certified medical assistant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 1164)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

LC from Ohio in Elgin, Ohio

93 months ago

Debbiein Janesville, Illinois said: Wendy,
What is an LNA ? I graduated in May 2006. I have done almost 150 applications and Resume's and still no job.

I think it is a nurses aide. I have found out that the nurses aide and home health aide programs are shorter (sometimes a few weeks) and a lot cheaper. I am hearing of some places hiring aides to fill MA and phlebotomy jobs,and I am kicking myself for going to school for 9 months and taking out a loan. I admire aides but I don't want to be one but neither do I want to be constantly losing out on jobs that I applied for either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Spokane, Washington

93 months ago

yesenia in Los Angeles, California said: not to be critical honey, you really need to practice your spelling. A lot of jobs make you do spelling and alphabetizing test before hire. If you want to work in the medical field it is so important for documentation, and if anything ever goes to court.

I totally agree. I was just going to say that if your posts are anything like your applications and resumes it is easy to see why you are not getting hired. The spelling and typing errors here are horrible. I have been an MA since 2002 and I have been at home raising my kids since I finished my externship. I just decided in the last few months to go back to work and I got a great job within last 2 months. I make 10.50 an hour in an OBGYN office and the people I work for are AMAZING. Looking for a job is a full time job. You have to put the time and effort into it. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Amie in Akron, Ohio in Dover, Ohio

93 months ago

I graduated from my MA course (900 hr. plus 180 hrs of externship) last June and passed my certification with a 99%. The course was $4800, but with grants I only had to pay half that. I got pregnant towards the end of the school year and decided not to look for work until after the baby was born. The Dr. I did my externship for happened to be at the hospital for a newborn exam while I was there, and she offered me a job whenever I was ready to start working! I've been there a few months now and I absolutely love it! It's a 2 Dr. practice and I get to draw blood, do EKG's, neurometrics, bone density scans, assist with paps and minor surgeries and numerous other things. I just wish it payed what we're worth. If we can do almost anything an LPN can do, why aren't we paid accordingly? I started at $8.75/hr. :-( There are great benefits though, which helps.

natasha

93 months ago

you are good great benifits get your experience for about a yaer then go look in a hospital thats where the real money is, but atleast your in the door keep up the good work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dee in New Hyde Park, New York

93 months ago

MARSHA ANDERSON in Bronx, New York said: THIS IS REDICULOUS I am a certified medical assistant since oct 06 and still cant get a job it seems like every where I apply they needd experience HOW am I going to get the experience if someone dont give it to me

It is very true but if you know how to sell your self you will get a job because i have finished my 9 month in school 3 weeks ago and get a job without been certified as yet

dee in New Hyde Park, New York

93 months ago

Alane in Sarasota, Florida said: I am sorry to hear all the Medical Assistants are not being hired in your areas. I live in Florida and jobs in healthcare for Medical Assistants are in great demand. I used to be one myself and never had a problem finding work in Pittsburgh, PA. I have recruited for the Medical Society here in Florida and I
must say your resume is your first impression. Perhaps you need some help to perfect your resume. I can help
you if you'd like. Let me know. I have a nice resume
format for you to use. Write back if you want help.

you can send me your resume format at kimberly34@netzero.net thank you

Rene in florida in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

93 months ago

I'm almost done with school and was curious of what I would be making on a job doing this.

Kim in Dover, Ohio

93 months ago

Rene in florida in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: I'm almost done with school and was curious of what I would be making on a job doing this.

I'm sure it varies since you're in Fla., but around here starting pay ranges from $8- $12/hr, depending on what kind of Dr. you are working for.

Margie in Elgin, Illinois

93 months ago

Best of luck to you, try and stay where you do your internship, I have been unlucky my site had to many employees and so since November I have been searching for a job, I passed my state test have all my certificates etc... but all the places I have been to which is practically everywhere in the chicago region wants at least 1-2yrs experience and alot of places are hiring LPN's or Nurses. Most places out here in Chicago starts out between $14-17 an hour. so good luck an keep me posted

Claudette in Gay, Georgia

93 months ago

I am in Columbus Georgia and they pay from $8 to $16 per hour depends on your experience and certification

natasha

93 months ago

dee in New Hyde Park, New York said: you can send me your resume format at kimberly34@netzero.net thank you

i am going to send you my resume to see if my format is good because my school did for me so let me know ok. i live in manhatten, ny

natasha

93 months ago

do not give up i am going through the same right now but i just send my resumes to the hospital for registrar and clerical work, trust me some one have to give us a try

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Danielle in Elgin, Illinois in Elgin, Illinois

93 months ago

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I want give up!

