Should Medical Assistants have a Lincense to practice under their scope of practice?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 98 of 98)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

Gentry in Kingsland, Georgia

58 months ago

In addition, for the MA claiming to be able to make in the area of $40 hr if licensed...no, the rest of the country is not underpaid because MA's make in the area of $30k a year give or take. If you found that, you are in dual roles with a private practice that doesn't know how over paid you are, yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rolinda in Chula Vista, California

58 months ago

ptabby in Jackson Heights, New York said: Thanks for the information, but it is a little bit off. I live in NYC and I was in L.A. before..two of the BIGGEST cities in the U.S.A. The pay in L.A. averaged around $10/hr to start and NYC averages at $15/hr to start. That's barely hitting the 30k mark, so I find it hard to believe that other places are doing that much better. Perhaps with experience a MA can make 40k.

Hi ptabby, The MA salary information I provided above is specific to Memphis, TN and acquired from this site, Indeed.com. According to the information I copied and pasted below, you are correct. The median annual wage-and-salary for Medical Assistants was $28,300 in May 2008. I hope this helps. Good journey.

United States Department of Labor
Bureau of Labor Statistics
Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition

Earnings About this section
The earnings of medical assistants vary, depending on their experience, skill level, and location. Median annual wages of wage-and-salary medical assistants were $28,300 in May 2008. The middle 50 percent earned between $23,700 and $33,050. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $20,600, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $39,570. Median annual wages in the industries employing the largest numbers of medical assistants in May 2008 were:

General medical and surgical hospitals $29,720
Colleges, universities, and professional schools 28,820
Offices of physicians 28,710
Outpatient care centers 28,570
Offices of other health practitioners 25,240

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

rolinda in San Diego, California said: Education and training. Medical assisting programs are offered in vocational-technical high schools, postsecondary vocational schools, and community and junior colleges. Postsecondary programs usually last either 1 year and result in a certificate or diploma, or 2 years and result in an associate degree. Courses cover anatomy, physiology, and medical terminology, as well as keyboarding, transcription, recordkeeping, accounting, and insurance processing. Students learn laboratory techniques, clinical and diagnostic procedures, pharmaceutical principles, the administration of medications, and first aid. They study office practices, patient relations, medical law, and ethics. ...
Formal training in medical assisting, while generally preferred, is not required. Many medical assistants are trained on the job, and usually only need to have a high school diploma or the equivalent. Recommended high school courses include mathematics, health, biology, keyboarding, bookkeeping, computers, and office skills...

While this is true, in context, it does not mean anything specific. Many, Many other occupations in the health care field cover these very courses.
**Just because you learn it does not mean it is within your scope**
Every one of the certs or licenses or diploma cover only a certain limit to what you, me or anyone is meant to discuss, touch, advise, etc. and if we all paid any attention at all, we know this. Just because I know what Coumadin does, the contraindications and what makes it necessary doesn't make me a pharmacist, RN or an LPN and my knowledge does not ever permit me to discuss it with a patient. It is simply not my job, and I break the law to do so.
Though I do understand the point that is being made here.

Unless someone owned a school, was on the board or ran CEU coursework, I fail to see why licensing is such a sought after agenda by the professional...it is actually quite contradictory <g>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Sacramento, California

58 months ago

~rose~ in Corona, New York said: You can try to get around it in as many forms as possible. If you want the pay, respect, stability, and job opportunities- you need to apply to nursing school. Unfortunately it really IS that simple.
Right now the economy is suffering. Nurses are being paid a lot less because foreign nurses are being brought in. What makes you think MA salaries are going to rise? Quite the contrary.

It's not that easy! There's a lottery for students who want to go to nursing school in my area. It can take up to 2 years before you can even start school. Im a MA who has worked in a ER for over a year, and there are MA's who deserve better pay. There are front office MA's who answer a lot of phones and dont get the respect they deserve from people like YOU. I have safed numerous peoples lives in the ER, so dont say we have to be a nurse to get respect. I was making 9 an hours which is pretty bad, but i love helping people so i kept on doing it. EMT's and Paramedic's deserve better pay to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

~rose~ in Jackson Heights, New York

58 months ago

Matt in Sacramento, California said: It's not that easy! There's a lottery for students who want to go to nursing school in my area. It can take up to 2 years before you can even start school. Im a MA who has worked in a ER for over a year, and there are MA's who deserve better pay. There are front office MA's who answer a lot of phones and dont get the respect they deserve from people like YOU. I have safed numerous peoples lives in the ER, so dont say we have to be a nurse to get respect. I was making 9 an hours which is pretty bad, but i love helping people so i kept on doing it. EMT's and Paramedic's deserve better pay to.

Oh I know it's not easy. For nursing programs there are about 100 applicants competing for one seat. Nursing is a TOUGH field. Nursing school is EXTREMELY stressful and will quickly weed out those not strong enough to make it.

I realize that you have "safed" numerous lives & I am curious to know where you read that I implied one must be a nurse in order to gain respect. I agree that MANY professions deserve better pay...not just Medical Assisting. Nurses are FAR underpaid...teachers are underpaid..etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Gentry in Kingsland, Georgia said: While this is true, in context, it does not mean anything specific. Many, Many other occupations in the health care field cover these very courses.
**Just because you learn it does not mean it is within your scope**
Every one of the certs or licenses or diploma cover only a certain limit to what you, me or anyone is meant to discuss, touch, advise, etc. and if we all paid any attention at all, we know this. Just because I know what Coumadin does, the contraindications and what makes it necessary doesn't make me a pharmacist, RN or an LPN and my knowledge does not ever permit me to discuss it with a patient. It is simply not my job, and I break the law to do so.
Though I do understand the point that is being made here.

