MEDICAL ASSISTANT VS LPN

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 1366)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

Ramona in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

86 months ago

Common Sense in NY said:
"How dare you steer young impressionable minds toward MA programs! Heart of health care, yes because healthcare is in a crisis and we need the cheap labor of MAs!!!!! Every lpn can find a job. MAs can't demand any kind of salary. LPNs can and can also go on for RN and make 50k starting. No MA after working 50 years would ever come close to that! These MA schools are a scam!"

Believe what you want, I only presented facts. The FACT is that many LPNs cannot find jobs because they have been forced out of hospitals by Magnet Status; and out of medical offices, into long-term care, home care, corrections and assisted living facilities. The FACT is that MAs work in every ambulatory care speciality, as well as primary care.

Their is a misconception among many people, especially nurses that MAs are "nurse wannabees". The FACT is that MAs have THEIR OWN Scope of Practice, have better hours (especially if they have children) and are able to establish a rapport with their patients. MAs are able to influence health promotion in their patients to keep them OUT of the hospital. MAs who work in OB-gyn and Peds get to see families grow and develop. If MAs want to go on to get their RN, they are able to do so, just as easily as an LPN.

As I said in an earlier post, PRIVATE MA programs that charge
$ 10,000 or more are "for-profit" and may or may not be accredited.
There are good and bad programs in every field and potential students should do their homework before deciding on a program.
There are many reputable, accredited MA programs that charge much less that $ 10,000 and are eligible for financial aid.

"Medical Assistants are at the HEART of Health Care"(AAMA): because they CARE about patients; not about the almighty dollar.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

g in Sewell, New Jersey said: I am so confused. I signed up at chubb institute and did not do my homework before hand. I am currently withdrawing my self from the program since I have learned of Caahep.My question is, I am an office manager for a family practice and wanted to become a MA to be able to understand my clinical staff and be a hands on manager.I really took to the clinical side of this work, I really like to make a difference and help people.
I have not begun classes so I can cancel my application. My question is, I have done some homework regarding CNA and CMA.I just don't understand which would benefit me in the long run? Are CMA's over CNA's? what is the difference? What is more recognized in the office.Also all I have in my office are MA's. NOw I also heard LPN's are being faded out. is this true? Now there is a program for CNA.If I attend this course could I still be considered a MA? If I wanted to pursue this career could I find a job as a MA even if I only took CNA courses? any help would be great.
Thank you

Very confused

CNA trainings are about two weeks long, with three days of clinicals. They are taught basic nursing skills, vital signs, medical terminology, bedside care of patients (bathing, turning, positioning, diets, etc). CMA programs are usually one to two years long, with a clinical; focus on ambulatory care in doctors offices and clinics; Vital signs, Patients histories, medications, EKGs, Phlebotomy, Anatomy and Physiology, Injections, etc). CMA would be much more beneficial for you. LPNs are not exactly being phased out, but they are being moved primarily to long-term care. If you took a CNA training, you would not be considered to be an MA. If you want to work as a CMA, attend a CAAHEP or ABHES accredited program and sit for the Certification exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

shin in Miami, Florida

86 months ago

you're right and I do agree 100% with you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sean in Trinity, North Carolina

86 months ago

sarah in Avon, Connecticut said: I am a medical assistant and I am glad I took this career path. Many people dis MA's but trust me we do a lot a lot of work! One day I will go back to nursing but I highly recommend becoming a MA for those interested in the medical field or advancing in the medical field later on.

i reccomend also!! was a very good and profitable venture for me to become MA!!! theyre not hiring lpn's in my area , so MA WAS DEFINITELY BEST CHOICE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Mansfield, Texas

85 months ago

Ramona in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said:
If MAs want to go on to get their RN, they are able to do so, just as easily as an LPN.

LPNs can be accepted to LPN-RN bridge programs and graduate in less than 1 year. An MA would have to start as a generic RN student and it would take 2 years just to complete nursing school. Most nursing programs are FT and have day hours M-F, not very easy for an MA to work and attend school at the same time, however very easy for an LPN with a flexible schedule to work weekends, evenings or nights PRN or PT. Most LPN employers offer tuition reimbursement as well. In my area I see as many openings in clinics or doctors offices for LVNs as I do for MAs. In fact many of the ads advertise for LVN or MA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Kat in Mansfield, Texas said: LPNs can be accepted to LPN-RN bridge programs and graduate in less than 1 year. An MA would have to start as a generic RN student and it would take 2 years just to complete nursing school. Most nursing programs are FT and have day hours M-F, not very easy for an MA to work and attend school at the same time, however very easy for an LPN with a flexible schedule to work weekends, evenings or nights PRN or PT. Most LPN employers offer tuition reimbursement as well.

