EVERY JOB REQUIRES EXPERIENCE

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 208)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Yanna in Gresham, Oregon

54 months ago

ervinn in Pflugerville, Texas said: Hello all, I know exactly what you all are going through. I finished Medical Assisting School in Dec 2009 and went to an extern site where they did nothing but get on myspave and their cell phones all day. Plus the Dr was only in the office half day for two days out of the week. I called my school because I was no longer interested in this practice due to the point of the long drive plus no hands on. I have yet to hear from anyone at my school and when I do call I get the "We have not heard from anyone yet". What good is that.. I have been cold calling and sending resumes with cover letters. I still have not heard anything from anyone. I did however go to the hospital volunteer center and sign up. I just hope this school will use these hours so I can complete this Medical assisting program. Not happy with the school and just want to finish so I can take the National and move on with the next chapter which includes hopefully finding a job. The only thing to do is just keep our heads up and pray. If anyone can give me leads on any other extern sites or jobs, I would really appreciate it.

parent planhood is in need of a extern...good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Yanna in Gresham, Oregon

54 months ago

i just granduated and did my externship they could not hire me because there money was low..but i have lots of skills medical assistant with limited x-ray, medical front desk school at mt.hood community college, office career learning just about every program on computer now days, and dental front office and i still have no luck dont know what to do.some please help any lead or anything?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca McCoy in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

54 months ago

DivaGirl55 in Chicago, Illinois said: Hi I was just reading your post and I was thinking about going to the Illinois School of Health Careers but I don't think so now! What class did you take? I want to do the Patient Care Technician program.

Do not attend!!! Tell everyone, a Patient Care Attendant is nothing but a CNA, you are going to pay thousands of dollard to a school and in the end, you are only going to make min wage? When you look around at the school, ask them very detailed questions! Are you nationally accredited or regional accredited? They are nationally accredited which is worse than regional becuase regional accreditation means your credits will transfer! They are going to feed you some information about when you are going for training for a career, accreditation does not mean anything..Bull, you get what you pay for!
The way that ISHC gets you is by asking you questions about your life and try to use reverse psychology on you. If you have kids they are going to tell you how you need to do it for them. They are sales professionals.

If you go into the Director of Admissions Office, there will be a board there with each advisors name and the number of students that they need to enroll, I am sorry but in their eyes, you are nothing but a number, they really do not care about you personally, Try to get your Associates or BA degree that is the best bet. I understand that it may be hard because you are looking at the fact that it will take a long time but at the end it will be well worth it as oppose to you going for something quicker.

If you apply for Financial Aid at these career training programs, you will not recieve any money back from Financial Aid, If you go and recieve your Associates degree at a community college or go and recieve your BA at an University if your EFC is low, it is possible for you to get cash back while you are in school.
Do not sell yourselves short, you guys are more than a Patient Care Technician.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DivaGirl55 in Chicago, Illinois

54 months ago

Thank You I'm not going there. They keep calling me and I told her I'm not interested and hung up on her. Now I'm saving up to attend Jethro to become a Dialysis Technician. I just wish they had financial aid!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Bad Axe, Michigan

54 months ago

I have three more semesters to go before I recieve my Associates as a Medical Assistant. I live in rural community with an aging population and hospitals that are constantly expanding. In our area, you are usually hired by the hospital and then assigned to a physician who is associated with the hospital. Anyways, I got checking into my college catalog and after I recieve my Associates, I'm only two classes away from a Phlebotomy Certificate and three classes from a Certificate in Clinical Steralization (or something like that). I would suggest, if you went to a college that offers multiple certificates or degrees, see if you can't grab a couple other certificates to stick on your resume. Also, check and see what your employment history was before you went to school. I've worked since the day I graduated High School, but it was all farm work or machine shop work. Nothing on my resume that would prove that I am a people person. So, I've since managed to swing myself a workstudy job through the VA, working with people all day long.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca McCoy in Indianapolis, Indiana

54 months ago

DivaGirl55 in Chicago, Illinois said: Thank You I'm not going there. They keep calling me and I told her I'm not interested and hung up on her. Now I'm saving up to attend Jethro to become a Dialysis Technician. I just wish they had financial aid!