LC in Dayton, Ohio

93 months ago

How does everybody feel when they look over the other posts on these forums and see that this is a nationwide problem,that scores of other trained and certified MAs are not fnding anything? Does it make you feel better to know that it's not just you or does it cause even more discouragement? How about if you are looking at an MA website (like "Advanced Medical Assistant") and see on their message board a lot of posts about how there ARE jobs out there and that having a lot of negativity about not getting one sends out "bad vibes"? To me,I think that it isn't fair to almost blame someone who is having trouble obtaining what they were almost promised in the end,or at least what they are entitled to have( a JOB) ;and that it's only human nature to feel bitterness and yes,NEGATIVITY,to be struggling like this when we shouldn't have to be. Those who
got a job quickly don't realize what a blow to self worth this all is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cheryl in Plainview, New York

93 months ago

rose in Gainesville, GA said: i got certified and no one wants to hire you because you don't have a year's experience. This is very disappointing to find out I went to school for nothing! i have faxed, hand delivered, called, replied to ads and nothing keep getting the same story everywhere

It's unbelievable because I thought me and my 4 friends who also graduate from school as a medical assistant, can't find jobs either. We figured we are getting our AS Degree so someone has to hire us, but nothing, and my loan is over 10 thousand. Every place i went to want experience, but im saying if no one hire me i will never have the paid experience. IM SO MAD

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LC in Creston, Illinois

93 months ago

cheryl in Plainview, New York said: It's unbelievable because I thought me and my 4 friends who also graduate from school as a medical assistant, can't find jobs either. We figured we are getting our AS Degree so someone has to hire us, but nothing, and my loan is over 10 thousand. Every place i went to want experience, but im saying if no one hire me i will never have the paid experience. IM SO MAD

I hear you. Out of my class of 11,maybe 3 are working as MAs. Maybe. One I know for sure. The others gave up or are still butting their heads against a wall. Something has to be done about this "no experience" excuse,because a lot of these places that use it WILL hire in someone with hardly any-like the ones who did their externships there.
All current MA students need to talk about this extensively with their school's career coordinator,in class. Don't assume you will easily find a job. Some do but I don't think that is the norm.
I ended classes over a year ago and I finally swallowed my pride and have been trying to contact my school's career person,hoping he can help me. When I finally get hold of him,he is getting an earful. Based on what I have learned over the past year,these schools are putting out snow jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Dover, Ohio

93 months ago

LC in Creston, Illinois said: I hear you. Out of my class of 11,maybe 3 are working as MAs. Maybe. One I know for sure. The others gave up or are still butting their heads against a wall. Something has to be done about this "no experience" excuse,because a lot of these places that use it WILL hire in someone with hardly any-like the ones who did their externships there.
All current MA students need to talk about this extensively with their school's career coordinator,in class. Don't assume you will easily find a job. Some do but I don't think that is the norm.
I ended classes over a year ago and I finally swallowed my pride and have been trying to contact my school's career person,hoping he can help me. When I finally get hold of him,he is getting an earful. Based on what I have learned over the past year,these schools are putting out snow jobs.

Yeah, I don't think it's the norm to get hired so easily. Going into the course they were always saying how in demand MA's are and we'll never have trouble finding work. There was also a wait list a mile long to get into the class at all! I was afraid to NOT take the job when it was offered to me for fear of never finding another one. lol

LC in Latty, Ohio

93 months ago

Kim in Dover, Ohio said: Yeah, I don't think it's the norm to get hired so easily. Going into the course they were always saying how in demand MA's are and we'll never have trouble finding work. There was also a wait list a mile long to get into the class at all! I was afraid to NOT take the job when it was offered to me for fear of never finding another one. lol

I also heard that "in demand" and "fastest growing field" stuff. We had so many papers handed out to us from the US Dept. of Labor,it was almost like they were trying to back up what they were feeding us. We were also told that the jobs never start out below $10 an hour(hah!) but never what to do if we keep running into the problem of being told the "lack of experience" excuse.
What these schools/programs should be teaching is how to aggressively look for a job,and to strongly advise students to take the first one offered,even if it is low wages and far away, and stick it out for at least 6 months. They need to stop sugar coating this field and be more blunt about it. Too many students are getting screwed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Dover, Ohio

93 months ago

LC in Latty, Ohio said: I also heard that "in demand" and "fastest growing field" stuff. We had so many papers handed out to us from the US Dept. of Labor,it was almost like they were trying to back up what they were feeding us. We were also told that the jobs never start out below $10 an hour(hah!) but never what to do if we keep running into the problem of being told the "lack of experience" excuse.
What these schools/programs should be teaching is how to aggressively look for a job,and to strongly advise students to take the first one offered,even if it is low wages and far away, and stick it out for at least 6 months. They need to stop sugar coating this field and be more blunt about it. Too many students are getting screwed.