Their is a misconception among many people, especially nurses that MAs are "nurse wannabees". The FACT is that MAs have THEIR OWN Scope of Practice, have better hours (especially if they have children) and are able to establish a rapport with their patients. MAs are able to influence health promotion in their patients to keep them OUT of the hospital. MAs who work in OB-gyn and Peds get to see families grow and develop. If MAs want to go on to get their RN, they are able to do so, just as easily as an LPN.

The inference in the earlier post was that only LPNs can go on to be nurses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

The inference in the earlier post was that only LPNs can go on to be nurses.

Correction: The inference in the earlier post was that only LPNs can go on to be RNs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

saipeople in kingwood, Texas

85 months ago

afnichols30 in Sarepta, Louisiana said: I was employed in an Emergency Room for 3 years as Ward Clerk...I LOVED it! Now I am thinking of Certification as Medical Assistant. Can someone tell me the benefits over LPN?

An MA goes to a vocational school between 9-12 months depending on what state you're in and how the program is set up. Then there are many types of nurses. The LPN or Licensed Practical Nurse goes for about the same amount of time, however, many states have a "track" set up so that as you have a job as an LPN, you can continue on the "track" and become an RN or Registered Nurse. You can get an RN from a vocational school (2years) or a college/university in (4years). If you get a 4 year degree you can go to school an additional 2 years and become a NP and write prescriptions and basically treat patients in your specialized area. However, if you are going to go that many years you might as well get your MD because your scope of practice is greater and the money is alot better. A nurse (all types would be paid better than the MA) however, usually MA's work in physician offices so the hours might be better because you would have day hours/probably no week-ends/and no holidays. The scope of practice for an MA versus an LPN is that the nurse can do everything the MA can do and more. Some hospitals have LPN's doing IV's, drawing blood, assisting in administering blood, etc. giving meds. The MA does some of that but their scope as I read it is limited, and you are not part of the "track" that allows you to go on and become an RN. I think the more flexible and better paying position might be to start out as an LPN. However, it depends alot on your pocket book The LPN grants you about the same scope of practice but allows you to continue without starting from scratch again. Some states differ so check with your local vocational school.

saipeople
<Edited by Host: advertisement removed>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

lielite in Newark, New Jersey

85 months ago

Victor in Brooklyn, New York said: To everybody that want to become a lpn go to Microtech Training institute dont waist your time in MA lpn pay more 20 to 25 at hour.contact Microtech institute at Jersey city the school acept Hs acreedited like Continental Academy,Microtech have alot careers like surgical tech ultrasound,sonocardio etc.but the lpn will start soon the school location is at 3000 JF Kennedy BLVD suite 310 Jersey city 07306. this school is good is closer to the path train attention NYorkers with Continental Academy Hs go for it. do not waist your time is time to wake up and smel the coffee.chao guys I hope this been helpful o contact mr Erick o mr Fergusun.

i got out of school and liscenced as LPN 2 yrs ago, and i dont know what you people are talking about. jobs as lpn are VERY EXTREMEMLY HARD TO COME BY, offer crap pay. i know ma's who make more with half the loans to repay, and half the knowlege! LPN SUCKS , I WOULDNT RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE, SORRY. i now have 25ooo. debty to pay off and almost impossible to pay it off!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

cheerful in Salisbury, Massachusetts

85 months ago

lielite in Newark, New Jersey said: i got out of school and liscenced as LPN 2 yrs ago, and i dont know what you people are talking about. jobs as lpn are VERY EXTREMEMLY HARD TO COME BY, offer crap pay. i know ma's who make more with half the loans to repay, and half the knowlege! LPN SUCKS , I WOULDNT RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE, SORRY. i now have 25ooo. debty to pay off and almost impossible to pay it off!

