medical assistant is a stupid career

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1901 to 1950 of 1953)
Page:  « First « Previous   36  37  38  39  40  Next »   Last »

Dagmar in Atlantic City, New Jersey

16 months ago

Dagmar in Atlantic City, New Jersey said: I agree 100%! Hispanics are aggressively pushing out whites in the medical field. They "take over" companies and work together to keep out whites. This is a serious issue and they get away with it by playing the Hispanic race card and their psychological mind games.

They also provide inferior services on every level!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

T.hock in Mountain View, California

16 months ago

Dagmar in Atlantic City, New Jersey said: They also provide inferior services on every level!

This is so funny to me because I hear white people say that Hispanics need to learn the language, gain employment and pay taxes just like everyone else, but when they do you get mad! Then it's "they're taking OUR jobs" so which is it? Lean the language, work and pay taxes or don't take our jobs? Why don't you just plainly say what you really feel has nothing to do with where they work but simply the fact that they're a different race than yours and you don't like them. You probably feel as if they're inferior to you and that makes you a racist.

Reply - Report abuse

Jazc in Seattle, Washington

16 months ago

As a hispanic and a medical assistant for 4 yrs. i cant believe you just said that! You ever think maybe they are hiring hispanic ma because of the increase in hispanic patients. Or maybe youre just under qualified. I have worked hard i earned my AAS in medical assistamt and phlebotomy and am now earning my Bachelors of health science. Before you commemt racist remarks maybe you should stop and think and make sure its not you! Maybe you are under qualified dagmar you just sound bitter and need to stop blaming others for your insecurities. I could not find a job for the longest time but i did not make excuses i marketed myself and redid my resume. Try that before you go making ignorant remarks about another race.

Reply - Report abuse

Kimberly in Carteret, New Jersey

16 months ago

Jazmin in Houston, Texas said: I went to school for medical assistant I waste my time, any body out there just go on for nursing.

Very true! Medical assisting career is a waste, high loan an very little pay.. But a lot of schools don't advertise that.

Reply - Report abuse

Kimberly in Carteret, New Jersey

16 months ago

Dagmar in Atlantic City, New Jersey said: I agree 100%! Hispanics are aggressively pushing out whites in the medical field. They "take over" companies and work together to keep out whites. This is a serious issue and they get away with it by playing the Hispanic race card and their psychological mind games.

I disagree!! And please don't believe that, I'm Hispanic and because I did not get employed at couple of jobs I interviewed at doesn't mean anything, maybe you were over qualified, or maybe it could be that your not experienced enough at something, Ever bother asking the employer why you didn't meet the qualifications for the job?
I do not believe race/ ethnicity has anything to do with landing a job.

Reply - Report abuse

HappyRT:) in San Diego, California

15 months ago

Such a racist statement!.

Reply - Report abuse

HappyRT:) in San Diego, California

15 months ago

Dagmar in Atlantic City, New Jersey said: They also provide inferior services on every level!

B.S.!. FYI, I'm happy and proud to be working along side my Hispanic coworkers. Together we provide our patients with superior care. I work with an extraordinary team and an excellent employer whose priority is our patients. How sad. You have such an inferior mindset.

Reply - Report abuse

Sasha in Mill Valley, California

15 months ago

Hello all,
Here's a weird question. I graduated my Medical Assistant program through my high school, so of course, I wasn't in an accredited program. I have been hired In Derm. and they said I could work 100 hours and then take a test to become certified. Is that even possible, since I have no credits?
Any answers will help. Thank you!

Reply - Report abuse

NCMA in Newark, New Jersey

15 months ago

Sasha in Mill Valley, California said: Hello all,
Here's a weird question. I graduated my Medical Assistant program through my high school, so of course, I wasn't in an accredited program. I have been hired In Derm. and they said I could work 100 hours and then take a test to become certified. Is that even possible, since I have no credits?
Any answers will help. Thank you!

Yes, it is possible because once upon a time MA's were individuals whi were trained by the physicians to carry out tasks that were simple and these physician could not afford nurses. What you will get is recognition for contact hours. Not all medical assistants are certified nor registered, there is no diffrence in pay between the two. If you go to the American Registry of Medical Assistants, google search it. They will provide you with the information and what you need to qualify. Once you sit for your exam you will become registered. On the flipside, I don't know if the jobs will require you to have a MA diploma as most jobs require both, graduate diploma from an accredited school and the certification/registration. It will all depend on your states requirements so you will have to search that on your own, but your answer is yes. You can get certified at least here in NJ. So check with your state on the ARMA website. Goid luck!