Good Idea, However why don't you try to attend a community college taht has Dialysis Technician. That way you can get financial aid. Think about it, No matter how much you save, something is always going to come up. My motto is to DO IT NOW.
Is Jethro accrdited? Why don't they have Finacial Aid? I don't like the sound of that. It's like looking for a job and they tell you that you have to pay for your background check. Hello! I don't have any money thats why I am looking for a job.

It's the same with schools. You are going to school to better your feature. The normal college student does not have money to go to school. That is why they try to recieve Financial Aid. Finacial aid consist of Grants and loans. If you go to a community college you can utilize more of the grants.

Don't wait until you can save money because there's always something that is going to come up, go and do it now while you have the time. You can look back on this day and say wow! I did it! I finally completed school as oppose to looking back on this day and thinking What was I thinking, waiting until the right time..There is no right time. The right time is always NOW!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Are You Serious in Denver, Colorado

54 months ago

nurse45 in San Antonio, Texas said: HOW CAN YOU GET YOUR FIRST JOB IF ALL THE JOBS IN THE MEDICAL FIELD REQUIRE EXPERIENCE, JOBS DON'T WANT NEW GRADS.

I don't work in your industry, but I say, in any industry, why do business with people, companies and organizations who have poor attitudes and no desire to train entry level people or just treat them like garbage and make them deal with games. I'm like, "This is me waving bye bye. I definitely don't need to be around people who make me feel unwelcomed, uncomfortable or deal with them taking their aggressions out on me because they have miserable lives. And I definitely don't want people here who have to be forced, coerced, asked multiple times, have gifts bought for them or be bothered to participate in my success. I function best when I'm in a helpful, supportive, pleasant work environment, free of nuissances and troublemakers."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Fadia in Longwood, Florida

54 months ago

Mr. Brownson in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: I may be crazy, but reading through these posts, I hope many of you don't talk the way you type! If this is how you type or write, this may be the reason you are not getting a job. When you submit a resume, or go to an interview, it is about how you look, how you speak, how you write, and how you present yourself that matters. You are not entitled to a job JUST because you went to school to be a Medical Assistant. I read on here a girl who said she got straight A's, but I could hardly read her post there were so many grammatical errors. You need to impress people when you meet them for a job, not just "show up," It is hard for everybody in this economy - not just MA's. I am a recruiter for Engineering - and trust me, none of you are alone, but it is the whole package, not just your education that matters.

I agree with you a 100%. Professionalism is the key!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, I was about to be discourged before reading your post.

I am going back to school for an Associate degree in Medical Assisting. I am in the process of shopping around, any advise from anyone out there?!!!
Thanks, Fadia from Longwood, Florida

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

purplereign in Phoenix, Arizona

53 months ago

Reading all these posts confirms my opinion that the education system in this country is not preparing students for landing a job. Most MA programs have you sit in a class or lab for up to 12 months then place you in a externship for 4 to 6 weeks. Schools should be doing the opposite, 4 to 6 weeks learning basic anatomy, medical terminology and patient interaction then 12 months learning on the job. This would solve the lack of experience excuses for new grads. It is time for the schools to step up and prepare these students to find employment in their field not just taking their money.
Good luck to everyone!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Duluth, Minnesota

53 months ago

Oh wow, it seems I found some of you too late. Yes, we are finding out that college is a complete and utter scam. Please come post your stories and read other horror stories at www.thegreatcollegehoax.com A lot of us have been waking up lately. It's time to spread the word on just how hard it is to get employed.

