Should I go for the medical assistant program?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 79 of 79)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

jhonyson04 in Dallas, Texas

30 months ago

Medical is a booming sector that is why so many boys and girls want to make their career in this field. I also want to become medial assistant and want to join a certified hospital.
www.phlebotomytrainings.net/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

naomi in York, Pennsylvania

28 months ago

I am looking to attend a technical school in york,pa. can anyone tell me if it is worth it. it is cheaper to attend but don't know if employers would accept the certificate.

MikeUSAF in Chatsworth, California

27 months ago

Marla Fisher in Long Beach, California said: You need to be very cautious about any trade schools you consider. Many of them are not candid about the accreditation they offer and what it means. I am a newspaper reporter and you can read some stories I have written on this topic. This forum will not let me post URLs however you can google based on the headlines and find the stories easily. Here are some headlines you can google:
Students wanted jobs, but got debt instead
Trade school pitfall: Lack of accreditation can strand grads

I am a 52 year old male and I am thinking about going to start a program here in southern california called Conejo Valley Adult Education. The certificate will be in Adminstrative and Clinical Medical Assistant with Phlebothomy Technician 1. The program is 20 weeks plus externship for Adminstrative and Clinical Medical Assistant 4 weeks and phlebothomy technician 2 weeks. The total cost is $4,899 that also includes the NCCT certification testing, test prep and skills workshop.

I am currently on unemployment so at least I am getting paid while going back to school.

They have no job placement department

Robert Kanarr in Bradenton, Florida

27 months ago

I feel persuing with a Medical Assisting Degree will be better then deploma. I have done alot of research and found that accreditation of a school and the clinical hours for intership is very important at least here in Florida. I will like to do LPN but have to take the TEAS or HESI test and I dont think Im that smart. Besides starting base pay for MA is better the CNA or Resident Aide plus you get to work mostly dayshift hours and have most weekends off if you work at a clinic or doctors office. I guess their are pros and cons to everything but Im learning to be sure the school is ABHES accretided.

27 months ago

I agree about Everest College....I went to visit the school in Brandon, FL. Its very expensive for AS Degree for Medical Assisting just as expensive as Keiser College but Keiser has alot of accredication and will prepare you for the RMA or CMA exam. Not saying that Everest wont prepare to take the exam but paying back over $20K is alot.

I found that the fiancial aide for Everest should be taken with caution since Im weary of paying back less then half the tuition at a 12% interest rate.
All these things such as accredication, paying back tuition, starting out-of-pocket fees, and especially for accredication of a school should all be taken into consideration. Do reasearch call AMT and ask about clinical hours, accredication of a school.

Robert Kanarr

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

guest in Oakland, Belive me, I have done research and visited about half dozen private school and two local communty colleges. The only problem is, each community school is 8 hour day classes running 5 days a week. Which is fine if your a younger student living at home. How are you suppose to work to support yourself if you have to spend 8 hours a day in school for 5 days a week ? only one community college is ABHES accredited.

Answer to your other question about MA being long gone: Perhaps your right maybe too many MA's and not enough jobs for them. I feel that alot of people are going to school for the RN and skipping the MA field especially the younger students. Im 45 years old I dont want to work crazy hours in a hospital if Im a RN.
For a MA you can go anywhere in the country to work and you dont need to register with the State or pay a fee like you would if your a CNA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Yes, the pay scale for MA is not great and you do the work as LPN and get paid alot less. However, I feel once you have the RMA or CMA certifcation you are valueable. I guess it comes down to what you really want to do and how much research you can invest to find a school.
I see it as if Im going to pay $18K for deploma at a private school like Meridian or Southwest Florida College or $33K for Keiser for AS degree, I want to make sure the school will cater to me.

Robert Kanarr

????? in Festus, Missouri

26 months ago

I need help...I wanna go back to school for Medical Assisting but dont know which school would be best. Also I see there are AAS degrees, AOS degrees, an certificates...whats the differnce between them all....Please anyone :)

amy in Saint Louis, Missouri

26 months ago

claire in Chicago, Illinois said: IM CURRENTLY LOOKING INTO STARTING A MEDICAL ASSISTING PROGRAM. IT HAS ALWAYS CAUGHT MY INTEREST. CAN SOMEBODY WHO IS CURRENTLY A MA TELL ME HOW THEY LIKE IT. I WAS ALSO LOOKING INTO CNA BUT STILL DEBATING WHICH ONE WILL PAY OFF MORE. ANY FEEDBACK ..THANK YOU

I am currently halfway through my MA program and LOVE IT!! you get to learn injections, phlebotomy, specimen collections, and much more. MA will make more than CNA's. If you love helping people and love the medical field this would be a great program for you

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

26 months ago

guest in San Francisco, California said: Don't even waste your time becoming an MA and avoid ALL FOR PROFIT TRADE SCHOOLS.