Reply - Report abuse

Sasha in Mill Valley, California

15 months ago

NCMA in Newark, New Jersey said: Yes, it is possible because once upon a time MA's were individuals whi were trained by the physicians to carry out tasks that were simple and these physician could not afford nurses. What you will get is recognition for contact hours. Not all medical assistants are certified nor registered, there is no diffrence in pay between the two. If you go to the American Registry of Medical Assistants, google search it. They will provide you with the information and what you need to qualify. Once you sit for your exam you will become registered. On the flipside, I don't know if the jobs will require you to have a MA diploma as most jobs require both, graduate diploma from an accredited school and the certification/registration. It will all depend on your states requirements so you will have to search that on your own, but your answer is yes. You can get certified at least here in NJ. So check with your state on the ARMA website. Goid luck!

Oh thank you so much! That was very helpful.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Be proud of who u are not what you want in New Kensington, Pennsylvania

15 months ago

I'm sure I'm going off topic a bit but 30 yes ago I was in an RN program. Hit by drunk driver ..out of commission for a few yrs. By then married w children. So I opted for the easier softer way: 1rst Phlebotomy school, 3 quick mths I was working, then Went into EMS 6 yrs later all the while liking what I was doing but knowing deep down inside I was capable and already knew how to do so much more above my state regulated guidelines.... A few yrs after working feeling so dissatisfied I just did it. Woke up one day went to a nursing program and started my prerequisite 1mth later... Completed my RN currently completing my BSN. What I'm saying in my user name is what I'm reading people arguing over, who's better, more qualified, blah blah blah... BOTTOM LINE if ur an MA, CMA ur a medical assistant, no more no less. U will still legally ONLY be allowed to do what u do.. U do NOT have close to the education an LPN or RN has... This should simplify it, MA/CMA = 6 was give or take of A&P lpn and RN =1full semester of each ..its apples and oranges ladies.... I'm not minimizing the importance of your job, your valuable players of the team however ur NOT A NURSE, NOT even close to the skill on more importantly the knowledge level of an RN . In nursing school you learn soooo much more than bedside care. It's an entire way of thinking, nursing school is all about training ur brain how to critical think and pritiorize in a way u did even think to do before!!!!! So sick of hearing this old debate, more SICK OF MA and CNA and even LPNS ANSWERING TO PATIENTS ETC..YES IM A NURSE OR YES IM THE NURSE.... U Could kill someone not intentionally but because of that lack of knowledge and the lack of training. That's NOT TO SAY YOU DONT KNOW A GREAT DEAL, however u only know what u do....working as an MA can NOT in anyway, don't care how many yrs u have been doing it teach u the information u learn in school and clinical. Rant over just b who u r!!!!!

Reply - Report abuse

if your not happy , change it!!!!! in New Kensington, Pennsylvania

15 months ago

BALI in Lansing, Michigan said: I am currently in school to become a Medical Assistant . I once thought that being a nurse was the bee's knee's as well. Even looking at what I am going to school for as being less. But my teacher told me something that helped me to appreciate the degree that I am striving for. She told me to never be ashamed of being an MA. She said that an RN while the scope of practice is alot broader than a MA they are highly regulated by the state whereas an MA is not. She also stated that the degrees are the same and but that one works in a doctors office while the other in the hospital .

Your instructor sounds like an absolute idiot giving that ludicrous analogy of choosing MA over RN... Did you even stop and really think about what that means?? You didn't I'm 100 o/o certain you didn't.. I will break it down for you and you can educate your uneducated instructor.... Here it is plain and simple "the degrees are the same loll bwahahaha are you freaking kidding me?? Right there you should have had bells going off in ur head about allowing her to "educate" you lol....MA vs RN ~~~~~NOT EVEN ON SAME END OF THE SPECTRUM in the degree aspect, level of educated aspect, skill ability, we have skills you wouldn't even understand the verbage.... And let's see there's a reason the states don't regulate anything w MA, your not even closely educated to have the knowledge to understand and preform safely!!! Hence NOTHING FOR STATE TO REGULATE FOR MA's... And RN have the education to run the offices you work in while delegating all of your duties to you. So again your uneducated instructor needs to do some homework herself .. I'm sitting here lmao still at her bad bad information she's giving students and more so the fact that you believe that nonsense shows your level of education as well... Sorry the entire post was full of nonsensicle bullcrap. Anyone w an edu knows there's ZERO truth to1 word she said! She should be FIRED!!