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

53 months ago

Are You Serious in Denver, Colorado said: I don't work in your industry, but I say, in any industry, why do business with people, companies and organizations who have poor attitudes and no desire to train entry level people or just treat them like garbage and make them deal with games. I'm like, "This is me waving bye bye. I definitely don't need to be around people who make me feel unwelcomed, uncomfortable or deal with them taking their aggressions out on me because they have miserable lives. And I definitely don't want people here who have to be forced, coerced, asked multiple times, have gifts bought for them or be bothered to participate in my success. I function best when I'm in a helpful, supportive pleasant work environment, free of nuissances and troublemakers."

During our lifetime, there will always be someone or something that will cause contention for us. Nothing is perfect. These challenges help us learn and grow as individuals. As a Respiratory Therapist in the Healthcare Field for nearly 13 years I enjoy the diversity I encounter every day. Each day I meet someone new and learn something interesting. I like what I do. Life is a journey. Enjoy the journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

penny in Atlanta, Georgia

53 months ago

Angelap in North Richland Hills, Texas said: I just recently graduated from Medical Assisting school in November, Im so upset because I cant find a job. Everytime I have an interview I get a letter or an email saying they hired someone with more experience. They have so many schools turning out thousands of MA's with no luck with a job. All these schools are making good money promising a bright future. They get there money and were stuck paying back money for nothing.

I really do feel u on that one. I am in the same boat. So return to school, got diploma for PCT and CNA and still no luck on any thing. Life really suck good

kaxoua vang in Fresno, California

53 months ago

nurse45 in San Antonio, Texas said: HOW CAN YOU GET YOUR FIRST JOB IF ALL THE JOBS IN THE MEDICAL FIELD REQUIRE EXPERIENCE, JOBS DON'T WANT NEW GRADS.

I graduate in 2008 as a medical assistant too but every where i went they expect me to have at least six month experience. i still don't have a job as a medical assistant. I am very upset because the school that i went to promise that i will get a better job if i finish the class. They get all the money but i stuck with bunch of student loan. I am very upset because i was hoping for a good job after finish the ma program. Sometime i wish that someone or anyone in Fresno willing to gave me a chance so that I will gain some experience and wish that someone would let me work with them so that I don't feel so much depress that I went to school for nothing.

Michelle in Hixson, Tennessee

52 months ago

I feel you all, I just recently graduated and I have been searching and sending my resume with no luck. I am on unemployment and have 2 children to care for so I really need this to happen. I just have to keep my head high and pray something comes along SOON.

littledovey in Sebastian, Florida

51 months ago

Shirt in Denver, Colorado said: Another thing you want to do is get that phlebotomy and Operator Certification.

That will put you above most new grad ma alone.763

Hello Shirt in Denver. I, too am experiencing the same problem as everyone else here on the blog. I finished my classroom studies in 11/09, which included externship of 2 months at a family practice. I rec'd my NHC certs for Phlebotomy & EKG, and also have sat for my national RMA exam. Even though I have these credentials, I have not been hired for the same reason, lack of experience. I have offered to do volunteer work with Florida's Blood Centers, Red Cross, my local hospitals and the Veteran's affairs. Haven't heard anything from these places, not even a "thank you for writing" letter. I have had 2 interviews with no success. My GPA was 3.8 with perfect attendance in school. So with that said, even having certs, it doesn't seem to matter. Considering furthering my education. Gathering facts on the RN program, as at my church, one couple's daughter went to school, worked during her schooling for RN and after graduation, went full time on the job she was part time at during school. Something to consider, as I've exhausted all other ideas for Medical Assisting.982

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

syrone nero in fort worth, Texas

49 months ago

I must agree with everyone else I graduated from platt college in 09 and they promised me a future working as a medical assistant. Now I am stuck with a student that lead the schooling now where every job I have applied for says the same thing 6 months to a 1 yr experience before they will hire and they don't tell you that while you in school I mean some get lucky and do get hired on at their extern site but what abou the rest of us who don't? I've worked for a temp agency as well and I was limited at what I could do as a rma and that only lasted for 2 months...I love working in the medical field and would love to gain the experience that I need but how? If anyone out can give me advice please free to leave some advice.

