medical assistant is a stupid career

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 1902)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

alicia

70 months ago

Hi everyone
I am giving up on a career as a medical assistant. I was offered a job in retail and I accepted it. At the retail job I will be making 2 dollars less than I did at the doctors offices that I worked at, I will be working nights and weekends, but I will be receiving health benefits within 90 days of employment. Its a shame that I went to school for 2 years to get my associates in medical assisting and I am one year way from earning my bachelors degree in psychology, now I'm going to be working at a job that I could have worked at with no schooling what so ever. Thank you for letting me vent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Phylicia in Fresno, Texas

70 months ago

Donita in Chicago, Illinois said: do not agree that CNA is in the same catergory as a Medical assistant. CNA can get thier certificate just by going to school for 3 weeks. Medical Assistants Schooling is a little more in depth. My mom is a LPN and she don't know how to do half of the things that I do. There are so many opportunity's being a Medical assistant, so many differents fields you can go into. Right now I work in an Opthamologists office and getting ready to be certified as an Certified Opthalmic Technichian. One more thing the test that we take to become an CMA/RMA is very in depth more than what people think. I think for the poeple who are not a Medical Assistant you can not speak on our behalves. Thank you

I am on externship right now. I hate it. They told me I can't take blood pressure right. I been practicing and practicing. I know the first beat or first loud beat u hear is the first number at the top and the last sound u hear is the bottom number. I think I would want to do optometry or something. Does

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CMA&PROUDOFIT in Evansville, Indiana

70 months ago

I am not here to tell most of you need to stop it right this minute. I think we all are adults and should act like one. I am sure that the LPN has a creed or an oath they practice by. The CMA Creed Below:

AAMA Medical Assistant Code of Ethics
The Code of Ethics of the American Association of Medical Assistants shall set forth principles of ethical and moral conduct as they relate to the medical profession and the particular practice of medical assisting.
Members of AAMA dedicated to the conscientious pursuit of their profession, and thus desiring to merit the high regard of the entire medical profession and the respect of the general public which they serve, do pledge themselves to strive always to:
A. render service with full respect for the dignity of humanity;
B. Respect confidential information obtained through employment unless legally authorized or required by responsible performance of duty to divulge such information;
C. uphold the honor and high principles of the profession and accept its disciplines;
D. seek to continually improve the knowledge and skills of medical assistants for the benefit of patients and professional colleagues;
E. participate in additional service activities aimed toward improving the health and well-being of the community.

AAMA Medical Assistant Creed
I believe in the principles and purposes of the profession of medical assisting.
I endeavor to be more effective.
I aspire to render greater service.
I protect the confidence entrusted to me.
I am dedicated to the care and well-being of all people.
I am loyal to my employer.
I am true to the ethics of my profession.
I am strengthened by compassion, courage and faith.

There is nothing on this creed that says: The CMA is better than the LPN. There is nothing here that says degrade each other until it hurts. I think all medical personnel are all wonderful. In the last three years I have taken care of a few family members. In the three years I can not

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

CONTINUE>>>>I think all medical personnel are all wonderful. In the last three years I have taken care of a few family members. In the three years I can not count the times we were at the doctor’s office, emergency rooms, and hospitals. It takes all kinds to make the medical field work to care for the sick/dying. Not one time was the nurses questioned by our family are you a RN, LPN, or CMA? What is the worse that could happen? Miss a vein, run the wrong test, grab the wrong chart, mistake the patient as the patient in the next room, OR the Big One receive the wrong meds or injections? These mistakes can be made by any health care employee. I was given the wrong short by a RN and I had problems for the next three months. I did not make a big deal over it, but I was glad it was not deadly. I have been sent home with the wrong prescriptions from the hospital. I just thank god that I know medicine. I have been sent for the wrong testing ECT… We are not god and we all make mistakes. What I am trying to say is a CMA is no better than a LPN, and a LPN is no better than a CMA. You both have job duties you must perform. Do your job with pride, because you would not be in this business if you did not want to help people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