Reply - Report abuse

NCMA in Newark, New Jersey

15 months ago

if your not happy , change it!!!!! in New Kensington, Pennsylvania said: Your instructor sounds like an absolute idiot giving that ludicrous analogy of choosing MA over RN... Did you even stop and really think about what that means?? You didn't I'm 100 o/o certain you didn't.. I will break it down for you and you can educate your uneducated instructor.... Here it is plain and simple "the degrees are the same loll bwahahaha are you freaking kidding me?? Right there you should have had bells going off in ur head about allowing her to "educate" you lol....MA vs RN ~~~~~NOT EVEN ON SAME END OF THE SPECTRUM in the degree aspect, level of educated aspect, skill ability, we have skills you wouldn't even understand the verbage.... And let's see there's a reason the states don't regulate anything w MA, your not even closely educated to have the knowledge to understand and preform safely!!! Hence NOTHING FOR STATE TO REGULATE FOR MA's... And RN have the education to run the offices you work in while delegating all of your duties to you. So again your uneducated instructor needs to do some homework herself .. I'm sitting here lmao still at her bad bad information she's giving students and more so the fact that you believe that nonsense shows your level of education as well... Sorry the entire post was full of nonsensicle bullcrap. Anyone w an edu knows there's ZERO truth to1 word she said! She should be FIRED!!

I agree 100% that instructor should be fired! MA's are skilled and know a great deal, but they should not be taking credit for what they have not done. I am a proud MA and would never say I am a nurse because I am not a nurse, just because I draw blood and take vitals does not make me a nurse.

Reply - Report abuse

Medical Assistant in Newark, New Jersey

15 months ago

I don't understand all this bickering between who can do what and who cannot. We all work as an important part of the health care tem, so does it really matter who is doing what? Seriously people c'mon. Now I understand the diffrence between the two which is probably what sets me apart. The fact is that MA is not a STUPID CAREER. MA's also play an important role in healthcare settings. For thise nurses who actually think they are superior, shame on you! Yes you might have more skill but so do we as MA's so you should not undermine anyone who maybe could not complete the program. Still MA's are in it to help people which is the reason, but to my fellow MA's if you are unhappy then take the extra step and become an RN once you put in the work you can take the credit. I myself am not completely satisfied with MA' but do not want to become a nurse wither. However instead of bitching about it I have DONE something about it and will be graduating with my BSW next summer. Yes I put it the work to be called a Social Worker and still proud of my past MA experience whoch has taught me a lot! So you see you really cant compare a diploma to a degree nor a certification to a license they are all diffrent true, they just make it clear on how much edu a person has had. So stop pretending to be something you are not and just be proud of what you do and do ot the best you can.

Reply - Report abuse

Jessica in Lancaster, Ohio

15 months ago

Very well spoken!

Reply - Report abuse

Be true to you in Gibsonia, Pennsylvania

15 months ago

Well put my friend, well said!!!!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Lopez Lopez in Hayward, California

14 months ago

First let me say being or trying to be in the medical assisting or Nursing program is not easy. You get lucky to know that can help you get into these good jobs or when you finish your extern the medical staff may hire you. But for the rest of us we are left out there. There is volunteering for Medical Assistanting and yes if you think you will get a job as a Nurse right away think again no experience no job. I am not here to disrespect anybody this is a hard field to be in I wish all you ladies the best and Heavenly Fathers Blessings for what ever your goals are

Reply - Report abuse

sony732 in Neptune, New Jersey

13 months ago

jazmin in Crestview, Florida said: I am sorry you are having such bad luck. There are 7 states currently who require certification. Here in florida they are requiring rn's to earn a bsn within 3 yrs of hire and now ma's are being required to have a 2 yr degree. I have an AAS with concentration in medical assistant. I am a registered medical assistant and registered phlebotomy tech. I have gained so much experience and knowledge. Also my credits transfered to a bachelors program. I really think it is based on how you market yourself.They are also phasing out lpn here due to medical assistants having 2 yr degrees and the ability to cross train. Also I being an MA am also IV certified i CAN NOT PUSH MEDS! I can however give saline. Good luck and do not give up.....keep at it het some expierience then if you like go to the next level. There is no need for fighting ladies :)

I know this post is old, but can I ask where you were able to transfer your Medical Assistant toward a bachelors degree? This is currently what I'm searching for!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

CMA in Newark, New Jersey

13 months ago

Sony732
I have never heard of being able to transfer any MA credits, specially here in NJ. However with new MA's coming out of school with 2 yr associate degree things are possible. What the comment left out and did not mention was that after you obtain your A.S in MA, you can transfer into any university you like. They will accept your English, some Math, history, psych, literature, etc... This can definately boost you up in the bsn program given you have the recquired GPA. Now as far as Science, A&P 1,2 might be challenged, might not. You will need Bio 1,2 Statistics, human growth & Dev. and a Soc. Once all that if fulfilled if not already and your current GPA 3.3 or better most schools 3.0 you should be able to get into the BSN of your choice. Unfortunately Vocational school courses and Tech school courses will not transfer because 4 weeks cannot compare to 3 1/2 months. If you have an Associate and have taken the courses needed to apply you should be OK. I was able to get into Rutgers University BSN with having satisfied these courses at the Associate degree level. The only diffrence is that I do not have an associate in MA, but rather Allied health Science. I do not believe there is a diffrence except that I had to take Nutrition and Pathophysiology which were needed for RN's at the associate level. And not in the MA course curriculum.