syrone nero in fort worth, Texas

49 months ago

I must agree with everyone else I graduated from platt college in 09 and they promised me a future working as a medical assistant. Now I am stuck with a student that lead the schooling now where every job I have applied for says the same thing 6 months to a 1 yr experience before they will hire and they don't tell you that while your in school I mean some get lucky and do get hired on at their extern site but what abou the rest of us who don't? I've worked for a temp agency as well and I was limited at what I could do as a rma and that only lasted for 2 months...I love working in the medical field and would love to gain the experience that I need but how? If anyone out can give me advice please free to leave some advice.

Samuel in Birmingham, Alabama

48 months ago

I'm starting to see that i have more than likely spent a lot of money on a certificate that i cant use because most jobs posted on the net want a year or more experience which is a shame to me because nursing jobs you can be hired before you graduate and with no experience. Too bad there is no way to prevent this from happening, but when hundreds of millions of dollars in student loans are involved you are bound to have people who don't have your best interest at heart. If enough people sued these schools or just started web pages or even blogs that show the truth sooner or later this type of scam would dry up and would not be a money maker anymore

LaOriental in Lexington, Massachusetts

48 months ago

You are so right Samuel, the banks are making a killing at the expense of vulnerable people I never got help with placement despite a stellar
externship. I did finally get a call for an interview at a place that sounded
really good but this was over a year after graduating. It also took them about
3-4 months to reply. In the meantime I got a job as a private CNA working for a
fantastic agency whose owner believes that caregivers are exploited and need to be paid well-the hourly rate is more than most MA's with experience receive. And there is severance pay to boot. I have always wanted to start a blog about this and other related issues. This type of abuse needs to stop.

Grammar Police in San Antonio, Texas

47 months ago

I'm in the same boat as every one else. I actually gave up on the MA search a long time ago, it is truly pointless. But for those of you complaining about the schools promising one thing and not delivering, think about that for a second. All they promise is to train you to pass the test, give you basic experience, and help you find a job when you get out.

The part everyone is upset about is the 'help you find a job' portion. Well, they can give you leads but they can't interview for you or guarantee you a job; they never guaranteed you a job. They do an excellent job of misleading the available job opportunities and stealing your money without full disclosure, but they don't promise you a job.

My suggestion to many of you would be to ask yourselves why a company would WANT to hire anyone who is going to require extra training, extra supervision to start, and possibly cause direct monetary losses due to mistakes they will make. Now ask yourself why ANYONE would want to hire someone who is incapable of even effectively communicating using elementary level grammatical skills.

Here is another suggestion, drop another $900 bucks and take an EMT-B course et voila your job openings become real possibilities. New ambulance companies are popping up every day and there are always opportunities even for a Basic.

JOBSEEKER2 in San Diego, California

46 months ago

A JOB IS NEVER A GUARANTEE WITH OR WITHOUT TRAINING DO NOT EXPECT THAT A JOB IS ALREADY BEEN LINED UP FOR YOU ONCE YOU GRADUATE. IM A CERTIFIED NURSE WENT OUT AND GOT MY DEGREE IN NURSING STILL HAD A DIFFICULT TIME FINDING THE RIGHT HOSPITAL TO HIRE ME...BUT IN THE END WITH ALL THE SACRIFICE AND DEDICATION I FINALLY LANDED A JOB AS A FULL TIME RN WITH NO EXPERIENCE. BECAUSE I DIDNT SIT IN A COMPUTER ALL DAY GRIPING ON HOW I SHOULVE GOT A JOB OFF THE BAT AFTER SCHOOL...THIS IS REALITY IN LIFE NOTHING IS A GUARANTEE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Have the job in Hobart, Indiana