Hi there, sorry to hear of your misfortune. What you are saying is true in my area as well. Although, I graduated this past May as a MA, I still haven't located a job. LPN's that I know have not had any luck either... I do foresee working hopefully soon. Can I ask where you are an LPN, hospital etc.? Hopefully your luck will change soon, so you get lighten your load with those loans....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Missy in Austin, Texas

85 months ago

saipeople in kingwood, Texas said: An MA goes to a vocational school between 9-12 months depending on what state you're in and how the program is set up. Then there are many types of nurses. The LPN or Licensed Practical Nurse goes for about the same amount of time, however, many states have a "track" set up so that as you have a job as an LPN, you can continue on the "track" and become an RN or Registered Nurse. You can get an RN from a vocational school (2years) or a college/university in (4years). If you get a 4 year degree you can go to school an additional 2 years and become a NP and write prescriptions and basically treat patients in your specialized area. However, if you are going to go that many years you might as well get your MD because your scope of practice is greater and the money is alot better. A nurse (all types would be paid better than the MA) however, usually MA's work in physician offices so the hours might be better because you would have day hours/probably no week-ends/and no holidays. The scope of practice for an MA versus an LPN is that the nurse can do everything the MA can do and more. Some hospitals have LPN's doing IV's, drawing blood, assisting in administering blood, etc. giving meds. The MA does some of that but their scope as I read it is limited, and you are not part of the "track" that allows you to go on and become an RN. I think the more flexible and better paying position might be to start out as an LPN. However, it depends alot on your pocket book The LPN grants you about the same scope of practice but allows you to continue without starting from scratch again. Some states differ so check with your local vocational school.

saipeople
<Edited by Host: Advertisement removed>

Hey I see you are in Kingwood, TX.

Are by any chance attending school to be a MA?

Thanks

soulwindows in Piscataway, New Jersey

85 months ago

I would suggest looking at the online boards such as Craigslist, Indeed, Monster, etc. for your area. Also..go directly online to Hospitals in your areas, see what jobs they need. Some areas may need more Lpn's, others more MA's. Do your homework, and use this forum as a resource.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

soulwindows in Piscataway, New Jersey said: I would suggest looking at the online boards such as Craigslist, Indeed, Monster, etc. for your area. Also..go directly online to Hospitals in your areas, see what jobs they need. Some areas may need more Lpn's, others more MA's. Do your homework, and use this forum as a resource.

I am going to check out Craigslist, that is about the only one I am not familiar with 'til today. I am new to this forum. I am gaining some insight on certain posts, which is great, other posts, not so much ;-)... but,that's ok. I am determined, & have alot of optimism. I WILL get a job, someday! Thanks, for the info~

darrell lottie in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

85 months ago

my answer to this is that registered medical assistant and a lpn/lvn or on the same level known is higher then eachother but medical assistant dont have to certified so the government want pay them more then what they are worth BUT DO YOU REALLY LIKE THE HEALTH CARE FIELD DO ENJOY WHAT YOU DO REGARD PAY THAT IS ALL THAT MATTER. BUT JOBS HIGHER LPN OVER MA'S BECAUSE THEY ARE GOVERMENT LICENSED PEOPLE WHO GET IN LPN SCHOOL SOMETIMES ARE OUT OG LUCK BUT MOST POEPLE ARE GOING INTO NURSING FOR THE MONEY THAT IS SAD BECAUSE THEY FORGETTING THE PROFESSION THE COMPASSION.

85 months ago

you speak / write like a goddamm caveman. and you people wonder why you cant make money/ get a decent job!! hhaaa hhhaaaaaa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

lielite in Newark, New Jersey said: you speak / write like a goddamm caveman. and you people wonder why you cant make money/ get a decent job!! hhaaa hhhaaaaaa

Although the writing in the above post leaves a lot to be desired, this person is obviously NOT an MA. The points he is trying to make though are valid. Many nurses, LPN and RN have lost sight of the compassion side of patient care in favor of money. If there is no interest in the patient or the profession we might as well have programmed robots taking care of patients. Despite the "critical thinking" aspect of patient care, robots could be programmed to react to variations in a patient's condition. We already have technology that does this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

you do make a very good point there! and congratulations for being able to communicate like a human.

85 months ago

Ramona in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: Although the writing in the above post leaves a lot to be desired, this person is obviously NOT an MA. The points he is trying to make though are valid. Many nurses, LPN and RN have lost sight of the compassion side of patient care in favor of money. If there is no interest in the patient or the profession we might as well have programmed robots taking care of patients. Despite the "critical thinking" aspect of patient care, robots could be programmed to react to variations in a patient's condition. We already have technology that does this.

