certified medical assistant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 126)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

catherine coleman in Waukegan, Illinois

91 months ago

I graduated from Olympia College and they are supposed to have job placement assistance, I graduated May 2006 and still unemployed. I've been looking and looking, been to 5 or 6 interviews, and like I said I'm still unemployed. I don't know if it's the school, if it's not an accredited school, or if it's me not saying the right things in the interview or if it's because I'm not really experienced in this field. I honestly don't know, but I'm still hanging in there, still looking for a Medical
Assistant position I'm not giving up yet. I'm just disappointed because I paid money and still paying school fees and don't have a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lawsoluci@yahoo.com in Chicago, Illinois

87 months ago

I graduated from Olympia College in March and yes I'm still looking for a job as well. You pay all this money to get in a good trade and the job placement assistance stinks. All they do here in Chicago is give you a few web sites to look into and that's it. I've applied to just about every hospital in the city of Chicago thru Careerbuilders, Monsters.com. Snagajob, Job Finders, and every other web site. They all excuse my language (SUCK). I say if the school can't find you a job you should get all of your money back. But I won't stop looking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LC in Cleveland, Ohio

87 months ago

Guide

I recently read on CareerBuilder.com that Medical Assisting is projected to "grow a whopping 52% through the year 2014". Now what is that supposed to mean? That there will be 52% more working and NON-working MAs by then than there is now? I read these kinds of figures 2 years ago when I was in school and figured it to be a good sign,that it meant growing respect,recognition and most importantly,employment. Now I feel like the whole thing is a scam. This is a field where you are told from the beginning that it's like the next best thing to being a nurse,and that since it was overtaking the LPN field (a mammoth lie),then there is bound to be a job waiting for you after graduation. Then you find out how low some places will pay and how many help wanted ads you will see in the paper on a monthly basis (a few). You get all this training and education,do lots of practice on your classmates and actual patients in your externship,and then you get to hear how the offices you applied at got someone from another office,the way many of them staff themselves when a position becomes available. In other words "You're not experienced enough". They may as well say "Go find another job and come back in a year or two".
The worst part is if you've been waiting a long time to get a job. The lucky ones find one within 3 months of classes ending,when the confidence level is high and they know they really want to do this. The unlucky ones see the months going by and run into one dead end after another til they get to the point of asking themselves "Do I really want to do this?", which is a defense mechanism kicking in for handling deep disappointment. Plus they feel like they have forgotten too much and are reluctant,almost afraid to keep trying,in case they do find something and don't think they can remember what to do. Meanwhile,they get to hear from classmates that DID find a job,and supposedly well meaning family members and friends about how you must not be trying hard enough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jake_EE in Elyria, Ohio

87 months ago

DITTO ON EVERYTHING
I HEAR IT ALL IN MY FIELD OF ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING JUST LIKE YOU!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda Miller in Portage, Indiana

86 months ago

I am sooo glad that I am not the only one that cannot seem to find a job! I have been looking for the past 4 months, and I feel like a complete failure. I have 2 years experiance and still nothing. Bills are piling up and everyone looks at me like why haven't you got a job yet? I just don't understand how a straight A student doesn't get work. I really wish that I had gone to a 2 year school instead of olympia college. Maybe then I could have snagged one by now!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

devilD in Sydney, Australia

84 months ago

my apology but when you are say job placement assistance did you mean head hunting

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

devilD in Sydney, Australia

84 months ago

there are a lot of other head hunting companies which you could look at ... some are aggressive ..some are just ,well, lets not go there shall we.....

andy in Watertown, Connecticut

80 months ago

hey, i dont want to sound rude or anything. I graduated with Cs and Ds I went to the first office I saw in my city, walked in spoke personally with a doctor there. We chatted about life about sports and such he hired me that same day. I make around 50 thoasand a year. life is not about qualifications. Its about how you treat people. TO be honest there wasnt even a job opened up I just told him hey you know what I like being around you, your a good person I feel like I could learn from you, he looked me right in my eyes and said your a good kid I hav ea job here for you, just be yourself, be charming be kind most important be SINCERE say what you feel. you only live life once dont get discouraged if this is what you want, go get it baby !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lakeysha in Chicago, Illinois

