medical assistant jobs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (47)

evelyne jadot in Los Angeles, California

83 months ago

Hi! my name is Evelyne and I also have problem getting a job because you have to have 1 year experience and no one wants to train you. I need a job.. i was on the dean's list at school and i can't get a job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Azam in Yerington, Nevada

83 months ago

I really need job.Azam,ma,I have lincess.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Tilly in Stamford, Connecticut

83 months ago

evelyne jadot in Los Angeles, California said: Hi! my name is Evelyne and I also have problem getting a job because you have to have 1 year experience and no one wants to train you. I need a job.. i was on the dean's list at school and i can't get a job

You can't get a job because you are an American. If you were a foreigner you would find a job easily.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

evelyne jasot in Orange, California

83 months ago

shows howmuch you know i'm not american i'm belgian

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in West Hartford, Connecticut

83 months ago

I agree. I can't get a darn job either and I just graduated from college the end of May. SO many places want experience but it's like how the hell do you get experience right out of college when no one wants to even give you a chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ronda in Hercules, California

83 months ago

I am having the same problem I graduated from college in june 2006 and I am having a hard, hard time getting a job as well but you have to keep going and talk to the people who you interview with and let them know you are a dedicated worker who will learn fast. I know I am trying too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

arlene in Corona, California

82 months ago

i finished school..and nobody want to hire me because of no exp...thats bull then why the hell we go to school

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in West Hartford, Connecticut

82 months ago

I deff. agree on this one. I feel the same way

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

LC in Cleveland, Ohio

82 months ago

Guide

I think it's time that these schools that want our money so badly start taking accountability for the big problem of so many MAs not being able to find a job. If they can arrange to get a program going,with all that is involved in that, then they can start working on arranging jobs after graduation, preferably at the same site. I think an externship should last 6 months (mine was only 6 weeks) with the first 3 months unpaid, and the final 3 with the student on probation. Many sites don't really have the student do enough in a small amount of time and these office managers/hiring powers know that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kellie jadot in Wellesley, Massachusetts

81 months ago

yeah even if you have only a 1 year experience then you still should be able to get a job its not like you have no experience like a lot of people do.....good job on making the deans list at school...and good luck mom (evelyne) haha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

shaterrica in West Palm Beach, Florida

81 months ago

I can't get a job either it's a bunch of bull and the school i went to suppose to help you find a job and it's been 8mths and i still don't have a job as a ma and these interviews are full of crap cause you go in with you're head up high and walk out discourage!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

e

81 months ago

Tilly in Stamford, Connecticut said: You can't get a job because you are an American. If you were a foreigner you would find a job easily.

i couldnt have said it better mtself. you hit the nail on the head

e

81 months ago

shaterrica in West Palm Beach, Florida said: I can't get a job either it's a bunch of bull and the school i went to suppose to help you find a job and it's been 8mths and i still don't have a job as a ma and these interviews are full of crap cause you go in with you're head up high and walk out discourage!!!!!!!!!!!

and yet they look at you like you have 3 heads. No experience no job. no bilingual no job. its also age discrimination and who you know. it has come to my realization these MA schools are a scam!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

e

81 months ago

evelyne jadot in Los Angeles, California said: Hi! my name is Evelyne and I also have problem getting a job because you have to have 1 year experience and no one wants to train you. I need a job.. i was on the dean's list at school and i can't get a job

if were u i would go to higher education like nursing. take the credits u have and go to a reputal university or 2 yr college. MA's are nothing and pay is cheap i m getting 10/hr and work 13 hrs/wk. they boasted how we will b makin 15/hr and up cuz we r MA's ! oh please!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kersheng in Portland, Oregon

81 months ago

e said: if were u i would go to higher education like nursing. take the credits u have and go to a reputal university or 2 yr college. MA's are nothing and pay is cheap i m getting 10/hr and work 13 hrs/wk. they boasted how we will b makin 15/hr and up cuz we r MA's ! oh please!

i agree with you. a lots of the schools they lied to you ... don't believe what they have to say...

