hard time getting hired, what are the requirements here to get hired besides the experience that I don't have? Do I need to also have a Phlebotomy certification as well or is the unemployment rate so bad that people just won't hire unexperienced CMAs?

adam in Gastonia, North Carolina

24 days ago

I would like to recommend a site. www.ephlebotomytraining.com , it's got some pretty good information regarding a career in phlebotomy. Hope it helps.

cheers

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.