79 months ago

I graduated from Olympia also in the year of May of 2007 and I still have not found employment either. I thought I was on the right path, but it seems everyday I come in to contact with people who are just wasting their time. I owe alot of money for student loans and I can't even find a job as a medical assistant to pay for it. I really think I made a huge mistake and the sad thing is I'm stuck with the bill.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sybil in Detroit, Michigan

77 months ago

andy in Watertown, Connecticut said: hey, i dont want to sound rude or anything. I graduated with Cs and Ds I went to the first office I saw in my city, walked in spoke personally with a doctor there. We chatted about life about sports and such he hired me that same day. I make around 50 thoasand a year. life is not about qualifications. Its about how you treat people. TO be honest there wasnt even a job opened up I just told him hey you know what I like being around you, your a good person I feel like I could learn from you, he looked me right in my eyes and said your a good kid I hav ea job here for you, just be yourself, be charming be kind most important be SINCERE say what you feel. you only live life once dont get discouraged if this is what you want, go get it baby !

Right...Because, you know...the doctor doesn't care AT ALL about losing his license due to negligence and lack of qualifications on your part.

And I'm so sure that same doctor is paying you an RN's salary...

By the way, what type of school would pass you with D's in a health career field? Probably one of those tech schools that charges you $15,000 for 3 months of class. Ha...anything below a 75% at my school, for health careers, is failing....as it should be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Ally Spears in East Haven, Connecticut

77 months ago

I graduate from a medical assistant school in dec 2007 and finished my externship in Feb 2008 and did temporary work for a Dr of about 6 weeks and I am still unemployed I have gone on 2 interviews since and still nothing the places I have interviewed want more experience one place told me to do office work first What the F Ihave over 20 years of office work and still nothing My school has a career person that is suppose to find you a job it and when I applied to this school they said they place you in a job they are so full of it the students I have gone to school with dont have a job either and the students that have just finsihed their externship have no job either

I want to know why I cant find a job I graduated with honors past all of my conpentences with flying colors and still nothing What is wrong with me

I see all these cocmmericals for schools like it went to and they are full of you know what

Anybody else want to respond

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sybil in Detroit, Michigan

77 months ago

Ally Spears in East Haven, Connecticut said: I graduate from a medical assistant school in dec 2007 and finished my externship in Feb 2008 and did temporary work for a Dr of about 6 weeks and I am still unemployed I have gone on 2 interviews since and still nothing the places I have interviewed want more experience one place told me to do office work first What the F Ihave over 20 years of office work and still nothing My school has a career person that is suppose to find you a job it and when I applied to this school they said they place you in a job they are so full of it the students I have gone to school with dont have a job either and the students that have just finsihed their externship have no job either

I want to know why I cant find a job I graduated with honors past all of my conpentences with flying colors and still nothing What is wrong with me

I see all these cocmmericals for schools like it went to and they are full of you know what

I would demand that they place you, otherwise threaten them with a legal suite.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ally

77 months ago

dose placement mean that they will help you find aa job

mika in Mableton, Georgia

77 months ago

I'm going for medical assistant is it worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

LC in Cleveland, Ohio

77 months ago

Guide

ally said: dose placement mean that they will help you find aa job

It means they may try to help you find a job but sometimes it consists of nothing more than faxing out resumes for you,something you can do. The good schools will have someone with a lot of connections and clout who will make phone calls for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

LC in Cleveland, Ohio

77 months ago

Guide

mika in Mableton, Georgia said: I'm going for medical assistant is it worth it.

After reading all the posts on here,most of them filled with disappointment and frustration,do you really think it will be?

Alexis Bloom in Dekalb, Illinois

77 months ago

I cant stand olympia who is now everest. I went to everest and they are really bad. they cant even teach. I say the best school in chicago is Illinois school of Health Careers. Everyone that I know who went there are working.. I wenth there for 4 months when it used to be a six month program. Things happened financially and i had to leave. I wsh i'd finished. Now im taking my last couple of tests online at Penn Foster for my MA diploma. Yesterday I started Kaplan University online to work toward my Associates in Medical Assisting.