Lynda Thomas in Starke, Florida

81 months ago

I'm A Medical Assistant In Jacksonville Florida. It was so Many of Graduate From Advanced Career Training and it's Hard tyring to find A Job.I Had Perfect Attendance, G.P.A. 4.0, Director's List ,School Mentor and I'm Still Having Problems Finding a Job you Have to have atlease 1 year experience.

Sincerely

Lynda Thomas
Jacksonville Florida

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Terri Pierce

81 months ago

Tilly in Stamford, Connecticut said: You can't get a job because you are an American. If you were a foreigner you would find a job easily.

Rah for you. Also, if your a senior, they must think your too old to know what your doing. We can work circles around these young people and we are more reliable. I went to school for Med. Assist. (I'm not certified) and haven't got a job yet. Done my 90 days of externship.
Some one please give us a chance.

ghazal in West Hempstead, New York

77 months ago

thta true i cant get job no where they freakin need experience how can i have experience by siting in home and keep apply for jobs tht doesnt make any sense

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

H. in Chillicothe, Illinois

77 months ago

I am going to sound like I am being mean here but I am not-I see a lot of posts on all the MA forums that will have atrocious spelling and sentence construction. They all say the same thing,about not finding a job and wondering why. Maybe that is the reason. If someone cannot post a professional sounding post on a message board,then they probably do not speak professionally and may never find a job in this field. It matters. If it is due to a lack of proofreading,it will show up on resumes and cover letters,and they will not be hired if it is believed that they cannot also take the time to read medicine bottles carefully,or chart properly,or do any administrative work without skimming over things.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ghazal in West Hempstead, New York

77 months ago

well i am sorry but, I do have excellent skill of reading, writing, and oral communication the comment's that i wrote before I was not serious about all that so i just wrote comments and cause i didn't know people on this site are serious about my comment's that they will take that serious i do have excellent skills on venous blood draw i have no idea how come other MOA in doctor office just stick in the skin without fining vein and that hurts if you say anything to them they simply say sorry and walk away i don't think thats professional these are kind of people they have no right to work because they dont care if its hurt or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anonymously in Bronx, New York

62 months ago

Regarding no experience. Try doing volunteer work in the profession you have chosen. You will get experience and even better you will be able to network and make very valuable contacts towards getting a job.

Hope this helps.

Mel in Brooklyn, New York

62 months ago

I plan to become a certify M.A, but had alot of questions and concerns about the experience and salary. Reading these comments has answer all of them a little. I'm hoping I will have better luck living in NY... I'm currently a certify Medical Biller and the same place I did my internship hired me, but did not start me with $15 per hr like M.B suppose to start with.... I'm going to listen to my sister and just go to school for nursing at a two year college and take it from there... Good luck and don't give up guys!!!!!!

Raquel in Pompano Beach, Florida

62 months ago

Not True!Dont't blame hard working immigrants...maibe you should open your mind and learn another language!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DENISE in Fontana, California

51 months ago

kersheng in Portland, Oregon said: i agree with you. a lots of the schools they lied to you ... don't believe what they have to say...

YES THATS RIGHT I GRADUATED IN 2007 ITS NOW 2010 AND THESE FREKEN CLINICS REFUSE TO GIVS US A CHANCE AND ALSO BECAUSE YOU DONT SPEAK SPANISH IM PAYING THIS SCHOLL BACK MY MONEY I BARELY HAVE. EVEN THO I CANT GET HIRED THIS IS A BUNCH OF BULL! MY ADVICE TO PEOPLE WHO WANT TO GO TO SCHOOL TO BE A MEDICAL ASST. DONT DO IT! ITS A WASTE OF TIME SERIOUSLY!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

DENISE in Fontana, California

51 months ago

DENISE in Fontana, California said: YES THATS RIGHT I GRADUATED IN 2007 ITS NOW 2010 AND THESE FREKEN CLINICS REFUSE TO GIVS US A CHANCE AND ALSO BECAUSE YOU DONT SPEAK SPANISH IM PAYING THIS SCHOOL BACK MY MONEY I BARELY HAVE. EVEN THO I CANT GET HIRED THIS IS A BUNCH OF BULL! MY ADVICE TO PEOPLE WHO WANT TO GO TO SCHOOL TO BE A MEDICAL ASST. DONT DO IT! ITS A WASTE OF TIME SERIOUSLY!!