Oh yeah. We were told what excellent pay we would be getting. One girl from my class got a job starting at $11, but she is the highest paid out of all of us. You've really got to love doing this or you might as well go get a job at Walmart and make the same amount of money. lol

Tess in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

93 months ago

Angie in Reston, VA said: Yes!! i have the same problem!!! I have 7 years experience in customer service and just finished school for medical assisting and i just got certified -- i've had about 4 interviews in 4 months -- 2 of the jobs offered me $7 an hour!! that is ridiculous-- i have to start paying back my student loans- i am a hard worker and deserve more than that-- if i had known this i would have gone to school for something else!!
any comments please reply
thank you and good luck to you Rose

I am in the same boat or the calls that I do get the offices are too far for me to travel(over one hour).

Tess in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

93 months ago

Tamika Moore in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Hi how are you? I have yet to find a job as a Medical Assistant. I finished school in july and nothing.

You must've went to Thompson???

Tami in Ventura, California

93 months ago

rose in Gainesville, GA said: i got certified and no one wants to hire you because you don't have a year's experience. This is very disappointing to find out I went to school for nothing! i have faxed, hand delivered, called, replied to ads and nothing keep getting the same story everywhere

Have you been able to get a job by now maybe I can help you I also am a Medical Assistant for may years May it could be your resume. Write to me and I real try my hardest to help you. Tamiharrison@yahoo.com

kayla burtnett in Tippecanoe, Ohio

93 months ago

he yguys out there i am gonna be gettin certified on may 1st and i am nerves i already got my certifiate but i take the test may 1st that is not even a week away wish me luck ever yone

LC in La Grange, Illinois

93 months ago

Guide

Tami-
I don't think it is my resume format,I got professional help with that. But would you or ANYONE happen to know just what are HR people LOOKING for when they see a resume,and could you tell the whole board what it is? Are they looking to see if the applicant is currently working in some form of medical setting,or working at all,or how long was their last job,or if they have had customer service experience,or has worked as a volunteer somewhere? It's no secret that it helps to know the right people yet my class was told to leave references off resume-is that true? Because otherwise we could use our own physicians as a reference,after getting their permission.
What about cover letters? I have read that they are extremely important,and that many hiring people will ignore a resume without one. But what are the right things to put in them? Should it be all business-like,professional sounding,or can you enter a little personal information-such as the fact that you are having difficulty in obtaining a position due to the lack of experience and would really like to be given a chance. Or does that sound too needy? Just what IS the right thing to say?

And Kayla-good luck on the exam next week. What agency is it through?

Loudie Noezile in Flushing, New York

93 months ago

I am a certify Medical Assistant, but no one want to hire me, because I don't have one year eperience.

Loudie Noezile in Flushing, New York

93 months ago

I am a certify Medical Assistant, but no one want to hire me, because I don't have one year experience.

tracy morris in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

93 months ago

I graduated in December 2006, since then i have been sending in resume's, to hospitals and clinics it is very frustrating, because no one ever gets back to me. Most employers want 1-2years experience. How do i get the experience if no one will hire me! Even the medical staffing agencys want 1-2years experience. I am starting to wonder if i chose the right field. i have also been told by some of my old classmates that some places want to start you at entry level pay 8.50 for example. The job i have now pays 12.oo an hour.

Claudette in Gay, Georgia

93 months ago

I would mention that no one is hiring me base on lack of experience. Thats not needy just stating the fact. Let them know you just want to be given a chance.

