tips on drawing blood. what angle do you place the needle? (butterfly) and should the specium tube already be attached?? s

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

JWB in Larose, Louisiana

88 months ago

Are you serious??!!??

In case you are, I'll answer your question.
Have needle bevel up. (the hole facing the ceiling) Gently with the thumb of your other hand, pull the skin near the puncture site to you. Insert the needle at a 1 to 5 degree angle to about 1/4 the needle length , blood enters the butterfly, stab the vacutainer, pop tourniquet, band-aid.

You'll need to double check your equipment first and read MD orders, (before you approach the patient).
A good trick for this is to visualize the veni-puncture procedure in reverse as you account for your phlebotomy supplies. For instance: start with the last thing you'll do first, like this:
1. band-aid or 2x2 gauze and paper tape
2. tourniquet
3. vacutainers
4. butterflies (the appropriate sizes, two of each)
5. Review patient info and MD orders: Right pt, Right procedure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Laura in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

87 months ago

JWB in Larose, Louisiana said: Are you serious??!!??

In case you are, I'll answer your question.
Have needle bevel up. (the hole facing the ceiling) Gently with the thumb of your other hand, pull the skin near the puncture site to you. Insert the needle at a 1 to 5 degree angle to about 1/4 the needle length , blood enters the butterfly, stab the vacutainer, pop tourniquet, band-aid.

You'll need to double check your equipment first and read MD orders, (before you approach the patient).
A good trick for this is to visualize the veni-puncture procedure in reverse as you account for your phlebotomy supplies. For instance: start with the last thing you'll do first, like this:
1. band-aid or 2x2 gauze and paper tape
2. tourniquet
3. vacutainers
4. butterflies (the appropriate sizes, two of each)
5. Review patient info and MD orders: Right pt, Right procedure.

Patient can get hematoma from attaching tube prior to getting into the vein. Also, remove the tube before the needle. Removing needle with tube attached can also cause hematoma.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

stupidis

79 months ago

lynn in Huntsville, Alabama said: starting a new job in the am and its been many years since i have drawn blood. i just dont remember. please help

I know one thing for sure. I certainly wouldn't want you to draw my blood. I realize this is a Q/A board but good golly, I would be embarrassed to death to ask this. I think I would go to the local blood bank & give & get educated at the same time.
Thank God for those that did answer.
Refresher courses???
Ya gotta be kiddin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (38) Reply - Report abuse

mayra in Bronx, New York

79 months ago

lynn in Huntsville, Alabama said: starting a new job in the am and its been many years since i have drawn blood. i just dont remember. please help

How did you tun out in your new job 9 months ago. I hope the tips were helpful.
I think that everyone starting a new job is afraid to mess up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

withak in Binghamton, New York

78 months ago

Just wanted to say that I thought that the comments were just really rude and you guys wouldn't be drawing my blood whether u knew what u were doing or not. Mostpeople get into health care for a reason(b/c they care about others) and at least she/ he asked how to draw and didn't just go and do it with her head up her ass and snotty like you guys/ girls. Either way, good for you for not thinking there is a stupid question? Cuz when it comes to healthcare there not. Good luck and hope the job worked out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MA in Snellville, Georgia

71 months ago

First of all... everyone needs a brief review(or just a boost of confidence) once in a while. Once your reminded of the procedure, it all comes back to you. Whether it's working with MS Excel or yes even drawing blood. The woman needs a job like everybody else. I think it's fine she asked. I think she would be smart enough to know if someone was lying about the procedure. Trust me ...I'm an MA and there are more physicians out there that don't know what there doing and they don't ask because people are so quick to judge!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lu in Orem, Utah

69 months ago

stupidis said: I know one thing for sure. I certainly wouldn't want you to draw my blood. I realize this is a Q/A board but good golly, I would be embarrassed to death to ask this. I think I would go to the local blood bank & give & get educated at the same time.
Thank God for those that did answer.
Refresher courses???
Ya gotta be kiddin

I am a new MA and its comments and people like this that make me nervous and self counscious to do things like draw blood. A little positive re inforcement is what we need to give each other. I would rather someone say "now remind me how to do that" then act like they know and really mess it up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

me in Las Vegas, Nevada

66 months ago

JWB in Larose, Louisiana said: Are you serious??!!??

In case you are, I'll answer your question.
Have needle bevel up. (the hole facing the ceiling) Gently with the thumb of your other hand, pull the skin near the puncture site to you. Insert the needle at a 1 to 5 degree angle to about 1/4 the needle length , blood enters the butterfly, stab the vacutainer, pop tourniquet, band-aid.

You'll need to double check your equipment first and read MD orders, (before you approach the patient).
A good trick for this is to visualize the veni-puncture procedure in reverse as you account for your phlebotomy supplies. For instance: start with the last thing you'll do first, like this:
1. band-aid or 2x2 gauze and paper tape
2. tourniquet
3. vacutainers
4. butterflies (the appropriate sizes, two of each)
5. Review patient info and MD orders: Right pt, Right procedure.

how dose drawing blood affect the patient

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

WP in Lithonia, Georgia

60 months ago

stupidis said: I know one thing for sure. I certainly wouldn't want you to draw my blood. I realize this is a Q/A board but good golly, I would be embarrassed to death to ask this. I think I would go to the local blood bank & give & get educated at the same time.
Thank God for those that did answer.
Refresher courses???
Ya gotta be kiddin

Wow! I feel the same as you! I'd be embarrassed to ask this! LOL
Heck, you can even watch videos of ANYTHING, including ANY Phlebotomy procedure on You Tube! Must've talked a good game in the interview!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

June Lawson in Springfield, Ohio

45 months ago

No one is perfect. I've been drawing blood for over
2 years and I still find myself having to use a
cheat sheet for a lot of test to know what color
Tube to use. Everyone should be there to help
Each other. We all had to learn at the beginning.
Just sayin.......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

harlem kid in Orlando, Florida

18 months ago

Be nice people. With comments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

eagertofly in Belfast, United Kingdom

18 months ago

Why are people acting the wack. At least they asked a question for a review and got an answer. I take blood I am a Vet and I have to teach Vet Tech's and other Vets all the time the basics and have learned to roll with it. I know this is about people but still blood is blood.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

pplsattitudessuck in Lavallette, New Jersey

4 months ago

mayra in Bronx, New York said: How did you tun out in your new job 9 months ago. I hope the tips were helpful.
I think that everyone starting a new job is afraid to mess up.

I'd like to say this.... Your all right and your all wrong. I partially agree with stupidest. I don't personally believe in stupid questions when other people ask them however I sometimes feel what I ask is a stupid question... and it actually turns out that it is and I get laughed at, but when dealing with peoples health and whatnot, do yourself a favor and get some professional knowledge or take a refresher class. I'm not trying to bring you down or make you lose self confidence but it's just for your own good. And last but not least...its because of A-holes like stupidest that people are afraid to talk to each other and help each other. other than that, like I said I somewhat agree with you stupid but there's no need to talk to people like that. I mean hey if thats what makes you feel good about yourself... Than by all means do you. but just keep in mind that it's people like you who ruin our society.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

AEC in Weehawken, New Jersey

1 month ago

I'm a certified phlebotomy technician thru NHA here in NJ since 2014. I'm currently working in lab and soon I'll be moving to Texas. Will my certification be any good there? I've gotten mixed information. So anyone who can clear things up will be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.