Unless someone owned a school, was on the board or ran CEU coursework, I fail to see why licensing is such a sought after agenda by the professional...it is actually quite contradictory <g>

Hi Gentry, I agree with you. It is intended only as comparative information. As a Licensed (RCP)Respiratory Care Practitioner/(RT)Respiratory Therapist in the field for nearly 13 years, I am aware of the similarities and I value our differences as professionals. Individually, we contribute our own unique style, knowledge and skills to the healthcare team. I appreciate the prompt response from the RNs I work with when I called for help as my patient started to crash. It was a good outcome and a positive experience. We work well together. In reality, higher education and earning a degree increases salary, not licensure. A license allows the professional autonomy, while also increasing responsibilities, accountability and liability and creates extra costs, such as license renewal fees and (CEU)Continuing Education Unit costs. I wish everyone well. Good journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Matt, NCMA in Salt Lake City, Utah

58 months ago

rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: Hi Gentry, I agree with you. It is intended only as comparative information. As a Licensed (RCP)Respiratory Care Practitioner/(RT)Respiratory Therapist in the field for nearly 13 years, I am aware of the similarities and I value our differences as professionals. Individually, we contribute our own unique style, knowledge and skills to the healthcare team. I appreciate the prompt response from the RNs I work with when I called for help as my patient started to crash. It was a good outcome and a positive experience. We work well together. In reality, higher education and earning a degree increases salary, not licensure. A license allows the professional autonomy, while also increasing responsibilities, accountability and liability and creates extra costs, such as license renewal fees and (CEU)Continuing Education Unit costs. I wish everyone well. Good journey.

Hi Rolinda, I just wanted to say hello, and to let you know our little friend from Florida who is a few french fries short of a happy meal is back. I agree with you all the way. I know each when I go to renew my CMA Rectification that it costs me $77.00 and than I have to have 14 CEU credits and than you take a test after each on line course just for your renewal, and top of that you need a score of 70% or greater. I'm thankful I can go back to school to make myself a better CMA. Have a good evening.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Feeling unappreciated and under paid is not uncommon. It is found in every profession. Here's an example:

Karen in Centereach, New York

2 hours ago
Back in the day a hygienist was regarded as a professional.Over the years the dentists and assistants have taken advantage of us. Most offices do not require the assistant to help the hygienist with anything. So the hygienist has to clean her room after every pt, set up the tray with instruments, place used instr. in the ultasoinc, then bag them, and see to it they make it into the sterilizer. On top of that they need to make sure their room is stocked with supplies even if the assistant is standing around b.s.ing on her cell. God forbid we bother them for something throughout the course of the day.30 years ago when I was an assistant,I had to do everything. The hygienist was a princess. I'm not saying I want to be a princess, I would just like a little respect as a professional. In addition to all that we have to deal with the assistants attitudes, the office managers mood swings, and of course the crazy dentists we all work for.All they are interested in is the bottom line, how much money can you make me. We have to deal with the "front desk girl" not filling your schedule when there is a cancellation, which often results in the hygienist going home early, hence a smaller paycheck that week.It's always the hygienists fault not matter what the issue is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Del in Odessa, Texas
20 months ago
I've been an RN for 25 years.I worked the county hospital and most of my career was spent in home health 20 years after leaving the hospital due to working 18,20,21 hours a day (yes within a 24 hour period)We had a shortage then,still have shortages and this will never change.My base pay back in the 80's was 12.00/hr with shift diff.of 50 cents,75 cents for charge nurse with a full floor of 36 patients,one charge nurse(RN)two LVN's and no CNA,three patients sent to our floor with vents,M.D.ordering a one on one(HA!HA!HA!),neuro patients requiring neuro checks q 30 min,sx,blood transfusions out the kazoo for post ortho hip,...I could go on and on and yes this was one floor one night,but other floors were just as bad.We were walking zombies.I was in constant stress fearful that a patient would die due to no staff,not getting the appropriate care,so I quit.Went to work for a home health agency for the next twenty years.Not bad,but then again I and everyone else worked 15,20,24 hours/day.Doing what?Paper work,on call,seeing 17 patients from morning till night in their homes,falling asleep in your uniform at the table trying to finish all your required paperwork and admissions by the next day,making $30.00 a vist,more on admissions,but when I broke it down,all I was making was 3.56/hr.Became a supervisor,salaried,no raise for 8 years,informed them I was quitting,received a raise,another 6 years went by,no raise,no medical insurance,no retirement plan and half my life with not having a life.I quit a year ago due to other reasons(after a drunk DON became psycho)not the first one like this over years.They would eventually get fired,but this was the straw that broke the camels back.I love patient care,teaching,etc.and I know there is some good employers out there,but I'm tired and ready to move on to another career,yet I still have the urge to nurse.I never discourage anyone going into nursing.It is all politics and greed for the BIG BO

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Sorros in Chandler, Arizona

2 days ago

Happy With Decision in Miami Beach, Florida said: Do you want a job you go to in the morning and while you are positioning a film for a portable your feet a slipping on the floor because you are standing in a pile of snot? Do you want to walk into the department in the morning and see stretchers lined up with patients in the fetal position waiting for you to do a barium enema on them? Is dealing with spoiled, arrogant doctors that have no life experiences other than school and their profession what you might enjoy? Can you appreciate doing endless unnecessary exams for legal purposes, incompetence, enrichment? Do you enjoy an environment with constant pressure and with zero tolerance for error where the impossible is asked of you x-raying patients that are injured, in horrible shape, insane, drunk? Do you think you might like breathing the same air with people infected with TB, Aids, Hepatitis, Flu, while at the same time you are getting zapped in the face with radiation for hours on end each week, then sign up. The good news is you probably won't find a job for a while because the market is so over saturated. But when you do get the job you will have to accept the lowest pay scale because there will always be someone else that will work for less than you.

