Why can't I find a Medical Assistant!!!!!!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (42)

JenelleShea in Toledo, Ohio

46 months ago

I just Graduated in June of 2010 as a Medical Assistant. I have applied to so many online ads for this position, and I have only got One Interview and They did not hire me. I have a family and I really would like to find a job as a Ma or Medical receptionist. I will also relocate to any city and state with more Ma Positions.

Thank you
any advice is helpful...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

N in Winfield, Illinois

46 months ago

JenelleShea in Toledo, Ohio said: I just Graduated in June of 2010 as a Medical Assistant. I have applied to so many online ads for this position, and I have only got One Interview and They did not hire me. I have a family and I really would like to find a job as a Ma or Medical receptionist. I will also relocate to any city and state with more Ma Positions.

Thank you
any advice is helpful...

Me too I was graduate in Auguy=ts 2010. And I still cant find a job as a medical assistant. I called so may different offices but they do not hire at all. School promise to help us but they are not anybody any sugestions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gabster in Rancho Cucamonga, California

46 months ago

I just got into this shcool and I am very exited, and worried at the same time I will not find a job for ma. medical asistant they promise to much. I live in southern california

46 months ago

How sad that means that you just waisted your time. I am starting school in Jan,3 now I am scared I will just not find a job as well. I live in southern california

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

N in Winfield, Illinois

46 months ago

Even with as you Certifed Mdical Assistant its hard to find.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

N in Winfield, Illinois said: Me too I was graduate in Auguy=ts 2010. And I still cant find a job as a medical assistant. I called so may different offices but they do not hire at all. School promise to help us but they are not anybody any sugestions.

I know it's been so hard to find a job in this field. I have started to apply to entry level positions now. So may be you should try that as well,maybe a Ma position will come later but at least you will have some type of income. I wish you good luck on your Ma job search..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

So you are having a hard time too finding this position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

N in Rolling Meadows, Illinois

46 months ago

yes hard time too. I am almost crying I pass my NHA exam and now have dificult time and school does not help. And I call to different offices nobody hire. I even ask to volunteer in the medical office but they do not ned even volunteering. And its cscary because u keep forgeten clinical what u learned at school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

JenelleShea in Toledo, Ohio said: I just Graduated in June of 2010 as a Medical Assistant. I have applied to so many online ads for this position, and I have only got One Interview and They did not hire me. I have a family and I really would like to find a job as a Ma or Medical receptionist. I will also relocate to any city and state with more Ma Positions.

Thank you
any advice is helpful...

yes I have hard time too. Me too I want to find a job Medical Assistant or Medical Receptionist. I am almost crying I pass my NHA exam and now have dificult time and school does not help. And I call to different offices nobody hire. I even ask to volunteer in the medical office but they do not ned even volunteering. And its cscary because u keep forgeten clinical what u learned at school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

I really understand where you are coming from.I'm to the point where I have begone applying to entry level positions, because nobody is hiring in the medical assisting field where I live. I mean I need some type of income it's already been 7 months post my Graduation. I wish you the best of luck in your job search..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

N in Wheaton, Illinois

46 months ago

JenelleShea in Toledo, Ohio said: I really understand where you are coming from.I'm to the point where I have begone applying to entry level positions, because nobody is hiring in the medical assisting field where I live. I mean I need some type of income it's already been 7 months post my Graduation. I wish you the best of luck in your job search..

How about for entry level position we need to have experince?? Do you think for entry level is easier too find a job?? You can also try to apply for phlebetomist as well.

lulunessy-123 in Edmonton, Alberta

44 months ago

I too cannot find a job as a Medical Office Assistant! I am so frustrated! I graduated from Grant MacEwan Univeristy in Edmonton, Alberta Canada, in June 2010, and I have sent our hundreds of resumes, and have received one phone call and interview to date- it has been 10 months!

I was told in an information session for this program, that their percentage of students employed after graduation is 97%. I doubt this, many of my fellow students are struggling to find work as well.

