Medical Assistant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 96)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Crystal in Washington, District of Columbia

82 months ago

How do you get hire fresh out of MA school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Tisha in New York, New York

80 months ago

YOu dont

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

heather in Dracut, Massachusetts

80 months ago

yea its hard to find a job as a medical assistant i habe been looking for monthes no one wants to hire anyone fresh out of school im still looking and i feel like giving up......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Ericka in Baltimore, Maryland

80 months ago

It is very hard but don't give up. I am still looking and i have been looking sense June of 2007..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mimi in East Providence, Rhode Island

79 months ago

Fraud is right, 3 months out of school and nothing in my area (Rhode Island)went to Lincoln Technical Institute for MA could have gone for CNA and it is a free 6 weeks course, seems like even though we have more skills that is all they are hiring CNA's I think we are all up a creek. Best of luck to all of us in this mess.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle

79 months ago

You have to make sure the school is CAAHEP accreditted. Go to AAMA website and it lists the schools that are accreditted. The website is AAMA~WTL.org. You can also report the school to the BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

maria mace in Carthage, Missouri

78 months ago

I am going to Vatterott College in Joplin,MO. Three girls in my class got a job,before graduate. I had one job interview appointment. Detail, we have no experience at all.

Our teachers encourage us to look for a volunteer job in community clinics, something like 1 hr couple times a week, and also to do a network job. That works!!!!! NEVER GIVE UP!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

jackie in Newark, New Jersey

77 months ago

I went through a course in NJ... and took the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) Med assistant exam and got hired right away all the workers at my doctors office are nationally certified by them...
i was told to make sure you should work with a school that is approved by NHA
There address is www.nhanow.com
good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rebekah in Davison, Michigan

77 months ago

Hi all, I am very happy I've come across this forum. I myself just yesterday went to an interview at American Medical Careers. I left all pumped afte being told they have a 87% hire rate after graduation.

So came home very excited and wanted to see what my new career would have to offer me. The more I searched, the more discouaged Ihad become. I just happen to work in a building with mutliple doctors offices. So I thought I would as the medical assistants already working how they felt about their career. Turns out none of them actually ever went to school for medical assisting. They said "all" of them just applied and got the job. All of them said their are tons of medical assistant jobs available.

Unfortunetly...... there is a catch. Their average pay of all whom I had spoken to was about $10hr. Average years about 2 until they reached $10hr. Stating they started at $7 to $8 hr.

Suffice to say I was ver relieved. I'm sticking to my proffession instead. I am a Cosmetologist. I have worked an hourly job of $19 an hr for 3 yrs and have not advanced anymore because I thought I let my license lapse to the point of losing it. So all this made me look into what I can do about my current license and come to find out I can easily get it back...

to Sum it up I guess what I'm saying is, this is not the job of the future. If you have the chance do something else, do it. Medical assistant certifacation is a scam.

I almost blew thousands on a pipe dream when I already have my future and dreams in the palm of my hand because of scams. Good luck all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dragua79 in Holland, Michigan

74 months ago

Everest Institute/College also says that Medical Assistants are the most in need in the medical field. Ok, then why didn't I get an externship that was hiring? Why did one of the girls I graduated with get hired after one week and I'm still struggling to find ANY job in this ****** economy? Everst promised me that they would place me on an Externship that was hiring. Yeah they were, in Grand Rapids (a two hour drive each day) which I probably would have a 40 hour a week job but my Mom said I couldn't use her van to go to the Externship. This all just cooks my turkey. "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" "Experience" well how the heck am I supposed to get that when NO ONE WILL HIRE ME?!?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

ThomG in Eugene, Oregon

74 months ago

You all need to stop blaming your schools because you can't get a job and did not have enough foresight to research the institution before enrolling. All those career/technical colleges are WAY to expensive and prey on people too ignorant to know any better. I went to a community college and graduated with a one year medical assistant certificate and paid under $2000. I was able to find a good job within a few months. NO school is supposed to 'find' you a job!! Career centers at a reputable college will help locating employers and help you write a good resume or give interview skills workshops, but they won't spoonfeed you a job. Thats absurd!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Fall River, Massachusetts

74 months ago

I got hired at the place that I did my internship at. Other than that I would have been on my own!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dragua79 in Holland, Michigan

74 months ago

Yeah, they don't guarantee placement, that's up to each individual Extern, however they didn't even place me at a company that was hiring in the first place. I was told by the director that we wouldn't be placed at externships that weren't hiring unless we had plans for moving. I didn't tell them that I was moving, yet they placed me at an externship that wasn't hiring.