45 months ago

It is so sad to see so many of you unable to find a job. I was very fortunate right out of school, and was offered a position that I was able to gain experience at. I was in CA at the time, and have since found jobs in WI, where I lived for 3 years, and then IN where I currently reside. You all have to be patient and KEEP TRYING. I'm now a MA supervisor, and what I look for in new hires (yes, right out of school) is knowledge in abbreviations, some pharmacology, spelling/spelling/spelling, how a person handles conflict, and if they seem to be go-getters. Most supervisors know that right out of school a person won't know everything, but professionalism and a good attitude to learn with helps. Don't waste your money people, stick it out. Quitting is a bad way to start.

drf in Cincinnati, Ohio

44 months ago

Mr. Brownson in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: I may be crazy, but reading through these posts, I hope many of you don't talk the way you type! If this is how you type or write, this may be the reason you are not getting a job. When you submit a resume, or go to an interview, it is about how you look, how you speak, how you write, and how you present yourself that matters. You are not entitled to a job JUST because you went to school to be a Medical Assistant. I read on here a girl who said she got straight A's, but I could hardly read her post there were so many grammatical errors. You need to impress people when you meet them for a job, not just "show up," It is hard for everybody in this economy - not just MA's. I am a recruiter for Engineering - and trust me, none of you are alone, but it is the whole package, not just your education that matters.

Did you read everyone's post?? They can't even get a interview!!! If you got to school for medical assistant you should be entitled to a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

anet in Boca Raton, Florida

43 months ago

Hi, I just recently finished my course medical terminology and now Im on my second which is medical coding & billing. Now, Im trying to apply at the hospital but they want with experience, how can I have experience if they will not hire me. My husband wanted me to get a job because we have everyday need. Im just new here in florida I thought it must be easier here to find a job. It must be who you know not what you know. I hope theres someone who can help me out there. My email netthgarcia@yahoo.com. thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle B. in Capitol Heights, Maryland

43 months ago

I am a recent graduate of a MA program. I have been lookn since I started my externship in November. I still haven't had the chance of even a interview. I constantly recieve a emails informing me that I do not have enough experience. I feel what was my point of getting excellent grades and applying myself even further to not still have a job. I have a 2 year old son that need things and grow everyday. I am fustrated because I do not know how exactly im going to give a better life to him. I just need a chance to show a physician I can apply the samed drive as someone with experience.

Vanessa-Mom seeking work. CMA in Charlotte, North Carolina

43 months ago

I have had the same problem with finding a Job. as a Medical Assistant. I am currently taking a CNA class then the CNA 2 to try to find work. I have 3 months experience and can not find work. I have my CMA and RMA and Associated in Sciences. I have been volunteering in the Local Hospital in the ED for a year and still they tell me I have no experience. I HAVE MORE EXPERIENCE IN the ER than any other person. I am willing to work Free as a Medical Assistant to find work.

Rae in Santa Rosa, California

42 months ago

I know it's hard finding work, just try to lower your expectations. Work as a reception in a medical office, or maybe in a detox center. At least you'll be able to say you've worked in a medical office on your resume (on top of a degree). Other than that you could apply for internships and work a swing job, or if all else fails you can spruce your resume with a tiny lie just to get your foot in the door. I know it's not the most ethical thing to do but if you can't support yourself you have to do whatever it takes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

emerald princess in Chicago, Illinois

42 months ago

rachael Nelson in Dallas, Texas said: I agree 100%.

I totally agree. I graduated in November 2010. Here it is March 2011. No job! I graduated with a 3.82. They ensure you will have a job in the medical field. Looks like I will be paying 15,000 dollars back. They don't want grads. I could have spend the money in a nursing program. I am praying for the best for all MAs. All of us worked hard.

shanelle_ma in Dallas, Texas

42 months ago

Crystal Lewis in Dallas, Texas said: We are needing a medical assistant. You dont need to have experience just someone mature and eager to learn. We are a brand new office and need help immediately. If you are interested, please email me at crystaldanielle.lewis@yahoo.com. Include your resume and a phone number. Thank you!