Katie

75 months ago

Illinois school of health Careers really Im thinking of applying there.
Which campus did your friends attend ohare or chicago??
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

plant

75 months ago

Ally Spears in East Haven, Connecticut said: I graduate from a medical assistant school in dec 2007 and finished my externship in Feb 2008 and did temporary work for a Dr of about 6 weeks and I am still unemployed I have gone on 2 interviews since and still nothing the places I have interviewed want more experience one place told me to do office work first What the F Ihave over 20 years of office work and still nothing My school has a career person that is suppose to find you a job it and when I applied to this school they said they place you in a job they are so full of it the students I have gone to school with dont have a job either and the students that have just finsihed their externship have no job either

Well, you write without punctuation. You use appalling grammar. "I graduate from a medical assistant school in dec 2007 and finished..."

It's, "I graduateD from a medical assistING school..." (Corrections in caps.) Sorry, but someone who is in the habit, even online, of not using correct grammar, punctuation and spelling is not qualified to work in a medical office. Remember, doctors have at least eight years' college education. They finished at the top of their high school and university classes in order to get into medical school.

My point: writing and speaking correctly make a HUGE impression on others. You may not notice this if you do not yet speak or write well. However, well educated people, such as doctors and college graduates, notice the slightest language errors.

Every time we write or speak is an opportunity to practice doing so well, including on applications and in interviews. But have heart: practice, and get an AA in English. You'll be ok.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

plant? in Ballston Spa, New York

75 months ago

plant said: Well, you write without punctuation. You use appalling grammar. "I graduate from a medical assistant school in dec 2007 and finished..."

It's, "I graduateD from a medical assistING school..." (Corrections in caps.) Sorry, but someone who is in the habit, even online, of not using correct grammar, punctuation and spelling is not qualified to work in a medical office. Remember, doctors have at least eight years' college education. They finished at the top of their high school and university classes in order to get into medical school.

My point: writing and speaking correctly make a HUGE impression on others. You may not notice this if you do not yet speak or write well. However, well educated people, such as doctors and college graduates, notice the slightest language errors.

Every time we write or speak is an opportunity to practice doing so well, including on applications and in interviews. But have heart: practice, and get an AA in English. You'll be ok.

This is an informal forum so if you're assuming her grammar on here is indicative of how she writes on job applications or performs in interview situations, you're sorely mistaken. Don't embarass yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jaymes in Ballston Spa, New York

75 months ago

Lakeysha in Chicago, Illinois said: I graduated from Olympia also in the year of May of 2007 and I still have not found employment either. I thought I was on the right path, but it seems everyday I come in to contact with people who are just wasting their time. I owe alot of money for student loans and I can't even find a job as a medical assistant to pay for it. I really think I made a huge mistake and the sad thing is I'm stuck with the bill.

laykesha, how much student loans do you have?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Diannela Nunez in New York, New York

75 months ago

I am sorry for what all of you are going through for future reference report the schools who have scammed you. The Wood Tobe- Coburn school in NYC offers medical assistance and has a 94% job placement.My advice is for people not to go into this field instead go straight into nursing that's where the money is and the security that you will have a high paying job right after you graduate. Remember do not give up and make sure that you are a certified medical assistant. I hope I help someone... GOOD luck my fellow medical assistants...

plant

74 months ago

Lakeysha,

One thing that distinguishes you from almost every poster on this board is that you write in perfect English. That is extremely important.

You can hold your head high, knowing that you offer an employer an excellent command of written English, critical for the medical profession. Be sure to include with your resumes, and in interviews, a medical writing sample, perfectly written (have an English teacher from a local community college or high school check it first), and point out that you offer the vital skill of excellent spoken and written English (if this is the case.)

You will find work if you highlight that skill, because it is so important to the medical field.

Hang in there, you will succeed. Go get 'em!

For other posters on this board, use every writing opportunity, including writing or chatting on the internet, and on this board, to practice writing perfect English, including looking up any questions you have about grammar, vocabulary, or spelling in a dictionary and grammar reference book. These are key to your success.

Do take a community college level English course: enroll in a night class for this fall. No excuses, if you do not yet have an undergrad (Bachelor's degree.) That's just a couple of weeks away, so this week, find out about how to enroll. There is financial aid for those who need it. Best wishes.

plant

74 months ago

Here are perspectives I've developed over the years about formal education, from my own and others' experiences. I hope they are helpful to anyone on this board.

1. In the United States, there are two doors in life, financially and socially. One is labeled "Undergrad Degree (Bachelor's Degree)," the other is labeled "No Undergrad Degree." How much we earn, how we will be treated, how people think about us, and who will socialize with us all depend on which door we have walked through. This may not be fair, and there may be some exceptions, but generally, this is the case.

