MEDICAL ASSISTANT VS LPN

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 1357)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

trudy in Savannah, Georgia

67 months ago

DAVE SAWYER in Aston, Pennsylvania said: My wife Janet is applying for admission to The Chubb Institute in Springfield, PA. Would this be a good school for her to take the Medical Assistant course which runs 26 weeks? Also, is Chubb's properly accredited? Janet was going to take the Red Cross course for CNA(Certified Nursing Assistant). Does anyone have any feedback on this course as well. This course with the Red Cross runs only 4 weeks, 8 hours a day, five times a week

cna is a lot of hard work for less pay she might want to reconsider that. The medical assistant will be far better than the cna.Plus cna work is very hard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SuperGeek, CNA in Eugene, Oregon

67 months ago

Melissa Moss in Madison, Wisconsin said: I am a medical assistant in a clinic. I love it except I do the same as a LPN but my pay can only go up to about 14-15/hour. I can go up to $17 as a LPN and it seems that the schooling would be less intense than the Medical Assistant schooling. I am thinking about going into Nursing because I don't know how else I can go in in the pay range.

You think nursing school (LPN) would be LESS intense than MA school.....?? Interesting perspective.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Mansfield, Texas

67 months ago

Ok here is my take on this... Sorry it's long...

I would encourage anyone to choose LPN over MA if they can afford the time and money to attend nursing school. The school I went to also offered a MA program which is what they pushed potential candidates into if they did not do as well on their entrance exam. My school was intense, 8+ hours a day in class or clinicals 5 days a week for 12 months. The MA program was 4 hours a day for 9 months. The coursework and education between LPN and MA is completely different. LPN students are taught the nursing process, critical thinking, and more in depth disease processes, A&P, pharmacology.

It is completely false that MAs do everything LPNs do. It may appear that roles are similar in the clinical setting, but MAs cannot function as an LPN in any other setting like hospital, nursing home, skilled nursing, hospice, home health, etc. MAs do not possess licenses, nurses do. MAs practice under a physician license. MAs may be hired more often in clinics or offices because they are much cheaper for the physician.

The rumor of "phasing out LPNs" has been around since the 1980's. In reality in would not be possible to phase out LPNs. There would never be enough RNs willing to fill LPN positions in long term care or homehealth. Considering our baby boomer generation is aging and hospital stays are becoming shorter, there is ALOT of work available for LPNs. The mobility for LPNs to become RNs is usually just a few more quarters of schooling and LPNs are usually preferred in acceptance to the RN program. An RN or LPN program will not give any credit for being an MA, nor can one "challenge the boards". In my area MAs start at about $10-12/hr, LVNs at $18-20. I have less than 3 years experience and make over $50,000/year now. I have worked in nursing homes, rehab, hospitals, and hospice. I am definitely not limited working in one setting. However do your own homework before making your decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

A.Ross in Bartow, Florida

67 months ago

Well let me start by saying my I did my homework from my experience and not going on anyone eles, and true some MA dont have a credintials and yes some of us are certified. And yes we do all the things that LPN's do here and a little bit more.Recently me in a few LPN's took the placement test to become an RN and to my amazement I felt being an MA I would have to start futher back then them but however I passed my testing going straight to my prerequisites with out doing the other classes, so know that all MA are not what you think and know that we school and work just as hard as an LPN if not more. Im not knocking what you do but I dont like for someone to knock MA's either cause we are not just a side kick for a doctor ,yes we do go to school more that 4hrs. a day, and yes some of us MA make more than 10-12 dollars an hour me being one of them MA"S that do and you know what? Ive been doing this for 2 years.And on my way to becomeing an RN. So to al the MA's that have others putting you down for being an MA know this..." It's not always the position that you hold that make you a better person and reflect on your advancemaent but you attitudes" An I am living proof that MA's are here, were strong, smart, and will not be going anywhere but up. Now LPN's dont think that we want your jobs cause there is enough work for everybody we just want to work without being dogged buy other lables because we are MA's cause know that was a choice that we made to become one just like it's my choice to skip over LPN and go for the RN. It's all in choices that everyone makes and if they are happy so be it, noone can live for you are make you happy but you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Mansfield, Texas

67 months ago

A.Ross in Bartow, Florida said: Well let me start by saying my I did my homework from my experience and not going on anyone eles, and true some MA dont have a credintials and yes some of us are certified. And yes we do all the things that LPN's do here and a little bit more.