Send me that robot programmed to be my maid please ;-)! ~~~~~~~ I started my phlebotomy class last week, (also a recent CMA). In my class I found it quite interesting as there were RN'S, teachers, administrative assistant's, and of course student's just going back to school. The RN's, mostly one in particular, was totally burnt out, & definetly was not speaking with compassion. Her comment's, & actions which weren't TOO horrible, was just enough to take me back a little. I know how difficult being an RN can be, but WOW! It doesn't make her a bad person, I was just surprised... I was leaning towards LPN, right after I graduated 2008, BUT, the college decided to change the LPN curriculim, and added more classes. (Great accredited CC). I am still contemplating my next move. I am thinking LPN would make me more marketable, maybe, maybe not. I am a late bloomer, so not interested in RN. I am very much a people person, as I was a bartender for many moons. I have alway's had compassion for other's. So, being an MA, I definetely am not in it for the $$. I do know that when I do get a job, I WILL climb the ladder on the pay scale... Salary here seems to be more than what I have been reading on this post.

85 months ago

LPN STINKS , DONT WASTE YOUR TIME. SERIOUSLY, GO INTO PTA OR COTA, IM LPN CANT MAKE A DAMN LIVING . THE PAY/SALARY THESE PEOPLE ALL OFFER IS A JOKE!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

lielite in Newark, New Jersey said: LPN STINKS , DONT WASTE YOUR TIME. SERIOUSLY, GO INTO PTA OR COTA, IM LPN CANT MAKE A DAMN LIVING . THE PAY/SALARY THESE PEOPLE ALL OFFER IS A JOKE!!

HI~~~ I heard ya before, (your other post). I do NOT really have any desire to enter the LPN program.... What I was saying is last term, I ONLY had to take a few more classes' to gain another "title". I was eager to do so 'till more "add" on classes took me for a loop. Believe me I here ya...
When I do land a J O B as a CMA/Phleb I will excel!!! I have what it takes, I go above and beyond. I am ready! Do not no the "linguil" of a COTA...??

Kat in Mansfield, Texas

85 months ago

lielite in Newark, New Jersey said: LPN STINKS , DONT WASTE YOUR TIME. SERIOUSLY, GO INTO PTA OR COTA, IM LPN CANT MAKE A DAMN LIVING . THE PAY/SALARY THESE PEOPLE ALL OFFER IS A JOKE!!

Maybe you need to move... I made over $40,000 my first year as a LPN, and will make over $50,000 this year. Never been without a job either. If you think as a LPN you can't make a living, then don't choose CMA - it's about $10,000-$20,000 less a year! Seriously do what makes you happy though. My job is great I only work 3-4 days a week and it's 1-1 with my patient the entire shift...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

what state ,and what kind of facility is it? thanks for response.

85 months ago

Here is an interesting article about the prevelance of narcotic abuse and addiction in the nursing profession; for anyone considering nursing:

www.duke.edu/~mageorge/Papers/Substance%20Abuse.pdf

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Mansfield, Texas

85 months ago

lielite in Newark, New Jersey said: what state ,and what kind of facility is it? thanks for response.

It's not a facility. I work for a hospice company and do what's called 'continuous care' which is when a pt is usually in the final days/hours of life or has uncontrolled symptoms and needs around the clock nursing care. Think of it as "hospice ICU" in someone's home which can be a residence, in a nursing home or assisted living, we also have an inpatient hospital unit. Texas has a great hospice program and there are hundreds of companies that hire experienced LVNs around here for this job. It may sound depressing, but it's really very rewarding.

NEW LPN in Portland, Oregon

85 months ago

KatieMarie in Maple Valley, Washington said: I am looking into becoming a Medical Assistant but i hear a lot of bad things. I'd rather be an LPN BUT.. it takes more schooling and there is a waiting list AND you have to get a certain GPA in all your Pre req. classes to even get into the program to become a LPN. I am extremly bad at math and i don't really have the patience to do all that. So that's why i want to be an MA. I took a course to be a Medical Receptionist about a year ago and havent found a job. everything is 1+ experience. SOOO irritating! So i'm going to go back to school and HOPEFULLY i'll be able to get a job. The schools are very misleading. They say you will get a job right after. that's not true AT ALL. I am only 20. and Only have worked 1 job. I'm a bagger at QFC [a grocery store in wa] i've workered there for 2 years but i don't think employers like that. I dont have barely any experience.

I WISH SOMEONE WOULD GIVE ME A BREAK!