CONTINUE>>>>>>>>>Some people are interested in the CMA field, and some people are interested in the LPN field.
If you say you was lied to, or persuaded by your school to take the CMA course you have no one to blame but your self. With the use of the computer you could find out anything you want to know including the Salary of each profession.
So, some LPN individuals need to get over who is allowed to do what. CNA individuals need to stop crying about there pay and go back to school and up-grade. It’s all about money. If you did not do your home-work on the different job areas and the salary this is your own fault. If you don’t have the money to go back to school work as a CNA until you can afford to go back. When you go back to school, and become a LPN do not forget where you came from!
We need to work together, and stop looking at our coworkers as initials. We all are humans with hearts.
Please do not waste your time telling me I need to use spell check, or what ever insult you may have.
If you have something kind to say I am all for it
Sorry it took three spaces to get in all I want to say

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Margaret in Saginaw, Michigan

69 months ago

I find it very hard to beleive why a MA would think that their education even comes close to that of a nurse. My main problem is the complex they have with telling everybody they do the "same thing". The two professions are completely different for a reason. A nurse holds a license in the state and is trained as a nurse, not trained to file and take vitals. An MA is a glorified monkey who is taught skills. They are not taught to think and react accodrdingly. So, if an MA wants to be a nurse, THEN BE A NURSE, otherwise shut your mouth and go file some papers!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

Donita in Gary, Indiana

69 months ago

What is you people problem trying to say which field is better i am a MA and i love my job and i get paid as much as a nurse do to say that MA are glorified monkeys i think there is some jealously and anger coming from somewhere if u hate your job then be hateful and go and keep feeling meaningless but me i love my job and i am not stressed like a nurse is nor do i work alot of hours i am a mother and a wife so if that is what u call a glorfied monkey then so be i am going to continue to be happy and love my job and no i do not ever want to be a nurse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Donita in Gary, Indiana

69 months ago

Donita in Gary, Indiana said: What is you people problem trying to say which field is better i am a MA and i love my job and i get paid as much as a nurse do to say that MA are glorified monkeys i think there is some jealously and anger coming from somewhere if u hate your job then be hateful and go and keep feeling meaningless but me i love my job and i am not stressed like a nurse is nor do i work alot of hours i am a mother and a wife so if that is what u call a glorfied monkey then so be i am going to continue to be happy and love my job and no i do not ever want to be a nurse

and to add to that i am not downing no one's position whatever u are then love and not hate on the next person for what they are doing oh and to the bitter nurse in Michigan and whoever else it applies to this forum is not a place for u to come and take out your frustrations and your dislikes about the next person's job but some where to come to offer support and to share each other's experiences

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

I think they are acting like children. WHO CARES!!!!! You are the title you went to school for, and if you don't like it move on. I am an Professor that teaches Medical Assistants. Starting next quarter we are going to have the Medical assistants and LPNs are to be combined in one large class. The reason for this are the classes are simular, and not enough instructors. A lot of the LPNs threw a fit and was told by higher up to GROW UP!!!! The only thing the LPNs get training for and MA don't it intravenouses. Inserting an IV
know the MA will get that same class together.
I say everyone needs to get a grip and be who you are and be proud!!!!! You are who you want to be and if not change, but in the process don't try to pull everyone else down with you. My kids fight in this manner, we are above that childes play so get over it!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

I you slow down and read the three post should show you I am not talking badly about anyone. Peace sounds better to me. I am a MA Professor trying to understand why people want to make others feel like crap.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

asha jackson in Chicago, Illinois

69 months ago

That was sooo mean of you to call people monkeys not only was that mean that was very UGLY that tells me alot about you. You need to get your life together and if the next person whats to be a Ma,CNA,RN, or whatever, thats their life and guess what the best thing about that is they dont have to be bothered with your triffling ass.Your

69 months ago

I think you might want to re-read what you think I wrote. I have never said such of a nasty thing. I am sorry you are up-set, but it is nothing I wrote

Donita in Gary, Indiana

69 months ago

the coments that we r referring to CMA are not towards u but they r directed to Margaret in Saginaw, Michigan

Hope& faith in Sunnyvale, California

69 months ago

Reading all this stuf about how MA is not good is really depressing. I am attending school to be an Administrative Med. Asst. I think it's sad for someone to talk like that.
My point is, I am going to be an AMA, then keep studying to be a nurse to work with Pediatrics. I am not finished with school and I have been offered a job paying $25hr. I have no experience in medicine, but I am learning. I do however have 10 years working as an Administrative Assistant, including working with an Immigration Attorney. All my experince shows I can work in many diverse areas, and love helping people. To me, working in the health industry is about helping others. I enjoy it, and in the long run, when I get hired, my pay will be commensurate to my experience. It also has a lot to do with how you represent yourself and the company you work for. I wish you all the best of luck for AMA, MA, CNA, RN, etc. I say just do what you love and know whats going to make you happy.