I don't recall "putting down" MAs?? I said education between LPN and MA is completely different, which is true. MAs do not receive a nursing education. No nursing process, med-surg, or nursing pharmacology is taught. MAs do not spend hundreds of clinical hours in school at a hospital under direction of an RN. To say the education is different is NOT a put down, it's a fact. You just cannot compare the two. Like I said in a clinic/office setting LPNs and MAs function similar. Outside of that setting, an MA can really only function as a CNA or tech. Whereas an LPN is a nurse and would work as a staff nurse or charge nurse. The reason is because of the license. MAs work under the physician license so it does limit the employment availabilitiy.

I'd also like to point out that nearly every MA's defense is that "we do all the things an LPN does". Working as a nurse is more than just skills you do, it's also your knowledge. MAs cannot assess patients, utilize nursing judgement, or take part in nursing care plans. Every LPN job I've held requires a nursing license, so no MA could replace me. I'm not saying one is better than the other because they are two different things. However I would encourage someone to go for LPN over MA just because of overall job satisfaction from what I have seen. You will have more opportunities, greater pay, and much easier advancement if you wish to pursue more education such as RN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

a CNA in... in Los Angeles, California

67 months ago

Janet NY in Brooklyn, New York said: To everybody that love nursing and want to go into LPN or RN-first the first step is to take classes Health Sciense classes guet your associate first and thaen take your lpn exam,also you can transfer your associate to BSNursing and you know how by aplyn with South University on line.they will coath you into the rigth track dont be full by other school that tell you that you need to have a nursing classes first to become a nurse here I aam given you a help contac the South University at (1-xxx-xxx-xxxx) the extension number is xxxx and ask for Jennifer Holzman she will help you like she did to me,and her direct number is (xxx-xxx-xxxx) this a good University they will treat you with respect lpn won never will be phase out that what alot school lie to the students,we always going to need the lpn and Rn.dont waist your time bugyn looking around here is the rigth answer trust me I was wrong before but now I am helping the one is need it.stop looking here is your future dont let nobody scam you.and then when you finish try to learn

phlebotomy in your own there hospital that you can become a volonter where there are willing to teach you.God Blees you All.good luck to youll.

What???

To be any kind of nurse, an LPN or RN, you need to attend NURSING SCHOOL. You can just take classes in "Health Science," earn an Associates degree, and be eligible to take the boards. In SOME states (California), you can challenge the LVN boards if you have a certain amount of direct patient clinical experience and take an approved pharmacology course, but you will not be able to transfer you liscence to any other state. Also, it generally does not bode well with employers to see that someone has obtained their nursing liscence by challenging the NCLEX.

I would suggest to anyone that truly wants to be a nurse to enroll in nursing school, put in the time and effort, and EARN the liscence.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

a CNA in... in Los Angeles, California

67 months ago

a CNA in... in Los Angeles, California said: What???

To be any kind of nurse, an LPN or RN, you need to attend NURSING SCHOOL. You can just take classes in "Health Science," earn an Associates degree, and be eligible to take the boards. In SOME states (California), you can challenge the LVN boards if you have a certain amount of direct patient clinical experience and take an approved pharmacology course, but you will not be able to transfer you liscence to any other state. Also, it generally does not bode well with employers to see that someone has obtained their nursing liscence by challenging the NCLEX.

I would suggest to anyone that truly wants to be a nurse to enroll in nursing school, put in the time and effort,
and EARN the liscence.

I meant to say you CAN'T take "Health Science" classes, earn an Associates degree, and sit for state boards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Benjala Phillips in Kansas City, Missouri

67 months ago

DNichols in Kansas City, Missouri said: I'm the Placement Director for a private career college in Missouri that offers MAA training. If you're looking for a school that offers MAA training, look at who their accrediting body is. Ours is ACICS and I can tell you that it's extensive! Our retention rates are REQUIRED to be no less than 60% and our placement rates are REQUIRED to be no less than 65%. (My placement rate, by the way, is 80%.) Publicly funded istitutions in MO aren't required to publish their placement rates. I have to track my graduates for 2 YEARS after graduation. Therefore, it's in my best interest (to retain my job) to make sure that every graduate willing to work is working.