Hope this helps and do not get discouraged. Good luck!!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

LISTEN in Owings Mills, Maryland

12 months ago

Monica in New York, New York said: Ok ladies, the bottom line is this. Do what makes you happy. If you truly love caring for people on a one on one basis, then Medical Assisting or Nursing is right for you. The true difference is the amount of responsibility that you will encounter. Like I have said before, I have been an RMA for almost 9 years and I am now making exactly $19.81 an hour with opportunity for OT. I get paid every 2 weeks and after taxes I come home with a little less than $1000,00( that includes Full benefits for myself and my entire family). Not to much paper work and I work in a great neighborhood( Times Square in NY). I started in this buisness making $11.50 an hour back in 2000 and paid my dues but have earned a variety of expereinces that has me earning the amount of $ that I earn today. But to me it goes hand in hand with what I love to do and that is being part of a team that provides assistants to patients that is in need of our help from the time they walk into a facility to the time they're done seeing the Doctor and are checked out. So, if caring for people in any capacity(whether it is admissions , reception, secretary, MA, EKG Tech, Sono Tech, Phlebotomy, CNA or Nurse... Love what you do no matter what and just do it!!!!!

LISTEN I love that you found a job and all that but please you have no idea about the pain and misfortune not finding a job in ones career could bring its not right to tell someone who's been trying hard and suffering to just find a job and just do it. that's not what they studied for that's not what they spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars for encourage them and feel thier pain not dismiss it ok so have a great life

Reply - Report abuse

Cathy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

12 months ago

Hey man, to each their own. Don't hate. Read more about CNAs, you might like them - www.findcnaclasses.com/about-us/

Reply - Report abuse

MWils in Charlotte, North Carolina

11 months ago

Jazmin in Houston, Texas said: I went to school for medical assistant I waste my time, any body out there just go on for nursing.

Yeah don't waste your time & effort because it's not worth it, I'm in over my head in debt with school loans, it's almost time to recertify (approximately $200) & don't make enough to even do that, receptions or shall I say PSR(Patient Service Rep) which is what they're calling the checkin person now starts out making more than a CMA & they don't have to go school so won't have to worry about paying back loans, don't need x amount of years experience, & doesn't have to worry about recertifying or even where they will get the money to recertify. So don't waste your time or your family's time. I would suggest going for LPN or if you want a degree go for RN (RN's & CMA's go to school for the same amount of time but RN's make more). LPN's get a diploma & make more than CMA's & if an LPN works in an outpatient setting just like a CMA would they perform the same duties as an CMA but make more.

Reply - Report abuse

msgucci in Miramar, Florida

11 months ago

sony732 in Neptune, New Jersey said: I know this post is old, but can I ask where you were able to transfer your Medical Assistant toward a bachelors degree? This is currently what I'm searching for!

Yes and no. If you attend a community college you can plug in at least 21-24 credits towards an Associates degree then you can start a Bachelor's. Check out the community colleges in your area and state universities. Stay away from Keiser, Everest, UoP etc

Hope this helps

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

jessicaalexander in Memphis, Tennessee

9 months ago

Medical Assisting is a stupid career because you can teach anybody to assist you in a medical setting. My medical assistant instructor was taught that way before Medical Assisting programs even existed. Also if you work in hospitals you would be considered a Patient Care Tech or Patient Care Assistant . Nursing assistants will have that same exact job title. A CNA program is much cheaper and prepares you more if you want to become a RN. These for profit schools are liars and scammers. You can't find a job because they want you to have experience. Plus the field is oversaturated with new grads. So if your lucky to find a job you are limited to that position. You completed 9 months training and a 5 week externship,that should be enough experience! Then people suggest try to volunteer to get your foot in door. Everybody doesn't have the privilege to go out and work for free. There's this thing called bills,kids and other obligations that we have to attend to. It makes you depressed because you get your hopes up and put all of your time and dedication into it and get nothing at the end! It's emotional draining and embarrassing because you tell people what you are pursuing and your still stuck working at some dead end job. I definitely feel stupid for wasting my time on the whole Medical Assisting crap! I wish I would have done my research.

