CMA vs. RDA???

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Leslie D. in Alhambra, California

75 months ago

I am considering going to school for either
MA or RDA (Registered Dental Assistant).
I guess it's really hard to find a medical assistant job???
is it hard for dental assistants, too? which profession do you feel is more respected in the medical community? MAs seem to get a lot of flack.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

CaliCNA in Alhambra, California

75 months ago

Hey! We're in the same area. I'm a nursing assistant and am considering "moving up" in the healthcare field. I'd like to eve tually go into nursing, but M thinking of going to school for MA first. I think RDAs are more respected and have a better time finding jobs, but I'm not into teeth....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gail H. in Seattle, Washington

73 months ago

Hi, I have a BA in business communications and management. When interviewing schools (so I could add medical to secure my career until I retire), I found out that a medical assistants caps and you can go no further. That's why I chose the medical office assistant program, as the opportunity to advance is open-ended. I have doctor friends and have been told that MA's have flooded the market in Seattle. They are retraining the MA's to do MOS positions as they don't have enough MOS. To start, dental assistants pay more. Good luck on which ever way you decide to go!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lorraine P. in Myrtle Creek, Oregon

73 months ago

Hello, I am currently enrolled in school in Roseburg, OR for Clinical Medical Assisting. I am happy to say that I have already had a couple of job offers for when I graduate. The program I am in incorporates the clinical and administrative office program together. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Terri S. in Albany, Oregon

61 months ago

I work in a hospital, 12 hour shifts. I want a more normal M-F 8 hour job. I'm interested in Medical Assisting. I've looked at several programs, but some cost $1,000 for 6 months while others are 14,000 for 1 year. Why such a wide spread of cost and time? What are doctors looking for? Can anyone out there help me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Layton. in Salt Lake City, Utah

60 months ago

Terri S. in Albany, Oregon said: I work in a hospital, 12 hour shifts. I want a more normal M-F 8 hour job. I'm interested in Medical Assisting. I've looked at several programs, but some cost $1,000 for 6 months while others are 14,000 for 1 year. Why such a wide spread of cost and time? What are doctors looking for? Can anyone out there help me?

Hi there, I'm really happy to hear you want to boost your medical careers...good for you. I would also like to add that yes it can cost a lot to go college to become a Medical Assistant. I look at it this way...I would want to invest alot of time and money to get a good education. In the end I will have learned a lot and like any job you apply for after you have graduated from college if you're lucky enough some get jobs right away and others it takes longer to find work. All I can say is make every cent you put in to your education count have fun with it and learn from it. It will pay off in the long run. I hope that it helped. Take care,
Matt Edler, NCMA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

korin in Beverly, New Jersey

50 months ago

I have a question. Is there a big difference between a CMA and a NCMA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.