This is the absolute truth! The radioplogy profession has become changed unbelievibly in the past decade. Every statrement made here is true and even worse in some cases. Technologist are rushed stressed and abused daily. if you complain your are replaced with a stude4nt who can't find a job that will work for beans.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

kns305 in Xenia, Ohio

10 months ago
I've only been an RT for 6 years. Yet I can agree with all the things that others have mentioned. With the little respect we recieve, we often get disenheartened. I consider respiratory care to be specialized care. Our focus is on the patient. We make less and get paid less than some RN's, especially where I work. At my hospital we have to do EKG's in addition to other therapy. It can be quite annoying when you're in the middle of doing rounds. The hospital has also decided to close down our maternity ward. We have always kept more staff because of this. Speculation has gone around that now that those services won't be there, why have extra staff. Nightshift has only 2 therapists. We ask ourselves, "Would they really cut the staff down to 1 therapist to save a buck and risk patient safety." Unfortunately, money holds the authority.

58 months ago

Above are more examples of employees feeling unappreciated and under paid.

58 months ago

Hello Rolinda, I loved your posting stated above, I remember my CNA days in the hospital setting, we were always short handed all the time. I will say this I would rather work a hospital over a nursing home any day. Like you said above those hours would kill you. I used the graveyard shift from 19:00-07:30 most a lot longer than that, I was never getting any sleep and after 2 years of not being myself health-wise I couldn't take it anymore. That's why I went on to become a CMA, I have my Diploma in Medical Assisting. I'm just finishing up my Associates Degree in Medical Assisting, I will be done later on this summer. I'm enjoying my classes right now and I love learning. Ihope you have a nice evening.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Matt, NCMA in Salt Lake City, Utah said: Hello Rolinda, I loved your posting stated above, I remember my CNA days in the hospital setting, we were always short handed all the time. I will say this I would rather work a hospital over a nursing home any day. Like you said above those hours would kill you. I used the graveyard shift from 19:00-07:30 most a lot longer than that, I was never getting any sleep and after 2 years of not being myself health-wise I couldn't take it anymore. That's why I went on to become a CMA, I have my Diploma in Medical Assisting. I'm just finishing up my Associates Degree in Medical Assisting, I will be done later on this summer. I'm enjoying my classes right now and I love learning. Ihope you have a nice evening.

Sorry about any misspelling's, It's late.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

58 months ago

Matt, NCMA in Salt Lake City, Utah said: Hi Rolinda, I just wanted to say hello, and to let you know our little friend from Florida who is a few french fries short of a happy meal is back. I agree with you all the way. I know each when I go to renew my CMA Rectification that it costs me $77.00 and than I have to have 14 CEU credits and than you take a test after each on line course just for your renewal, and top of that you need a score of 70% or greater. I'm thankful I can go back to school to make myself a better CMA. Have a good evening.

Hi Matt, Please do not allow anyone to steal your joy. I will share something my coworker's adorable 3 year old son said "You hurt my happy heart". Aaahh......how cute!, and how profound. I read a book by Don Miguel Ruiz....The Four Agreements, which I find helpful. The First Agreement: Be Impeccable with Your Word, The Second Agreement: Don't Take Anything Personal, The Third Agreement: Don't Make Assumptions and The Fourth Agreement: Always Do Your Best. For me, it is difficult to stay consistent with the second and third agreements. I'll keep working on it. Yes, maintaining a License is costly. Continue with your good works Matt. Plant those seeds. Good journey.

smoore7382

58 months ago

Absolutely, I have 18 yrs experience, with limited xray lic as well as my ceritifcation in IV, BLS, ACSP,Associated Degree, Certified CLIA/HIPPA Officer,CEU, Professional Standards, Hospital Privelges at 3 Local,to Round and others. You are correct with stating they do pay for experience. So my accomplishments: I can state my price..- So you are correct with this I so Make upper $40 Yearly and Actually I have for several years. Thank you for the information you submitted.
Respectfully
smoore

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

smoore7382

58 months ago

Gentry in Kingsland, Georgia said: Hard to keep everything straight with all the browbeating.
I think anyone who is in direct patient care should be licensed.
Licensing does not, I am sorry to say, lead to a huge pay increase. Not sure how anyone got that idea.
It does; however, lead to Liabilities, and compliance with ethics and laws that without it, would make tracking an offender more difficult. Oh, and CEU's which are both expensive and time consuming, will become a part of your annual or semi annual activities, assuming you might not have actual fees to pay, to keep that license you wanted to have.

I feel sorry for anyone who believes that their role is more important than anyone elses, with or without a license. There is some overlap in education for a reason, and it's not meant to replace another, but to be able to work together. Repeat, work together.
The fact that an (MA, CNA, whatever) can identify certain conditions does not mean an (MA, CNA, whatever) can treat that condition, just like not every doctor can treat every condition, even if he knows what it is.
How on earth does an MA suddenly believe they can do LPN work? Do you have any idea how much more pathology is involved with their training or pharmacology? Confidence is good, but EGO is just plain ignorance.

Gentry,
Thank you and I believe my message was beat down. My Goal for CMA or RCMA to be license began with each persons Accountibity due to the nature of the job Example: I worked in a Family Practice Clinical Unit, another MA, one particular MD signed scripts,attached to chart,for us to completed according to documentation,during one clinical session I picked up a personal book of MA I was working w/she had on counter, 3 scripts fell to floor.I picked them up and noticed they were sign by this MD we were working with,the MA wrote herself 3 Narcotics,Diet-Drug,Nursing Manager investigated Ma terminated,Two days later MA went to work next door for another MD-

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

smoore7382

58 months ago

continued, This MA just moved to another office with out ANY accountibilty for her actions. If she were Lic then notification would have been made and she would be ACCOUNTABLE FOR HER ACTIONS.
However there are several situations I have come across even with Patient Care Issues. The list goes on.
I am glad you understand why I am so passionate about our state Mandating that MA be LIC, Here if you are a CNA- The state gives you Either Cert or lic, and your Professional Standards are Followed.
Thanks Again
Respectfully,
smoore

58 months ago

Matt, NCMA in Salt Lake City, Utah said: Hello Rolinda, I loved your posting stated above, I remember my CNA days in the hospital setting, we were always short handed all the time. I will say this I would rather work a hospital over a nursing home any day. Like you said above those hours would kill you. I used the graveyard shift from 19:00-07:30 most a lot longer than that, I was never getting any sleep and after 2 years of not being myself health-wise I couldn't take it anymore. That's why I went on to become a CMA, I have my Diploma in Medical Assisting. I'm just finishing up my Associates Degree in Medical Assisting, I will be done later on this summer. I'm enjoying my classes right now and I love learning. Ihope you have a nice evening.