I am so dispointed, and am currently paying back my student loan and am working in retail :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

jay in Fresno, California

42 months ago

i graduated in 09 and yet to find a job the schol i whnt to said they would hepl me find a job and they did not they wantedme to enroll into cna program i was s mad i said i just paid all this money and now you want to tell me to go to schoo for somthing esle.. i dont think so .. shool name kaplan college in clovis ca

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Me too I graduated from school at IL. They promised to help to find a job but they are not at all. I dont know what career center doing there??? Somebody knows???

42 months ago

Me too I graduated from school in IL. They promised to help us to find jobs but they are not. What career center are doing there??

JenelleShea in Bridgeport, Ohio

42 months ago

Thank you
any advice is helpful...

When looking for a job, could not help to notice the many replys of other people just out of college with good degrees. I just want you to know your not alone, I'm feeling the same disbelieve of why can I not find a job! I just finished in March,17 2011 and thought it would be much easier than this, being that we as Medical Assistants was trained to do everything in the doctors office......"Guess that does not mean nothing to others!" But to those of us who worked really hard to get our degrees in hopes of a better future for our family we are still left behind even with a college degree!!

From,
Harrisville,OH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

QUICKAPP Employment Services in Fresno, California

41 months ago

jay in Fresno, California said: i graduated in 09 and yet to find a job the schol i whnt to said they would hepl me find a job and they did not they wantedme to enroll into cna program i was s mad i said i just paid all this money and now you want to tell me to go to schoo for somthing esle.. i dont think so .. shool name kaplan college in clovis ca

Hi Jay, There are numerous ways to get your foot in the door. I've been in the Employment Field for 25 years. I use a method that works well. A good resume sent to 10 employers gets 8 calls. If it doesn’t keep writing it until it does. If the resume isn’t pulling, look around for good formats, LEARN to make your resume look almost “exactly like the job you want.” If it doesn’t exactly match, make sure that you rewrite it so it does. Reason: why hire a Cake Baker when you’re hiring and really need a Apple Pie Baker? (I’m giving you Gold here, Rolling Meadows).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

I am done with school, and now what? I will let you guys know if I found a job.

can't speak Spanish in Glendale, Arizona

41 months ago

Online job is fool of balloony. I've been applying for a job online for eight months now, I had few interviews but all they asked if I'm Bilingual in spanish. This is rediculous, I had the experience in the back office, but the problem is I don't speak spanish. What is happening now in america. If you only speak english then it's hard for you to find a job for Medical Assitant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

unknown in Glendora, California

41 months ago

jay in Fresno, California said: i graduated in 09 and yet to find a job the schol i whnt to said they would hepl me find a job and they did not they wantedme to enroll into cna program i was s mad i said i just paid all this money and now you want to tell me to go to schoo for somthing esle.. i dont think so .. shool name kaplan college in clovis ca

Kaplan College is by far the most disappointing medical school out there. Especially the one in North Hollywood, Ca. The sell you a dream. They told me that they would find me a job right after i graduate. It took them almost 3 months to place me into an externship. The president of the school is a complete moron. He never returned my calls about that. How professional? Kaplan College should be investigated and shut down. DO NOT GO TO KAPLAN COLLEGE. IT IS LIKE THROWING YOUR MONEY AWAY!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

azam2020 in Seattle, Washington

40 months ago

I just Graduated in July of 2007 as a Medical Assistant. I have applied to so many on line ads for this position, and I have not any Interview of them. I have a family and I really would like to find a job as a Ma or Medical Assistant. I will also relocate to any city and state with more Ma positions.

Thank you.
and advice is helpful...

N in Bartlett, Illinois

40 months ago

me too now I am certified MA and EKG I send too many resumes and I do not receive any single call. I live in IL.

azam2020 in Seattle, Washington

40 months ago

I just Graduated in July of 2007 as a Medical Assistant. I have applied to so many on line ads for this position, and I have not any Interview of them. I have a family and I really would like to find a job as a Ma or Medical Assistant. I will also relocate to any city and state with more Ma positions.

Thank you.
and advice is helpful...

azam tebyanian in Seattle, Washington

40 months ago

Thank you.
and advice is helpful...

azam 2020 in Seattle, Washington

40 months ago

Thank you.
and advice is helpful...

