Medical assistant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (36)

Cassandra dulay in Portland, Oregon

88 months ago

I have recently graduated from pioneer pacific. Seeking for a job that requires no experience besides my extern. I might not have a lot of experience but i a am quick learner, people skills and more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Dumfries, Virginia

88 months ago

Actually as far as the Doctors office goes, cold calls are a
great way to get in. The worst thing you can be told is NO. I
have been a nurse for many years and have hired many MA's straight out of school from cold calls. Basically you will either be given a chance or not. You might have to make quite a few calls, but make sure you inquire to the office manager as well. I got my first job from a cold call and if your school cannot place you then you have to do it yourself. Professionalism is the key....sell yourself. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Job Search Dolphin in Tampa, Florida

88 months ago

Guide

Charlie in Warrenville, South Carolina said: Yes we know... in Tampa. But Tampa is a one horse town and you are "guiding" people who have experience in a far greater field than just a small town. You don't make a cold call to a Doctor at Mass general and ask for a friggin job.

The Tampa Bay Area is in the top 25 of statistical MSAs.
Maybe that's "one horse" compared to Boston, but not to a lot of other places.

Charlie, I may not have been clear. Calling Doctor's offices, not calling hospitals, is what I meant to state. Having tried to find out who to deal with at hospitals (that can be a complete and long waste of time,) I have found that folks in private practice offices ARE approachable by phone. Rarely do I speak to doctors; it's usually a practice manager, office manager or someone who is "in charge" of the office without a title. This methodology works!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tricia07 in shrewsbury, Massachusetts

88 months ago

here's a question for you:
what are my chances of getting hired right out school, and having a drug felony, with an incarcertion period of 4 years and many charactor letters, also a very long ontensive rehilation program.
please when answering this feel free to ask any questions and i will honestly answer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Guide

Tricia:
How long ago was your felony and incarceration?

Note: "Smaller" private practices, like smaller businesses, tend to be more flexible re: what they expect of a candidate. They are independent, so if they really like you and there's some time and distance since your felony, someone may give you a chance.

If you were to call doctor's offices, I'd be very honest about your background. As soon as you were speaking to someone who said "we do have something" or the like, I'd let them know about your history.

That way, you know up front if they'd consider you. Otherwise, you'll interview and just hope for the best; that could be very draining!

Regional clinics or national companies have standardized policies re: hiring - and my guess is that a felony will get in the way there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

THANK YOU so much for your advice. i'm going for it and i'm not going to stop untill i get where i WANT TO BE!

as for the incarceration well i was arrested march 2003 and was released march 2007. i know the road for me in this field is going to be very hard for me to get to where i want but if i get myself out there and start now, let people get to know me for who i am and not judge me on the decissions i've made in my past the sky will be the limit for me..

thank you again for the reply

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Dumfries, Virginia

88 months ago

Wow, I am appalled at the arrogance in some of these responses!
I imagine that someone with a history of drug abuse would probably have to seek a job where narcotics are not in the office. I can tell you as an RMA supervisor for many years,and having worked in many different offices, that most offices do not have narcotics on hand. Some family practice offices do, but they are under lock and key by the physician and
certainly not available to an MA. MAs cannot give injections of narcotics in most states. I would say it will be very difficult to get a job with this backround, however, the negative and very insulting comments on this site are really quite astonishing. Making fun of someone for misspelling a word? I worked for an office a few years ago that would hire you regardless of drug history as long as you passed a current drug test. The employer I work for now will hire someone with a drug history as long as they have a follicle test (that goes back 5 years) and the potential employee has to pay for it. It is quite pricey. There are always options. Anyone can reinvent themselves and become a wonderful contributing member
of our society, to include the medical field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

all i want to say is thank you for being realistic, yet nonjudgemental. i appreciate yours words of encouragement and will reach for the sky in all circumstances in my life! i have aqnd will continue to become my dream! what do they say? "you can't take a good woman down"

thank you
tricia

ps. hope i spelled everything right!
lol:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Guide

tricia07 in shrewsbury, Massachusetts said: all i want to say is thank you for being realistic, yet nonjudgemental. i appreciate yours words of encouragement and will reach for the sky in all circumstances in my life! i have aqnd will continue to become my dream! what do they say? "you can't take a good woman down"

thank you
tricia

ps. hope i spelled everything right!
lol:)