Hi Matt, My intention is to open/expand the window some of these MAs are looking through. Feeling unappreciated and under paid is not exclusive to Medical Assistants. Working 12 or more hour shifts in a Hospital environment while consistently short staffed with an increasing workload is fast paced and stressful. Our patients are very ill and we are responsible for all of them. We care for critically ill ventilator patients. We cover all units....ER/ED, ICU, NICU, PEDs, etc., answer STAT pages for EKGs, (ABGS)Arterial Blood Gases, (TXs)Treatments, etc. Not to mention the codes we run to and participate in are very intense. Keeps us on our toes. The Hospital environment is much more demanding and very different than the Physicians' Office or Clinic setting. Stay focused Matt. I know you will do well. Good journey.

smoore7382

58 months ago

Education and training. Medical assisting programs are offered in postsecondary vocational schools,community and junior colleges. Postsecondary programs usually last either 1 year and result certificate or diploma, or 2 years and result in an associate degree. Courses cover anatomy, physiology,medical terminology,also keyboarding, transcription,accounting,insurance processing. Students learn laboratory techniques with extensive LAB training, clinical,diagnostic procedures, pharmaceutical principles, administration of medications,BLS.Study office practices, patient relations, medical law,ethics. There are two accrediting bodies that accredit medical assisting programs. Accredited programs often include an internship that provides practical experience in physicians' offices or other healthcare facilities with 65 Clinical Hours Required. However, still no Professional Monitering. The above agencies do not provide this.Formal training in medical assisting, while generally preferred,IS NOT REQ.(It should be given your daily Task) SOME are trained on the job,usually with high school diploma or the equivalent.Medical assistants who are trained on the job usually spend their first few months attending training sessions and working closely with more experienced workers.
This is my projected conclucsion to my Experience, Education, Research and most importantly my Personal Experience in the Field of Medical Assisting In Memphis, Tn.

58 months ago

~rose~ in Jackson Heights, New York said: Oh I know it's not easy. For nursing programs there are about 100 applicants competing for one seat. Nursing is a TOUGH field. Nursing school is EXTREMELY stressful and will quickly weed out those not strong enough to make it.

I realize that you have "safed" numerous lives & I am curious to know where you read that I implied one must be a nurse in order to gain respect. I agree that MANY professions deserve better pay...not just Medical Assisting. Nurses are FAR underpaid...teachers are underpaid..etc.

Well....The comment below states "If you want the pay, respect, stability, and job opportunities- you need to apply to nursing school". I believe this implies one must be a nurse in order to gain respect. This may not have been your intention, however, this is how it reads. I wish you well. Good journey.

rose~ in Corona, New York

2 months ago
You can try to get around it in as many forms as possible. If you want the pay, respect, stability, and job opportunities- you need to apply to nursing school. Unfortunately it really IS that simple.
Right now the economy is suffering. Nurses are being paid a lot less because foreign nurses are being brought in. What makes you think MA salaries are going to rise? Quite the contrary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Matt in Sacramento, California said: It's not that easy! There's a lottery for students who want to go to nursing school in my area. It can take up to 2 years before you can even start school. Im a MA who has worked in a ER for over a year, and there are MA's who deserve better pay. There are front office MA's who answer a lot of phones and dont get the respect they deserve from people like YOU. I have safed numerous peoples lives in the ER, so dont say we have to be a nurse to get respect. I was making 9 an hours which is pretty bad, but i love helping people so i kept on doing it. EMT's and Paramedic's deserve better pay to.

Hi Matt, Please do not allow anyone to steal your joy. I will share something my coworker's adorable 3 year old son said "You hurt my happy heart". Aaahh....how cute!, and how profound. I read a book by Don Miguel Ruiz....The Four Agreements, which I find helpful. The First Agreement: Be Impeccable with Your Word, The Second Agreement: Don't Take Anything Personal, The Third Agreement: Don't Make Assumptions and The Fourth Agreement: Always Do Your Best. For me, it is difficult to stay consistent with the second and third agreements. I take things personally, and reading too much into people's comments, I make assumptions. I'll keep working on it. Continue with your good works Matt. Plant those seeds. Good journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

~rose~ in Jackson Heights, New York

58 months ago

rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: Well....The comment below states "If you want the pay, respect, stability, and job opportunities- you need to apply to nursing school". I believe this implies one must be a nurse in order to gain respect. This may not have been your intention, however, this is how it reads. I wish you well. Good journey.

rose~ in Corona, New York

2 months ago
You can try to get around it in as many forms as possible. If you want the pay, respect, stability, and job opportunities- you need to apply to nursing school. Unfortunately it really IS that simple.

What is your point? While some of your posts have been quite intelligent, I have read others and you're almost starting to "sound" like smoores. Please, let's be organized. I'm more than willing to read your opinion, but can we stick to something important?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

~rose~ in Jackson Heights, New York said: What is your point? While some of your posts have been quite intelligent, I have read others and you're almost starting to "sound" like smoores. Please, let's be organized. I'm more than willing to read your opinion, but can we stick to something important?

rose~ in Jackson Heights, New York

22 hours ago

Oh I know it's not easy. For nursing programs there are about 100 applicants competing for one seat. Nursing is a TOUGH field. Nursing school is EXTREMELY stressful and will quickly weed out those not strong enough to make it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

smoore7382

58 months ago

You must be very Compassionate with your Choosen Career. You already show respect in the way you speak. CONGRATS
I learned Years ago, set goals, move forward, down look back for long, do Right by Others, even in the toughest situations (esp with opposition) Negative we know attracts negative, There are just some "indiviuals that will always oppose the lic of Medical Assistants, but as Medical Professionals and the standards, the oath we took, How can you look Down on anyone that has choosen a Career in the Medical Field.Thanks again