ALSO, they decided to take forever to cooperate with me (honestly who has the time and wants to travel two hours for 20 minutes of papersigning?) and send me the papers to complete my program. So any and every job that I have been applying for has been contacting Everest and because they didn't send me the paperwork as I had set up with the education department on several occasions before I left my Externship, thought I was lying when I said I was a graduate of Everest Institute. Therefore untrustworthy, and knew nothing of the medical offices. That also pissed me off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

nwright1200 in Miami, Florida

74 months ago

I finish school in 2005 and got my CMA and i'm still looking for a job can someone please help me if you live in miami,fl

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Leana in Elizabeth, New Jersey

72 months ago

I went to school in NY and got Certified by
National Health Career Association also known as NHA
they have been great to deal with and they (not my school) helped me get a job!!!
I Highly recomend The National Healthcareer Association (NHA)

Leana

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Whippany, New Jersey

72 months ago

I had a good experience with National HealthCareer Association
also i graduated from Dover Business College and was able to obtain a job fast...The National Healthcareer Association Certification was a requirement for me to apply for the job in the first place...
Brain

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Indianapolis, Indiana

71 months ago

Whlie in my externship in July this year my externshiop site wanted to hire me for at least 24 hours/wk. This was fine with me it would have been a start some where. However in attempting to apply online at their website for the job and being armed with my cover letter, resume etc. The one thing we was not taught was most medical jobs you have to apply online. We were not taught the steps on how to get your resume from a travel drive or a disk to the website. I presented this difficulty to my extern instructor and she said a good idea.She is going to make a note of it and make sure this is implemented into the next semester so the other MA's will not encounter the same problem. needless to say. I did not get the job because I did not get my application in sooner than the others did.

Gam Gams in Muncie, Indiana

71 months ago

Hello everyone but not sure if anyone has any luck trying for other positions that MA's are hired for such as; phlebotomists , Patient care techs? I have attempted today for a phlebotomist position at a lab. they have openings in different states.

The web site is www.labcorpcareers.com

Cici in Morganton, North Carolina

71 months ago

I'm fresh graduated from CMA program. I'm certified and still can't find a job. I think it's probably because I'm asian because most of my classmates had found themselves a job except me. I went to several job interviews and all I was told is that we still have some reseme to go through, after we're done then we'll let you know. I never hear anything from them after the interview. I send them follow up letters and sometimes even call them. But all I was told is that we'll contact you after we go through all the reseme. I've been looking for 6 months now. I even go to temp agency, but no one will higher a fresh graduated CMA. I wonder if people never give us a chance to be out there, when will we ever get the experience or even have the chance to be out there, after so many long years in school and now that I'm finally done with it and still can't find a job. I think I'm gonna give up and find something else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dragua in Zeeland, Michigan

71 months ago

"I think it's probably because I'm asian " Cici in Morganton, North Carolina 15 hours ago

Uhm, I think that statement is bullsh** because not all of us are Asian that couldn't get jobs. The medical field sucks if you're not an RN, or anything else REALLY in need. We had at all times at our school AT LEAST 12 classes of Medical Assistants at all time of at least 10 if not more (usually we had 20 in our classes). I don't know how many night classes there were either. And also, in the medical field, it's not what you know but WHO you know. I was told by a doctor that "Mention my name and you'll get hired." I did, and because my school wouldn't do their end of the paperwork, the said I didn't graduate so the places I interviewed at didn't hire me.