69 months ago

It was nice hear someone talk positive. The pay you will get is unreal. WOW!!
I live in Evansville, Indiana and I have an Assoicate Degree in Medical Assistant and the starting pay in a doctors office is about $12.00 - 12.50 and if your one of the very lucky ones you will get 13.00 But I am like you. This is the type of work I like or I should say love. I am 45 years old and when I think of going back to school I get sick to my stomach. I think the CMA is all the stress I want. LPN or RN would have been nice it I would have went back to school when I was young. I love this type of work and going back to this site is a big downer. Why people want to put others down I dont understand. We are all in it for the same reason!! Have a good and write anytime you like
Franee

Kimmie in Southfield, Michigan

69 months ago

Sybil in Detroit, Michigan said: Firstly, Michelle, you need to calm down. I'm simply giving people advice on the shady schools out there that "certify" their MAs. All of those fly-by-night schools are "accredited".

Secondly, I am a MEMBER of the AAMA.

Thirdly, by the way you worded it, you made it out as if your school gave you their OWN certification test (as in, one your teachers complied it).

The school I attended is accredited through CAAHEP. I googled your school, and it too, is accredited through CAAHEP.

In order to take the AAMA test, you must be a graduate of either a CAAHEP school or an ABHES school. There are sites ASSIGNED by the AAMA for the tests. People from the AAMA PROCTOR THEIR OWN TEST. You must apply for the tests by sending in an application ALONG WITH OFFICAL TRANSCRIPTS. You wait. You get a letter in the mail stating you can take the test if all qualifications are met.

www.aama-ntl.org/becomeCMA/apply_CMA.aspx
That is a list of the testing sites for the October 2008 AAMA certification test.

If you are certified through the AMT (which means your school has to be accredited through either ABHES or CAAHEP or you have 5 years experience as an MA), it is STILL the AMT giving you the test. NOT YOUR SCHOOL. It isn't your school's test, it's the AMT'S TEST. You still have to send in offical transcripts and do the whole song and dance.

What school did you attend in Michigan. You are right. You must take the national certification exam in order to be a CMA or RMA. Please do not confused the graduation diploma or certificate as a certification. This is not true. I will graduate in September after 2 years. I am happy but the job market seems slight. I agree with some of the other comments about pay. It is not what you think, but if you enjoy helping people it will work out for you. I hope everyone the best in the career choices as I hope everything will work out for me.

[s.j] in Dallas, Texas

69 months ago

Larry in San Antonio, Texas said: Very true. Like that comment. Thier is a lot of other reasons why that field is stupid. No were not haters it's just the truth.[/yes u r well yall are hatin it was probually just 2 hard 4 yall & its basically the same as an rn yall will probually not like that either i agree that being an ma is great to get experience if u want to go on to other challenging feilds.]

KARLA in Fargo, North Dakota

69 months ago

Larry in San Antonio, Texas said: Very true. Like that comment. Thier is a lot of other reasons why that field is stupid. No were not haters it's just the truth.

OK WHAT ABOUT THE FACT REGARDING CONTINUING EDUCATION? IT WASN'T UP UNTIL A FEW YEARS AGO THAT THE STATE OF ND REQUIRED BOTH RN'S AND LPN'S TO HAVE THIS REQUIREMENT. CMA'S HAVE ALWAYS HAD TO HAVE CEU'S AND THEY ARE VERY SPEFIC ON WHAT THEY CAN OR CAN NOT SUBMIT TO THE AAMA. WE HAVE TO OBTAIN EQUAL AMTS IN 3 DIFFERENT CATEGORIES, CLINICAL ADMINISTRATIVE AND THEN GENERAL. THE REQUIREMENT FOR NURSES, THERE IS NONE as far what category THEY CAN GET FREE CEU'S THAT TAKE THEM MINUTES TO COMPLETE OFF COMPUTER, THEY DON'T NEED TO ATTEND/ARRANGE FOR STATE CONVENTIONS AND SIT IN A CLASS ROOM FOR 1.5 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Annie in Riverview, Florida

69 months ago

Has anyone thought about being a physician assistant(PA)because I work with many in a hospital setting, and I wish I knew about PAs 20yrs ago then MA. I worked as a MA for 20yrs and so far made 38,000/yr and a PA makes 45 to 105/yr and have the advantage of total patient care as a physician. I really would like go back to school (2yr + 1yr intern)and get MS degree in PA; but I'm in my forties that will take alot of strength on my part. So if you are young enough go for PA. I would.