Why do people buy into their stuff? Don't they realize the schools are just making tons of money off them?

flygirl in Kenosha, Wisconsin

26 months ago

Think this career choice over very carefully. It is becoming over saturated with qualified applicants. It can impossible to find a job. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Samantha m in Boston, Massachusetts

21 months ago

Hi my name is Samantha i was looking at alot of the comments on here and was just going to give some insight on what i think about MA's . Ok first off the Lpn degree will soon better montages completely alot of jobs are letting go of there Lpn's they are even starting to take the program out of the schools where im from. I live in Massachusetts by the way. I am currently taking up a science of medical assisting associates degree so i will be a certified medical assistant with a degree which pays about $10 more an hour than just having the certificate and i will also be able to transfer my credits if i do decide to further my education. My school has a accelerated program so it takes 14 months to obtain your degree. The medical field is a great field to get into because there will always be in demand. So for LPN dont do it the degree doesn't mean anything and you will have trouble finding a job. If there is anyone in Massachusetts looking to become a MA i would definitely Suggest going to my school its called Salter College i hope i helped out to anyone with any questions they had

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Samantha m in Boston, Massachusetts

21 months ago

Also i suggest if you do become a MA get your associates with it because even if there is alot of other people in that career not as many have a degree so it opens up your chances to get a good paying job

Zeelani

21 months ago

An as degree will not get $10 more an hour,that is a big lie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

amber in Fort Dodge, Iowa

19 months ago

I am glad to hear some of the comments on here. I am enrolled at my community college to start the Medical Assisting program. The pay here in Iowa for a newbie is around $14 an hour. I chose this as a career for now because I know I want to be in the medical field but am not sure exactly where...I think getting my foot in the door with this 1 year low cost program is the best thing for me right now.

19 months ago

amber in Fort Dodge, Iowa said: I am glad to hear some of the comments on here. I am enrolled at my community college to start the Medical Assisting program. The pay here in Iowa for a newbie is around $14 an hour. I chose this as a career for now because I know I want to be in the medical field but am not sure exactly where...I think getting my foot in the door with this 1 year low cost program is the best thing for me right now.

I live just north of Los Angeles. I went to an adult school that was 10 weeks front office and 10 weeks back office with phlebotomy. I completed my phlebotomy externship with 300 blood draws and my 160 hours medical assistant externship. Now I am having a difficult time finding a MA job. They all want 1 year of experience and bilingual Spanish. Some ads even say "NO NEW GRADS"

The pay here in the Los Angeles area is between $10-$14/HR and you see a lot of part time ads. It would be nice if doctors would give new grads a job even if we would work for less money just to get the experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

MikeUSAF in Chatsworth, California said: I live just north of Los Angeles. I went to an adult school that was 10 weeks front office and 10 weeks back office with phlebotomy. I completed my phlebotomy externship with 300 blood draws and my 160 hours medical assistant externship. Now I am having a difficult time finding a MA job. They all want 1 year of experience and bilingual Spanish. Some ads even say "NO NEW GRADS"

The pay here in the Los Angeles area is between $10-$14/HR and you see a lot of part time ads. It would be nice if doctors would give new grads a job even if we would work for less money just to get the experience.

:( I honestly don't think it is fair that anyone should have to be bilingual in the U.S. to get a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

19 months ago

amber in Fort Dodge, Iowa said: :( I honestly don't think it is fair that anyone should have to be bilingual in the U.S. to get a job.

My niece is a medical assistant (actually biller now) and she says Spanish is almost a requirement to get in now. Plus, the one year experience.

19 months ago

Even if take a Spanish for medical personnel that still does not make you bilingual.

19 months ago

In California, the minimum wage is $8 per hour so the min for MA I have seen advertised is $10-$12 per hour maybe a little more.