As far as those of you who are seeking employment but having a hard time finding it, check your resume FIRST. An unprofessional resume or an ugly resume or a resume with typos will find it's way into the trash very fast. Next, make sure you're completing the applications COMPLETELY with 0 errors. This is a HUGE complaint of the employers I work with. Last, are you interviewing well? Find as many interview questions as you can, come up with complete professional (and honest) answers and practice them. You can be an excellent candidate on paper but if you botch the interview, you're toast.

FYI - our campus reuqires every student to go through a Career Management class where we make sure the student has a professional resume with 0 errors, learn how to complete an application correctly, go through interview questions thoroughly AND I require my medical students to sit through 2 mock interviews with real healthcare recruiters.

What school are you teaching @?

Amber in Waverly, Ohio

67 months ago

I honestly need to know which is better! i cant start an LPN class in oct. and only pay 10,000.00 dollars for 1 yr or take a MA and get my associate degree and spend 32,000.00 dollars, 2 yrs. i really need help. This is alot of money, so i am willing to listen to anyone. But i amm leaning towards the LPN class

PLEASE HELP ME!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Benjala Phillips in Kansas City, Missouri

67 months ago

Amber in Waverly, Ohio said: I honestly need to know which is better! i cant start an LPN class in oct. and only pay 10,000.00 dollars for 1 yr or take a MA and get my associate degree and spend 32,000.00 dollars, 2 yrs. i really need help. This is alot of money, so i am willing to listen to anyone. But i amm leaning towards the LPN class

PLEASE HELP ME!!

lpn school

shina in Hollywood, Florida

67 months ago

Do the LPN course

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Mansfield, Texas

67 months ago

Amber in Waverly, Ohio said: I honestly need to know which is better! i cant start an LPN class in oct. and only pay 10,000.00 dollars for 1 yr or take a MA and get my associate degree and spend 32,000.00 dollars, 2 yrs. i really need help. This is alot of money, so i am willing to listen to anyone. But i amm leaning towards the LPN class

PLEASE HELP ME!!

Well what are your goals? I would encourage going for the LPN. MA is not a nurse in any way. LPNs are nurses and have different training and education, have licenses, more job opportunities and advancement, usually much higher salary, and easier educational advancement. MA is not entry level into nursing, so if you eventually want to be an RN, consider CNA or LPN. However some people are very happy being MAs. You need to research your area and find out salaries, job demand and availability of each. Whatever you do, do NOT spend 32k on getting a degree in medical assisting!!!! That school should be shut down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Amber in Waverly, Ohio

67 months ago

well i do want to become an Rn sometime but i know that lpns can always advance more, but the teacher from that school told me that an MA is higher up than an Lpn and i didnt think that was true she told me, that LPNs are fading out..... I tried to talk to my friend and talk her out of it bc after our pell grant covers some we will still have to pay 21k, now i know i will have an associate degree but i really dont think it is worth it. but i decided to go with LPN i feel like i can pursue better with that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

michelle in Cleveland, Ohio

67 months ago

Angela in Strongsville, Ohio said: I am just now at 34 looking at an MA cert at sanford-brown... i come a finance backround and most recently from a staffing firm. Well the economy is not offering me anything and im feeling confused about doing this with the negativity i am reading about lack of work and paywork. im an unemployed single mom in dead end jobs. am i making the right decision to start MA? can i move up or forward to something different from there? will i be stuck with no direction if i do the MA program? PLEASE IM SO LOST :(

i just got my ma certificate, so i'm no expert, but i think lpn make more than ma. the difference is lpn is in the hospital, ma is in the doctors' office or clinic. whatever you do...
SANFORD BROWN IS A RIPOFF!! THEY ARE FOR PROFIT.
GO TO YOUR Community COLLEGE & TALK TO FINANCIAL AID!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

michelle in Cleveland, Ohio

67 months ago

mirella in Kissimmee, Florida said: I RECENTLY GRADUATED AS A MEDICAL ASSISTANT, AND I WOULD LIKE TO BECOME CERTIFIDE BY TAKING THE EXAM ONLINE BUT I CAN'T FIND A WEB SITE PROVIDING THE EXAM CAN YOU HELP?