Annie in Riverview, Florida

69 months ago

Lisa in Tampa, Florida said: Ally, I'm in the same situation girl. I completed my externship recieved my certificate in Oct 2003. Got a job after my internship w/ my children's pediactric practice making only 7.50 hr. , but with them collabrating in Inc. of 7 ofc. location I was able to boost my experience by being flexible to work in three of their office locations. After three mos of being hired I had to relocated to Orlando On a family emergency. and have not been able to get back into the field as a MA sinec I want to go back to school but after struggling now trying to contiue my career I don't have the will power anymore I feel burnt out w/ it ya know. and on top of it all I'm trying rasied three kids ages 12,11, 7

Has anyone thought about being a physician assistant(PA)because I work with many in a hospital setting, and I wish I knew about PAs 20yrs ago then MA. I worked as a MA for 20yrs and so far made 38,000/yr and a PA makes 45 to 105/yr and have the advantage of total patient care as a physician. I really would like go back to school (2yr + 1yr intern)and get MS degree in PA; but I'm in my forties that will take alot of strength on my part. So if you are young enough go for PA. I would.

Mike in Fall River, Massachusetts

68 months ago

Hi everyone..I've been a Medical Assistant for 3 years. I started in an Urgent Care clinic that was pretty much slave wages...$9/hr. With hard work I came to making almost $13. I loved my job as we saw many different illnesses and such. However, some of the RNs and LPNs were downright condescending to the MAs. One LPN was so useless that she couldn't even draw blood!!...with a butterfly mind you! I now work in an ER as a tech and am so happy. The docs and RNs told me on the first day that we're all equals and that we're a family. I've been there for a year and nobody has ever talked down or criticized me for being an MA. I'm allowed to start IVs, Foleys,and other clinical type stuff that I've only seen nurses do. Of course I'm contemplating nursing school, but we'll see. My salary also got jacked up to $33000 at this hospital.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ty

68 months ago

To everyone I believe you should follow your heart not only notice I said only your desire for money. Do you want to land a job that pays a lot of money but you really hate it. Note that if you are the type that is running low on money and can only afford a two year associate degree then go for medical assistanting. Once you land a job try to go back to school for nursing or whatever else you are interested in. Most hospitals, companies, employers provide tuition assistant and some pay in full for your tuition and books. So start off with medical assistant if you cant afford to pay for your education and work hard at your job and I am sure you could recieve tuition assistance or even your tuition and books could be paid for. Ask your employer for such opportunities.

Sandra in Elmhurst, Illinois

68 months ago

Jazmin in Houston, Texas said: I went to school for medical assistant I waste my time, any body out there just go on for nursing.

Okay Medical Assisting is not as glamerized as the nursing profession ihave been working as a medical asst for 2 yr and all i see is that the nurses talk on the phone and the ma do all the work we set up and clean up eveything.Take vitals and chief complaints on patients. We do ekgs,shots,and breathing tests. So i do not know were you work girl but the MAs keep the office runing and on time and the nurses talk onthe phone all day long.So if you wont to do all that to then go ahead but i am sure you would have somthing to say about that to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Well work is work. Any where you go you will have to do your job. Everywhere you go someone is going to have it better. Are you Lazy? If you was hired as a CMA no one said it was easy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

yvette smith in Indio, California

67 months ago

Jazmin in Houston, Texas said: I went to school for medical assistant I waste my time, any body out there just go on for nursing.