Lakerfan in Duarte, California

38 months ago

Where do you live??

dlee in Saint Paul, Minnesota

35 months ago

It is so true about Medical Assistant. I graduated one year ago and got nothing. Been to about 5 face to face interview and 3 phone screen and got no call back for the position. I probably say some things that are not good enough or am I just not professional enough!. I don’t know! Got an offer at small clinic for $12.00 an hour with no benefit and no PTO; nothing. Just straight $12.00 and then I decided to turn it down. Come to think of it, I do regret it not taking the job offer. I mean I should have taken the job for an experience but I thought that it was too low. I got my Registered Medical Assistant and deciding if I should get my Certified Medical Assistant. Is it worth it if I don't even have a job in that field?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Medical Assistant Resume in Springfield, Massachusetts

35 months ago

Your resume is one of the most important tools for getting an interview. When seeking employment opportunities you really want to have a couple drafts of your medical assistant resume on hand. One should be a high-quality, printed version, another should be saved in plain text, and another should be saved on our computer in a Word document format so it can be updated and changed if needed. The printable resume is perfect for sending to potential employers and the plain text document is ideal for contacting online employment opportunities through email.

If you need an example of a medical assistant resume and cover letter there is some good info at www.medicalassistant.net/sample_resume.htm

jerry@getoutoftheherd.com in Wilsonville, Oregon

35 months ago

I want to politely disagree. The resume has become a tool that acts as a buffer between the unemployed and those offering jobs. Multiply the number of students graduating from private business schools with certified medical assistant certificates times the number of operating business schools offering this curriculum and you'll see that the graduate tirelessly submitting resumes to get a job would have better odds in Las Vegas or a state lottery.

Three weeks ago I spoke to two college classes of upcoming graduates studying to be CMAs. Just last month two of the students tried one of my alternative approaches to job search, before graduating, and received job offers.

Here's my offer: I will gladly provide alternatives, free of charge, to anyone interested in exploring them. (my username is my email).

Want some examples? (1)relationships instead of resumes, applications, cover letters; (2)project proposals, (3)internship proposals; (4)surprise solutions to the problems of the employer, produced from intense research of the operations of the employer. Hard work, but far more efficient and effective than submitting resumes.

I'd love to hear your response.

Jackie in Wells, Maine

35 months ago

Thank you
any advice is helpful...

I'm in the same boat! Keep trying! good luck to you :)

Jackie in Wells, Maine

35 months ago

I'm in the same boat! I graduated Dec 2010 and have been a CNA for the past 11 years. I hear you it sucks wish you the best of luck and keep trying

jerry@getoutoftheherd.com in Wilsonville, Oregon

35 months ago

Jackie in Wells, Maine said: I'm in the same boat! I graduated Dec 2010 and have been a CNA for the past 11 years. I hear you it sucks wish you the best of luck and keep trying

My apologies if you get this twice. I just tried to post a reply and got an error message from Indeed. So I'll try again.
The people who could hire you are generally as confused by the employment process as the applicants. What they need is someone to take action to solve their problems, not someone to fill out yet another application or submit another resume. Still, they keep asking for and plowing through all of the paper or email.
This means an applicant with some heavy-duty imagination and perseverance can break through and show up as the solution they need.
Easy to say, but how do you do it?
Start by actually going, in person, to medical offices and HMOs and observing how they operate. See anything that could be better? A way to end the line of patients waiting to sign in for their appointment? A way to speed up the paperwork processing? Even better, a faster way to get them in and out of the examining physician's office? Pre-screening, a kind of triage? Then, when you speak to somebody there you start off distinguishing yourself as a problem solver, not just another graduate who wants a job.
Don't have any ideas to make things better? Spend some time on Google and see how the brightest and best clinics/offices are making life better for staff and patients.
Finally, if you'd move, find places where people DON'T want to go and go there. You'll get invaluable experience and, again, show up as a solution to their problems. Do these ideas help you?
Jerry

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

PD in Charlotte, North Carolina

34 months ago

Thank you
any advice is helpful...

i ALSO JUST GRADUATED AS A MEDICAL ASSISTANT CAN'T FIND A JOB AS WELL AND HAVE A DEGREE IN MEDICAL ADMINISTRATION IT IS SO DEPRESSING