A person with only an AA or vocational degree yet goes under the heading "No Undergrad Degree."

(I am 46, with an AA, now at a four-year school earning my undergrad, for these reasons.)

2. Until a person has graduated from college(gotten at least her undergrad), she has not yet finished her education.

3. If money is tight, and you need to work, at least take one class every semester toward your undergrad (120 units of *specific* classes: get the list from a counselor!) If a typical class is 3 units, it will take ~40 classes to graduate. Taking one class each in fall, spring, and summer, it will take ~13 years plus one semester to graduate.

That may seem long, but those years will pass anyway, so a person might as well be passing that time working slowly but surely toward her undergrad.

4. Once a person starts college, taking just one class, if necessary, at a community college while working, opportunities will arise. She will see full-time students living on virtually no money, and learn how they do so. Those students and the counselors will tell her how to get financial aid, scholarships, find cheap housing near campus to eliminate car expenses by biking, how to get part-time campus jobs allowing her to study while working, etc. Then she can graduate in far less than 13 years.

An AA isn't a waste, just a stepping stone. Keep going: you can do it! Register now for fall!

plant

74 months ago

[QUOTE who= Ballston Spa, New York"]This is an informal forum so if you're assuming her grammar on here is indicative of how she writes on job applications or performs in interview situations, you're sorely mistaken. Don't embarass yourself.

Jaymes,

No embarrassment here. Do you know this person and how she writes on job applications? People who know English well are uncomfortable using incorrect tenses, wouldn't make these errors, or entirely eliminate periods in writing to the point it is unclear. We can't say EITHER way if someone would write a certain way here versus on the job, but what was written suggests more care, and more English classes are needed. (Short-hand in posts, and an occasional typo on a board is different.)

It is just something to consider. My intent isn't to be unkind, but to ask that people in the medical profession be attentive, and have sufficient skills and education to work in what is, after all, a *professional* field.

As a healthcare client and worker, I am very tired of dealing with MAs with such poor and even crude communication skills that it interferes with their ability to perform their jobs politely and effectively.

People pay good money for health care, which requires professional-level education. We don't expect an MA to have eight-plus years of college, but excellent grammar, spelling, and vocabulary are a must.

Because our healthcare system is broken and running out of money, people who really don't yet have the education to be working in medical offices are being encouraged to go into the field. It may be a great opportunity for the applicant, but what about for the clients and colleagues?

My point is, yes, people on this board may or may not have been ripped off, and if they have, that is terrible. Please take heart, and all you have learned from all your educational experiences, and keep adding to them, preferably through fully accredited PUBLIC community colleges and universities.

jessica in Memphis, Tennessee

74 months ago

catherine coleman in Waukegan, Illinois said: I graduated from Olympia College and they are supposed to have job placement assistance, I graduated May 2006 and still unemployed. I've been looking and looking, been to 5 or 6 interviews, and like I said I'm still unemployed. I don't know if it's the school, if it's not an accredited school, or if it's me not saying the right things in the interview or if it's because I'm not really experienced in this field. I honestly don't know, but I'm still hanging in there, still looking for a Medical
Assistant position I'm not giving up yet. I'm just disappointed because I paid money and still paying school fees and don't have a job.

I graduated nov 06 from remington college for a medical assistant and i still haven't found a job remington keep sending me to interviews with assisted living companies that don't pay antything like i went to school to be a personal assistant(to wipe peoples butts) whats up with this

Mary in Spartanburg, South Carolina

74 months ago

catherine coleman in Waukegan, Illinois said: I graduated from Olympia College and they are supposed to have job placement assistance, I graduated May 2006 and still unemployed. I've been looking and looking, been to 5 or 6 interviews, and like I said I'm still unemployed. I don't know if it's the school, if it's not an accredited school, or if it's me not saying the right things in the interview or if it's because I'm not really experienced in this field. I honestly don't know, but I'm still hanging in there, still looking for a Medical

I went to school in 2004 and I am still looking for a Medical Assistant job also. I can't figure out what is wrong either, the school I went to was also suppose to have a job placement also