SORRY I SPELLED SCHOOL WRONG IM MAKING THE CORRECTION THANKS

Somelostsoul in Los Angeles, California

51 months ago

It's hard when it shouldn't be. It's doesn't matter if you speak different lauguages or not. You need to have "work" experience, to eard their trust. So it means to volunteer, or take the lowest pay. I'm gald I didn't get MA training at any training school, because it's too expensive to pay back 15+ in student loads, especially if you need a job in the first place. Makes my head spin.

Tiffany in Waterbury, Connecticut

49 months ago

I also graduated on the Deans list with a 4.0, perfect attendance and I'm certified. I can't find a job because I don't speak Spanish. Every place I send my resume calls me back and asks if I speak Spanish I soon as I say no they aren't interested anymore. I wish someone would have told me that before I was in debt $17,000 for tuition.

49 months ago

DENISE in Fontana, California said: YES THATS RIGHT I GRADUATED IN 2007 ITS NOW 2010 AND THESE FREKEN CLINICS REFUSE TO GIVS US A CHANCE AND ALSO BECAUSE YOU DONT SPEAK SPANISH IM PAYING THIS SCHOLL BACK MY MONEY I BARELY HAVE. EVEN THO I CANT GET HIRED THIS IS A BUNCH OF BULL! MY ADVICE TO PEOPLE WHO WANT TO GO TO SCHOOL TO BE A MEDICAL ASST. DONT DO IT! ITS A WASTE OF TIME SERIOUSLY!!

I agree with you its not fair!!!

49 months ago

Raquel in Pompano Beach, Florida said: Not True!Dont't blame hard working immigrants...maibe you should open your mind and learn another language!!!!

Some people do have an open mind and wouldn't mind learning another language but when not knowing a language is restricting you from getting a job that is wrong. I think places should have at least one person who is bilingual for people who don't speak any English and are new here, but someone who has been in America for 10 years should be able to speak English when they go to a place of business. I would not move to another country where people speak a different language and expect them to accommodate me I would learn their language because its only right. And by the way learning a language costs money and some people cannot afford to do it when they are not working in the first place.

Terri Pierce

49 months ago

I am tired of having to speak another language in MY COUNTRY "USA"
to get a job or any other reason. If you want to live, work or play in this country, United States Of America, learn OUR LANGUAGE, WHICH IN CASE YOU DID'NT KNOW, IS ENGLISH.

If you can not read this message, shame on you.

jiza in Pennsylvania

49 months ago

if you had your associates degree you would get the job. spanish or not. most want that. schools pump out certificate programs like kittens.
I would volenteer at hospital ( shows ambition) while getting degree.

Matt, NCMA in Magna, Utah

49 months ago

Terri Pierce said: I am tired of having to speak another language in MY COUNTRY "USA"
to get a job or any other reason. If you want to live, work or play in this country, United States Of America, learn OUR LANGUAGE, WHICH IN CASE YOU DID'NT KNOW, IS ENGLISH.

Hi there, Yes this is America. If have a problem with Spanish speaking in the clinics around your area, than talk to your congressman and state your opinion. That's the only way things are going to get done. We have enough problems with illegal people being in this country, just don't more fuel to the fire.

Reply in Kearny, New Jersey

49 months ago

Thank God I live in New york,where people have differences but can live and breath the same air. I feel sorry for ignorant people like your self, that believe immigrants are the reason this country is on a deep recessesion.The immigrants is what keep this country running, americans like your self don't want to get your hands dirty and work hard, if you want to take your frustrations and blame that to be the reason for your personal failiers,maybe you should try to help your self get more educated, and open your small brain. I am blessed to speak read and write three languages on my way to learn a fourth.