71 months ago

HELLO MA'S,
I HAVE BEEN OUT OF SCHOOL SINCE DEC. OF 2007 AND STILL HAVE NOT GOT A JOB MYSELF. I SOMETIMES THINK IT IS BECAUSE OF MY AGE,(46yrs.)I HAVE GONE ON COUNTLESS INTERVIEWS AND HAVE BEEN CALLED BACK FOR QUITE A FEW 2nd. INTERVIEWS, BUT THE PERSON WITH MORE EXPERIENCE HAS ALWAYS GOTTEN THE JOB. THEY DO NOT CARE HOW WELL YOU DID IN SCHOOL EITHER, I MADE THE DEANS LIST FROM THE BEGINNING TO THE END, IN EVERY SINGLE CLASS, (I REALLY LOVED IT) BUT TO THE HIRING PERSON IT IS ALL ABOUT THE EXPERIENCE. NOW I AM STUCK WITH A STUDENT LOAN AND NO JOB.AS MUCH AS I LOVED IT ,I WISH I HAD TAKEN PHARM. TECH. THERE REALLY ISN'T MUCH FOR MA'S, I WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER OFF WITH A CNA LICENSE LIKE A FEW FRIENDS OF MINE, THEY ALL HAVE JOBS AND GET PAID WELL.IF YOU REALLY CARE ABOUT PEOPLE AND YOU LOVE THE MEDICAL FIELD,GO IN FOR NURSING, I WISH I WERE YOUNGER AND KNEW WHAT I KNOW NOW IT IS EXACTLY WHAT I WOULD DO.
BEST OF LUCK TO ALL THE MA'S OUT THERE YOU WILL NEED IT.
STILL JOBLESS IN R.I.

Amelia Garcia in Whittier, California

71 months ago

Hi to all MA's
I too haven't found work out here in Whittier California, I'm not quite sure what it is but I think it's truly unfair. I've been told that I need to be Bilingual in spanish and a year experience.
yet a student that I Know got hired not having any experience but because she was spanish speaking was hired on the spot. Age I dont know if it's a factor but I think they look at it. I wish there was a blog for what Doctors or office managers look for because I think it's a form of discrimination for new grads any one agree?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Linda

71 months ago

I am interested in the field as well, I went to a interview yesterday and was told that the class would be $12,000, will take 9mths and financial aid would only pay for 9,000, I would have to come up with the balance of the money. This is at the Harris institute in Wilmington Delaware. Does this sound right???? Help!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michelle

71 months ago

Before you pay that kind of money to any college for any program of study, make sure they are accredited. What that means is that the particular school is recognized and accepted by AAMA as a legit school that provides the proper education for your program of study. Most places will not hire someone if they come from a college that is not accredited. Here is the site to see if your college is accredited.. www.caahep.org. AAMA is the organization that certifies Medical Assistants. Here is that site..
www.aama-ntl.org

Hope this helps.

Linda

71 months ago

Thanks Michelle, I just checked and the school is not on the list for either of the two. WOW!!!! I do feel better now!

Michelle

71 months ago

Michelle said: You have to make sure the school is CAAHEP accreditted. Go to AAMA website and it lists the schools that are accreditted. The website is AAMA~WTL.org. You can also report the school to the BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU.

This is the correct site. I gave the wrong one in the 1st reply. www.aama-ntl.org

Linda

71 months ago

Are you a MA??? If so, what are your thoughts??

Michelle

71 months ago

Linda said: Are you a MA??? If so, what are your thoughts??

Yes, I am a certified Medical Assistant. There are some places that like to train newcomers to their way instead of hiring experienced MAs because it is hard to break old habits. If you like interacting with people and are good at caregiving, it is a very rewarding job to be in. The thing to keep in mind though, is not to give up because it is a growing profession and in high demand. Doctor offices, urgent care centers and specialty offices (example: OB-Gyn) will hire an MA before they hire a nurse or RN because MAs are trained in a more broader range of duties. Also, if they hired an RN, they would have to hire more people to do other jobs that an MA can do. CMAs are trained in clerical and clinical aspects. I could point out a lot of things but then I may start rambling. :-) But feel free to ask me any questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle

71 months ago

By the way, if you are willing to travel a little from home, you could have better luck finding a job as an MA. If you are certified, you make more money. Where I am, they started me out at 13.50/hr. The average pay, depending on what part of the country you live in, is around 11.00/hr.

Linda

71 months ago

Michelle said: By the way, if you are willing to travel a little from home, you could have better luck finding a job as an MA. If you are certified, you make more money. Where I am, they started me out at 13.50/hr. The average pay, depending on what part of the country you live in, is around 11.00/hr.

Michelle, I was thinking about taking a 6 week CNA program for free to get through the door that way. I am undecided right now, looking with the job market so tight I rarely see anything in the paper or online for MA's in my city. Delaware Technical & Community College is the only accredited school here in delaware.