19 months ago

guest in San Francisco, California said: I doubt it with regards to the $14 an hour.

Try like $8 an hour assuming you can find an MA job.

Well this is Iowa, might be $8 an hr. in Cali. I have a friend that is an MA and she makes decent money here in Iowa. I wouldn't see the point in schooling if the pay was that low. Might as well go work at McDonalds then.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nadia33 in Houston, Texas

2 months ago

Peggy Rivera in Austin, Texas said: Hello Sara,
Just wanted to say sorry for your loss but it's time to move on. You will never do anything if you keep yourself there. So here's my advise get out of this rut and only you can do this. Sorry don't mean to be rude but you need to move on.

So anyway, I am a Medical Assistant I have been for 5 years and I love it. Right now I work for a career school that offer MA class and now I am an Externship Coordinator . People ask me why am I here and not out in the medical field. Well I know what it is to struggle to get where you need to get and I'm here to help you. Like I tell my students you will only get out what you put into it.

I to had to put myself through school with no support from my husband and I had 4 kids and home. So while my husband was not there my kids lived on MC Donalds for 11 months. I did what ever I could to do my best to finish. I also worked as a waitress in the morning will I went to school at night. That was the best thing I ever did for myself and for my kids, and I am no longer in the marriage.

So yes start as a Medical Assistant see if you will like it because you have to love what you do to make it work.

Sara, everyone goes through hard times and are in a rut for a while but only you can make it better. SO GET UP, GET OUT AND MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Sincerely

Peggy from Austin and living up with my kids.

Peggy can you give me your email? I want to ask u couple question. Regarding MA school...I am mom also and trying to go on associate degree program in MA.thanks

Nadia33 in Houston, Texas

2 months ago

I want to take some classes for MA school here in Houston...is it someone from here maybe....let me know ... So u can tell me about school...is it hard or no?because I am mom....do u need to study very hard to pass all classes or no!? I means depends another school is more harder I thing then this one aMA ..thanks
Any answer will help me ....

Drew in Burke, Virginia

2 months ago

Not sure about your school or your credentials this is important. If u have no schooling in any healthcare but show intrest and have customer service background or are interested premed. Start working in private practice Derm offices, $16-17 an hour + benifits and free cosmetics or discounted drastically. they are high volume and they are always looking to hire. Some will do all your training on site including aseptic tech, surgical tool sterilization, fillers botox and pathology book keeping, they will teach u history taking and vital signs. and they will give you more tasks as u prove worthy like contacting patients with both benign and malignant reports. after two years go to ARMA American registry of medical assistants and u can become registered. You will not be a certified medical assistant but they are viewed as the same by almost all places. After u get ur arma cert renew it yearly or u loose it for good. derm jobs are plentyful, and u get picked up but other specialty docs down the road. if u get fired or get bored or don't like a doc who cares? u will get snatched up in a heartbeat if u are a good communicator, multitasker, can prioritize, and above all have compassion for the ill. I happen to have a background in internal med. i went to school for 3 years and became a NREMT/ paramedic. I recommended my friend who never had any formal medical training and she did it.
Pay in in dc baltimore area17-25 an hour plus benefit and bonus. Good luck.

Ginger CMA in Washington

1 month ago

I graduated with a AS degree in Medical Assisting about 1 1/2 years ago. Just in the past 4 months, I have applied for close to 50 jobs and interviewed and re-interviewed for about 6 jobs. Everything goes well and I never hear back. There are at least three schools in my area that have the MA program. Two community colleges and Charter College. It took me 2 1/2 years to go through the Community College program. It's takes Charter about 9 months or so. So every so many months another 70, or so, hopeful MA's get barfed out into the world thinking they will get a job. There have been more job openings for CMA's lately because all the LPN's are finally getting into Nursing School, but those jobs are being filled with CMA's already working and with at least a year under their belts. I was very optimistic when I started the program. I had lots of prior medical experience in various forms. But too many MA's and too few jobs makes it impossible to get in. I feel bad for all those hopeful students that think a job will be waiting for them when they graduate. Those days are over, if they ever existed at all. The schools will tell you what you want to hear because they all want to make money off you. I'm still trying to find a job, but not for too much longer. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go for RN. None of the MA credits transfer over to anything so it would be starting from ground zero and I am getting too old for that.

dedeandphineas in Houston, Texas

1 month ago

Nadia33 in Houston, Texas said: I want to take some classes for MA school here in Houston...is it someone from here maybe....let me know ... So u can tell me about school...is it hard or no?because I am mom....do u need to study very hard to pass all classes or no!? I means depends another school is more harder I thing then this one aMA ..thanks
Any answer will help me ....