SINCERELY FRUSTRATED

I DON'T THINK THEY DO IT ONLINE - www.prometric.com

Amber in Waverly, Ohio

67 months ago

michelle in Cleveland, Ohio said: i just got my ma certificate, so i'm no expert, but i think lpn make more than ma. the difference is lpn is in the hospital, ma is in the doctors' office or clinic. whatever you do...

I wont, Daymar college is a ripoff too, how much did u pay for your ma class if u dont mind me asking they want 32k but i only have 2 pay 21k which still is crazy! but im goin to go with lpn

Kat in Mansfield, Texas

67 months ago

Amber in Waverly, Ohio said: well i do want to become an Rn sometime but i know that lpns can always advance more, but the teacher from that school told me that an MA is higher up than an Lpn and i didnt think that was true she told me, that LPNs are fading out..... I tried to talk to my friend and talk her out of it bc after our pell grant covers some we will still have to pay 21k, now i know i will have an associate degree but i really dont think it is worth it. but i decided to go with LPN i feel like i can pursue better with that.

If you want to be an RN in the future the fastest way to enter nursing is to become an LPN. Don't bother becoming a MA. Those "for profit" schools will lie to you and tell you anything to get your money. LPNs are in demand just about every where, and it is a myth that has been around over 20 years that they are being phased out. I've worked in nursing homes, hospitals, and been offered jobs in a clinic, and now I work in private duty hospice and make over about $50,000/yr with less than 3 years experience. In my area MAs would be lucky to make over $30,000/yr. I am working towards my RN and once I get accepted I can bridge over in less than 1 year because I am already an LVN/LPN. Like I said though, do the research for YOU area to make your decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

that's not true at all. go what's in your heart. I'm a MA, I gruduated from ATI and I still don't have a job yet, it been two years sofar and still nothing. Do the lpn or RN you can get far in either or.

Amber in Waverly, Ohio

67 months ago

shina in Hollywood, Florida said: that's not true at all. go what's in your heart. I'm a MA, I gruduated from ATI and I still don't have a job yet, it been two years sofar and still nothing. Do the lpn or RN you can get far in either or.

whats not true at all

balletlover70 in Vancouver, Washington

66 months ago

Elena Salazar in Fairfield, California said: There is a demand for Medical Assistants in many states. It's even better for you if you take the state exam as well. As far as MA vs. LPN- LPN's are nurses and do a whole lot more than an MA. Medical Assistants are wanted to greet and room patients, take vital signs, prepare the pt. for exams, and also to assist the physician with certain procedures. Licensed Practical Nurses are just that (licensed), and are legally able to do more hands on work with patients.

You do NOT take a state exam as a Medical Assitant, you get certified through the AAMA!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Medical Assistant are NOT licensed by the state in ANY state. They're certified only. Only nursing is licensed! Also if you do go for the MA, go to a community college, not a private school. It's way better, longer but more thorough!! And you won't come out owing on as many student loans, maybe $3,00 for living expenses versus $15,000 for a "vocational school". Like everyone else said, it's very important to research. Always later you can go and become a nurse, but if you go to a 9 month school like private, you won't be able to transfer any of your credits to a community college or four year to pursue any type of nursing. Lots of food for thougt hopefully.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sherrie in Saint Louis, Missouri

66 months ago

michelle in Cleveland, Ohio said: i just got my ma certificate, so i'm no expert, but i think lpn make more than ma. the difference is lpn is in the hospital, ma is in the doctors' office or clinic. whatever you do...

I went to Sanford Brown for a while and then tried to transfer to the community college in my town. To get to the point there isn't a good college in the state of MO that will accept their credits. I find this out only after I spent $17,000. I have to start over. A member of human resource from one of the colleges told me I should get the St. Louis news paper and see who would hire me with my degree. So I did I was in school for accounting business management after graduating I could have been a BANK TELLER. I tried every Legal direction possible. I still had to pay the $17,000 that was just for 3 months of nothing.