I am sorry you guys are not living in columbus georgia. I finished school march 2007 and I got 4 job offers and I am working and they started me off with $10 per hour and when I get certified they will increase it 14 of us finished from our class and 90% of us are working. I just checked my email and my instructor emails us with jobs. Medical Assistant jobs are here in Columbus, Georgia like crazy.
Sorry dont give up just hang on in there it will get better. This is a great profession

LC in Peoria, Illinois

93 months ago

Guide

Something that most of us are not told in our programs is how it seems to be a regional problem if you have trouble finding a job. Well,of course they are not going to admit that. It also helps to have a commited job coordinator who actually works hard at finding the jobs and getting the students placed in them. Many schools have someone who just faxes the student's resumes to places which is what they can do themselves. These types of workers should be reported to the school director as being lazy. The current career guy at my old school told me that he is going to job sites and talking with the ones in charge. But I have to wonder if he is only trying to help the current crop of recent grads,and not ones from months or a year ago.
He also told me that he has raised the job placement level to 80%. But then I found out that I was in that category and I am not even working anymore and I found that temp job on my own,yet the school is taking the credit for it. Geez.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

natasha

93 months ago

sounds like highway robbery to me of course the school want the credit so people can apply thinking they help you get a job when they are finish school, i finish school in feb and nothing yet lets see when i become certified in about a month if any results, all that they want someone with experience is crazy you have to try us thats how docs started someone gave them a chance. best of luck to all new york city girl

Danielle in Elgin, Illinois in Elgin, Illinois

93 months ago

don't worry it will be alright after while.
don't give up.

Amanda in North Charleston, South Carolina

93 months ago

I live in Charleston, SC and they are always looking for Certified Medical Assistants. The pay isn't too bad. I wish it was more but, it's in the double digits. I work for a big practice of 40 doctors plus mid levels in 12 different sites. I wish you all the best.

Tracey Caston

92 months ago

Alane in Sarasota, Florida said: I am sorry to hear all the Medical Assistants are not being hired in your areas. I live in Florida and jobs in healthcare for Medical Assistants are in great demand. I used to be one myself and never had a problem finding work in Pittsburgh, PA. I have recruited for the Medical Society here in Florida and I
must say your resume is your first impression. Perhaps you need some help to perfect your resume. I can help
you if you'd like. Let me know. I have a nice resume
format for you to use. Write back if you want help.[/QUOTE
I need some help, Please send me your resume format.

LATRICE in San Diego, California

92 months ago

I COMPLETED MY MA PROGRAM IN 98 AND WORKED AS AN MA UNTIL 20OO I HAD TO STOP WORKING BECAUSE I WAS PREGNANT AND ALSO HAD 2 YOUNG CHILDREN AT HOME. I AM NOW READY TO PURSUE MY EDUCATION IN REGISTERED NURSING BUT WOULD LIKE TO WORK AS AN MA UNTIL I FINISH. MY QUESTION IS AM I STILL AN MA? OR DO I HAVE TO START ALL OVER? HOW DO I GO ABOUT THE PROCESS OF GETTING BACK OUT THERE?

natasha

92 months ago

did you receive an certificate of completion,if so and you feel you need to brush up on your skills try to volunteer because i'm not sure if they are willing to give you a chance at work, you see people just gradATING and still can't get a job because they look for people with experience i am trying for clerical in the hospitals and its hard to get in and i am a ma with an associate degree about to become certified so amagine.

natasha

92 months ago

most people do not work when they pursue rn program because it's alot of work and it's usually in the day time like 9:00 to 5:00 so it really depends, you have to studying alot.

Larry Jones in Chicago, Illinois

92 months ago

Here is the trick. You already went to school for medical assisting and that lasted for about a year. So in fact you already have a years experience. You have drawn alot of blood and have done alot of vitals. So just be confident when you apply and express what you have already done.

LC in Neapolis, Ohio

92 months ago

Guide

A teacher told me "It's not so much the skills you have that gets you the job but how you sell yourself", so really the trick is to get the interviews so that you CAN express yourself and what you have done and what you can do. But what if you can't get the interviews? So many people are applying and not hearing anything at all. What should be done then-call and point blankly ask for an interview? Does that ever work?

LATRICE in San Diego, California

92 months ago

I DID RECIEVE A CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION, AND IM SURE BRUSHING UP MY SKILLS WOULD BE A GOOD THING BUT IM ALSO VERY CONFIDENT THAT I STILL KNOW AND CAN USE THE SKILLS THAT I LEARNED AND PRACTICED WHILE WORKING AS AN MA. I KNOW IT WONT BE EASY TO GET A JOB IM WILLING TO START WHERE EVER I CAN.ITZ JUST MY QUESTION IS AM I STILL AN MA SINCE I HAVENT WORKED SINCE 2000, OR WOULD I HAVE 2 GO TO SCHOOL FOR THAT ALL OVER AGAIN? HOW DO I GO ABOUT THIS?