PD in Charlotte, North Carolina

34 months ago

i HAVE ALSO GRADUATED AS A MEDICAL ASSISTANT CAN'T FIND A JOB EITHER

Matt, NCMA in Allen, Texas

34 months ago

Hi all, I know that you're angry about not being able to find a job as a Medical Assistant. I feel your pain it took me awhile to find a job, and when all seemed hopeless, a mircle happened, a job I applied for like 6 months prior, had called me and asked me if I was working and I said no. I was hired within 4 days, and now I'm working for the V.A. Hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah. The trick is you can't give up. You need to keep applying, and going to interviews. Merry Christmas everybody, and good luck.

A.SPRENGLING@GMAIL.COM in Union, New Hampshire

34 months ago

jerry@getoutoftheherd.com in Wilsonville, Oregon said: I want to politely disagree. The resume has become a tool that acts as a buffer between the unemployed and those offering jobs. Multiply the number of students graduating from private business schools with certified medical assistant certificates times the number of operating business schools offering this curriculum and you'll see that the graduate tirelessly submitting resumes to get a job would have better odds in Las Vegas or a state lottery.

Three weeks ago I spoke to two college classes of upcoming graduates studying to be CMAs. Just last month two of the students tried one of my alternative approaches to job search, before graduating, and received job offers.

Here's my offer: I will gladly provide alternatives, free of charge, to anyone interested in exploring them. (my username is my email).

Want some examples? (1)relationships instead of resumes, applications, cover letters; (2)project proposals, (3)internship proposals; (4)surprise solutions to the problems of the employer, produced from intense research of the operations of the employer. Hard work, but far more efficient and effective than submitting resumes.

I'd love to hear your response.

I would be interested in new ideas. I have been putting in resumes and cover leters and making phone calls to no out comes since feb. 2011 i am a ma grad,phlebotomist cert, cpr cert and emt on the ambulance crew, my background is working with the public from preforming to selling to health care my god they are just not hiring
please help

amandamabes@comcast.net in Absecon, New Jersey

33 months ago

dlee in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: It is so true about Medical Assistant. I graduated one year ago and got nothing. Been to about 5 face to face interview and 3 phone screen and got no call back for the position. I probably say some things that are not good enough or am I just not professional enough!. I don’t know! Got an offer at small clinic for $12.00 an hour with no benefit and no PTO; nothing. Just straight $12.00 and then I decided to turn it down. Come to think of it, I do regret it not taking the job offer. I mean I should have taken the job for an experience but I thought that it was too low. I got my Registered Medical Assistant and deciding if I should get my Certified Medical Assistant. Is it worth it if I don't even have a job in that field?

You shouldn't have turned that job down. I have been a certified medical assistant for 4 years and I make 13/hr, started at 10. You have to forget what the school told you. A medical assistant will rarely make more than 15 an hour with alot experience, the market is flooded.

mslady424@yahoo.com in Drums, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

I know where you all are comming from..im a CNA.. as well as an Medical assistant.. i find it much easier to find a job as a nursing assistant than a MA.. its just not a need for a medical assistant in so many words as much as there is a need for LPN's RNS's and so on.. i will be starting LPN school in October.. wish you all the best!

Ashley Wilks in Newport News, Virginia

28 months ago

I graduated from Everest in Feb. and I too am not able to find a job at all. I have applied to numerous places with no luck, I feel like I completely wasted my time even going. I use to think that I was not getting any interviews because I am only 19 and maybe people judge me off that but then I realized that is ridiculous. I maintained a 4.0 the entire run of school as long with perfect attendance. I worked hard and I feel like I did it for nothing. Considering I am young I was thinking about not getting certified as a MA and just go back to school for something else. Maybe LPN or RN? I heard MAs are doing LPN jobs now, is that true? If so I will just get out the medical field completely and try something new.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

QUICKAPP Employment in Fresno, California

28 months ago

Dear Ashley,

"No, you're not crazy for feeling frustrated." In fact, it is typically the responsibility of Vocational Education Schools such as Everest, to develop a Career Placement Plan and "place you into an Externship Program approximately 12-14 weeks prior to graduation. It’s even a part of their covenant and conditions to receive initial and on-going accreditation to receive public funding if they wish to function as a private for-profit educational institution, receiving public dollars through income streams such as Pell Grants, etc. However, now is the time to work “closely with your school.” Haunt the Career Center Office if need be. They “have the “placement resources” and “staff” that are paid bi-weekly to assist you in achieving “your goals and objectives.” If their staff is getting a paycheck at the end of the week but you still don’t have a job, then they aren’t doing theirs. “That’s how it works and everyone worth their salt in the placement field knows this.”