Respectfully,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

smoore7382

58 months ago

Hi Rolanda,
In Memphis, There are numerous openings in our nursing degree programs, we only have 2 LPN school here, there are 12 Medical Assisting Programs. Due to the Shortage even at our Techinical School here, they have a 11 month diploma LPN program, At the close of business on 03/31/2010 there were 26 spots still open for enrollment. So here thats why MA are in such Demand here in our city and surrounding areas.95% of the Medical Assistant I have encountered work in the clinical area, with hands on Patient Care. Either in a Clinical/Urgent Care/Hosp Setting. In the past 18yrs I have never worked the front ofc,however that was my choice, I focused on the Triage, Education, Clinical Flow Thru (high Traffic), Pharm, EMR, the list goes on.Thank you.I was bashed by the other poster, I did not deserve it. I Hold myself accountable for actions as well as demonstrating Professional Standards in the Field I have.
smoore

58 months ago

smoore7382 said: Hi Rolanda,
In Memphis, There are numerous openings in our nursing degree programs, we only have 2 LPN school here, there are 12 Medical Assisting Programs. Due to the Shortage even at our Techinical School here, they have a 11 month diploma LPN program, At the close of business on 03/31/2010 there were 26 spots still open for enrollment. So here thats why MA are in such Demand here in our city and surrounding areas.95% of the Medical Assistant I have encountered work in the clinical area, with hands on Patient Care. Either in a Clinical/Urgent Care/Hosp Setting. In the past 18yrs I have never worked the front ofc,however that was my choice, I focused on the Triage, Education, Clinical Flow Thru (high Traffic), Pharm, EMR, the list goes on.Thank you.I was bashed by the other poster, I did not deserve it. I Hold myself accountable for actions as well as demonstrating Professional Standards in the Field I have.
smoore

Hi smoore, I can't fault anyone for attempting to make improvements in their profession. Finding solutions, resolving problems and making improvements is part of what we do as healthcare professionals. In fact I scored well in this category during my recent annual evaluation April 12th, 2010 and I am very happy with the end result. I realize the job market varies within each city and state, earning potential is determined by supply and demand, and employers value experience. I feel fortunate. I like what I do and I work for a good employer whose priority is our patients and values my experience and diversity. I wish you well. Good journey.

smoore7382

58 months ago

I couldn't agree more, and with you attitude, compassion you will continue to excel in this AMAZING FIELD we have pledged our CAREERS and LIVES to you are a direct RESULT of this. and for this I am GRATIFUL. I appreciate your thoughts. I know you will enjoy your journey and your certainly DESERVE it. Thank you for being kind.
smoore

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

smoore7382 said: continued, This MA just moved to another office with out ANY accountibilty for her actions. If she were Lic then notification would have been made and she would be ACCOUNTABLE FOR HER ACTIONS.
However there are several situations I have come across even with Patient Care Issues. The list goes on.
I am glad you understand why I am so passionate about our state Mandating that MA be LIC, Here if you are a CNA- The state gives you Either Cert or lic, and your Professional Standards are Followed.
Thanks Again
Respectfully,
smoore

I fully agree - the license is needed, but if you are an idealist you might be disappointed, is all.
In some respects, I think we all want it to be that way - clearly defined rules that will be followed - but I do think she would still get the job next door simply because she wasn't caught with a needle sticking in her leg or worse. It really has to get that outrageous before anyone will bother to make the call, which brings another point - if licensed, WE are supposed to report that. You. Me. The person who discovers it. Take it to her boss, sure, but for the board, no, that should be whoever sees it, like it or not. To be the only licensed one in the room stinks when you witness something because your license is on the line, then, and can I hear from an RN, Dr or other licensed person what happens next? Your license is now on the line if you don't make the call, asap.
Here's the thing: what we are taught and what really happens is sometimes two very different things. I have been the one in your position and let me tell you, you will be the one struggling without a job due to blacklist if you DO make that call to the board who will govern her license that was intended to keep her ethical in the first place.
I absolutely don't mean to tear down the idea, again, a license is needed, but...I wish you success with your goal.

58 months ago

Gentry in Kingsland, Georgia said: I fully agree - the license is needed, but if you are an idealist you might be disappointed, is all.
In some respects, I think we all want it to be that way - clearly defined rules that will be followed - but I do think she would still get the job next door simply because she wasn't caught with a needle sticking in her leg or worse. It really has to get that outrageous before anyone will bother to make the call, which brings another point - if licensed, WE are supposed to report that. You. Me. The person who discovers it. Take it to her boss, sure, but for the board, no, that should be whoever sees it, like it or not. To be the only licensed one in the room stinks when you witness something because your license is on the line, then, and can I hear from an RN, Dr or other licensed person what happens next? Your license is now on the line if you don't make the call, asap.
Here's the thing: what we are taught and what really happens is sometimes two very different things. I have been the one in your position and let me tell you, you will be the one struggling without a job due to blacklist if you DO make that call to the board who will govern her license that was intended to keep her ethical in the first place.
I absolutely don't mean to tear down the idea, again, a license is needed, but...I wish you success with your goal.