HOLLY in Fort Walton Beach, Florida

66 months ago

Kat in Mansfield, Texas said: I don't recall "putting down" MAs?? I said education between LPN and MA is completely different, which is true. MAs do not receive a nursing education. No nursing process, med-surg, or nursing pharmacology is taught. MAs do not spend hundreds of clinical hours in school at a hospital under direction of an RN. To say the education is different is NOT a put down, it's a fact. You just cannot compare the two. Like I said in a clinic/office setting LPNs and MAs function similar. Outside of that setting, an MA can really only function as a CNA or tech. Whereas an LPN is a nurse and would work as a staff nurse or charge nurse. The reason is because of the license. MAs work under the physician license so it does limit the employment availabilitiy.

I'd also like to point out that nearly every MA's defense is that "we do all the things an LPN does". Working as a nurse is more than just skills you do, it's also your knowledge. MAs cannot assess patients, utilize nursing judgement, or take part in nursing care plans. Every LPN job I've held requires a nursing license, so no MA could replace me. I'm not saying one is better than the other because they are two different things. However I would encourage someone to go for LPN over MA just because of overall job satisfaction from what I have seen. You will have more opportunities, greater pay, and much easier advancement if you wish to pursue more education such as RN.

I am a medical assistant with an associates degree and I had to complete Pharmacology, Med/Surg, Pathophysiology, my internship was 125 hours and I assisted the Dr in a c-section.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Missy in Austin, Texas

66 months ago

I was wondering if anybody could tell me the difference in a Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) and Certified Medical Assistant(CMA)? There is probably not a difference, but I am looking into a school that offers the CCMA certification that is accrediated from the ACCET?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kat in Mansfield, Texas

66 months ago

HOLLY in Fort Walton Beach, Florida said: I am a medical assistant with an associates degree and I had to complete Pharmacology, Med/Surg, Pathophysiology, my internship was 125 hours and I assisted the Dr in a c-section.

That's disturbing. I'm fairly certain that is well outside your scope of practice of a an MA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Amber in Waverly, Ohio

66 months ago

i didnt think that MA's could do anything like that

Elena C. Salazar in Castro Valley, California

66 months ago

In the state of California they DO offer a state exam. I took it and passed. I am now a CCMA-Clinical. This means that I am a California Certified Medical Assistant in a Clinical setting. Look it up....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Well that sure is funny because according to State Law, there is no "lisence" & am not going to say anymore!

Are medical assistants required to be licensed or certified by the State of California to perform procedures within their "scope of practice"?

No. Medical assistants are not licensed, certified, or registered by the State of California. However, the medical assistant's employer and/or supervising physician's or podiatrist's malpractice insurance carrier may require that the medical assistant be certified by a national or private association. A medical assistant must be certified by one of the approved certifying organizations in order to train other medical assistants. (Title 16 CCR 1366.3)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Elena C. Salazar in Castro Valley, California said: In the state of California they DO offer a state exam. I took it and passed. I am now a CCMA-Clinical. This means that I am a California Certified Medical Assistant in a Clinical setting. Look it up....

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:H5Wh6xPyrrcJ:www.futurehealth.ucsf.edu/pdf_files/MA%2520Issue%2520Brief.pdf+In+California+do+Medical+Assistants+have+to+take+a+state+board+exam+for+clinical+practice%3F&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

State of California California has a fragmented approach to the certification of medical assistants. The Medical Board of California, Affiliated Healing Arts recognizes three types of certifications for medical assisting: the national CMA certificate through the AAMA, the RMA certificate through the AMT, and the California Certified Medical Assistant (CCMA) credential. In Northern California, medical assistants predominantly obtain the California Certified Medical Assistant established by the California Medical Assistants Association (CMAA), while Southern California medical assistants primarily become certified through the AAMA. Less than 5% of medical assistants in California opt for state or national certification because the incentives to do so are few. Those incentives include a 3-7% higher salary and the professional satisfaction of being credentialed (J. C. Nakano, personal communication, 2003). 4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well Elena Salazar I'm just trying to give both sides to the reality of becoming a MA, mainly it isn't regulated by the State Board Of Nursing as a L.P.N. or a R.N. is. Certainly isn't the same pay and is much more physician supervised. CNA (certified Nursing Assistant is 100% regulated by the State Board of Nursing in each state. Ma's go through different channels. This is a free country and I have a right to post here too other facts besides "California"'s. Am very happy and proud for