Do you have any positions available at the moment I'm eager and I have experience,i love medical assisting..its so hard to get a job out here.

Matt, NCMA in Salt Lake City, Utah

42 months ago

shanelle_ma in Dallas, Texas said: Do you have any positions available at the moment I'm eager and I have experience,i love medical assisting..its so hard to get a job out here.

Hello Shanelle, I would go to the office itself and also google the name of the Medical Office that put that posting on this forum. There are people out there pretend to be office managers, and or a Doctor when they are neither. I would just be careful if I were you. Have a great day.

Shawna Turner in Apple Valley, California

42 months ago

I am planning a move from california to san antonio texas does anybody know if you are already certified in medical assisting in my current state will my certification follow me from california to texas or will i have to start all over again at the bottom once i make the move to texas ??????????

Stefanie in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

42 months ago

Hi, my name is Stef. Im from central Pa, and im in school for medical assisting. I have a medical coding class and for my project i have to interview a medical coder. I can do the interview by email, and its just a few simple questions about the job, how long you have been in the field and so on.. Ive already tried doctor offices in the area (even my own drs office), and no one seems to have the time. If any one would be interested in helping i would definitly appriciate it :) you can contact me at stefanie17851@gmail.com and i can email you the questions.. Thanks.... Stef

socialwkr in Missouri

42 months ago

emerald princess in Chicago, Illinois said: I totally agree. I graduated in November 2010. Here it is March 2011. No job! I graduated with a 3.82. They ensure you will have a job in the medical field. Looks like I will be paying 15,000 dollars back. They don't want grads. I could have spend the money in a nursing program. I am praying for the best for all MAs. All of us worked hard.

Sorry to hear about your experiences. I think these MA programs need to be more forth coming in what they are telling applicants about what areas they can truly work in. Case in point, here in Missouri even though a MA may have been to school longer than some of the vocational LPN programs and certaintly more education than a Certified Medication Technician, a MA cannot pass medications or do anything clinical in a long-term care setting (ex. nursing homes, residential care facilities). I remember having a telephone conversation with a MA who was very upset and feeling misled by her school. She basically said, she might as well have spent less money and less time in school to become a LPN if she knew her employment options would be that limited.

Jackyma in Modesto, California

41 months ago

I have had the same problem as everyone!! I graduated from school in august of 2010, and i still dont have a job!! Luckfully i only paid 1500 for my school bt still we go to school to get a better future and to expect a career job but how is that suppose to happen when no one will hire you because we dnt have esperience. Its either get hired on at your extern or you have to know someone in the healthcare field. Its just dissapointing and depressing to go to school, never missing a day of school and getting all A's but yet no job. What are we to do?

TC in Toney, Alabama

40 months ago

Crystal Lewis in Dallas, Texas said: We are needing a medical assistant. You dont need to have experience just someone mature and eager to learn. We are a brand new office and need help immediately. If you are interested, please email me at crystaldanielle.lewis@yahoo.com. Include your resume and a phone number. Thank you![/QUh

HELLO, my name is Teresa Hudson. & I am so very eagar & want to be a Medical Assistant. I was thinking about applying for the program this fall if only I new I had a chance to becoming a Medical Assistant. I am refering to all the negative statements I have heard . I have heard about 90% of people gradating who graduate are not being able to find a job. I dream about being a Medical Assistant. I have an opportunity to get a bachelor's degree in Health Science, but I need a degree or be cert. ... in the medical field as well. Are you located in the state of Alabama, Huntsville? If this is real ,are in the Huntsville area , please email me back so we can futher discuss this. Thank you .

Sincerely,
Teresa Hudson

N in Glen Ellyn, Illinois

40 months ago

You right today I spoke with medical manager in the office he said to me he is looking someone who has experince. I told him how I can get a job in nobody wants to give me a chance. He even did not want to listen me.