As a Licensed Respiratory Therapist, By Law, I am obligated to immediately report any violations of Professional Ethics to my Supervisor and file a formal complaint with the Respiratory Care Board or risk losing my License. The Respiratory Care Board then investigates the complaint, taking statements from all witnesses. During the defendant's hearing, the Board makes a ruling, either probation with stipulations, suspension or revocation of the defendant's License and payment of all court costs. I hope this helps. Good journey.

smoore7382

58 months ago

Gentry, Thanks. My compassion and I have dedicated myself to changing MA stature. Yes I did report the incident to the nursing Manager she had no one to call other than Law Enforcement to report and the Practice did not want to do this.
Again thank you Poster like yourself, give us hope and even when you detail it, RESPECT is Obvious.
smoore

2012 in Columbus, Ohio

54 months ago

can you be Medical Assisting, Medical Administrative Assistant,andMedical Insurance Billing/Coding at the same time? 

can someone answer this qestion for me plz thank u.

at...aniiso2003@hotmail.com

Allie in Rockingham, North Carolina

54 months ago

smoore7382 said: KEEP IN MIND- THE PIECE OF PAPER YOU HAVE (MA, RN) DOESN'T DO THE JOB/TASK GIVEN. THE INDIVIUAL DOES. YOU CAN BELIEVE ESPECIALLY WHERE I AM THE PAY HAS BEEN STEADING RISING AND I WILL CONTINUE TO FIGHT- I SEE A $2-$4 INCREASE ESPECIALLY IN THE CLINICAL SETTING. WHY SHOULD A MA MAKE LESS THAN OTHER EMPLOYEES AND THEY ARE DOING THE SAME JOB, TASK, JOB DISCRPITION IS THE SAME. BEEN THERE AND DONE IT. AND QUITE FRANKLY, DID IT BETTER THAN THE OTHER ASSOCIATE . THE RMA, CMA, RCMA W/ XRAY LIC. ARE REPLACING THE LPN, LVN- THEY WILL EVENTALLY BE OUT. RIGHT NOW COMPARED TO 10 YRS AGO, THERE WERE 12 LPN SCHOOLS HERE NOW, THERE ARE 2. ONE BEING A COMMUNITY COLLEGE . THE CIRRCULUM I REC'D OUT OF THE YEAR AT SCHOOL FOCUS ON CLINICAL PERFORMANCE WE HAVE LAB - VENIPUNCTURE 2 HRS NIGHTLY- 5 DAYS A WK, 12 MONTHS, THERE WAS ONE CHAPTER ON FRONT OFFICE - SO I AM NOT SURE WHY SOCIETY GETS MA AND MOA CONFUSED THEY ARE A TOTALLY DIFFERENT STUDY..
I HAVE A PASSION FOR NURSING HOWEVER I DO NOT ENJOY HOSP WORK. I ENJOY CLINICAL SETTING URGENT CARE, FAMILY PRACTICE, MINOR SURGERY ETC--
**AT THE END OF THE DAY:**IF I WANTED TO WORK IN HOSP THEN YES I WOULD GO BACK AND GET THE R.N. I REC'D MY IV CERTIFICATION IN 1993-MY STATE.I HAVE STARTED MANY. I HAVE PRIVELGES AT HOSP WHEN THE MD NEEDS ME TO MAKE ROUNDS AND CHART FOR HIM I DO SO.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF THE RMA, CMA- AND REMEMBER TO KEEP YOUR CEU'S UP- AAMA, NCPPT ETC ALL OF THESE CAN HELP YOU.
IN THE FUTURE OF OUR CAREERS I WILL CONTINUE TO MOVE FORWARD,

RESPECTFYLLY,
SARAH

I think its great what your doing Sarah I am an R.N. and I work at a Surgical Clinic and your right Medical Assistants does the same work as our LPN's including inserting IVs the only difference is they are not allowed to give meds via IV however if they are Licensed that might be a possibility with proper training I trained all my Medical Assistants and LPNs with my IV therapy class these are great multi tasked workers.

smoore7382

54 months ago

Thank you so much for the Support. I have made this my Life' Mission. I do appreciate all the encouraging comments. At the END OF THE DAY ALL I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IS THE HONOR, DEDICATION TO THIS SCOPE OF PRACTICE THE ATTENTION IT NEEDS..
I Intend on MOVING Forward... thank you so very Much..
Thanks Again

dr. starritt in La Jolla, California

33 months ago

This is for Matt,

Matt, do you know if Medical Assistants can give flu shots in UTAH? I know that they can in CA and CO and that they CANNOT in NV. I am trying to find information regarding their scope of practice in UTAH and the medical practice Act does not really address this.

The reason I am asking is because I have a flu shot company that goes to Dentist offices and such to vaccinate the staff for the flu and hepatitis and that way the employees are protected but they do not have to miss work to get their vaccinations. In CA and CO we use medical assistants and in NV we have to use RN's. We would much rather use a medical assistant in UT because there seems to be a shortage of RN's there.

Matt, NCMA in Ogden, Utah

33 months ago

dr. starritt in La Jolla, California said: This is for Matt,

Matt, do you know if Medical Assistants can give flu shots in UTAH? I know that they can in CA and CO and that they CANNOT in NV. I am trying to find information regarding their scope of practice in UTAH and the medical practice Act does not really address this.

The reason I am asking is because I have a flu shot company that goes to Dentist offices and such to vaccinate the staff for the flu and hepatitis and that way the employees are protected but they do not have to miss work to get their vaccinations. In CA and CO we use medical assistants and in NV we have to use RN's. We would much rather use a medical assistant in UT because there seems to be a shortage of RN's there.

Hi there, Yes you can give Flu shot's in Utah. If you need help I'd be glad to help. Here's my email address (edler_matt@yahoo.com). Have a good day.

jenn in Mcdonough, Georgia

33 months ago

I would have to agree that Ma's should at least be "certified", much like a CNA, nursing assistant. Really-- MA's have more responsibilities than a CNA, and the fact that they don't have to be regulated in the way a CNA is, really blows my mind. And really it isn't about pay, or respect to the MA-- but public safety.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lori Maxwell in Atoka, Oklahoma