Nadia, please don't do it!!!! I made the mistake of going for MA here in houston, grad in 2012 and still have not found an MA position, like most of my class!!! I felt like I could do more with my life so I went to a shiny new technical school off the Katy freeway out of desperation. The classes weren't very hard ,they were medium sized with lots of hands on work, which was fun, especially phlebotomy and injections. They will of course tell u everything you want to hear,"9-10 month program, 8-12 or 1-6 pm, we help find a job" HA! but when u get on any job website and look for MA postings, 90+% of them say "must have 1+ yrs of experience, externship NOT considered as experience" but how can you get experience if no one will hire you?? Luckily,I did find a donor phlebotomy position, and realized I should have followed my first mind and just went for phlebotomy, which is a shorter cheaper&course at any community college. Also, phlebotomist seem to get paid a little bit more than MA's here in Houston. Also most community colleges in the area usually want you to have prereqs b4 getting into their MA or LVN programs, so it may take 18 mos to 2+ yrs, depending on what classes you need. Also,if u want to do lvn instead, Alvin community college doesn't have many prereqs either. There are so many more in demand careers out there,like surg tech or RN, that would be so much more worth it. In the end, if you do decide to go to a technical school, try to get an externship at a hospital- you have a better chance at getting hired on or making connections. Hope this help

Healthcareer in Atlanta, Georgia

1 month ago

dedeandphineas in Houston, Texas said: Nadia, please don't do it!!!! I made the mistake of going for MA here in houston, grad in 2012 and still have not found an MA position, like most of my class!!! I felt like I could do more with my life so I went to a shiny new technical school off the Katy freeway out of desperation. The classes weren't very hard ,they were medium sized with lots of hands on work, which was fun, especially phlebotomy and injections. They will of course tell u everything you want to hear,"9-10 month program, 8-12 or 1-6 pm, we help find a job" HA! but when u get on any job website and look for MA postings, 90+% of them say "must have 1+ yrs of experience, externship NOT considered as experience" but how can you get experience if no one will hire you?? Luckily,I did find a donor phlebotomy position, and realized I should have followed my first mind and just went for phlebotomy, which is a shorter cheaper&course at any community college . Also, phlebotomist seem to get paid a little bit more than MA's here in Houston. Also most community colleges in the area usually want you to have prereqs b4 getting into their MA or LVN programs, so it may take 18 mos to 2+ yrs, depending on what classes you need. Also,if u want to do lvn instead, Alvin community college doesn't have many prereqs either. There are so many more in demand careers out there,like surg tech or RN, that would be so much more worth it. In the end, if you do decide to go to a technical school, try to get an externship at a hospital - you have a better chance at getting hired on or making connections. Hope this help

If you have any experience or training in science/health/medical you can get nationally accredited certification in a few days.

Medical Refresher and Certification exam prep seen on YouTube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pKctXal-Rg

Steph in Fremont, California

15 days ago

j in Corvallis, Oregon said: It's really hard to choose a program not knowing what exactly you want. I became an MA because it was s fast way to enter medical field with decent pay and somewhat respectable job. My program took 9 months. I volunteered at the hospital that I wanted to get a job during school, then I asked to extern there, and got a job there. It's been 7 months now. Start pay for new grads is 16$ per hour.
Most MAs I know if they go back to school, its almost always RN program. I'm going for microbiology though, but that will be after a while. I'm going to try to get the hospital to pay be proving I'm an excellent employee, and volunteer every chance I get. In the mean time, I'm still making ok money.

What program did you attend?

Healthcareer in Pensacola, Florida

3 days ago

Healthcareer in Atlanta, Georgia said: If you have any experience or training in science/ health /medical you can get nationally accredited certification in a few days.

Medical Refresher and Certification exam prep seen on YouTube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pKctXal-Rg

"Corrected"YouTube Link: www.youtube.com/channel/UCTl7oWqwu8ttlRwMZOi9g2Q

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.