Good luck in your search!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mshortie2cute@aol.com

82 months ago

I have a summary charge is that stopping me from getting a Medical Assistant job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Quantico, Virginia

82 months ago

What is a summary charge?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

monica in Modesto, California

80 months ago

Wow I just started medical assisting school and I absolutely love it. It's fast paced and you learn what you need to know for the career you want to take. I was concerned about my drug felony and let me tell you this info has made my stomach settle down. I am going to have to pay 10,000.00 back and I would be devastated if it was for nothing. So thanks for all the info and good advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

neena in San Francisco, California

79 months ago

hi i am a MA graduated in 2006. looking for job in san jose i have 6 months experience beside my externship any openings in the area contact me at 408-854-2122.. thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DENITRA in Tampa, Florida

76 months ago

Good Luck to all of you. I myself did time, 31 months in prison.I'm a M.A and I have a job,I was BLESSED with a wonderful boss, her name is DR. Nadine American-Thomas.She held me a position at her practice until i got out.Got out in Feb 1,07 went to work Feb 2,07, and yes anythings possible if you believe in GOD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sahm in Orono, Maine

68 months ago

I have a misdemeanor for misuse of identification. I made a collect phone call using my roommate's debit card. It came to 8 dollars. I didn't go to jail and I paid the fine and the restitution. Is this going to stop me from getting a job as a medical assistant? It was a stupid thing I did, I never thought it was going to cause me so many problems :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

mcog in Goodlettsville, Tennessee

68 months ago

It shouldn't as long as you can provide proof of the situation. Have you tried to have it removed from yur record?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

monzelle

68 months ago

Cassandra dulay in Portland, Oregon said: I have recently graduated from pioneer pacific. Seeking for a job that requires no experience besides my extern. I might not have a lot of experience but i a am quick learner, people skills and more.

I live in louisville ky, but I am from Nashville,TN I pray that you get a job. Do you pray ask god keep using your people skills that will help you. Stay positive I understand it is hard you are ready to work. Do some networking ask around because TN salary pay a lot more for Medical Asst then louisville.

rose1 in Independence, Kentucky

64 months ago

Yes, I have 2 been where any ex-offender has been, in and out and I have finally straitened my life out with positive people around me and a loving GOD, I will be out of MA school shortly and hope there's a chance for me to make it in the medical field, i was a nursing asst for 5 years before I got into trouble and i was very young and nieve, and pray for all people who want to better themselves, day by day is how we have to take it and believing in ourselves and being confident that we can overcome our past it doesn't have to determine our future. GOD BLESS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Amaly in Dearborn, Michigan

62 months ago

I live in Michigan,I have more than 31 college credit in US ,I am fluent in both Arabic and English languages,read and write both The only work experience I have from IR. I am looking for a job in doctor office or in school.any advice pleas !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ADEBAYO in Levittown, New York

62 months ago

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADEVICE,I REALLY APPRECIATE IT.I GUESS I SHOULD BE OK WITH THIS.THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS YOU ALL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Layton. in Sandy, Utah

61 months ago

Good evening, From reading your posting I would suggest trying to go down to the local courthouse and see how you would go about getting that taken off your record. From my past experiences that employers lke it when a person is honest with them up front. It will look good for you in the long run. If you trust in God all things are possible. Never give up there is a job out there for everybody and good luck to you. I hope this helped.
Happy Thanksgiving.

adebayo in Brooklyn, New York

61 months ago

thank you so much fo.r your confort,i really appriciate that, God Bless you all

miss joy in Hampton, Virginia

61 months ago

Hi, My name is Joy. In June 2006 I was convicted of DUI & simple assault & battery (on law enforcement). Is it possible that I may obtain employment in a private physician office? I for a fact that long-term care facilites and hospitals are out. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

molleasses in Renton, Washington

60 months ago

tricia said: well excuse me for mis-spelling!!!!!
however i am interested in the field because its been a life long dream...not because i want to be near drugs, wake up if that was still my life i could get them anywhere surely not have to pay 15,000 to get cert. to get close to them, an you had the nerve to make comment on my spelling,,,whats with your judgement...i am going to make it in this field and you'll be the one in the er needing me to help you!