32 months ago

I've worked as an RMA/MT/RT since 1998. I graduated an AAS degree program and am registered as a Medical Technologist and as an x-ray technician as well as my program was a dual Associate's degree program. I have A&P, micro, pharmacology college level via my program. To me this should be a mandatory requirement for all programs. It was harder to get into my AAS prgogram than it was LPN school.The shoddy vocational MA programs in my area are taught by LPN's & the skillset of these MA's is poor at best. Not only that, they copme out of"school"terribly misinformed. They are "pro nursing" only.It is a long believed farce that MA's do not have a scope of practice. Most fall under guidelines that are designated bytheir particular state's bopard of medical examiners and also can be restricted by the provider (ie. MD,DO,ARNP,PA-C,etc)malpractice. I have never understood the nursing profession's desire to keep medical assisting as a non licensed profession. Most COMPETENT MA's choose AMT's RMA or XMA thru AAMA as both have pretty high standards to be eligible for registry/certification. It is a sad sad thing to me that as healthcare professionals, better standards aren't wanted all the way around. I have long desired some type of mandatory regulation of MA's. Many many years ago, even nursing didn't require licensing. My great grandmother was a nurse who attended a hospital training program that was bare bones minimum. Respiratory therapist used to not have mandatory requirements, radiology technicians still haveto fight the battle that some states that will allow anyone off the street to take x-rays.Many different allied health occupations have changed their standards. Sameshould apply to medical assisting. For the sake of patients, I would think ANYONE, RN, LPN/LVN, MA, provider would want positive changes in the healthcare field.I just don't understand why anyone would not want MANDATORY regulation of ANY occupation that involves patient care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lori Maxwell in Atoka, Oklahoma

32 months ago

I've worked as an RMA/MT/RT since 1998. I graduated an AAS degree program and am registered as a Medical Technologist and as an x-ray technician as well as my program was a dual Associate's degree program. I have A&P, micro, pharmacology college level via my program. To me this should be a mandatory requirement for all programs. It was harder to get into my AAS prgogram than it was LPN school.The shoddy vocational MA programs in my area are taught by LPN's & the skillset of these MA's is poor at best. Not only that, they copme out of"school"terribly misinformed. They are "pro nursing" only.It is a long believed farce that MA's do not have a scope of practice. Most fall under guidelines that are designated bytheir particular state's bopard of medical examiners and also can be restricted by the provider (ie. MD,DO,ARNP,PA-C,etc)malpractice. I have never understood the nursing profession's desire to keep medical assisting as a non licensed profession. Most COMPETENT MA's choose AMT's RMA or XMA thru AAMA as both have pretty high standards to be eligible for registry/certification. It is a sad sad thing to me that as healthcare professionals, better standards aren't wanted all the way around. I have long desired some type of mandatory regulation of MA's. Many many years ago, even nursing didn't require licensing. My great grandmother was a nurse who attended a hospital training program that was bare bones minimum. Respiratory therapist used to not have mandatory requirements, radiology technicians still haveto fight the battle that some states that will allow anyone off the street to take x-rays.Many different allied health occupations have changed their standards. Sameshould apply to medical assisting. For the sake of patients, I would think ANYONE, RN, LPN/LVN, MA, provider would want positive changes in the healthcare field.I just don't understand why anyone would not want MANDATORY regulation of ANY occupation that involves patient care.

Josie in Buffalo, New York

32 months ago

ptabby in Jackson Heights, New York said: Absolutely not. Their education level and scope of practice is not anywhere up near there. That's why there are LICENSED Practical Nurses and REGISTERED Nurses. There's no easy way around it. They would have to compete with a few hundred people for the chance to have a seat in a 15 spot program.

Medical Assistant school is completely different from that. I just don't understand why they feel their status is so much higher than it really is...not to sound mean.

I don't know what kind of schools you have around you, but our Medical Assistant program is not far off from the LPN program. We can also be certified in phlebotomy and EKGs, as well as take an extra class on clia waived laboratory procedures where we actually grow cultures and ID organisms so that appropriate antibiotic treatment can be determined. We are also trained in basic patient care, how to administer injections, and prepare IV therapy. What I don't understand is, why is the Medical Assistant a two year DEGREE program and the LPN only a 12-week rush through certificate program? Yet the Medical Assistant can only get certified, while the LPN can obtain a license? So who's to say our Medical Assistants are "beneath" an LPN?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MAtoRN in Sacramento, California

32 months ago

First of all I want to say this forum is crazy lol Also I want to say that to all you people who think MA is a walk in the park I have been successfully trained by a wonderful woman who served in the military as a Flight Nurse and she is also an NP. So therefore, I did not get any slack. Everyday was like a medical boot camp drill. But I am glad for it because I know how to execute everything as best as can be for a MA. I can prep, palpate the vein and obtain blood all under 5 mins because I was trained to due so. So I DESERVE my title and so does everyone else who completed the program and takes patients lives and safety seriously. I also took my national certification and I plan on applying for nursing after my prerequisites are done. I have always wanted to be a RN and thats what I will be hell who knows maybe even a NP. But what is going on with the chomping down of peoples credentials in here..I thought the subject was MA JOBS not critiquing MAs..unless your an employer that can hire me...you shouldn't have anything to say about my credentials...and thank you..LOVE YOU MAs lol keep it up(The ones who take it seriously)

MAtoRN in Sacramento, California

32 months ago

Oh yeah...lol and If we get liscensed...CAN WE GET A BETTER PAY PLEASE..lol shoot by the time they do that I'll be a RN

Bob in Buffalo Gap, Texas

30 months ago

poohbear said: I'm a CMA and I also run circles around the LPN and RN'S at the clinic I work at. I'm just so tried of people at work looking down on my degree just because I'm a CMA I can do just about anything that the nurses do except start Iv. I think sometimes that Nurse Aide are recognized more than CMA.