M in Magna, Utah

49 months ago

Reply in Kearny, New Jersey said: Thank God I live in New york,where people have differences but can live and breath the same air. I feel sorry for ignorant people like your self, that believe immigrants are the reason this country is on a deep recessesion.The immigrants is what keep this country running, americans like your self don't want to get your hands dirty and work hard, if you want to take your frustrations and blame that to be the reason for your personal failiers,maybe you should try to help your self get more educated, and open your small brain. I am blessed to speak read and write three languages on my way to learn a fourth.

Yes to the legal ones. We have a big illegal problem out here in Utah. It's draining our resources out for legal citizens, let alone they are taking our jobs send them all back we don't need them.

49 months ago

Reply in Kearny, New Jersey said: Thank God I live in New york,where people have differences but can live and breath the same air. I feel sorry for ignorant people like your self, that believe immigrants are the reason this country is on a deep recessesion.The immigrants is what keep this country running, americans like your self don't want to get your hands dirty and work hard, if you want to take your frustrations and blame that to be the reason for your personal failiers,maybe you should try to help your self get more educated, and open your small brain. I am blessed to speak read and write three languages on my way to learn a fourth.

My father is an immigrant from Macedonia he speaks 8 languages. My problem in my area is they don't want you to just be bilingual they want you to be bilingual in SPANISH. It doesn't matter if you speak anything else. I personally was born in America and I currently only speak English. I would like to learn other languages but I don't think it should determine whether I'm hired or not. I'll give you a perfect example of what goes on I sent my resume to a clinic I had a 4.0 GPA, perfect attendance, and I'm certified. A girl I went to school with also sent her resume she had passed with C's & D's, was constantly missing school because she has 5 kids at home and no reliable babysitter, and she was not certified. Guess who got the job....she did because she spoke Spanish. In my opinion I was more qualified for the position but she got it anyway. At least I know whoever hired her is gonna be kicking themselves when she doesn't show up 3 days a week.

Matt, NCMA in Magna, Utah

49 months ago

Tiffany in Waterbury, Connecticut said: My father is an immigrant from Macedonia he speaks 8 languages. My problem in my area is they don't want you to just be bilingual they want you to be bilingual in SPANISH. It doesn't matter if you speak anything else. I personally was born in America and I currently only speak English. I would like to learn other languages but I don't think it should determine whether I'm hired or not. I'll give you a perfect example of what goes on I sent my resume to a clinic I had a 4.0 GPA, perfect attendance, and I'm certified. A girl I went to school with also sent her resume she had passed with C's & D's, was constantly missing school because she has 5 kids at home and no reliable babysitter, and she was not certified. Guess who got the job....she did because she spoke Spanish. In my opinion I was more qualified for the position but she got it anyway. At least I know whoever hired her is gonna be kicking themselves when she doesn't show up 3 days a week.

Hi there, That's generally how it goes. I have experienced it myself. These people would never come to school and they would not their tests, let alone turn in their homework assignments, they always had an excuse for everything. I speak three languages myself. That so called person you are talking about will not have job very long. Just for the simple reason, when they see that she lacks needed for the job to right, she will be out of there. Everything happens for a reason. Just wait you will see it happen.

SKYY in Toledo, Ohio

48 months ago

I cant stand when MA'S come and want to assume others are unprofessional etc just because they got hired at their externship site or soon after finishing school and we haven't. Trust me only a small percentage of students get hired like that.

I been out of scool seven months and have tried every avenue I can think of and still nothing.I work as a STNA and still nothing.I keep in touch with six girls that graduated with and only one landed a job which was through her externship.

I find it strange that when I'm reading the wanted sections RN and LPN positions usually dosen't mention anything about experience and as soon as I spot a MA postion,2 years required. So know I'm on the waiting list for nursing school in the mean time I still will continue to search.

Good luck to the 80% of those MA in my situation, again there are some MA that land a job soon after and kudos to you but thats not always the case.