i hope you have a great night..
tricia

Wow. I know of a few R.N.'s that have gone from job to job, quite obviously for stealing narcotics, but because of the nursing code of ethics, they cannot mention it or discredit the nurse on a recommendation. Now, I think that there are probably plenty of recovering addicts in the medical field, and as long as you can pass a drug test, have successfully completed a rehabilitation program, and have references, you would have a chance. I know that it is hard in Washington state to get certified with any felonies, it's a case by case decision. But, as a recovering addict myself, and someone who absolutey adores the medical field, and was a straight A student thru my 2 years in Med. Asst. classes, I really hate to hear such a negative response from someone in the field. We have compassion and empathy in areas some people can never comprehend or administer. How narrow minded can a person get. I would hate to have this person caring for me, when I was sick or otherwise. Best of luck to you, I'm rooting for you!!!
Takes one to know one....

d rey510 in Hayward, California

58 months ago

I have a misdemaenor for domestic violence. I was just charged about a month ago for this crime that was in the process. during the time frame where i had no charged yet i went to school for 6 months and finished a program to become a MA with my cert. I am now charged and paying court fines for this and will be on proba. for 5 years.

I want to know is it impossible to find a job that will allow this on my background check? does anyone know if Kaiser or any other big medical office will allow a misdemaeor ?

Matt in Layton. in Salt Lake City, Utah

58 months ago

d rey510 in Hayward, California said: I have a misdemaenor for domestic violence. I was just charged about a month ago for this crime that was in the process. during the time frame where i had no charged yet i went to school for 6 months and finished a program to become a MA with my cert. I am now charged and paying court fines for this and will be on proba. for 5 years.

I want to know is it impossible to find a job that will allow this on my background check? does anyone know if Kaiser or any other big medical office will allow a misdemaeor ?

Hi there, I would be honest with any employer that you get an interview with. Its going to take a lot of hard work to get cleared off your record but there is someone that take a chance with you. Good luck...

NAOMI in Romeoville, Illinois

54 months ago

I WILL BE COMPLETING MY MA PROGRAM IN 2 MONTHS AND I HAVE A RETAIL THEFT CHARGE IM STARTING TO THINK THAT IT'S GOING TO BE IMPOSSIBLE TO GET A JOB AS AN M.A. IS THERE ANYONE THAT KNOWS AN M.A. WITH THE SAME CHARGE THAT WAS ABLE TO GET A JOB BECAUSE IT WILL BE HORRIBLE TO HAVE TO PAY 15,000 BACK AND NOT BE ABLE TO USE WHAT I LEARNED ANYWHERE

Matt, NCMA in Salt Lake City, Utah

54 months ago

NAOMI in Romeoville, Illinois said: I WILL BE COMPLETING MY MA PROGRAM IN 2 MONTHS AND I HAVE A RETAIL THEFT CHARGE IM STARTING TO THINK THAT IT'S GOING TO BE IMPOSSIBLE TO GET A JOB AS AN M.A. IS THERE ANYONE THAT KNOWS AN M.A. WITH THE SAME CHARGE THAT WAS ABLE TO GET A JOB BECAUSE IT WILL BE HORRIBLE TO HAVE TO PAY 15,000 BACK AND NOT BE ABLE TO USE WHAT I LEARNED ANYWHERE

Hi there, Why would you steal in the first place? You should be honest with them up front. Alot of employers will think you might wind up doing it again. How did you get into school in the first place? If you get hired some place they will be watching you very closely. They might not let you do certain things like give injections. You might want to see about getting that crime taken off your record and than you will have to work very hard to never do this again. When a person becomes a Medical Assistant they are responsible for for many different things, and you must be honest with everyone including patients as well your fellow co-workers. And most you have to be honest with yourself. I hope that helped and good luck in your journey.