Reply - Report abuse

Kristy in Baltimore, Maryland

8 months ago

Do CMA draw blood?

Reply - Report abuse

Precioussmeigal in Harrington, Delaware

8 months ago

Depends on what department of medical go in.i work in dermatology and I don't draw blood but do injections and assist in surgical

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Kusum_na in San Antonio, Texas

7 months ago

I am currently in San Antonio, Texas. I am thinking of going back to school for medical assistant program but I am not sure which school would be the best choice ? Public community college or private for profit medical school ? Those for profit schools are so expensive and I have read so many bad reviews.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Precioussmeigal in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

7 months ago

I would recommend a community college. I think sometimes the private business ones have a harder time with accreditation-like Harris School of Business which is on the East Coast a lot of medical facilities don't accept their certifications so find a local Community College or even a high school that has a technical program and you're going to start at the bottom because you're new but be patient and even try if you have any kind of degree you can get your Associates in medical assistant best of luck to you

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Kimberly in Frederick, Maryland

7 months ago

Hi. I totally agree with Precioussmeigal. I found outside programs more expensive. I was very happy with my experience at my local community college. Check, your school and make sure it's accredited. I finished my Medical Assistant AA, as well as my MA Certificate. I then signed up and took the NCMA test through the (NCCT) National Center for Competency Testing. My school is certified to proctor, so I didn't have to travel to take the test. I'm now confident that I can work all over the US.
Many employers in my area like to see your NCMA ID number, and log into the NCCT (or other accrediting company). site to see that it's valid.

Having your classes college credited will always be beneficial if you decide to continue your education (LPN/RN - BA Medical Mgmt. etc.) Good Luck!! If you want more info, I'd be glad to talk.

Reply - Report abuse

Yessi in Downey, California

7 months ago

In case you didn't know LVN requires to have continuing education every 2 years to have a active license , they have a professional license and require way more critical thinking than a MA,

Michelle in Eau Claire, Wisconsin said: Ok genius, LPN's and CMA's go to school for the same amount of time and in fact CMA's take MORE credits than LPN's... The hospitals are putting LPN's and CNA's in the same category "patient care technicians" and paying them the same here in Wisconsin, because they are one in the same, you are geared more towards hospitals and nursing homes and now the hospitals want to pay you what they pay their aides also. You don't even have to have continuing education, in the long run, as I was told in the beginning of my schooling over 4 years ago, LPN's will be virtually gone. I wouldn't want someone taking care of me that didn't have to have any further education, atleast as CMA's we have to have continuing education!!

Reply - Report abuse

C. ADAMS MBA MSN RN- BC Director of Nurs in New Kensington, Pennsylvania

7 months ago

LPNs are NOT being replaced by medical assistants..?? There is a HUGE difference. Medical Assistants are not permitted by law to ascess a patient. They cant discern ling sounds, run IVs. I am the Nursing Director of 2 fully staffed clinics,adult medicine, pediatrics, optometry,dental,psych,podiatry and I know the legal scope of practice for all clinical staff'. The scope of practice is significantly different also is the pay scale! I start my LPNs out w min 2 yrs exp 22.50$ I start my CMA out at $11.. the duties are vastly diff , yes some are the same but a MA cannot insert IV runs IV meds. By LAW although alot of school teach MAs how to interpret TB tests, the law says specifically that CMA are not qualified to interpret ANY test at all ever, CMAs are NOT permitted to give flu shots unless an RN or MD is physically on the office, CMA CANNOT ever, never ever, touch, complete count or administer narcotics. Thats just touching on 3 HUGE differences..I have a list a long list of what the state laws permit CMA to do. They are not allowed to do much of anything except room patients.take vitals, glucometers, draw blood on the clinical end. They are NOT permitted to educate patients on the disease processes.The education may both take 2 yrs however the depth of the classes taught is significantly different. If they werent they would all take the same classes and have the same titles.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

Tina in Rocky Face, Georgia said: Sorry about your bad luck but actually we can do more than LPN can do. We are trained in alot of different areas that LPN's are not..They did not get some of the training we did. EX: phelbotomy,x-rays,E.K.G'S & we are cross-trained to work front and back office.