Cyndi in Tulsa, Oklahoma

74 months ago

Hi,

A certified nurses assistant (CNA) wipes patients butts, not a medical assistant, You should take the state or national certification test, and become a Certified Medical Assistant (CMA), also make sure you have your CPR or BLS certification. Many places require all of these certifications. In addition, recheck your resume make sure it is up to date and up with the times. You will want to purchase some books on interviewing; you will be surprised on what you will learn that you did not know. Have an employment portfolio these are very important when going to an interview you have to sell yourself, let them know that you are the best applicant for the position. You should be applying at medical clinics, any doctor’s offices for front office or back office, minor emergences facilities, hospitals. Most nursing homes hire CNA’s and CMA’s which in this case is a certified medication administrator, all they do is give medication to the patients. So remember there are two types of CMA’s. I do not know what college you went to but they should be helping you with your resume and helping you find employment no matter how long you have been out of school. I went to Vatterott College and after completing my degree took the national certification which means that I can work in any state in the U.S., taking a state certification means you can only work in your state, and if you move out of state you will have to take there state certification and so on. Plus most colleges offer the certification test, so you need to ask. The certification test is based on what you were tough at the college you went to.
There is a fee to take the certification test I do not what is would be where you live but, if you do not pass the first time you have to wait six months to take it again, and if you do not pass the second time you will have to wait another six months, and if you do not pass the third time you never get another chance.

Good Luck
Cyndi

Cyndi in Tulsa, Oklahoma

74 months ago

Hi,

A certified nurses assistant (CNA) wipes patients butts, not a medical assistant, You should take the state or national certification test, and become a Certified Medical Assistant (CMA), also make sure you have your CPR or BLS certification. Many places require all of these certifications. In addition, recheck your resume make sure it is up to date and up with the times. You will want to purchase some books on interviewing; you will be surprised on what you will learn that you did not know. Have an employment portfolio these are very important when going to an interview you have to sell yourself, let them know that you are the best applicant for the position. You should be applying at medical clinics, any doctor’s offices for front office or back office, minor emergences facilities, hospitals. Most nursing homes hire CNA’s and CMA’s which in this case is a certified medication administrator, all they do is give medication to the patients. So remember there are two types of CMA’s. I do not know what college you went to but they should be helping you with your resume and helping you find employment no matter how long you have been out of school. I went to Vatterott College and after completing my degree took the national certification which means that I can work in any state in the U.S., taking a state certification means you can only work in your state, and if you move out of state you will have to take there state certification and so on. Plus most colleges offer the certification test, so you need to ask. The certification test is based on what you were tough at the college you went to.
There is a fee to take the certification test I do not what is would be where you live but, if you do not pass the first time you have to wait six months to take it again, and if you do not pass the second time you will have to wait another six months, and if you do not pass the third time you never get another chance.

Good Luck
Cyndi

Raine in East Orange, New Jersey

74 months ago

I have been reading your stories and its either you were mislead by your medical assisting training school, which is very doubtful, due to the liability to the shcool, or you were not clear on what they may offer you after completion. First you are taking a class to become a Medical Assistant, hopefully you have done your research on the schools program - School cannot promise placement (job) if you ever beleive that you just crawl out from under a rock. They try to place you into a job. It is up to you to perform a good interview and have applied yourself in the classes. Do not depend on the school to get you a job. You need to apply yourself as you did attending the MA classes. Hopfully you were not the ones who thought, Hey I paid for this certificate and for a job in the field. (Bad attitude).

I have known college graduates with a degree in certain fields of study and have not found the job they went to school for. So those who want to become medical assistants don't feel the school you attended was giving you the run around.

There are so many avenues this field can take you. You just need to take a positive approach. I have been a Medical Assistant for 10 years, and with networking I never had a problem with finding a job. I was at my last job for 7 years before I moved to New Jersey, its been almost a year that I was unemployed and finally found a job as Medical Assistant instructor and evaluator. During the year I unemployed I was working as a paramed, doing insurence exams at applicants home. Like I said there are so many avenues to approach into finding a job and wish all the best..