Justcurious in Martinsburg, West Virginia

51 months ago

Is it possible to get hired at a hospital with a DUI charge,a false pretenses, and a domestic which are all misdemeanors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Matt, NCMA in South Jordan, Utah

51 months ago

Justcurious in Martinsburg, West Virginia said: Is it possible to get hired at a hospital with a DUI charge,a false pretenses, and a domestic which are all misdemeanors.

Hi there, I was looking at this posting of yours and I have to admit, I don't know if can get hired anywhere. The only thing that comes to mind is go down to your local courthouse and see what you would have to do about getting that taken off your record. When you go for an interview be honest with employers up front about your past and how long ago it was, and also where you live can make a big difference. I hope this has helped you in some way and God bless you.

ilinnerst in Jacksonville, Florida

49 months ago

Michelle in Dumfries, Virginia said: Actually as far as the Doctors office goes, cold calls are a
great way to get in. The worst thing you can be told is NO. I
have been a nurse for many years and have hired many MA's straight out of school from cold calls. Basically you will either be given a chance or not. You might have to make quite a few calls, but make sure you inquire to the office manager as well. I got my first job from a cold call and if your school cannot place you then you have to do it yourself. Professionalism is the key....sell yourself. Good luck.

That's a great idea. Cold calls do work. It did for me years ago, but I haven't thought of it for MA position. The site I did my externship only uses students and was not hiring, so I am in the same boat as the rest of you. I sent out hundreds resumes on line and through the mail no hits. I am currently volunteering at a hospital one day a week so that my skills and my nerve will be kept warm. I will start right away physically visiting doctor's offices, making phone calls and asking around. As you said, the worse that can happen is that they will say "No", then I'll move on to the next one. I hope all the rest of you out there and myself, much success in landing our position as an MA.

dawn in Middletown, New York

45 months ago

I was recently let go from a job as a med. assistant ,There reason was I dont have experiance I beleave it was much more then that They did know i just got done with school an internship,so after saying that, when I recived my 1st check the never told me I wasnt getting paid for 29 hours of trianing, They never even did a backround our drug test an I was working with newborns an small children is that ok, there is much more too this but need a response on this part !st

Verygood in Plymouth, Indiana

45 months ago

Looking to get into a job as a Medical Assistant. Recently recevd my 1 yr. medical certificate, but not having to much luck in finding work... have sent resume many many places, even will begin at the bottom, but no leads yet... worried... has anyone else had problem getting their foot in the door to start out ? Lost in Indiana

Leynn in York, Pennsylvania

4 months ago

I have a misdemeanor in retail theft, it happened last year, 2013. I am currently in school , taking up MA. I absolutely LOVE it!! I was on the ARD program, but Screwed that over because I was constantly having police contact & then i had gotten arrested for disorderly conduct . smh!! sooo of course I had gotten my ass kicked off the program! I just want to know if there is any other help , like expungement programs in PA or close by like Maryland or whatever....?? & I also want to know if I can get into a private doctor or something very similar ..or probably like jail's & stuff ? PLEAAASSEEEEE HEELPPPP ME!! HELP ME!! I cannot even sleep knowing that this is on my mind !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tonya in Plymouth, Indiana

4 months ago

Verygood in Plymouth, Indiana said: Looking to get into a job as a Medical Assistant . Recently recevd my 1 yr. medical certificate, but not having to much luck in finding work... have sent resume many many places, even will begin at the bottom, but no leads yet... worried... has anyone else had problem getting their foot in the door to start out ? Lost in Indiana

Having same problem. Been 2 yrs since graduated. Went to CNA work. Very sad & spent money for education. $24,000, at crummy Brown Mackie college. What a kick in the butt.

Jennifer82 in Statesboro, Georgia

14 days ago

I have a question, my mother has two DUI's that happened over 15 years ago. She would like to go to school for a medical profession like hospice. She wants to help take care of people. When she went to a tech school they told her she has no chance. Is this true? Any advice would be helpful, thank you!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.