My externship

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

nwjerry in Cabot, Arkansas

58 months ago

I just finished my MA training at Remington college in Little Rock, AR.
Placement finally found me a place to be an extern in a walk in facility near my home. The facility saw 92 patients my first day. The average 55-80. Only one ck-in and one ck-out position. The first day I observed. Second day I got to work ck-out some and fax work. Third day I observed and worked ck-in some. Morning of fourth day I was fired. " You are not fast enough, we need someone to take over our office in ------- tomorrow." I thought an externship was to work four weeks in a learning environment, no pay, to prepare for a real job. One of the college advisers was there having been told ahead of time of my firing. As we walked out, she said, "Maybe you should consider another field." I was on the Dean's list, graduated with a 3.8, never late, missed two days total in 7 months, One for my son's wedding out of state, the other sick.
I feel the place of employment did not give me a chance considering the volume of patients and short time of practice work I had. The day of my interview, I got there 10 minutes early and the interviewer forgot the interview and was out of town. Never did I receive an apology for that. Do we have any rights of recourse in things of this nature. Any agencies that I can talk to. School will not talk to me for two days. I am really frustrated. I was trained to work lab, shots, blood draws, etc. never once did I do this at place of my externship. CO

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

1 little victory in North Little Rock, Arkansas

57 months ago

Hi how is everything? I was just thinking of taking this course @ Remington college MA training.I' have worked in a medical office before but not near as may patients.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ruth in Springfield, Missouri

57 months ago

nwjerry in Cabot, Arkansas said: I just finished my MA training at Remington college in Little Rock, AR.
Placement finally found me a place to be an extern in a walk in facility near my home. The facility saw 92 patients my first day. The average 55-80. Only one ck-in and one ck-out position. The first day I observed. Second day I got to work ck-out some and fax work. Third day I observed and worked ck-in some. Morning of fourth day I was fired. " You are not fast enough, we need someone to take over our office in ------- tomorrow." I thought an externship was to work four weeks in a learning environment, no pay, to prepare for a real job. One of the college advisers was there having been told ahead of time of my firing. As we walked out, she said, "Maybe you should consider another field." I was on the Dean's list, graduated with a 3.8, never late, missed two days total in 7 months, One for my son's wedding out of state, the other sick.
I feel the place of employment did not give me a chance considering the volume of patients and short time of practice work I had. The day of my interview, I got there 10 minutes early and the interviewer forgot the interview and was out of town. Never did I receive an apology for that. Do we have any rights of recourse in things of this nature. Any agencies that I can talk to. School will not talk to me for two days. I am really frustrated. I was trained to work lab, shots, blood draws, etc. never once did I do this at place of my externship. CO

Really sorry for what happened. It didn't seem right; they knew your were fresh out of school.
I graduated a few years ago as a Medical Assistant, took the Registration Exam, and to this day have never found a position in the Medical Field. But school was too expensive to just give up, so I keep trying.
By the way, your post caught my interest, because at my externship either. I didn't do much either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.