Michelle

71 months ago

That is definetly a good way to get your foot in the door, especially if its free. CNAs work hard for very little pay but it can be a way for you to network with other people and see what is in high demand for your area and which direction you want to go in the health field. Don't get discouraged.
Best of luck to you Linda! Don't give up!

Gam Gams in Muncie, Indiana

71 months ago

Here's a little something I learned and I asked the person in charge of the medical assistant program at Ivy Tech in Muncie Indiana. If your are or, are going to become an medical assistant. Make sure the school your attending is an accredited college such as Ivy Tech for instance if you go to Indiana Business college to become a medical assistant and then decide during or after your done that you want to be an LPN or an RN your prereqs and required classes will transfer to a bigger college or Ivy Tech. For instance A young lady that I shadowed on my externship, was a MA from Indiana Business college, however one hear after being in the workforce as an MA she decided that she wanted to go to Ivy Tech for the two year RN program. She is having to take all the the prereqs and all other classes over again that she has already had at IBC because the courses and book material was not from an accredited college. Not only was she upset, but stated to me she wishes she knew then what she knows now. Also, if you choose to go to Ivy Tech you can also apply for FASFA to pay for your schooling.

Dragua in Holland, Michigan

71 months ago

Amelia, yes I agree that the need to speak Spanish is bull$**t. I wonder if you'd have a case if they told you that to your face.

Gam Gams-true, but if you get FAFSA, then your school is accredited. If I don't get FAFSA, then I ask why. Your friend was stupid not to ask why she wasn't getting FAFSA. And as far as Phlebs go, they'd rather take someone off the street because we MA's have way too much experience and they prefer to pay someone less, at least in the part of Michigan I'm in.

71 months ago

AMELIA, HELLO! I JUST WANTED TO SAY, I'M WITH YOU ON THE SPANISH THING, I DON'T SPEAK IT BUT I DO SPEAK PORTUGESE, IT'S ON MY RESUME THEY TELL ME IT'S A GOOD THING, BUT NOT ENOUGH EXPERIENCE!!!WHERE I LIVE THERE ARE TONS OF PORT. PEOPLE BUT I STILL HAVEN'T GOT A JOB. I HAVE AN INTERVIEW TOMORROW FOR A PEDIACTRIC OFFICE. PLEASE WISH ME LUCK, I WILL LET EVERYONE KNOW HOW IT WENT.

70 months ago

Hi Mimi thank you for agreeing on the spanish thing and yes people have actually told me they need spanish speaking M.A.'s it's unfair because the schools should tell the students they wont get hired unless they speak spanish. They wont do that though because they're making money.
I wish you luck on your interview and let us know how it went!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Hi Dragua,
Yes I've had lots of employers tell me they cant hire me due to the fact I dont speak spanish! It really upsets me cause i feel like my schooling was a waste! so now I'm going to area's where the community isn't populated with spanish speaking people dont get me wrong now I'm hispanic but dont speak the language. I hope there's a doctor out there who'll give me a chance to work as an C.M.A. oh and by the way what exactly is FAFSA?

70 months ago

Dragua in Holland, Michigan said: Amelia, yes I agree that the need to speak Spanish is bull$**t. I wonder if you'd have a case if they told you that to your face.

Gam Gams-true, but if you get FAFSA, then your school is accredited. If I don't get FAFSA, then I ask why. Your friend was stupid not to ask why she wasn't getting FAFSA. And as far as Phlebs go, they'd rather take someone off the street because we MA's have way too much experience and they prefer to pay someone less, at least in the part of Michigan I'm in.

Hi Dragua,
Yes I've had lots of employers tell me they cant hire me due to the fact I dont speak spanish! It really upsets me cause i feel like my schooling was a waste! so now I'm going to area's where the community isn't populated with spanish speaking people dont get me wrong now I'm hispanic but dont speak the language. I hope there's a doctor out there who'll give me a chance to work as an C.M.A. oh and by the way what exactly is FAFSA?