CMA(AAMA) in Hanceville, Alabama

40 months ago

Jazmine in Chicago, Illinois said: This question is for Gregory and Ms. Conner in Chicago. I'm just wondering what schools did you attend? Were you taught more on the clinical or administrative side? I have been out of work for a while now and was thinking about maybe taking this program - I'm not sure though because I already have to pay back loans as it is. I'm just wondering what are the employers actually looking for? Any info you can provide would be helpful. Thanks.

The AAMA is a great resource for those with questions about the medical assisting field. If an educational program is accredited by CAAHEP or ABHES, the graduates will be allowed to sit for the CMA(AAMA) examination. The physicians in our area of the country want individuals who are credentialed and formally trained. I suggest checking with the AAMA to see if a college is accredited by CAAHEP or ABHES, prior to enrolling. Many comments say the student spent "thousands" of dollars and cannot find a job. Most colleges are reasonable with the educational costs, and the student will graduate with an associate degree or a certificate of completion. A private institution that offers guarantees of success with a 3 month training period may not include everything needed for an individual to succeed in being hired.

CMA(AAMA) in Hanceville, Alabama

40 months ago

Shawna Turner in Apple Valley, California said: I am planning a move from california to san antonio texas does anybody know if you are already certified in medical assisting in my current state will my certification follow me from california to texas or will i have to start all over again at the bottom once i make the move to texas ??????????

If you have the CMA(AAMA) credential, it is good in every state.

Orkydd87 in North Hollywood, California

39 months ago

This is absolutely ridiculous! I recently graduated from a HORRIBLE school who basically lied right to my face to get me to sign up and now I'm stuck with these loans and no way to pay them back. I already had to get onto a Forbearance program because one of my loans already came due. It's a catch 22. You can't get a job unless you have experience but you can't gain experience if you don't find a job. It's a bunch of BS if you ask me. I wish I had looked into M. Assisting more before I signed up for the program. Just in a 6 month period at only my campus there were 127 M. Assistant graduates. How crazy is that? Not to mention the Career Rep at my "school" is an idiot. They called and cursed me out thinking I was someone else and when I called them on it they never apologized and to this day STILL uses improper English and words like "irregardless". GAH! McDonald's here I come...

N in Wood Dale, Illinois

39 months ago

Absolutely the same thing with me. They promise they will helt but not at all you gradute you pass MA exam. And after that they dont care about you at all. And even they said I am not student anymore I can not come to school. Nobody will help me. Also, healthcare coordinator at school said dont ask her about a placement. So what to do???

gabster in Montclair, California

38 months ago

Well I got my Certificate on may and guess what, no jobs, in RANCHO CUCAMONGA CALIFORNIA, than I thought that I better do something else, and I am taking a phlebotomy 80 hour course. and well lets see what happens, but in here is really hard to find a job. people is weird, how can you get a job with experience if no one wants to hire you, some people they go volunteer for free, what ever my time costs money. I will never do that.

38 months ago

well at least I only paid. twelve hundred dollars, in the ROP.

Honest perspective in Decatur, Alabama

38 months ago

Everyone without a job.

I realize this may sound harsh, but if your resume is written the same way as your post was, that could be why you do not have a job.

Before you get angry, listen to what I am saying.

If you want others to view you as professional, then you have to exhibit professional behaviors.

Spend money on professional stationary and make sure you use complete sentences in your resume and cover letter as well as emphasizing your skills. It is true that many employers are looking for individuals with prior work experience but if you show up in a "suit", look the part, and have a dynamic resume, they won't send you away. You have to market yourself, and our profession. This is free advice. It's the same advice my program director gave me and I have never been unemployed since I graduated from the Associate Degree program I graduated from.

Also, don't put personal email addresses on the resume if you use the same email for a social network such as facebook. Employers are screening applicants this way and if they see anything they can associate with "negative" or potential "no show" for work, you are out of luck. In other words, don't post photos of your private life on the internet. While many people post photos of their children, potential employers think "ok, they have kids, when the kids are sick, they are not going to be at work.