66 months ago

www.aama-ntl.org/becomeCMA/how.aspx I wanted to say to Elena Salazar I'm very proud of you for having the determination to do what you do. It's a lot of hard work. Am not trying to start anything here other than to let people know every State is different. I live in Washington state and there aren't any state boards here for Ma's only certification, which is the gold standard for most of the country according to the Americal Association of Medical Assisting Website above, paste it to browser. ;=)

Elena C. Salazar in Castro Valley, California

66 months ago

In California it is called the CCBMA. This stands for the California Certifying Board of Medical Assistants. It is not required, but highly recommended due to California having some of the strictest laws pertaining to healthcare!

Crystal in Santa Ana, California

66 months ago

I just want to know: what kind of physician is doing a C-SECTION in a clinic!!! Why would an MA even be present during a c-section? It's major surgery.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lisa in Raymond, South Dakota

66 months ago

I do not know about other states but in south dakota pay is at 11-14 an hour for ma's.

Ramona in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

66 months ago

Elena Salazar in Fairfield, California said: There is a demand for Medical Assistants in many states. It's even better for you if you take the state exam as well. As far as MA vs. LPN- LPN's are nurses and do a whole lot more than an MA. Medical Assistants are wanted to greet and room patients, take vital signs, prepare the pt. for exams, and also to assist the physician with certain procedures. Licensed Practical Nurses are just that (licensed), and are legally able to do more hands on work with patients.

There are 7 States that have a formal Scope of Practice for MAs; which are much more extensive than what is written above; including dialysis, lab procedures, injections, EKGs and much more. The other states Scopes of Practice are even broader. As for the "Certified" vs. "Licensed" issue: Certification is granted by a Private entity and "Licensing" is granted by a Government entity. That is the ONLY difference. Pure and Simple. See my comments on certmedassistant.com, which lists in more detail how much the Scope of Practice for MAs has expanded. MAs are not trained to do some of the clinical procedures that LPNs are, because those procedures are generally done in ambulatory care (medical offices, clinics, etc). MAs are trained specifically for ambulatory care and have more training in doing lab procedures and phlebotomy, and EKGs than LPNs. They are also trained in diseases, pharmacology and med administration, critical thinking, anatomy and physiology and much more. If you look at the Bureau of Labor Statistics website for 2009, you can compare the skills and training of each. Elena is right, if you are eligible to take the Certification exam, because you have completed an accedited MA program, do so. The move is to require everyone to be a CMA in order to practice medical assisting. Licensing will follow, giving medical assisting the credibility it deserves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Typo: MAs are not trained to do some of clinical procedures that LPNs are, because those procedures are NOT generally done in ambulatory care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

KatieMarie in Maple Valley, Washington

66 months ago

I am looking into becoming a Medical Assistant but i hear a lot of bad things. I'd rather be an LPN BUT.. it takes more schooling and there is a waiting list AND you have to get a certain GPA in all your Pre req. classes to even get into the program to become a LPN. I am extremly bad at math and i don't really have the patience to do all that. So that's why i want to be an MA. I took a course to be a Medical Receptionist about a year ago and havent found a job. everything is 1+ experience. SOOO irritating! So i'm going to go back to school and HOPEFULLY i'll be able to get a job. The schools are very misleading. They say you will get a job right after. that's not true AT ALL. I am only 20. and Only have worked 1 job. I'm a bagger at QFC [a grocery store in wa] i've workered there for 2 years but i don't think employers like that. I dont have barely any experience.

I WISH SOMEONE WOULD GIVE ME A BREAK!

Kat in Mansfield, Texas

66 months ago

Ramona in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: As for the "Certified" vs. "Licensed" issue: Certification is granted by a Private entity and "Licensing" is granted by a Government entity. That is the ONLY difference. Pure and Simple.