Lo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Frances Ledbetter Samaniego in Doniphan, Nebraska

73 months ago

I too, graduted from an accredited Medical Assisting program in May 2007 from Central Community College, and still have not found a job as a medical assistant. It really has made me feel like it has all been a waste. I have been working in factory jobs just to pay my bills instead of being able to use my degree (Associates) which really sucks. I have went on interviews and then a week or two later I receive a letter basicly saying "Thank you for applying but we've choosen another person" and those letters don't feed my kids. It has been really starting to piss me off.

lo in Bloomfield, New Jersey

73 months ago

Sorry to hear about your experiences with interviews and the outcome. Did you try to networking or even working as a temp through an agency. How about taking on a part time position with your full time, that may lead into full time. I know having kids with a full time job is alot work, just think of the outcome. You wlll set an example for the little ones, that when you want something badly you have to keep on going. There are ways getting into the doors of these medical practices, don't give up. Best of luck..
Lo

joan in Marietta, Georgia

73 months ago

Cyndi in Tulsa, Oklahoma said: Hi,

A certified nurses assistant (CNA) wipes patients butts, not a medical assistant, You should take the state or national certification test, and become a Certified Medical Assistant (CMA), also make sure you have your CPR or BLS certification. Many places require all of these certifications. In addition, recheck your resume make sure it is up to date and up with the times. You will want to purchase some books on interviewing; you will be surprised on what you will learn that you did not know. Have an employment portfolio these are very important when going to an interview you have to sell yourself, let them know that you are the best applicant for the position. You should be applying at medical clinics, any doctor’s offices for front office or back office, minor emergences facilities, hospitals. Most nursing homes hire CNA’s and CMA’s which in this case is a certified medication administrator, all they do is give medication to the patients. So remember there are two types of CMA’s. I do not know what college you went to but they should be helping you with your resume and helping you find employment no matter how long you have been out of school. I went to Vatterott College and after completing my degree took the national certification which means that

73 months ago

HI... I REALLY ENJOYED READING YOUR COMMENT...
IT DEFINITELY ENCOURAGED ME...
I RECENTLY COMPLETED MY EXTERNSHIP IN WHICH I RECIEVED VERY
GOOD REMARKS AND EVEN THE POSSIBILTY OF EMPLOYMENT...
HOWEVER,MY ONLY CONCERN IS CREATING AN EFFECTIVE RESUME..

Raheed in Ballston Spa, New York

73 months ago

Why do people waste their time going to school for medical assistant? It's the lowest paying position in the health field. If your not gonna motivate yourself enough to become a doctor, then at least become some kind of nurse, preferable a RN if you hope to make any kind of money because no one wants to do a nurses' work, therefore salaries are higher. I find it funny how medical assistant programs advertise on television, that should be hint number one not to pursue the "field". If they're gonna spend money advertising on television it's because they are not getting enough applications to fill their class. Hello. Medical assistant has absolutely no career growth. But I do have to admit, along with my friends, once I'm a doctor I can't wait for the lifetime of cheap labor!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

betty in Derry, New Hampshire

73 months ago

LOL

73 months ago

lo in Bloomfield, New Jersey said: Sorry to hear about your experiences with interviews and the outcome. Did you try to networking or even working as a temp through an agency. How about taking on a part time position with your full time, that may lead into full time. I know having kids with a full time job is alot work, just think of the outcome. You wlll set an example for the little ones, that when you want something badly you have to keep on going. There are ways getting into the doors of these medical practices, don't give up. Best of luck..
Lo

For networking, you have to know people, and I don't. Most places see my last name and assume that I am fluent in Spanish, and when I tell them that I can read and write spanish, but I am not fluent in speaking it (I have to really think hard about how to say something in spanish), I usually get turned down cause they are looking for someone who is bilingual. I have only been studying spanish for about 13 yrs on and off, most of what I know I have picked up just by being married to a Tex-Mex. I think I may have to move in order to get a job in the Medical Assistant field. Unfortunately, my kids are in high school and moving may hurt them with their credits to graduate, so I am stuck for the time being. I do have my certification from the AAMA.

73 months ago

Raheed in Ballston Spa, New York said: Why do people waste their time going to school for medical assistant? It's the lowest paying position in the health field. If your not gonna motivate yourself enough to become a doctor, then at least become some kind of nurse, preferable a RN if you hope to make any kind of money because no one wants to do a nurses' work, therefore salaries are higher. I find it funny how medical assistant programs advertise on television, that should be hint number one not to pursue the "field". If they're gonna spend money advertising on television it's because they are not getting enough applications to fill their class. Hello. Medical assistant has absolutely no career growth. But I do have to admit, along with my friends, once I'm a doctor I can't wait for the lifetime of cheap labor!