Try Apollo in Portland. They have a 5 term LPN program and the first term is all of the pre-reqs you need. You can transfer applicable credits. Classes are SMALL and the instructors are AMAZING. Some are a bit rough around the edges, but if you ask them for 1:1 help, they will help you even if they don't like you...lol You just have to pass the initial tests to get in, and have a cosigner.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Woot. in Gresham, Oregon said: HEY! I wanted to look into the LPN program too, that way it would be a start for me, then I could continue into RN! Afterwards! But, the rep was trying to talk me into the MA program too! I don't know what it is! But I think I will choose the LPN program now, b/c it is what I wanted to start with. Until, they kept trying to make me steer in the MA direction.

Of course it is cheaper, by like 10 or 12 thousand! But, I'm sure it is worth it! I'm glad I found that you had the same happened to you. But, I believe an LPN would be the better choice, b/c salary for an MA is 27,000, of course depending. But, that's how much I make now with my current job. So it'd be like paying $13,000 to make as much as I did without a degree. Hmmm.

It is not about the money though. I've always wanted a career in the health field. And becoming a nurse, and helping others is what I love. I don't know why these schools won't help you with what YOU WANT to do. I find it... ODD?

I actually just finished my LPN program in Portland and loved it! I am not going to totally pitch my school here, but if you want to email me mrslund@hotmail.com I will tell you what I have found out about the LPN, RN, MA situation locally!

MA1 in Wyckoff, New Jersey

85 months ago

Hi,
Finally, someone who is a nurse and is pursing the MA field. What made you decide to go from nursing to the MA field..I want to start the MA program and i feel it is for me...so many people on this forum say don't bother with MA just go for nursing...sounds easy and i know nursing takes a lot of studying and much more responsibility than an MA but that is my pursuit right know.
I have been dealing with a "nut job" on this forum and i would like to finally speak to someone with experience from nursing and your view on pusuing the MA field.
Your insight would be greatly appreciated!
MA1

85 months ago

darrell lottie in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: my answer to this is that registered medical assistant and a lpn/lvn or on the same level known is higher then eachother but medical assistant dont have to certified so the government want pay them more then what they are worth BUT DO YOU REALLY LIKE THE HEALTH CARE FIELD DO ENJOY WHAT YOU DO REGARD PAY THAT IS ALL THAT MATTER. BUT JOBS HIGHER LPN OVER MA'S BECAUSE THEY ARE GOVERMENT LICENSED PEOPLE WHO GET IN LPN SCHOOL SOMETIMES ARE OUT OG LUCK BUT MOST POEPLE ARE GOING INTO NURSING FOR THE MONEY THAT IS SAD BECAUSE THEY FORGETTING THE PROFESSION THE COMPASSION.

what you are saying makes alot of sense...the "type o's" from my perspective can be overlooked...just thought i would correct the negative remarks by others. ; )

85 months ago

shina in Hollywood, Florida said: I am a Ma and myself going to school for LPN and I do feel you.

Hi,
May I ask are the MA's just looking for the $$$ or do they really want the job of LPN, RN and all the responsibility that goes with it? Clearly the MA field has no where near the responsibilities that the LPN, RN's will be dealing with...just curious what is the reason for the change in careers?

85 months ago

KatieMarie in Maple Valley, Washington said: I am looking into becoming a Medical Assistant but i hear a lot of bad things. I'd rather be an LPN BUT.. it takes more schooling and there is a waiting list AND you have to get a certain GPA in all your Pre req. classes to even get into the program to become a LPN. I am extremly bad at math and i don't really have the patience to do all that. So that's why i want to be an MA. I took a course to be a Medical Receptionist about a year ago and havent found a job. everything is 1+ experience. SOOO irritating! So i'm going to go back to school and HOPEFULLY i'll be able to get a job. The schools are very misleading. They say you will get a job right after. that's not true AT ALL. I am only 20. and Only have worked 1 job. I'm a bagger at QFC [a grocery store in wa] i've workered there for 2 years but i don't think employers like that. I dont have barely any experience.