A "Degree" in medial assisting...no such thing. It all comes down to education level and scope of practice. That simple.

mrserranom in Plano, Texas

19 months ago

I believe we should be called Medical Nurses and be licenced, I am afraid that now the new wave of medical assistant school are graduating thousands of medical assistants that have no clue, it is flat out dangerous, we too have people lives in our hands, when you call to a Drs. office, you talk to the medical assistant, and if she is not properly trained in triage, she may not know the difference between a hurtburn and a heart attack, we have to know!! we pass the info to the Dr. we schedule the app. at our discression as an emergency to be seen inmediatly or a regular office visit a week later and be dead by then. If I write your medical history wrong or if I don't pay attention to the chief complaint, the Dr. may misdiagnose a patient. We as medical assistants, have more time with the patient and we get all the details the Dr. does not, but there is where our training if good kicks in, we can take what is important and give heads up to the Dr. so that he can do his part. Our job is very important and it really frustrastes me to see that they are taking this career so lightlty.
But the schools are at fault, they lie to this kids, they tell them they really don't have to study much, they just need to pass one test and that's it,so if you are a person who think study is not for you, heck ! let's be medical assistant! that is what one of my coworkers said!! to me! ! I am beyond mad and someone has to stop them!!

Candy Tomlin in dickson, Tennessee

11 months ago

I am a LPN-Nurse Coordinator at a growing facility. I am doing some research for my DON & I, as we supervise MA, LPN, & RN. We are recently upset as our MA employees are under attack. #1-according to our corporate lawyers, in the state of TN you don't even have to go to school to be an MA. Thus, anyone can obtain "on the job training" & be titled an MA. I have done all the searching and have not found anything that states otherwise. Scary but true. You can walk right off the street and be hired as an MA. Now, what it does say in the law is that an MA must be DIRECTLY SUPERVISED by a licensed medical practitioner, (NP, PA, or MD). That is where my question comes in. Does this mean when there isn't a "licensed MD or NP" on the floor, the MA can't do their duties, as well, they can't be directly supervised by nurses or any non licensed supervisors? I really love my CMA's at work. We all work together, and they are some of the most pleasant employees I have. What is happening though, is they are trying to turn the MA's into grunt techs & I need their skills on my medical unit. #-2 Since they don't have a "license", there is no state laws protecting them from working "beneath the license" as there are with RN and LPN licenses. We are protected by our license. There are also laws telling me how many licensed nurses I have to keep on the floor per census. I'm required 1 RN per shift and 2 LPNs per shift, I have had 2 MAs on days, 1 on nights, but they are taking them to be techs. And now, they are trying to tell us to train these techs on how to do MA duties and they both will be "MRA" (medical residential assist): We as nurses take for granted how much our license protects us, as well as holds us in our jobs. We need for anyone that does any kind of medical to be licensed for the patient's protection as well as our own. All this is scary to me and should be to anyone that works in the medical profession.

Candy Tomlin in dickson, Tennessee

11 months ago

Josie in Buffalo, New York said: I don't know what kind of schools you have around you, but our Medical Assistant program is not far off from the LPN program. We can also be certified in phlebotomy and EKGs, as well as take an extra class on clia waived laboratory procedures where we actually grow cultures and ID organisms so that appropriate antibiotic treatment can be determined. We are also trained in basic patient care, how to administer injections, and prepare IV therapy. What I don't understand is, why is the Medical Assistant a two year DEGREE program and the LPN only a 12-week rush through certificate program? Yet the Medical Assistant can only get certified, while the LPN can obtain a license? So who's to say our Medical Assistants are "beneath" an LPN?

The License and the State Board of Nursing my dear. The license is everything. That's why facilities must have so many licensed nurses on the floor. There is no requirement for MA. Not that I'm knocking it, I love my MAs. Couldn't live without them, but the truth is, there are laws telling facilities who must take care of patients, what they can do and how much. There are laws stating who is in charge according to licensure. There are laws that can take away that license if we screw up, we could never work again after that, so we take it very seriously. The LPN is a very intense 12 month course on strictly nursing care with over 400 hours (yes, 400) of clinical in all branches of nursing (more than any other degree). We don't study a bunch of elective courses because everything we do is taking care of the patient, what could go wrong, and what to do if it does. Doctors expect us to know what we are doing the moment we hit the floor, and in this sue happy society, so does everyone else. It is always the nurses the lawyers go after first. Why, cause we're so damned busy and got so many things going on that we probably missed something somewhere. Makes us an easy target.

Starlage in Seattle, Washington

10 months ago

Licensed? No way. We work under doctors, that's the core of what we do. Licensing is silly. Certified/Registered? Yes. I live in Seattle- Washington state now has an MA law as of this last summer MAs are required to pass a national certification exam and then have to also pass the state certification exam before you can practice as an MA in washington state.

Chrystal W. in Du Bois, Pennsylvania

1 month ago

smoore7382 said: SORRY TO ALL OF THE ABOVE. I AM THE ONE WHO BEGAN PETITION, I HAVE 650,000 NAMES. NATIONAL COLLEGE OF LABOR , I AM CURRENTLY WORKING WITH HOUSE OF LEGISLATION AND CONGRESS TO MANDATE IF YOU PRACTICE AS A MEDICAL ASSISTANT IN WHATEVER STATE YOU MUST BE LICENSED. NO DIFFERENT THAN A LPN OR RN. RIGHT NOW NO STATE MANDATES OR CONTROLS THE MA ENVIROMENT. THE ACCREDITED SCHOOLS OF TODAY ENSURE THE CIRRCULUM WILL GET THEM READY, FOR EX: I HAVE HAD LPN/RN THAT I HAVE RAN CIRCLES AROUND IN THE CLINICS. MEDICAL ASSISTANT ARE WELL READY TO TAKE THE TEST OR NOT PRACTICE. IT SHOULD BE THAT SIMPLE IF NO SCHOOL WAS GONE THRU THEY CAN GRAND-FATHER IN BUT STILL MUST TAKE THE LIC TESTURE. THIS IS TO MAKE THE PROFESSION WE WORK IN RESPECT AND PAID ACCORDINGLY AND THERE WILL BE A HUGH INCREASE TO THE PAY. SHOULD YOU NEED TO CONTACT ME. HEAVENDELIGHT@AOL.COM
IN SOLIDARTY
SARAH

Sarah

I tried using the email you gave heavendelight@aol.com but it came back as mail-undeliverable could I have you e-mail address to discuss licensing states for MA's. I am a CMA, AAMA

Thank You

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.