I have to disagree with you on MA's not having any career growth. I have a few friends who make over $45,000. yearly and have become medical administrators and office managers. You can teach MA programs, become a Life ins. examiner, medical biller, chart reviewer, should I continue? Becoming a MD these days, I hope you can earn a fairly good salary with own practice. These days, Dr's need to get into a multi practice and hope to make $$$ because the ins co's has these Dr's by the b-lls to get payment... Who needs to be on call and to be taken away from family functions. Not for me. My job now working as a MA instructor well, I can say just on the money as a registered nurse. Research - Reseach before making judgement.

Lo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

I am sure your school will help you with a resume format. If not, there are so many web sites to help you out with writting a resume or check with your local library. Best of luck..

Lo

73 months ago

Frances Ledbetter Samaniego in Doniphan, Nebraska said: For networking, you have to know people, and I don't. Most places see my last name and assume that I am fluent in Spanish, and when I tell them that I can read and write spanish, but I am not fluent in speaking it (I have to really think hard about how to say something in spanish), I usually get turned down cause they are looking for someone who is bilingual. I have only been studying spanish for about 13 yrs on and off, most of what I know I have picked up just by being married to a Tex-Mex. I think I may have to move in order to get a job in the Medical Assistant field. Unfortunately, my kids are in high school and moving may hurt them with their credits to graduate, so I am stuck for the time being. I do have my certification from the AAMA.

Networking, you can network on line and through AAMA, just give it a try.. You do not have to speak spanish to become a Medical Assistant. Second language in any career is always a plus. I moved when my daughter was in her second year of HS, she adjusted and did very well. Every situation is different. You can work around this. Find your way.. Good luck..

plant

73 months ago

Networking is challenging, but you may be surprised how many people you know and can help you.

I highly recommend, The Very Quick Job Search, (library book) by J. Michael Farr. Fantastic job search advice - the best I've seen, from many career/job search classes.

Two networking tips:
1. A Farr exercise:
Make a list of everyone you know by name, who knows your name, starting with your immediate and extended family, then store clerks, people in your doctor's office, neighbors. They are your network. Everyone has at least a friend of a friend who is in the medical profession - or at least goes to a doctor!

2. Call everyone on the list, starting with those you know best. If they aren't in a position to hire someone with your skills, you can begin with, "The reason I called is to let you know I'm looking for a job and thought you might be able to help. Let me tell you about myself...."

Tell them, (this script, exactly - write it all out in advance, 30 seconds long): "Hello. My name is _________.
I'm interested in a position as a ________. I am a Certified Medical Assistant, with _______ years of experience. I have done this, this and this (either medical jobs, or any volunteer or personal experience related to taking care of people or handling office-type work. Add up the length of experience doing all of those things, and say what the total length of experience is you have. It does not have to be from a medical job - or any job, as long as it's related to your objective.) I am a graduate of ________. I am _______, _______, and _______ (3 of your best qualities that someone hiring someone with your skills would want in an employee.) When can I come in for an interiew?"

An interview is not just a meeting for an open position. Most jobs, as you know, are given to people someone knows - before they post the job opening. So just having a meeting with someone who hires people w/your skills to discuss those skills and their needs = an interview.

plant

73 months ago

More networking tips, again, from Farr:
Ask 3 times for an interview:
1. "When may I come in for an interview?"
"I don't have any openings right now."
2. "That's ok. I'd still like to come in and talk with you about future openings."
"I really don't plan on hiring within the next six months."
3. "Then I'd like to come in and learn more about what you do. I'm sure you know a lot about the industry, and I'm looking for ideas on getting into your field and moving up."

3 Essential Questions to Get Referrals (from acquaintances, etc.):
1. Do you know anyone w/an opening for a person with my skills?
2. Do you know anyone who *might* know of anyone who would?
3. Do you know someone who knows a lot of people?
Then call the person you're referred to, and tell them who referred you.

Write a JIST card - a mini resume printed on a 3x5 card, based on the phone script in my previous post. Office supply stores carry Avery (or similar) brand cards perforated into 3x5 cards that can be printed on,separated, and handed out to everyone you meet. 3x5 cards are better than business cards, because they're bigger, can hold more info, and can't be filed easily, so people leave them on their desks, etc.