Im not sure where ylu obtained your information but your extremely mistaken. The one and only thing you did get correct wad the x-ray education. Personally I prefer to be competent and proficient in nursing. X-ray techis not a nursing duty thats what x-ray techs are for. However I am confident that I could complete on the job yraining if I had to and learn how to perform an x-ray. Your speaking of being educated on so many diffetent thing but one has to stop and ask how much specific in depth educatkon did you all receive on each one of those skills? Not that long. Thats why MAs although some ate trained to tale an x-ray your far from qualified education wise to sit for state boards.
If I were you I would prefer to master less skills and be a novice at them having obtained a deeper level of education opposed to having a brief education which just touches on the basics, the very basic skill level obtainable to be employable in this field. Also having a more in depth education on specific skills makes you a much more marketable potential employee.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

Just to comment on your remark regarding that only MA are trained to work the front office. With a college level degree you would qualify to run the front office in a practice opposed to just answering the phones and passing the calls the the RNs nd LPNs who have the eduction to understand the body systems in depth to triage and discern the complaints..work smart not hard and the salary will commensurate!! Im sure your a younger person just think about this. Do you truly want to runs around the office taking vitals and being on your feet all day 25 yrs from now..I guarantee you wont. You cant take an MA certification to any higher level. Its a certificate...licensure and indepth education affords you the option to branch off into case managemebt, UR, administration..and the list goes on..as well as the pay goes up.
Anyone who says they dont care about thep money is lying to us and yourself or you have never lived on your own. Noone can live a comfortable life w job fulfillment making 11-14$ an hr. Compaired to 25 upwards of 48$ hr.
Lastly, do not take what im saying as any sort of insult. The MAs in my office are invaluable to me and my nursing staff. The office needs everyone to make a team!!!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

Michelle in Eau Claire, Wisconsin said: Ok genius, LPN's and CMA's go to school for the same amount of time and in fact CMA's take MORE credits than LPN's... The hospitals are putting LPN's and CNA's in the same category "patient care technicians" and paying them the same here in Wisconsin, because they are one in the same, you are geared more towards hospitals and nursing homes and now the hospitals want to pay you what they pay their aides also. You don't even have to have continuing education, in the long run, as I was told in the beginning of my schooling over 4 years ago, LPN's will be virtually gone. I wouldn't want someone taking care of me that didn't have to have any further education, atleast as CMA's we have to have continuing education!!

Someone has been telling you a bunch of lies. Do your research before spewing all of that nonsense. The state NO state will ever allow MAs to administer controlled substance, inset IVs , run IV meds flush PICC lines and Ports..i could go on and on as to what MAs will never ever be permitted to do. Most higher level skills take licensure.. A certificate does not cut it.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

C. ADAMS MBA MSN RN- BC Director of Nurs in New Kensington, Pennsylvania said: Someone has been telling you a bunch of lies. Do your research before spewing all of that nonsense. The state NO state will ever allow MAs to administer controlled substance, inset IVs , run IV meds flush PICC lines and Ports..i could go on and on as to what MAs will never ever be permitted to do. Most higher level skills take licensure.. A certificate does not cut it.

And lastly LPNs are reuired by EVERY single state in the USA and abroad to complete CEUs ...please educate youself with true fact. Go to the State BON site and read the nursing scope of practice for LPN and RN also read the Nurse practice act.. you will obtain immense amounts of knowledge and clarity on your misinformation someone passed on to you.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

cameron in San Jose, California

7 months ago

Contact Dr/Prophet Madupe at [MADUPETEMPLE@GMAIL.COM]
DR/Prophet Madupe IS SPECIALIZED ON....... 1. If you want to win/awarded contracts 2. If you want promotion at work, company, organization etc. 3. If you want to recover your lost money/property etc. 4. If you want to stop a divorce/marriage/relationship etc. 5. If you want to win court cases etc. 6. If you want to win gambles/lottery etc. 7. If you want to conceive children 8. If you want to Stop problems in your marriage/relationship etc. 9. if you want Cure for any kind of sickness or diseases like AIDS,HIV, Cancer and so on 10. If you want back your ex OR any thing you desire 11. If you need protection from any kind of attack like gun bullet, knife, car accident, spiritual attack and so on. Just contact him if you have any problem whatsoever he will help you. Contact him...... [MADUPETEMPLE@GMAIL.COM]

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

LJ in Plainfield, Illinois

6 months ago

Tina in Rocky Face, Georgia said: Sorry about your bad luck but actually we can do more than LPN can do. We are trained in alot of different areas that LPN's are not..They did not get some of the training we did. EX: phelbotomy,x-rays,E.K.G'S & we are cross-trained to work front and back office.