I WISH SOMEONE WOULD GIVE ME A BREAK!

hi,
Unfortunutely, it is difficult depending where you live to get a job as an MA. In my state they are needed it seems everywhere..the school is flooded with students and they all seem to find jobs.
You have to keep trying to find a job, market yourself as well bring your resume to offices, clinics etc..there are lot of people out there in this field...doctor, facilities are looking but you have to go to them they are not going to find you...it is frustrating...I am looking to start the MA program but the $$$ right now are an issue...but i am focused on it...i am a "humanitarian" and i do like to work with people. I worked as an oral surgery assistant for 16 years and i miss it but i do like the medical field...i'm 43 years old and the thought of beocming a nurse at my age and all the responibilities that go with it along with the physical demand is just a little too much for me.
anyway, keep trying! at your age your sure to find a job, start marketing yourself someone will bite.
Good Luck! : )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Curious Me in Mendota, California said: I see what you are saying, but in my state (which is NOT California; I'm on Wi-Fi) it is not "preferred" for a medical/clinical assistant to be certified, it is REQUIRED. You WILL NOT get a job anywhere without certification. Same for CNAs. I feel this is a good step to standardizing the field.

Hi,
Any step towards securing your studies in any field is perferred I believe..I am certified as an OMS assistant(Oral & Maxillofacial Surgical Assistant) but it is not required...but it is looks good on a resume' and reassures potential employers that I am serious about my job...I am pursuing my MA career and my school offers the RMA certification of which i intend to go for...if it is there you should get the certification it can't hurt and the testing is done right at the school upon completion of the MA program.
Am i making any sense or am i persuing this for nothing...
MA1

85 months ago

Ramona in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: As a Medical Assistant you have better hours; usually first shift, days in a medical office. Medical Assistants also work in many different specialties. In my area LPN's are mostly limited to Long-term care, nursing homes, correctional facilities; some hospital and some medical office positions. This may not be true in all areas. Check the jobs in your area to see who is hiring MA's and who is hiring LPN's. In a medical office the duties performed are generally the same whether a Medical Assistant or an LPN. LPN training may be the same length as a Medical Assistant; if the Medical Assistant program is a Diploma program; or shorter than a Medical Assistant; if the Medical Assistant program in an Associate Degree (2 year). LPN training includes more procedures than a Medical Assistant program and more in depth in some areas. Medical Assistant also has a medical insurance and billing component and more of a focus on lab procedures than LPN. The pay may be more or less, depending on the area of the country. Both require an exam after graduation; and continuing education. Medical Assistants must attend a program that is Accredited by CAAHEP or ABHES, in order to take the Certification exam.

"Medical Assistants are at the HEART of Health Care" (AAMA)

Hi,
Thank you for your encouraging words on becoming a Medical Assistant..I am pursuing this field and i here a lot of negative responses and just go for LPN/RN..sorry but "I KNOW" that entails much more responsibility than I wish to deal with...the pay isn't that much different either but that is not my concern...I've been an oral surgery assistant for 16 years and i enjoyed it..I do like the medical field and I feel pursuing this career would benefit me and it is a "different" area than just working on the jaw and teeth all day...I am already familiar with starting IV's, Ekg's etc...since we gave patients IV sedation and General Anesthesia in my previous office.

85 months ago

MA1 in Wyckoff, New Jersey said: Hi,
Thank you for your encouraging words on becoming a Medical Assistant..I am pursuing this field and i here a lot of negative responses and just go for LPN/RN..sorry but "I KNOW" that entails much more responsibility than I wish to deal with...the pay isn't that much different either but that is not my concern...I've been an oral surgery assistant for 16 years and i enjoyed it..I do like the medical field and I feel pursuing this career would benefit me and it is a "different" area than just working on the jaw and teeth all day...I am already familiar with starting IV's, Ekg's etc...since we gave patients IV sedation and General Anesthesia in my previous office.

Your welcome. Medical Assisting is a valid career choice for many people; and should be respected as such. There IS a disparitiy in income between MAs and LPNs, but that can be addressed, just like any other type of disparity. Professions are suppose to pay based on level of education and experience. Therefore, a Diploma is a diploma; an Associate Degree, an Associate Degree; a Bachelors Degree a Bachelors Degree. They just passed pay equity between men and women; now we need pay equity based on education; not career choice. President Obama is open to hearing from us. Make the above point. A Diploma in Medical Assisting should pay the same as a Diploma in Practical Nursing; an Associate Degree in Medical Assisting should pay the same as an Associate Degree in Registered Nursing, etc. Whether each and every aspect of the education is the same doesn't matter. I have a Bachelors Degree, I should be paid more than an Associate Degree RN. I have more education. I have two jobs, and in fact in one of them I DO get paid as much as a BSN.