SKYY in Toledo, Ohio

48 months ago

*school

none of u b in Kearny, New Jersey

48 months ago

Get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL @ Medical Assistants in Warwick, Rhode Island

47 months ago

Dont you feel duped? These stupid schools on TV put commercials of people wearing scrubs sitting in rooms taking blood pressures on each other. The backgrounds are the same. There are medical diagrams around the room making it look all official. The school sounded legit right???

Well in reality, these schools are EXPENSIVE for what you get. You finish this "program" and end up looking for a job. Once you find one, you realize that you are the whipping boy in any doctors office, hospital, clinical setting. You do all the thankless tasks and you are at the mercy of the Doctors and Nurses. While this occurs, you are making 11 dollars an hour maybe. Does this sound like a "career" that the stupid commercials market themselves and training you for?

Become a RN, Respiratory Therapist, Speech and Language Pathologist, Doctor, Radiology (MRI, CT, Nuclear Medicine, Ultrasound, Mammography) Technologist. Yes put forth a little more effort and time in school than a medical assistant requires. It might not matter to you immediately after finishing school BUT 20 years down the line you will be glad you did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

calibe in La Mesa, California

47 months ago

Terri Pierce said: I am tired of having to speak another language in MY COUNTRY "USA"

not true, I speak english and spanish, and I still can't get a job. I have over 15 years experience. The economy really sucks right now and this president isn't doing anything about it!!!!!!

anna in Glendale, California

42 months ago

that is bullsh*t doesnt matter it doesnt matter what you are if your american or an immigrant u cant get a job unless u have a diploma or something286

7431 in Washington, District of Columbia

41 months ago

calibe in La Mesa, California said: not true, I speak english and spanish, and I still can't get a job. I have over 15 years experience. The economy really sucks right now and this president isn't doing anything about it!!!!!!

I finish school in December and have gone on a few interviews but have not been hired yet. But I'm not giving up. Yes the economy is really bad, it was bad BEFORE our president was in office and did you not hear him say that thing will not change overnight that it will take time!!! Just realize that he has to clean up the mess that our last president made!!!

Lol@medical assistants in Westminster, Maryland

41 months ago

Lol keep dreamin. Obama gonna take of you. Yeah you keep believin that.

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

41 months ago

It's really a shame. You go to school to learn a new career, and you can't even get a job in the field that you trained in. Now you'll be in student loan debt for the rest of your life. If you ever see those ads on TV, don't fall for that "now I have a career that I love" or "you can have an exciting career as a medical assistant" nonsense. All they're doing is just simply glamorizing the fields that they teach, and that's bottom line.

I clearly can't stress that these trade schools don't tell you the reality of being a medical assistant, or even getting a job as one. I don't know about where you live, but here in Pennsylvania, you have to pass an exam before you can get a job as a medical assistant. And besides, how are you going to get experience if they don't even want to train you. You have to get started somewhere.

Pam in Livermore, California

41 months ago

Its not like that , I am an MA too, they need experience or spanish speaking and they are ready to train, I am not american still don't have a job? so it's not because you are american you are not getting job!

shindy in Elmhurst, New York

17 months ago

DENISE in Fontana, California said: YES THATS RIGHT I GRADUATED IN 2007 ITS NOW 2010 AND THESE FREKEN CLINICS REFUSE TO GIVS US A CHANCE AND ALSO BECAUSE YOU DONT SPEAK SPANISH IM PAYING THIS SCHOLL BACK MY NEY I BARELY HAVE. EVEN THO I CANT GET HIRED THIS IS A BUNCH OF BULL! MY ADVICE TO PEOPLE WHO WANT TO GO TO SCHOOL TO BE A MEDICAL ASST. DONT DO IT! ITS A WASTE OF TIME SERIOUSLY!!

I totally agree with you, I went to MA school for nine months full-time,Made straight A's and because im not bi-lingual i cannot find a job.I should of went to spanish classes instead,they want translaters not medical assistants,It destroyed my life wasted my time and money.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.