Still Unemployed

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Manicia in Lanham, Maryland

62 months ago

Graduated Nov.22 still unemployed... What am I 2 do? I feel like I got cheated. Paid for training in Medical assistance and after I finished no employment. Every other job Ive applied for wants me 2 have 2years experience... Been searching for jobs ever since and no luck...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

susie in Meta, Missouri

62 months ago

I hear ya. I lost my job over a year ago, and people dont realize that I have just as much, or MORE, training and experience than a nurse, and I cant find a decent job!! My medical assistant certificate cost $8,000; that's the most expensive paper i've ever been "tricked" into buying! If you like phlebotomy, try finding a job in a lab...that's what I think I'm doing. good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Randall MF in Northridge, California

50 months ago

I graduated almost 2 years ago and nothing still. Everyone wants experience but no one gives opportunities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Are You Serious in Denver, Colorado

50 months ago

Randall MF in Northridge, California said: I graduated almost 2 years ago and nothing still. Everyone wants experience but no one gives opportunities.

I agree, my parents have abused me repeatedly for over 2 years concerning their are no forthcoming job opportunities or responses from these employers. Of course, my line of work is in receptionist/administrative/clerical/customer service. Finally, this morning I'm like, "Shame on you for doing this to normal, very capable, employable, adults, repeatedly abusing them and talking down to them because employers are playing games or no work opportunities are available. It's getting real old being blamed for this garbage. And then on top of this for my age group 16- 25, the unemployment rate is over 25%"

Recently I also was told by both parents this morning that I "need" a low paying job in a poor working environment and that I'm just some animal for employers to abuse.

I don't know where they stand on carrying on a positive family legacy, but that's not the legacy I want carried on in this family, for my Grandma.

All I can say is thank god for the strong, positive, mentors I have around me at a county workforce center who stepped in and recently my training co-ordinator told me that the appropriate hourly wage I should be working at is $13-$16 dollars an hour and (in a suitable, safe, positive working environment). I'm currently looking into potential WIA funded educational training providers. The way I look at it is, if someone is paying my way to obtain training for a better job, I'm there. Especially if it leads, to a new job and gets me out of that type of inappropriate, abusive work dynamic.

I won't be letting my training co-ordinator down and will be carrying the ball as far as I can carry it. Unless of course, funding becomes a serious issue relating to educational training (because I've defaulted on a student loan) and may not be able to receive any more funding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Are You Serious in Denver, Colorado

50 months ago

Randall MF in Northridge, California said: I graduated almost 2 years ago and nothing still. Everyone wants experience but no one gives opportunities.

Also in addition to funding, to advance job skills, I'll be looking into paid work-study programs.

I'm the first woman in my family to graduate college (trade school) and I'm now looking into launching my second educational challenge.

I'm the first (female) grandchild in my family and I feel that I have to set the tone for other girls in the family, that they definitely don't need to hang out for employers or educators who tell them, "You "need" a low paying job or you "need" a poor or abusive work or educational environment."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Patsy in Concord, North Carolina

50 months ago

I definitely agree with you Randall, how do you gain experience if NO ONE is WILLING to give you or me a chance. I graduated 1 year ago and I am in the 50 age group. What a lie I was told. Looking for people my age. Just another crock of lies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

S_C in New Orleans, Louisiana

50 months ago

Manicia in Lanham, Maryland said: Graduated Nov.22 still unemployed... What am I 2 do? I feel like I got cheated. Paid for training in Medical assistance and after I finished no employment. Every other job Ive applied for wants me 2 have 2years experience... Been searching for jobs ever since and no luck...

Go to temp to perm contractor / agency. You may have to start out at an entry level pay but in the long run, it's worth it.
I work for one now and in two more months, I'll be making $15.00 an hour. If they say they have nothing available yet, call every week until they finally place you on a job.

Apply to more than one.

Pamela in Long Beach, California

50 months ago

I'm glad I got my Medical Billing certificate for free at a local adult school. Seeing as how people who paid for the private schools are just out a lot of wasted money. In case anyone was wondering, Manpower works with UEI for medical billing temporary placement. And it's the downtown Los Angeles branch. And of course, that's after you've spent all that money on a private school and good luck getting signed on with Manpower if you have no recent work experience these days. I think the only reason they talk to me at all was that I signed up with them back in the 90's and am still in their system.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed in Carson, California

30 months ago

Pamela in Long Beach, California said: I'm glad I got my Medical Billing certificate for free at a local adult school. Seeing as how people who paid for the private schools are just out a lot of wasted money. In case anyone was wondering, Manpower works with UEI for medical billing temporary placement. And it's the downtown Los Angeles branch. And of course, that's after you've spent all that money on a private school and good luck getting signed on with Manpower if you have no recent work experience these days. I think the only reason they talk to me at all was that I signed up with them back in the 90's and am still in their system.

Where was this adult school?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.