Your current experience will be helpful to you in Medical Assisting. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

XXX in Newark, New Jersey

85 months ago

guys ,theres really no reason for the hostility/ insults, but i do wonder about these people who post about "not wanting the workload/ difficult schooling of a nurse, etc." sounds incredibly lazy to me, youre right about that much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

XXX in Newark, New Jersey said: guys ,theres really no reason for the hostility/ insults, but i do wonder about these people who post about "not wanting the workload/ difficult schooling of a nurse, etc." sounds incredibly lazy to me, youre right about that much

Hi,
I don't think is it so much as laziness as much as is someone willing to take on all the responsibility of the say RN position?
verses Medical Assistant. I think many people as well are just going for the $$$. If it is what you love the $$$ will follow I believe in any field...Nursing is a lot of schooling and $$$$ compared to most other fields other than "Doctor". My opinion you have to start off really young to handle the work load of Nursing position and only if you are a real "humanitarian" type personality do you belong in the medical field..The CARING aspect of the job in any medical position is most important...The MA's i have seen so far seem to be happy and making decent $$$ and they get to go home and actually be with their families...That is an important factor as well...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

CupcakeFairy in Jackson Heights, New York said: You are 100% right. Many MAs don't go for Nursing because they aren't smart enough or don't want to work hard. LOL. Sorry! Just had to say it like it is! And I really wouldn't have to say it if all of these jealous, lowlife MAs would STOP trying to compare themselves to Nurses...and actually knock Nurses on top of that. YOU ARE NOT ON THEIR LEVEL. JUST GET OVER IT!

You sound like someone else on this forum who is not putting any of your thoughts into perspective...no one is comparing anyone to anyone and you should not make the assumption because somoeone is an MA they can not continue their education to RN...that is a narrow minded view..Nurses are not on any "level" that is beneath or better than anyone else...that is the reality....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

common sense in Ballston Spa, New York said: I feel so bad for these people who have no futures ahead of them. With a man and wife both as MAs, they wouldn't even be able to afford to live in a trailerpark! Anyone could just walk into a office, be shown a few procedures and boom, your a medical assistant, pick up a phone book your an office assistant. these for profit schools know since MAs arent licensed or accrediated anyone can pop up a school and make some profit! Healthcare is a huge career field, we all can agree on that, but who in their right mind would choose the LOWEST paying career in any field? Lowest paying and some go to school and get 10-20k in debt to have this lowest paying JOB! YOU FOOLS! hahahahaha

new name weirdo........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

CupcakeFairy in Jackson Heights, New York said: Yep, at 43...or even 25 in your case...Nursing is pretty much out of your league. Have fun trying to get a job as a medical assistant.

new name weirdo....

85 months ago

CupcakeFairy in Jackson Heights, New York said: You are 100% right. Many MAs don't go for Nursing because they aren't smart enough or don't want to work hard. LOL. Sorry! Just had to say it like it is! And I really wouldn't have to say it if all of these jealous, lowlife MAs would STOP trying to compare themselves to Nurses...and actually knock Nurses on top of that. YOU ARE NOT ON THEIR LEVEL. JUST GET OVER IT!

new name weirdo....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

CupcakeFairy in Jackson Heights, New York said: Obama? Come on. Let's stop looking for a Saviour. Once people can be more realistic and proactive on their own, they will find true success in everything they do.

do you have a life..if you don't which it looks that way then for GOD'S SAKE GO GET ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kat in Dallas, Texas

85 months ago

Ramona in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: Your welcome. Medical Assisting is a valid career choice for many people; and should be respected as such. There IS a disparitiy in income between MAs and LPNs, but that can be addressed, just like any other type of disparity. Professions are suppose to pay based on level of education and experience. Therefore, a Diploma is a diploma; an Associate Degree, an Associate Degree; a Bachelors Degree a Bachelors Degree. They just passed pay equity between men and women; now we need pay equity based on education; not career choice. President Obama is open to hearing from us. Make the above point. A Diploma in Medical Assisting should pay the same as a Diploma in Practical Nursing; an Associate Degree in Medical Assisting should pay the same as an Associate Degree in Registered Nursing, etc. Whether each and every aspect of the education is the same doesn't matter. I have a Bachelors Degree, I should be paid more than an Associate Degree RN. I have more education. I have two jobs, and in fact in one of them I DO get paid as much as a BSN.

Your current experience will be helpful to you in Medical Assisting. Good luck.