Anonymous-CT in Bethany, Connecticut

92 months ago

You actually have to take continuing education classes EVERY year. Also, every 5 years you have to be RE-CERTIFIED. I am going to school right now to become a CMA so I know!! I hope this helps!! Also, are you national certified or did you just receive your certificate? You should visit American Associate of Medical Assistant(AAMA) website...Google it.

Kim in Dover, Ohio

92 months ago

LATRICE in San Diego, California said: I DID RECIEVE A CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION, AND IM SURE BRUSHING UP MY SKILLS WOULD BE A GOOD THING BUT IM ALSO VERY CONFIDENT THAT I STILL KNOW AND CAN USE THE SKILLS THAT I LEARNED AND PRACTICED WHILE WORKING AS AN MA. I KNOW IT WONT BE EASY TO GET A JOB IM WILLING TO START WHERE EVER I CAN.ITZ JUST MY QUESTION IS AM I STILL AN MA SINCE I HAVENT WORKED SINCE 2000, OR WOULD I HAVE 2 GO TO SCHOOL FOR THAT ALL OVER AGAIN? HOW DO I GO ABOUT THIS?

You are still a MA. If you got a national certification originally, you needed to renew that every year. You don't need to take the MA course again, but if you want to be a CMA you need to find out when you can take the exam.

LC in Lockbourne, Ohio

92 months ago

Guide

I have been trying to figure it out also. Why do some in a graduating class find jobs and others don't? The ones that do weren't necessarily the best students and the ones who don't could have gotten all As and did well on their externships. I have all sorts of theories-luck,the area where you live,age and looks,an impressive resume (great work history),a recognizable last name to the person hiring,being at the right place at the right time (back to the luck factor),etc. It still all boils down to too many gifted,well educated,anxious-to-work MAs,certified or not (what about all those that DON'T ever get certified and still get the jobs?) who are having so much difficulty in finding something.

Kim in Dover, Ohio

92 months ago

I want to throw out there for anyone in the NE Ohio area, since there seem to be a lot of us, that there are a few openings at Aultman hospital in Canton in the Lab starting at $11.90 with .50 extra on weekends. A girl from my class just got hired and she said they're still looking for more people. She didn't have any previous experience either.

deatra in Cincinnati, Ohio

92 months ago

Hi my name is deatra and I will like to ask you some questions about medical assisting. I have a paper due real soon and I do not know anyone in the field that I am taking up. If there is any way posiible that you can answer some question for me. If you can I would like if you could email me so that I can ask the question.

Kim in Dover, Ohio

92 months ago

deatra in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Hi I am a going to school to be a medical assistant and I have a paper due soon. I have to ask someone about the medical assistant field. If there is any way that you can email me back, to answer some of the qiestions that I have.

I will answer any questions you have. You can email me at cma2006@excite.com

deatra in Cincinnati, Ohio

92 months ago

what do you like most about your job?
what do you dislike about your job?
why did you choose the medical assistant field?
How long did it take you to get the job?
How did you go about getting expierence?
How did you go about your education,and where did you go?
What did it take for you to prepare for the job?
What are some benefits that the medical assistant's recieve? Thanks for responding to my email, I really appriciate it.

Kim in Dover, Ohio

92 months ago

deatra in Cincinnati, Ohio said: what do you like most about your job?
what do you dislike about your job?
why did you choose the medical assistant field?
How long did it take you to get the job?
How did you go about getting expierence?
How did you go about your education,and where did you go?
What did it take for you to prepare for the job?
What are some benefits that the medical assistant's recieve? Thanks for responding to my email, I really appriciate it.

Deatra,
This forum won't let me post such a long response, but if you email me at the address I listed above, I will gladly answer your questions.

Kim in Dover, Ohio

92 months ago

Kim in Dover, Ohio said: Deatra,
This forum won't let me post such a long response, but if you email me at the address I listed above, I will gladly answer your questions.

I'll try it in shorter posts.

What do I like most?
I really like getting to know the patients and talking to them. There are some really great people out there you'd never get a chance to talk to any other time. I like feeling that I'm doing something that matters. My favorite aspect of my job is phlebotomy and helping with minor surgical procedures.

Kim in Dover, Ohio

92 months ago

As far as my dislikes? It could absolutely pay more. lol There is a LOT of work for little pay, so you've really got to love doing this. Also, giving injections to little babies isn't fun. There aren't really too many negatives for me.

Kim in Dover, Ohio

92 months ago

Why did I choose the MA field?

I've always been interested in the medical field and I was browsing through a flyer for a local vocational school and the MA class seemed to have a lot going on that sounded fun.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.