That's not exactly true... Licensure IS granted by a government entity but so can certification - a CNA for example. Licensing is a permission and privilege to perform an activity such as practicing as a nurse. The purpose is to restrict entry and to strictly control the profession. Generally, it is mandatory for one to have licensure to perform the job/activity, so one CANNOT work without the license. Certification is not a permission to perform a certain job, it is a statement of completion or qualification. It is not governed by the state. Certification is generally voluntary, one can legally perform the job/activity without the certification. THAT is the difference, pure and simple...

I wouldn't count on licensing to follow for CMAs. The profession was created by physicians and I highly doubt they are for licensure. That would mean having to pay higher wages and most likely restrict the scope of practice. Not a good deal for physicians... They might as well have a licensed nurse instead if that were the case.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

That's not exactly true... Licensure IS granted by a government entity but so can certification - a CNA for example. Licensing is a permission and privilege to perform an activity such as practicing as a nurse. The purpose is to restrict entry and to strictly control the profession. Generally, it is mandatory for one to have licensure to perform the job/activity, so one CANNOT work without the license. Certification is not a permission to perform a certain job, it is a statement of completion or qualification. It is not governed by the state. Certification is generally voluntary, one can legally perform the job/activity without the certification.

Yes, you are correct a CNA is Certified by the State (I stand corrected on that point); which is a permission and priveledge to perform the activity. One cannot work without the Certification (at least not here)and it is NOT voluntary. Therefore, Certification IS permission to perform a certain job and IS governed by the state. In several states, MAs must be Certified (CMA or RMA) to practice medical assisting. It IS NOT voluntary. So the difference lies where?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Mansfield, Texas

66 months ago

[QUOTE
Yes, you are correct a CNA is Certified by the State (I stand corrected on that point); which is a permission and priveledge to perform the activity. One cannot work without the Certification (at least not here)and it is NOT voluntary. Therefore, Certification IS permission to perform a certain job and IS governed by the state. In several states, MAs must be Certified (CMA or RMA) to practice medical assisting. It IS NOT voluntary. So the difference lies where?

In general MAs are NOT required to be certified, it may be preferred some places but not neccesarily required. Considering CMAs and RMAs are not regulated by a government agency, why would certain states require certification? Which states are these by the way? This explains it better, and is not just relevent to naturopathy but as a legal guideline for unlicensed practioners.
www.anma.com/licvscert.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Considering CMAs and RMAs are not regulated by a government agency, why would certain states require certification? Which states are these by the way?

The Medical Examining Boards in 7 States HAVE SPECIFIC LAWS REGULATING MEDICAL ASSISTING PRACTICE: Arizona, California, Florida, New Jersey, Maryland, South Dakota and Washington. Arizona, California and Maryland have the most extensive Scopes of Practice under those laws. Certification and Registration are MANDATORY in New Jersey and South Dakota to practice medical assisting.

THE LAWS in Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Massachusettes, Maine, Michigan, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, and Wisconsin PERMIT MAs to perform medical assisting that is within their scope of training and delegated by a Medical Practitioner (Physician, Osteopath, Podiatrist, etc).

As I stated in my earlier post, CNAs are Certified by the state and it is MANDATORY; also Certified Nurse Midwives; Certified Lab Technicians; Certified Nurse Anesthetists; Certified Veterinary Technician; Certified Clinical Substance Abuse Counselor; Certified Dietician; Certified Massage Therapist; Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant just to name a few. I repeat, MANDATORY CERTIFICATION AND LICENSING for MAs in all states are on the horizon.

Kat in Mansfield, Texas

66 months ago

Ramona in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said:

Well I agree that regulating a good thing glad to see that some states actually regulate it. However, in GENERAL like I said, a certification is not legally required or mandatory for MAs. There needs to be some standards put in place for sure. I just disagreed with your statement about the only difference is the regulating agency between certification and licensure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

HOLLY in Fort Walton Beach, Florida

66 months ago

Crystal in Santa Ana, California said: I just want to know: what kind of physician is doing a C-SECTION in a clinic!!! Why would an MA even be present during a c-section? It's major surgery.