Tina, you must be delusional. It takes longer to be an LPN than an MA. LPN scope of practice goes well beyond an MA. Anyone in the medical field will know that. We are allowed to do invasive procedures that MAs are not allowed to do. We also create nursing care plans, help stabilize patients, Monitoring patients after surgeries and procedures, give medications unsupervised, patient assessments. Also adding nursing notes into the permanent patient charts. I know for a fact that MAs cannot even interpret any type of information that has to do with the patient. And nurses are allowed to. We go to school for longer and are more educated. Sorry if you don't like that but it's the truth. And nurses make quite a bit more than any MA.

Reply - Report abuse

LJ in Plainfield, Illinois

6 months ago

Pretty much everything you said is wrong. I guarantee you the courseload and the LPN program is much harder than the MA program. MAs are not allowed to do any thing invasive to the patient. LPNs are allowed to. LPNs are also trained different types of patient data. Including EKGs. It is very wrong of you to try to belittle LPNs. It's a higher scope of practice then any MA And for you to say that LPNs are in the same category as CNAs this is completely hilarious. There is very little that a CNA can do. They can't even pass meds! No way can they start an IV, insert a catheter, insert an enema, do patient assessments, create nursing care plans, Have a huge pharmacological knowledge of all the medicines that they are giving, oh wait CNEs can't give meds. And neither can you. This sounds like a case of you being jealous that you're not a nurse. Nursing school is hard to get into, it's expensive, and it is very hard to get through. Anybody who can get through nursing school deserves great respect. And you are the type of person that thinks you're better than somebody that has more education than you.

Reply - Report abuse

Cindy RN in New Kensington, Pennsylvania

6 months ago

Michelle,
Here is a little educational reading for you pulled straight off of an informational page from Wisconson state regarding nursing licensure.
A medical assistant may choose to become certified or registered upon completing an approved medical assisting program. Certification and registration are different than a license, and are not interchangeable. Practical nurses may sit for a licensing exam after graduation from nursing school. Earning a license allows the practical nurse to practice skills under her own license—though most states require that an LPN be supervised by a registered nurse when performing certain assessments or skills.

Medical assistants do not practice independently. They work under a physician’s medical license. Essentially, a licensed medical doctor must approve a medical assistant’s ability to practice, and then agree to allow the MA to work directly under his or her medical license.
Im an RN. I began as a MA and i find it ridiclous when I see people post the nonsense they do compairing MA to nurses..How about being happy abd proud of what ypu are or change it but stop indulting yourself with the uneducated comments...

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Shannon in Hooksett, New Hampshire

5 months ago

Michelle in Eau Claire, Wisconsin said: The reason why you can't find a job and hate the profession is the fact that your spelling isn't even correct! The medical assisting career is wonderful. I work in a cancer center and am lucky enough to go home everyday knowing I made a difference in someone's day. Have fun working overnights and doing paperwork 24/7 as an RN!!

I agree with you!!! I was a LPN and the hours and paperwork are ridiculous hence why I am a medical assistant now. I find there is not much of a difference clinically between a LPN and MA...except LPN's have a higher burn out rate...

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Lawrenceville, Georgia

5 months ago

I know this is a old post but I am also a medical assistant of 9 yrs I have worked in every specialty just about. I draw blood do x-rays start IVs triage patients ect. And I get paid well for MA 19$ a hour. You have to have experience to do well as a MA . I have a friend that works in dermatology and does all her derma Brasions ect she makes 23 an hours plus tips.it's all up to you how far you can go with being a MA. It's great to get experience before becoming a RN though when taking classes I know a bit more than my classmates that don't have experience and I know that this is the career for me I'm not just signing up for something I have no idea if I will like or not. Also it looks great when you a applying for the program that you already have alot of experience it's also easier for you to get a RN job afterwards.

Reply - Report abuse

pinkpear23 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

4 months ago

I have just completed the m.a. program and I started my extern hours at one site and it wasn't working out because it was too far from my home so I switched sites to something closer well the problem that I have found myself running into is that at the first site I had completely 102 of the required 186 hours but was told by my school that I would have to start my hours over from the beginning so I'm back at 0 hours is this true, they also told me that it's state law so what do I need to look at to find out if the information that I was told is accurate and true.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Cmagee in Minneapolis, Minnesota

3 months ago

I am a certified medical assistant and I love it. People think of medical assistant as an underpaid LPN. But medical assistant goes above and beyond it's title. Medical assistant is a classification title. There are Phlebotimist, EKG Techs, Lab techs, medical billing and coding, medical scheduling,dialysis techs, medical receptionist, and a long list of other titles.

Reply - Report abuse

Certified Medical assistant in Hollywood, Florida

2 months ago

toni in Lake Mary, Florida said: I am a cna and I am in school for pharmacy tech and to get hiring in that field you must have medical assistant experience.