I went to school for Medical Assistant, graduated in 2006 with high Academic honors. I can not find a job because i am not hispanic. thats discrimination any way you look at it. i have a medical background, 20+ years and it has come to a screeching hault because of these people who want to take over our country.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

plakola in Stafford, Texas

67 months ago

ally in Meriden, Connecticut said: I too just graduate for Medical Assistant Program here in CT
and I have found nothing I did my extern ship and also tempting for a drs office for 2 weeks and no luck the school I went to has a placement dept but they send me leads and I have already applied for them before they email me

I too want to go to school to bew an RN but I need a job now and then go t school at night I have gone on 1 interview since I finished school in DEc and am very depressed

I was in your same spot. I am scheldule to start this temp job as a MA next week. You will find a job Ally. Just be positive. Just tell yourself that u will have a job ok? SMILE FOR ME SWEETiE

Monica in New York, New York

67 months ago

yvette smith in Indio, California said: I went to school for Medical Assistant, graduated in 2006 with high Academic honors. I can not find a job because i am not hispanic. thats discrimination any way you look at it. i have a medical background, 20+ years and it has come to a screeching hault because of these people who want to take over our country.

Are you ( bleeping ) serious!!!!! You graduated with "High Academic Honors", and the response you have about you not getting a job is because you are not Hispanic??? You are the most ignorant person on this site and perhaps your ignorance overlaps your attitude and personality and to me that is the reason you can not find employment. I refuse to go with the back and forth with you on insults because the reality is you have brought yourself beneath the bottom of the barrel with such a comment because you cannot find a job!DON'T HATE!!!

Sincerely,

An Employed Puerto Rican Woman for the last 10 years and going strong!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Who Knows in Elmhurst, New York

67 months ago

Maybe its because you are not bi-lingual. I doubt it is because you are not Hispanic. And in today's world being Bi-lingual is a definite Plus. Most employers do look for that......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kimmie in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

67 months ago

Who Knows in Elmhurst, New York said: Maybe its because you are not bi-lingual. I doubt it is because you are not Hispanic. And in today's world being Bi-lingual is a definite Plus. Most employers do look for that......

I know I just graduated from MA school and sometimes I think it was a waste. I have been looking for a job since July and only one call for an interview. Out there a MA is the hottest job in the market but I don't see how. The employer wants you to have 2 - 5 years of experience, be certified, and have a speciality behind you. So I am looking at a temp agency too. I hope someone will call me soon because I have money to support myself and I don't want to go to the FIA for any. I have a trade please I have been in the business sector for over 20 years as a Secretary/AA. Good luck to us all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Can we get over the race card! It seems that race place a role in everything, and it needs to stop. The world is getting over it with a Women and an African American is running for Pres&Vise. If you have so many years of CMA you should have no problem getting a job. How is your work history? Do you miss a lot of work? I would ask my self several questions and if the answers are in your favor, then contact the correct people. EOE is the one who needs to hear from you. Equal Oppertunity Employment. Crying about it on this site will not get you anywhere. This is just a FACT. IF YOU WANT TO RETURN AN ANGRY REPLY TO MAKE YOU FEEL GOOD GO AHEAD. IF YOU WANT TO REPLY WITH INSULTS GO AHEAD! THE BOTTOM LINE IS LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT. SO, GET OUT THERE AND GET BUSY AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

CMA&PROUDOFIT in Evansville, Indiana said: Can we get over the race card! It seems that race place a role in everything, and it needs to stop. The world is getting over it with a Women and an African American is running for Pres&Vise. If you have so many years of CMA you should have no problem getting a job. How is your work history? Do you miss a lot of work? I would ask my self several questions and if the answers are in your favor, then contact the correct people. EOE is the one who needs to hear from you. Equal Oppertunity Employment. Crying about it on this site will not get you anywhere. This is just a FACT. IF YOU WANT TO RETURN AN ANGRY REPLY TO MAKE YOU FEEL GOOD GO AHEAD. IF YOU WANT TO REPLY WITH INSULTS GO AHEAD! THE BOTTOM LINE IS LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT. SO, GET OUT THERE AND GET BUSY AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!
SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING ERRORS! WAS IN A HURRY

67 months ago

CMA&PROUDOFIT in Evansville, Indiana said: SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING ERRORS! WAS IN A HURRY

I CAN'T AGREE WITH YOU ANYMORE THAN I DO. IT IS OBVIOUS THAT SHE NEEDED TO VENT BUT TO PLAY THE RACE CARD IS JUST WRONG AND IT HAS NO PLACE ON THIS SITE. WE ARE ALL HERE BECAUSE SOME FEEL THEY CAN GET A JOB, AND SOME CAN'T.

WE SHOULD START NETWORKING AND HELP EACHOTHER OUT. IF YOU FIND A MUTUAL PERSON ON THIS SITE FROM YOUR STATE/TOWN, THEN TRY GETTING INFORMATION OF POSSIBLE EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES.