Don’t let your age become a factor in all of this. You are an adult and have every expectation that you receive the full benefit of your bargain, and of course, a reputable educational institution is always committed to your success. So, take a step back, reset your job search, and understand what your recent outcomes were during your first or second round. Have the School’s Career Placement Staff take another hard look at You, your Resume, Cover Letters, and how to complete Corporate Employment Applications. Be open to constructive criticism. You may not like what you hear, but you may have to hear it to elevate yourself to the person that you know you are. Always believe in yourself. It’s not about all the No’s; Focus on the SINGLE YES that instantly changes your life! Do that first, then if you don’t make any headway, comeback and post another comment. QUICKAPP Employment Services, Fresno, California.

28 months ago

guest in Oakland, California said: Maintaining a 4.0 Everest GPA is nothing to brag about. Or better put, Everest has such low standards that getting a 4.0 GPA at Everest is nothing special. Go around and ask to see if the fact that you are an Everest graduate is hurting your chances. Are you competing against people with AA degrees from the public community college ??

It is something to brag about and I will always brag about it. Whether I went to a crap school or not. How dare you say it's nothing special. I went everyday I did my work on my own studied and passed test. No one was sitting next to me giving me answers I worked hard for my 4.0. Compared to a lot of other girls I know and went to school with there are numerous other things I could have been doing that would really be "nothing to brag about". I went to Everest straight out of high school because I wanted to get some kind of trade because I was unsure of what I wanted to do long term. I have no kids, I have never been in any legal trouble, never drank or smoke and nor do I ever desire to my head is on straight and I am trying not to be a statistic. I agree Everest is not the best looking thing on my resume but the fact that I tried should count for something. There are people with AA degrees who have kids and will have to be calling out every week for kid issues. Or people with AA degrees who have issues showing up late. There are people with AA degrees who barely got by. These unfortunately are all things you can not tell by reading a resume. I know one of my main problems is I do not have a year experience that most employers require. I thank you for your comment and I appreciate your input but I do think you could have worded what you said better I feel as though you just said "well you went to a crap school you will never get a job honey please who are you fooling".

28 months ago

QUICKAPP Employment in Fresno, California said: Dear Ashley,

"No, you're not crazy for feeling frustrated." In fact, it is typically the responsibility of Vocational Education Schools such as Everest, to develop a Career Placement Plan and "place you into an Externship Program approximately 12-14 weeks prior to graduation. It’s even a part of their covenant and conditions to receive initial and on-going accreditation to receive public funding if they wish to function as a private for-profit educational institution, receiving public dollars through income streams such as Pell Grants, etc. However, now is the time to work “closely with your school.” Haunt the Career Center Office if need be. They “have the “placement resources” and “staff” that are paid bi-weekly to assist you in achieving “your goals and objectives.” If their staff is getting a paycheck at the end of the week but you still don’t have a job, then they aren’t doing theirs. “That’s how it works and everyone worth their salt in the placement field knows this.”

Don’t let your age become a factor in all of this. You are an adult and have every expectation that you receive the full benefit of your bargain, and of course, a reputable educational institution is always committed to your success. So, take a step back, reset your job search, and understand what your recent outcomes were during your first or second round. Have the School’s Career Placement Staff take another hard look at You, your Resume, Cover Letters, and how to complete Corporate Employment Applications. Be open to constructive criticism. You may not like what you hear, but you may have to hear it to elevate yourself to the person that you know you are. Always believe in yourself. It’s not about all the No’s; Focus on the SINGLE YES that instantly changes your life! Do that first, then if you don’t make any headway, comeback and post another comment. QUICKAPP Employment Services, Fresno, California.

Thank you very much!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.