OUR CLINIC WAS ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE HOSPITAL WHERE THE C-SECTION WAS PERFORMED. WHEN I WENT TO SCHOOL WE WERE TAUGHT ABOUT STERILE FIELDS AND TESTED ON IT QUITE FREQUENTLY. WE ALSO WERE TAUGHT THE INSTRUMENTS THAT WERE NECESSARY IN SURGERY.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

soulwindows in Piscataway, New Jersey

66 months ago

I am interested in the Medical Assistant program at Berdan Institute, and was wondering if anyone here attended that school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Curious Me in Mendota, California

66 months ago

Kat in Mansfield, Texas said: [QUOTE

In general MAs are NOT required to be certified, it may be preferred some places but not neccesarily required. Considering CMAs and RMAs are not regulated by a government agency, why would certain states require certification? Which states are these by the way? This explains it better, and is not just relevent to naturopathy but as a legal guideline for unlicensed practioners.
www.anma.com/licvscert.html

I see what you are saying, but in my state (which is NOT California; I'm on Wi-Fi) it is not "preferred" for a medical/clinical assistant to be certified, it is REQUIRED. You WILL NOT get a job anywhere without certification. Same for CNAs. I feel this is a good step to standardizing the field.

66 months ago

Kat in Mansfield, Tx said:

Well I agree that regulating a good thing glad to see that some states actually regulate it. However, in GENERAL like I said, a certification is not legally required or mandatory for MAs. There needs to be some standards put in place for sure. I just disagreed with your statement about the only difference is the regulating agency between certification and licensure.

66 months ago

Kat in Mansfield, Texas said:

"Well I agree that regulating a good thing glad to see that some states actually regulate it. However, in GENERAL like I said, a certification is not legally required or mandatory for MAs. There needs to be some standards put in place for sure. I just disagreed with your statement about the only difference is the regulating agency between certification and licensure."

Correction: The above posting that says this comment was made by Ramona is incorrect.

66 months ago

Judy in Sicklerville, New Jersey said: "I am a LPN for 27 years and teach MA's. MA's cannot take off orders, nor take a V.O unless the hospital a LPN cannot either. MA cannot pour meds nor pass meds without a special certifcation class and test and is not acceptable everywhere. MA cannot be in charge either unless the LPN is in the hospital. There are so many differences." Judy

It is not at all clear what you are trying to convey. It does not appear by your writing that you should be teaching MAs/LPNs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

dfgsg in Plainfield, New Jersey

66 months ago

Annie in Riverview, Florida said: www.aama-ntl.org/becomeCMA/apply_CMA.aspx

www.AMT1.com

Woot. in Gresham, Oregon

66 months ago

Marie in Vancouver, Washington said: Hi! I recently visited Concorde Career Institute to talk to them about their Surgical Technologist and LPN programs. Instead I was sort of talked into the Medical Assistant with Limited X-Ray program. The MA program is about 10 months, and the LPN is about 13 months. The cost for the LPN program is quite a bit more.

I've worked in home health and nursing homes before as a caregiver (basically I did all the same things a CNA did without having the certification) and I really don't want to go back to that. I would much rather work in a hospital or doctor's office and work a regular 40 hour work week. Now that I went through the application process i'm starting to have second thoughts about the MA program.

As far as I know it's not too late to change my mind and switch over to the LPN program. I do like the fact that the MA program offers 3 months of x-ray training though. Has anyone here gone to Concorde and which program do you recommend?

HEY! I wanted to look into the LPN program too, that way it would be a start for me, then I could continue into RN! Afterwards! But, the rep was trying to talk me into the MA program too! I don't know what it is! But I think I will choose the LPN program now, b/c it is what I wanted to start with. Until, they kept trying to make me steer in the MA direction.

Of course it is cheaper, by like 10 or 12 thousand! But, I'm sure it is worth it! I'm glad I found that you had the same happened to you. But, I believe an LPN would be the better choice, b/c salary for an MA is 27,000, of course depending. But, that's how much I make now with my current job. So it'd be like paying $13,000 to make as much as I did without a degree. Hmmm.

It is not about the money though. I've always wanted a career in the health field. And becoming a nurse, and helping others is what I love. I don't know why these schools won't help you with what YOU WANT to do. I find it... ODD?

66 months ago

Got for the LPN program it's a great start for and you can go further more the medical field and then transfer to the RN program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.