WHAT??? Are you Communist or something??? I'm sorry, but IT DOES matter what you have a diploma/degree in to determine your pay. Like other posters have mentioned on this forum, Nurses hold much more responsibility than MAs, thus nurses are paid more than MAs. It would be completely absurd for an MA with an associates to make more than a diploma RN or associates RN. Seriously, if you are so disgruntled with your pay then you should consider a career change.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

balletlover70 in Vancouver, Washington

85 months ago

MA1 in Wyckoff, New Jersey said: new name weirdo....

Yeah, LOL, if you're so happy, why are you busy putting other people down and assuming things you know not?! I have an Associate's degree and was a C.N.A. for several years. I think someone's "fooling themselves" and is on a superiority trip where they are really very insecure inside. Am glad you're so incredibly happy and cheery! Keep up the sarcastic work!!!! Kisses LOL

85 months ago

CupcakeFairy in Jackson Heights, New York said: Yep, at 43...or even 25 in your case...Nursing is pretty much out of your league. Have fun trying to get a job as a medical assistant.

Pride goeth before a fall, and in time it will.

85 months ago

Sorry MA1, I meant to comment to the insecure one, Cupcake Fairy, not to you! So the reply was in the wrong place. Again, LOL to you and if you're so happy and cheery, why do you spend so much time and energy acting superior to others and putting others down? You're assuming a LOT and you know not. Lol.....it's actually pretty sad. Bye-bye! Kisses lol....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

I'm sorry, there must have been a bit of miscommunication. I am just finishing my LPN program. I have been a CNA for 6 years, and worked with MAs (doing pretty much the same job) for three years. The MAs I work with are so discontent and regret getting their MA instead of LPN or RN. Sorry.

85 months ago

CupcakeFairy in Jackson Heights, New York said: Obama? Come on. Let's stop looking for a Saviour. Once people can be more realistic and proactive on their own, they will find true success in everything they do.

I never said that Obama is a "savior" or that people should not be proactive on their own. Actually, Obama encourages people to be proactive. The fact is that pay disparities, sex discrimination, age discrimation, etc. are legal issues to be handled by the government. I agree that people are responsible for their own success. Therefore, anyone can be successful in whatever they choose to do.

Years ago, people talked about doctors having a "God Complex" now we need to talk about nurses having a "Goddess Complex". The ignorance of the people on this forum is truly amazing. We have a nursing shortage in many areas of the country, because nurses are leaving the profession due to dissatisfaction with pay, hours, lack of respect, overwork, and excessive responsibility and losing their licenses due to substance abuse. Yet, nurses are the first ones to bash anyone else who chooses not to be a nurse. Nurses are not the "be all and end all". Why anyone considering a career would choose nursing inspite of the above reasons that nurses are leaving the profession is more in question than anything else.

In response to the poster that said if I am dissatisfied with my pay that I should change careers: I never said I was disatisfied with my pay. I am actually quite happy with my pay, I make
$ 50.00/hr. in one of my jobs and I perform the same job as a Public Health Nurse. I have a Bachelors Degree and graduated with honors. I have worked as a Medical Assistant in the past before it was a REQUIREMENT to complete an Certified MA program and be CERTIFIED, and really enjoyed it. The notion that MAs are "trailer trash" or whatever the comment was is disgusting and disrepecful. See below for the rest of my comments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

With my education, I have the option to return to school and earn an accelerated BSN, or an MSN. I choose not to. There was a time that I wanted to be a nurse, but not anymore. I am considering returning to school for my CMA. I am "smart enough" and have the ability to "work hard", but do not WANT TO BE A NURSE. It is nurses who need to "JUST NEED TO GET OVER IT".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Reyna Apple in Jackson Heights, New York said: Obama encourages people to be proactive? Lazy @$$ people need to be proactive on their own. Obama is a nobody. Stop looking to him in regards to a career. You need to look within yourself. Hard concept much?

You obviously have an issue with Obama and feel the need to deflect from any of my other comments, rather than respond to them. Why is that? I'll tell you why; because they are valid.

85 months ago

You're showing your ignorance yet again. There is no such thing as a Bachelors in Medical Assisting. I never said that my Bachelors was in Medical Assisting. I don't need to prove my "worthiness" to you or anyone else.

What I am done doing is wasting my time on responding to your drivel. I have better things to do. I hope that you can find whatever it is that's lacking in your life that makes you so hateful and judgemental. Have a good day.

235 in Land O Lakes, Florida

85 months ago

[

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.