If someone said they wanted to become a Medical Assistant......

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

LC in Cleveland, Ohio

41 months ago

Guide

...what would you say to them? Would it depend on their age, ability, income, area where they live? Or would you try very hard no matter what to talk them out of it because you thought you were doing them a favor? Would you do the same with someone you don't know, and have you(like on a message board)?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Tampa, Florida

41 months ago

The very first thing that I would tell them is that finding a job is going to be very dificult, if not impossible. I've been out of school now for 5 months, every where I go, every ad I read, the applicant MUST have experience. And that's understandable. I wouldn't hire someone without experience if I had a business. The Drs. office isn't goibg to risk the chance of a lawsuit, or spending time training someone. And if I DO get an interview, I'm sure that there are going to be MANY applicants there that are younger (I'm 55), or have experience, or know how to BS their way in, etc. etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

MikeUSAF in Chatsworth, California

14 months ago

Paul in Tampa, Florida said: The very first thing that I would tell them is that finding a job is going to be very dificult, if not impossible. I've been out of school now for 5 months, every where I go, every ad I read, the applicant MUST have experience. And that's understandable. I wouldn't hire someone without experience if I had a business . The Drs. office isn't goibg to risk the chance of a lawsuit, or spending time training someone. And if I DO get an interview, I'm sure that there are going to be MANY applicants there that are younger (I'm 55), or have experience, or know how to BS their way in, etc. etc.

I live just north of Los Angeles. I graduated from an adult school, 10 weeks front office and 10 weeks back office with phlebotomy medical assistant program the end of February of this year and completed my 2 week phlebotomy and 160 hours externship. I am a 53 year old white male and everywhere I look (craigslist, indeed, simplyhire) they all want at least 1 year experience and also here in Southern California alot of them want bilingual Spanish.

At least I am on unemployment, so I have a income be it small. These school do not tell you it will be difficult to find a MA job if you do not have 1 year experience. But this is also the case for new grads in x-ray, nursing, medical assistant, ultrasound technician, and others in the medical field.

Even if you take a Spanish for health care providers that does not make you bilingual.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

LC in Cleveland, Ohio

14 months ago

Guide

I once posted an ad on a MA forum that showed all the available openings at a local hospital and only ONE of them required experience, and you can guess what it was. I think what happened, and continues to, is that there is an overload of Medical Assistant graduates, all vying for the same jobs, many from schools and programs with horrible reputations. They make it too easy to get into these programs, make them too short, and then when you graduate, they make it clear THEN that you are on your own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.