You don't have to have any experience but you will have to sale your self to the employers. People think being a medical assistant is a easy job so they go to school playing an not taking life serious. You can find a job after become certified becaubecause it show employers you took your education seriously.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Emelyr in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

1 month ago

Dont go to medical assisting school. i am a CCMA and i graduated and passed my certification. i want to become a nurse but its been so hard and this stupid career is a waste of time and money. if you want to be a nurse go for it

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

JMC in Clarksburg, Maryland

1 month ago

I have been a medical assistant for 5 years. I earned an AAS. I have done everything from patient intakes to procedures. I am currently working as a tech in the hospital. Our hospital categorizes us as: Tech 1 Tech 2 and tech 3. Tech 3 are LPNs. As an MA i started IVs and also gave certain medications via IV. As an MA we can start IV if properly trained but we can not i repeat can not give Narcotics or Chemo meds. Every state has different laws concerning scope of practice. As a tech (cna) we are trained to do BG, IV insert and removal, foley caths (male and female), phlebotomy, and other skills. Also as an MA i have given lovenox, and administered other medications , immunizations and o2. I am currently in nursing school and being an MA has really helped me. As far as pay each state differs. In the South east i earned 11$ starting out to $14 an hr in the North West i earned between $16-20 an hour. It all depends on your experience and education and also how you market yourself. I have never had an issue finding MA jobs they are out there! Also as far as nursimg school goes some of my credits from my MA AAS transfered as well as credits from my Bachelors degree. Dont put each other down. If you want to be a nurse be a nurse if you want to be an ma then be an ma. I will say cna starting off is cheap and quick training and can prepare you for nursing pathway.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Alisha in Irving, Texas

1 month ago

I totally agree. I've only been in this field 3 yrs and I hate it. I'm trying to get out right now!!!!!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Alisha in Irving, Texas

1 month ago

Monica in New York, New York said: Ok ladies, the bottom line is this. Do what makes you happy. If you truly love caring for people on a one on one basis, then Medical Assisting or Nursing is right for you. The true difference is the amount of responsibility that you will encounter. Like I have said before, I have been an RMA for almost 9 years and I am now making exactly $19.81 an hour with opportunity for OT. I get paid every 2 weeks and after taxes I come home with a little less than $1000,00( that includes Full benefits for myself and my entire family). Not to much paper work and I work in a great neighborhood( Times Square in NY). I started in this buisness making $11.50 an hour back in 2000 and paid my dues but have earned a variety of expereinces that has me earning the amount of $ that I earn today. But to me it goes hand in hand with what I love to do and that is being part of a team that provides assistants to patients that is in need of our help from the time they walk into a facility to the time they're done seeing the Doctor and are checked out. So, if caring for people in any capacity(whether it is admissions , reception, secretary, MA, EKG Tech, Sono Tech, Phlebotomy, CNA or Nurse... Love what you do no matter what and just do it!!!!!

I love the patients but HATE the doctors. This is not for me and I'm ready to get the hell out!!!!!! I'm really considering going back to the hotel industry.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Alisha in Irving, Texas

1 month ago

This post is for the students that are still in school. First, if you don't end up being placed at an externship site of your choice, just suck it up and do it to complete your hours. I strongly suggest that upon completion of your externship, if it's not a specialty that you are passionate about don't accept the job, I say this because it's difficult to get job offers in certain specialties. I've always had a high insterest in working in an og/gyn office ever since I was pregnant with my own kids but can't get in because I don't have experience in ob/gyn. My externship was completed at an orhopedic practice and it completely sucked and I knew I didn't want to work there so it took me a yr to find a position after fininshing my hrs. I got offered a position working in an allergy & asthma practice which bored me to tears but it was a job. Do your research if you are unsure of what type of practice you want to work at especially if you're seeking a job that offers opportunity for advancement. I wish I would've started out at working at a hospital. I know this post is kind of long but I wish someone had told me this beforehand. Hope this helps someone.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Jake in Las Vegas, Nevada

21 days ago

Michelle in Eau Claire, Wisconsin said: The reason why you can't find a job and hate the profession is the fact that your spelling isn't even correct! The medical assisting career is wonderful. I work in a cancer center and am lucky enough to go home everyday knowing I made a difference in someone's day. Have fun working overnights and doing paperwork 24/7 as an RN!!

Where's the connection between his spelling and he can't find a job as a medical assistant? Do they look at his indeed post and say, yea this guy can't spell and we're got gonna hire him. You really think RNs do paperwork 24/7? Even if they do it's because incompetent medical assistant can't do anything right. Enjoy feeling you're making a difference, you sure do.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   36  37  38  39  40  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.