... BUT LIKE I SAID, THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO ROOM HERE FOR ANYONE TO GO THAT ROUTE!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lady in Sycamore, Illinois

67 months ago

well this could help althought in my opinion its not right. i know a girl who finished at the top of her class and couldnt find a job. so she made up experience. the things she knew that she had mastered in school, she put on her resume and made up an employer. its was drastic to do that but as soon as she did it the interviews and job offers cam in like a flood. oh and she had a friend pretend to be a reference for the made up employer. she makes $17/hr.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

I am glad she got a job, but what is this world coming to when you have to lie for a job. How sad! You have to do what you have to do. I am just sorry this world is in the mess it is in.

Phylicia in Sugar Land, Texas

67 months ago

Im glad that girl have a job. I guess you have no choice but to do what you have to do. Im a recent graduate also and I got a temp job that starts Monday. The job is only for 2 months but its something

67 months ago

Where are you located. I am in Evansville Indiana and today its only 2:25 and I have had 7 emails for doctors offices in need of CMA. I hate its not like this all over.

Phylicia in Houston, Texas

67 months ago

CMA&PROUDOFIT in Evansville, Indiana said: Where are you located. I am in Evansville Indiana and today its only 2:25 and I have had 7 emails for doctors offices in need of CMA. I hate its not like this all over.

I am located in a small town in Houston, TX. I didn't think I would ever get a job soon. I found a job within a month of graduation. My school helped me get this job. I get these emails too. I am looking for a permanant position. DO you have an email address or something where I can talk to you? if you want to talk to me CMA&PROUDOFIT, my email is plakola@yahoo.com

Phylicia in Houston, Texas

67 months ago

Whats up with all this fighting? A profession is a profession. We all are on this site for some support and encouragement and advice and information about our profession, not to fight and bicker about who is better than who and how much money one make over the other. Yall need to be thankful that yall don't have to work like you are in slavery picking up 300 hundred lbs worth of stuff for 3.00/hr! Yall should be thankful that you are in a career where u can grow from and possibly have benefits. What is happeneing here? Whether u are a RN, CMA, MA, CNA, it is still a medical profession and its helping people. Yall Please stop fighting because this is mad ridiculous for real. Real Talk!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Amen to that!

jenn in Tustin, California

67 months ago

i agree with you too. i was going to be a medical assistant, but now i am doing my nursing prerequisites. my friend is a medical assistant and she is going into nursing bc it's a waster of time and the salary sucks! way to go!!

KenRader in Smyrna, Tennessee

67 months ago

Well I might be out of place here but I'm just a concerned father. My 23 year old daughter has just started her last semester at Draughon's College in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. She's in the two year Associates Degree / Medical Assisting program. Also Wednesday she started her internship at a Pediatrics Medical Office here in Smyrna within a mile of where she lives. Thus far she's maintained a 4.0 average with perfect attendance in school and I think she received preferential treatment when being placed for her internship because of her hard work and dedication. Most students at her level have not even been placed yet.

However, I've been a little concerned all along that the job market would get flooded with Medical Assistants thus finding a job wouldn't be as easy as the school said it would be when she was signing the loan papers. And after reading some of the posts here it seems that's what has happened. I've even heard that some Medical offices are practically running their offices with interns because it's free labor, and there are SO many students out there looking for places to intern. This isn't good!

My daughter became an unwed mother at age 17 and was pregnant when she graduated from high school. After graduation she had been jumping from one dead end job to another. She had always wanted to be a nurse but that just didn't seem to be a viable option at the time with no money, a daughter to raise, plus her high school grades were just barely passing. So about two years ago I talked her into enrolling at Draughon's to become a Medical Assistant. I knew this school had been around for a long time and supposedly had a good reputation so I didn't do a lot of shopping around or comparing but it's turned out to be somewhat of a disappointment. She doesn't feel like she's been properly prepard to be a Medical Assistant. Yet she's SO ANXIOUS to go to work and I'm just hoping she doesn't get disappointed because she's worked so hard trying to prepare for it.

