medical assistant wages

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 202)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Shelbyville Medical Assistant in Shelbyville, Tennessee

73 months ago

JacksonCNA in Eugene, Oregon said: My point in including CNAs in my discussion, which some have you have missed, is that CNAs are part of the NURSING STAFF. No, they are not nurses and do not have the responsibilites and skills that nurses do.

I was not comparing CNAs to MAs.....I was comparing the field of nursing to the field of medical assisting. CNAs give a fundamental part of nursing care. The only similarity between CNAs and MAs is that they are both unliscenced. However, at least nurse assistants have required certification through the State Board of Nursing.

And, for the record, my initial nurse assistant course was 3 months in length and my acute care class was an additional 8 weeks. I am a trusted and respected part of the nursing staff and do a hell of a lot more than "wipe asses."

The skills of an MA are different than those of a CNA, not better.

See you got upset when I started saying what I felt about CNAs so if it upset you so much which it did why would you try to belittle MAs? Do you think we don't get upset when people down our career choice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

JacksonCNA in Eugene, Oregon said: You do know how a hospital works, right?

Doctors do not work on unit floors. Doctors are present in the hospital, sure, but everytime a patient needs a medication it is an RN will have the clinical judgement necessary to make decisions regarding per diem meds. LPNs may exercise the same judgement, but they have to consult with an RN and have the RN sign off on the order.

Do you think that if a patient is having a life threatening emergency that requires drug therapy/intervention that a nurse is going to call (and wait around) for the MD?

No. The nurse is going to act fast and administer the medication.

Do you think

Yes the RN .....We were talking about LPNs Not the RN I know what a RN can and can not do seeing as how my mom in law works in the ICU so yeah but once again we were talking about LPNs....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anna in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

73 months ago

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: According to Medical Assistant.Net,
Medical Assistants CAN NOT:
1. Independently diagnose or treat
patients
2. Perform arterial punctures
3. Perform tests that involve the
penetration of human tissues except
skin tests, and venous and capillary
blood collection
4. Administer intravenous medications.
Only professionals that are certified
or licensed to do so are allowed to do
this
5. Independently provide medical
treatment, analyze test results,
advise patients about their condition,
or treatment regimen, or perform
medical care decision making.
6. Administer any anesthetic agent,
except a topical(local) numbing agent
to the skin, such as an EMLA patch
7. Independently prescribe or refill
medications
8. Practice physical therapy, except
technical supportive services, which
utilize concepts of physical therapy
under the supervision of a licensed
healthcare professional.
CAREFUL! Medical assistants that diregard established professional standards, attempt to perform procedures beyond their training, capabilities, or scope of practice, or decides to act independently without permission, and the presence of a supervising health care provider are in real danger of exposing themselves, patients and their supervisors to serious consequences that can carry far reaching liability issues.

okay and you are saying what?????We know what we can and can't do....At my school we are trained to draw blood, do ekgs, take vitals, relay doctors orders,after care treatment, and call in refills for the doctors....We know it is after the doctor okays this. We are not saying we can open someone up and perform an operation we are saying or at least I am saying what I can do here in TN....We can help in surgery if our doctor want us in there. We can also go and do check ups on the paients in the hospitals if the doctors says so...So you arew not telling me anything I do not know..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

......This is what a MA can do ......
1.Prepare and file medical records and patient charts
2.Maintain medical records using standard filing systems
3.Perform inventory control and ordering supplies
4.Maintain and adjust medical office equipment
5.Manage a petty cash drawer
6.Post service charges and payments
7.Gather community resources
8.Prepare and maintain appointment books
9.Sterilize, wrap, and label instruments
10.Prepare the examination room
11.Record body measurements and vital signs
12.Prepare patients for their physical examinations
13.Assist with therapeutic procedures
14.Assist during simple surgical procedures
15.Administer medications and injections as ordered
16.Collect and preserve specimens (blood, urine, sputum, wound scrapings, throat cultures, etc.)
17.Perform simple STAT laboratory tests on collected specimens
18.Answer phones, and relay patient's requests and questions
19.Type business correspondence
20.Transcribe dictated documents
21.Review and explain doctor's instructions (patient education)
22.Respond to medical office emergencies and administer basic first aid.

This is from the same web site medicalassistant.net
The part she left out.
As you can see we can do more then we can't and most of the stuff we can't do isn't being done in the doctors office anyhow....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JacksonCNA in Eugene, Oregon

73 months ago

I wasn't belittling MAs. All I said was that they are not in the buisness of nursing. Which is true.