My hope is that you will all get great jobs and be appreciated for all your strengths and be an asset to the profession of medical assisting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

funketemi in Canyon Country, California

38 months ago

IT'S JUST SO FRUSTRATING HAVING FINISHED MEDICAL ASSISTING PROGRAM SINCE SEPT. 2010 AND NOT GETTING A JOB. ALL JOBS REQUIRE EXPERIENCE CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO HAVE EXPERIENCE IF YOU NEVER GET A CHANCE TO WORK. IS THERE SOMEONE THAT WAS BORN WITH EXPERIENCE. I AM A MOTHER OF 3 I DID MA TO BE ABLE TO SUPPORT MY HUSBAND WHO IS A REALTOR AND NOT REALLY MAKING A LOT TO CATER FOR FIVE. I HAD 10000 DOLLARS OF STUDENT LOAN ON MY HEAD, HOW DO I PAY THIS LOAN, HOW DO I GET A LIFE,HOW DO I CARE FOR MY CHILDREN,WITH ALL MY GOOD ATTENDANCE, 4.0 GPA, NOTHING IS PAYING AFTERALL. IF ANYONE IS READING THIS AND REALLY LOVE TO GET ME OUT OF THIS PREDICAMENT CAN YOU PLEASE E-MAIL ME AND SAVE SOME PRECIOUS LIVES (funketemi@yahoo.com)

Latasha in Charlotte, North Carolina

37 months ago

Orkydd87 in North Hollywood, California said: This is absolutely ridiculous! I recently graduated from a HORRIBLE school who basically lied right to my face to get me to sign up and now I'm stuck with these loans and no way to pay them back. I already had to get onto a Forbearance program because one of my loans already came due. It's a catch 22. You can't get a job unless you have experience but you can't gain experience if you don't find a job. It's a bunch of BS if you ask me. I wish I had looked into M. Assisting more before I signed up for the program. Just in a 6 month period at only my campus there were 127 M. Assistant graduates. How crazy is that? Not to mention the Career Rep at my "school" is an idiot. They called and cursed me out thinking I was someone else and when I called them on it they never apologized and to this day STILL uses improper English and words like "irregardless". GAH! McDonald's here I come...

Hi, my name is Latasha and I live in Charlotte, NC and I thought me and my friends (classmates) were the only ones going through B's like you are from your school.

37 months ago

Well Its hard with this economy, but we have to be positive and never give up, If a human can do it we can do it, and we have to find a medical assistant job. and thank for your advice about our badf speling, its good for me to know. I think I am going back to school because my spelling is horrible.

N in Bartlett, Illinois

37 months ago

Also some places want to be certified as AAMA or AMT. But my school where I went provided NHA examination. And I am certified throught NHA. And of course everybody want 2 or 3 years experince. School does not help a lot they dont care about you after you graduate. They told if I am not a student I can not be there anymore. Its so stupid.

Lauren in Fallbrook, California

37 months ago

Hi all:
I have sent out close to 100 resumes and finally got an interview on Monday for a full time front office position. Anyone have advice on what they will ask in the interview? I already had a phone interview yesterday, and they asked behavior and situation based questions. I have 5 years of experience as an executive assistant and office manager, although I was let go in 2010 and have been doing temp work since then. I finished my coursework this past spring. Also, they said they encourage more education. Should I mention I would like to go back and gain more clinical skills, ie. LVN, phlebotomy? Thanks so much.

37 months ago

Well all of us, at least have something to focus on, the medical career, and we did school because we like this field, so lets not give up and keep going, some of you are older or younger than others but one thing is true age matters. they will hire a twenty five year old, faster than a forty. of course so good luck every body, and I hope I hear good news from you guys soon.

Latasha in Charlotte, North Carolina

37 months ago

Yeah, I understand where your coming from but it's frustrating to me because I made the Dean's list and passed my EKG and Phlebotomy exam and still nothing.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.