Dragua in Holland, Michigan

70 months ago

Amelia Garcia in Whittier, California said: Hi Dragua,

I forget what all the letters stand for but it something Federal ??? Financial Student Aide..I'm pretty sure. It's when the government gives you financial help with your school funding. Guaranteed to get it, no co-signer needed, and you owe the Government money. Direct Loans, Subsidized, and Unsubsidized. If you can't get FAFSA, then you're not at an accredited school. Always ask if you can get FAFSA. Also, don't get your hearts set on Doctor's offices. Apply to Assisted Living Facilities. You're more on your own, they're not near as picky, and that's where we have a leg up on CNA's. We can read doctor's orders and amdinister drugs, shots, etc. CNA's can't do that. Thing is, you might have to do some cleaning of the place you're in, laundry, cooking, but I like doing it. I also love the people I care for. I'm in a group ALF with 13 residents. AND it'll get you the two or more years experience dealing with patients, handing out drugs, if you look the meds up in your PDR (we got one when we went to school) you'll be able to tell a little bit about them. Thing is I'm around the residents enough that I can tell when one hasn't taken his/her pills, how their general mood is, and a little bit of first aid. Check it out, it will give you some experience. And more than likely, maybe a little bit more experience with the death and dying process. That might be a bit of a plus. I was asked if I had experience with it.

CharlotteLVN in San Francisco, California

69 months ago

Michelle said: Doctor offices, urgent care centers and specialty offices (example: OB-Gyn) will hire an MA before they hire a nurse or RN because MAs are trained in a more broader range of duties. Also, if they hired an RN, they would have to hire more people to do other jobs that an MA can do. CMAs are trained in clerical and clinical aspects.

Nope. Ambulatory clinics hire MAs because they are too CHEAP to hire actual nurses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MarkUs in Bellevue, Washington

69 months ago

FAFSA = Free Application for Federal Student Aid

Yes, you need to attend an accredited institution to be eligible. BUT it is NOT "guarenteed" as someone else mentioned. You need to make below a certain income level (and it's not as low as some people think it is), and you need to get the application in ASAP after the first of the year. Aid is awarded first come-first serve.
Fill out the application, but it is not a "sure thing." Lots of people don't qualify or get very little financial assistance.

Samantha Davis in St. Clairsville, Ohio

69 months ago

Neurology office in need of a Medical Assistant ASAP in St. Clairsville Ohio. No experience necessary. Please respond by replying to this thread.

PMW0876 in Clayton, North Carolina

68 months ago

Michelle said: That is definetly a good way to get your foot in the door, especially if its free. CNAs work hard for very little pay but it can be a way for you to network with other people and see what is in high demand for your area and which direction you want to go in the health field. Don't get discouraged.
Best of luck to you Linda! Don't give up!

Is being certified through NHA going to be ok?

PMW0876 in Clayton, North Carolina

68 months ago

Also- I am going through the NCSTARS program which is "North Carolina State Training Accountability and Reporting System"
which gives you assistance (WIA) for people laid off.. However, the only programs they give in a short amount of time (being as how unemployment is soon to run out) they arent accrediated. Well the one I want to attend is PRE-accreditated, whatever that means. I have an appointment with the lady at Envisionary Health Care on Teusday.. What questions do I need to be asking? This will let you get certified through NHA but not AAMA... It looks like a great course, its in a good time frame for me and if its free.... then why not? I dont know, I am very confused on what to do. I need assistance with school but want to get a job after I go through with it too.. I am not down for taking the states money and taking a class just for the heck of it..... I have a three year old as well and a single mom so I dont really want to work full time and go to a two year degree and miss out on his life.. AND I dont have family up here to help me out... I want to mention I took CNA 6 years ago and retaking the test soon with an additional med tech class.. but want to do more..... Any help?

Amanda in Dallas, Texas

68 months ago

Hello everyone I am a CMA and graduated in Aug still dont have a job. I agree about the spainsh thing Im sure if I spoke sapinsh I would have a job. Its so not fair! I was a student ambassador, got award for "outstanding attendance", had a 3.6 GPA, made a 94% on my certification test but none of that matters they want experience or bilingual, if you dont have experience its only worth it for them to hire you if your bilingual.I have seen so many ads "prefer "bilingual or "bilingual a must" that is not equal oppurtunity. We should not have to loose out on jobs because people(most who are not suppose to be here)cant speak our language!Where is the equal oppurtunity America stands on in that? I am not racist by no means my children are hispainc/cacausion biracial. If anyone is racist the employers asking for bilingual are since they are basiclly replying they prefer someone hispanic! Theres got to be something we can do about this! Write to your senator's about equal opportunity not being applied!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Amelia in Whittier, California

68 months ago

Hi Amanda,
I totally agree with you on everything you said. Believe me I'm willing to do just that... I think if we get enough people to speak out...something will be done. I will get more information in regards to writing to our senator's obout equal opportunity.
Hopefully something can be done...I recently went on an interview and the dr. didn't seem to be interested in spanish speaking I'm hoping he'll hire me but I still need to get through 2 other Dr's so I'm waiting on the office manager to get back to me. Anyway good luck to you amanda and all other Ma's struggling in our Equal opportunity world. I wish you well.