Best wishes! You can do it. And congrats on your Spanish - ANY is a big plus, and you needn't be fluent (or bilingual) to be valuable to an employer.

Go get 'em :)

plant

73 months ago

Ok, two last wonderful tips people have kindly shared with me:

1. Make a portfolio. A 1/2" black binder, with plastic sleeves (office supply store). Put your resume in the front sleeve (with extras in the binder pocket.) In the other plastic sleeves, put your diploma, certifications, and samples of your work or writing (especially nice if you have a paper or test with an "A" on it!) Ask your teachers for letters of recommendation, and ask anyone else you know (other than immediate family) to do the same. Type your references and include it, with spare copies.

This will build your confidence, give you a professional look, and be an opportunity to talk w/people about your skills.

2. Go on nformational interviews. If you're shy or nervous about interviewing, call people in your field who are in a position to hire people with your skills, and ask them for an informational interview, to learn about their profession and experience. People love to talk about themselves. Bring a list of questions about the profession, how they got in, and any tips for getting into the field. Bring your portfolio, with resumes in it. Mail a thank you note that day, with your JIST card in it.

Best wishes.

73 months ago

HI... I RECENTLEY READ YOUR COMMENTS..
VERY HELPFUL NOT TO MENTION ENCOURAGING!
I JUST COMPLETED MY EXTERNSHIP AND IN THE PROESS OF
UPDATING MY RESUME...
I AM THINKING OF MAYBE GOING THROUGH A PROFESSIONAL SERVICE

73 months ago

Most of my family lives in Texas, Arkansas, and Florida, the only family I have here is my teenagers. Not everyone see a doctor, I don't, because I have no insurance and can't afford to see a doctor, and I know a lot of others just like me, who do not have a doctor to see for the same reason, as a matter of fact that is even most of my family. I have called my instructors many times, and they usually say there is nothing. As for my teenagers, my son actually lost credits when I switched him from one town to another one a year ago, and he is still behind, if I switch him schools again, he may give up, although I would try not to let him do that, as a parent, you can only push so much. For some people, things are not as simple as they are in a book and some just really truly don't know enough people for networking. I have to hope that someplace, someone, will be willing to give me a chance. I just have faith that things will work out like they are suppose to sooner or later.

73 months ago

I understand where you are coming from. I also don't have health care benefits and I have a history of cysts, that are now due for recheck. I moved with my daughter from New York to New Jersey, due to illness in family. I did not have any contact/network, at that time and did get this job on my own. But volunteering is a start and become friends with an employment agency for temp to perm employment. I too am a beleiver in things happen for a reason. Find out from the school how he can make up those credits lost due to transfer. I cannot imagine why he would lose those credits from changing town schools. My daughter got lucky, she earned more credits by taking on extra classes just in case, even though the school advisor told her she can transfer her credits from another state. I wish you and your family the best.

Lo

regina in Chicago, Illinois

73 months ago

I ALSO ATTENDED OLYMPIA COLLEGE AND FINISHED IN MAY OF 2007, I ATTENDED THERE MEDICAL ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT PROGRAM AND YET I STILL HAVE NOT FOUND EMPLOYMENT I ALSO HAVE AN ASSOCIATES DEGREE THAT I EARNED FROM TAYLOR BUSINESS INSTITUTE AND STILL HAVE NO JOB NOW I JUST PLAN ON GOING TO DEVRY FOR MY BACHELORS DEGREE IN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY OR ST.XAVIER FOR MY RN IN NURSING UNDICIEDED BUT WILL DECIDED FAST

Common Sense in Ballston Spa, New York

73 months ago

Could I recommend you going to a real college so you can get a real job? Devry is another fake school. Jesus, try going to a real 4 year university such as $yr state schools. Hello? what a waste of money

73 months ago

betty in Derry, New Hampshire said: You are a very ignorant person ! Hello?
You do not belong on this site! Go now, and take the lords name with you. You are not wanted here.

Your right, I need to share thoughts will some intelligent people. Maybe those who have brains will join me. I know there are a few, just by reading their posting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

betty000@comcast.net in Derry, New Hampshire said: <Edited by Host: Libelous comment removed>

Maybe you should read your contract with the school before you pass judgement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.