67 months ago

This is what I am talking about!!! Thank you Phylicia and CMA&PROUNDOFIT.... Networking and talking. It doesn't matter what Medical Profession you choose and what way you are steered, the more you learn the more experience you have. There are alot of things that an MA has knowledge of that Nurse will not be trained for. So even if you went to the MA programs and now decided or is thinking about going into Nursing, you have the upper hand in more clinical knowledge and adding that to your education/experience can be a major plus. Nothing is a waste of time when it is something new that is learned. Going into web sites like... Career Builders, Hotjobs, Monster and your local newspapers classifieds on a daily basis is what you need to do. The advertisements for all of these changes all the time so you always have to be on top of your game. If I see or know of any other sites, I will post them up. Good Luck and I really hope to see the continuation of Networking and talking on a positive note.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ArmyWife in Colorado Springs, Colorado

67 months ago

I start the 8 month MA course, at Everest College here in Springs, in 3 weeks. My husband's Army so I figured MA would be a portable job, transferable to wherever he may get stationed.

My Mom's a Nurse and LOVES it, but I swear all her stories are about paperwork/charting or the BS caused by backbiting in the wing.

I'm not big on paperwork, I want to work with the patients not the patients file!

I'm not wary about going MA at all. It's what I did my homework on, talked to my Mom about, and feel is in my best interest given what I want in my career.

Phylicia in Sugar Land, Texas

67 months ago

Yesterday my new job let me go after three days because they want experience. Isn't that bull crap?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

betty000@comcast.net in Derry, New Hampshire

67 months ago

Do not do it.

;) in Los Angeles, California

67 months ago

Ashley in Arlington, Texas said: you can't spell either why you talking noise. go back and re-read what you wrote. you spelled legal wrong and field. re-do honey!![/QU
and spelled :] documentations" wrong as well

Susan, CNA in Traver, California

67 months ago

Lady in Sycamore, Illinois said: well this could help althought in my opinion its not right. i know a girl who finished at the top of her class and couldnt find a job. so she made up experience. the things she knew that she had mastered in school, she put on her resume and made up an employer. its was drastic to do that but as soon as she did it the interviews and job offers cam in like a flood. oh and she had a friend pretend to be a reference for the made up employer. she makes $17/hr.

That is SO unethical and dishonest.....I can't believe she got away with that! I would not feel sorry for her if it came back to bite her in the a$$. It is in NO WAY APPROPRIATE to advocate such measures as a form of advice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dk in Vancouver, Washington

67 months ago

In the bottom line, Medical assisting is NOT stupid. The position was created because the nurses and doctors simply cannot be everywhere at once. Medical Assistants are often very knowledgeable and dilligent. However, like with every profession there are those that should be doing something else. As for the pay, it is usually commensurate with the skill level of the MA. I respect the profession deeply.

nurse mom in Kingston, New York

67 months ago

i think it also depends on where you go to work. some places pay more than others. i have been certified as nursing assistant for only a year and i make 20.39 an hr to start. but i have noticed some places mainly hospitals will start a cna off at 9 an hr.. i don't know much about medical assistants but i think if you keep looking around you will find a place that pays a generous salary..

Jennifer in Washington, District of Columbia

67 months ago

Well, you sometimes have to start somewhere. I went to Med Asst school in the 80's and I never worked in the field. However, I tried for a long time in Alabama and was not successful but even then some of my friends worked in phys. offices. One of my friends work in a lab at a wonderful hospital and it took years of experience to get there. Ensure that you get certified because it is usually preferred. No, you did not waste time if you were not sure at the time to be a nurse. I have been a nursing student and it can be a monster if you are not prepared. Look at this experience as not being the real thing but the beginning to the real thing. Medical Assistant experience can help you in another medical career such as nursing. You can also branch from it the clerical (yes, it's not what you want but it can be a foot in the door of an office that can lead you to a position if you let your supervisor know that's what you want); phlebbotomy (extend your knowledge by taking an extra phlebotomy course to get a certificate); look on the Craigslist and other lists but first get certified. Sometimes you can get a position without so much experience. Make your computer work for you as a great resource. If I had had a computer in the 80s with all this info I would have been a president by now. So, stop looking at any education as stupid because it is a great investment (use a good school though; not a private, fly-by-night one like I did but I still gained my knowledge). Sometimes a person needs to start a foundation and don't be ashamed to do that. Like the man who built his house on stone it stood during the flood. I failed because my natural mother wanted me to forget being a CNA or medical asst. I failed nursing last year because I tried to omit the foundation. It does not prosper you to try to start at the top all the time. Each person is so different. Test the waters so you can be prosperous.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.