Amelia in Whittier, California

68 months ago

Amanda in Dallas, Texas said: Hello everyone I am a CMA and graduated in Aug still dont have a job. I agree about the spainsh thing Im sure if I spoke sapinsh I would have a job. Its so not fair! I was a student ambassador, got award for "outstanding attendance", had a 3.6 GPA, made a 94% on my certification test but none of that matters they want experience or bilingual, if you dont have experience its only worth it for them to hire you if your bilingual.I have seen so many ads "prefer "bilingual or "bilingual a must" that is not equal oppurtunity. We should not have to loose out on jobs because people(most who are not suppose to be here)cant speak our language!Where is the equal oppurtunity America stands on in that? I am not racist by no means my children are hispainc/cacausion biracial. If anyone is racist the employers asking for bilingual are since they are basiclly replying they prefer someone hispanic! Theres got to be something we can do about this! Write to your senator's about equal opportunity not being applied!

Your right on the money with everything you said amanda...I'm right there with you...I've had a problem getting a job even just general employment! somethings not right I think our country needs to cater to it's citizens first! It makes me angry because I was an A student myself and perfectly capable of doing the work as a CMA. but the spanish deal has gotten in the way. It
just wrong!!

charity46 in Arnold, Missouri

68 months ago

I've been reading these messages and if I wasn't down about getting a job before, I sure am now. I was finished with my extern in Nov of 08, and haven't gotten a job yet. I feel for the people whose been looking a lot longer. I went to Allied Medical School for Medical Assistant. I am 56yrs old and I think I may have problem because of my age. But not giving up. Trying to stay positive. I have loans coming due in may and june. Already lost my house and living with older son, which he may be losing his home also. He worked for chrysler, which I'm sure you all have seen the news on them. Anyway, as far as my school, my teachers and others at school have been all very supportive. They also are sending my resume out to various places, I'm sure they can only do so much and rest is up to me. I have gotten a few calls, and one was not far from where I live, but only wanted to start me out at $8.00 hr. Can't do, I make more where I am at now working as cashier, $10.18 hr. Use to work full time but they knocked me down to part time because was going to school and couldn't open in morning. Been trying to get on full time again but things are slow. Had another interview not far away they were going to start me out at a little more then what I make now, but only part time for now. I didn't take it because have and time working things out with present job and tired of doing this part time thing. Talked to my school about it and they said even if it's part time should go with it so can get experience. With all thats going on here right now not thinking straight. They are right, should have tried to do that and maybe I would have gotten on full time sooner than expected. I also wold have gotten the experience. Could knock myself in head for not realizing it sooner.What I am saying, if you ma's out there get a chance at all to get in to get experience, don't do what I did. Take the opportunity and go with it. I guarantee if I get the chance again I won't make that mistake, again.

charity46 in Arnold, Missouri

68 months ago

Wasn't finish saying what had to say. Anyway, was also certified nurse aide for many years, but didn't update license. But being that did not help either. Well, good luck to all, keep trying. By the way, I had a few grants, but I have to pay back about $15,000. Good Luck !!!!!

ELIZABETH HERNANDEZ CARRION in Las Vegas, Nevada

68 months ago

IM GOING ON MY EXTERN AND IM SCARED.BUT HAVE FAITH IN MY SELF,AND WONT GIV UP IN WHAT I WANT.I DONT HAVE MY GED BUT I STRIVING TO GET IT .I WONT GIVE UP.BECAUSE AFTER I SPEND AT LEAST 2 YEARS IN THIS CARREAR.I WANT TO BE A SURGICAL TECH.AND BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY I WILL SUCCEED.

Gam Gams in Indianapolis, Indiana

68 months ago

Good for you keep up the positive attuide and you will succeed.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.