And, in my discussion about the use of drug intervention and RNs, I also discussed the responsibilities of the LPN. I guess you missed that. My point was that the abilities and responsibilites or nurses (LPNs and RNs) is DIFFERENT than that of medical assistants and that it most likely be impossible to challenge the NCLEX due to a difference in education.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Sorry about the grammatical typos in the previous post!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bev in Reynoldsburg, Ohio

73 months ago

Oh Boy,
I have heard so much in competetion here. First of all the main reason anyone should be in any medical career is because they want to give the best they have to help those in need. This isn't a competetion. I do want to make a comment on the meds of any nurse choosing to give a med that has not been ordered. My father was a doctor and I can tell you this no nurse no matter her degree is the judge of what med is given EVER that is unless you want to have the hospital sued and you lose your job. Yes you do wait until you are given the permission to administer meds in hospital. Usually takes 3min at most. That is why there are residents and interns. The usual protocol for any unforseen emergency on a critical patient that would need an immmediate decision is set forth by the patients physician ahead of time on the chart as to what is permitted to be given. NO NURSE ever makes a decision on her own as far as meds go. That is common sense.
I do hope that whatever career move you make that you are happy in it and do the best you can to serve and protect your patient to the best of your ability. That is the bottom line.
Happy New Year to each and every one of you and Good Luck BEV

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

JacksonCNA in Eugene, Oregon said: I wasn't belittling MAs. All I said was that they are not in the buisness of nursing. Which is true.

And, in my discussion about the use of drug intervention and RNs, I also discussed the responsibilities of the LPN. I guess you missed that. My point was that the abilities and responsibilites or nurses (LPNs and RNs) is DIFFERENT than that of medical assistants and that it most likely be impossible to challenge the NCLEX due to a difference in education.

No we are not nurses...I know that all I am trying to say is in the doctors office we are doing the same thing.I know that outside the office and in other settings they are different..But not in the office...Now I won't say another thing about this it is giving me a headache.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

And just so everyone knows I called my mom in law and she said that she still had to get the ok from the doctor on duty in the ICU and go by the family's doctors orders that are in the pts chart....if any dire emergency happened which was alot in the ICU....Now I will let it drop....

73 months ago

Anna in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: And just so everyone knows I called my mom in law and she said that she still had to get the ok from the doctor on duty in the ICU and go by the family's doctors orders that are in the pts chart....if any dire emergency happened which was alot in the ICU....Now I will let it drop....

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT AS I STATED ABOVE. NO NURSE CAN GIVE MEDS WITHOUT PHYSICIANS ORDERS, IN EMERGENCY RESIDENT HAS TO BE CONSULTED AND OTHERWISE EVEN THE INTERNS CONSULT WITH PHYSICIAN IN CHARGE BELIEVE YOU ME I REMEMBER OUR PHONE RINGING OFF THE WALL WITH CONSULT AND PERMISSION FROM MY FATHER TO ADMINISTER ANY MEDS NOT ON CHART. WELL DONE U ARE ON THE BALL HERE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

ONE MORE THING I WOULD LIKE TO SAY IT IS A LITTLE SCAREY FOR ANY NURSE TO THINK SHE CAN ADMINISTER MEDS WITHOUT PHYSICIANS PERMISSION AND I HOPE I AM NEVER IN THAT HOSPITAL THAT ALLOWS THEM TO THINK THEY HAVE THAT RIGHT. GUESS WE SHOULD ALL START READING THE SMALL PRINT BEFORE BEING ADMITTED IN HOSPITAL FROM NOW ON. LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Kat in Mansfield, Texas said: That's right. We can make our on nursing judgements without consulting RNs. For example I have a Dr's order for Morphine Sulfate 20 mg/ml give 0.25 ml - 1 ml SL Q 1 hr PRN pain/sob. Depending on my pt's level of pain, tolerance, physical size, etc. I make the decision on how much MS the pt receives, within the ordered amounts of course....

THIS is the type of clinical judgement I was referring to in regards to nurses being able to make decisions about drug administration. I guess that wasn't clear. Of course nurses cannot just ramdomly decide to give any medication they want. I didn't think that was my implication.

This whole discussion is headache inducing, so I'm out. Good luck in your careers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

t dubose in Washington, District of Columbia

73 months ago

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? NO ONE SAID ANYTHING ABOUT NOT TAKING ORDERS FROM AN PHYSCIAN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

t dubose in Washington, District of Columbia

73 months ago

I TOTALLY AGREE BEV. WHEN YOU START ANY MEDICAL CLASS YOUR FIRST THING AND MAIN CONCERN IS YOUR CARE FOR THE PATIENT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

t dubose in Washington, District of Columbia said: WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? NO ONE SAID ANYTHING ABOUT NOT TAKING ORDERS FROM AN PHYSCIAN.

Bev and Anna jumped on me for implying that nurses did not need to take physician orders. Of corse this is false and I didn't mean to insinuate that. That was what my post was referring to.

Okay, NOW, I'm out. Again, good luck with your careers.

73 months ago

Kat in Mansfield, Texas said: That's right. In Texas and Washington, where I've been licensed, LPN/LVNs don't require any "signing off" by the RN. We can make our on nursing judgements without consulting RNs. For example I have a Dr's order for Morphine Sulfate 20 mg/ml give 0.25 ml - 1 ml SL Q 1 hr PRN pain/sob. Depending on my pt's level of pain, tolerance, physical size, etc. I make the decision on how much MS the pt receives, within the ordered amounts of course....

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think an MA can legally pass medications in an acute inpatient setting. There are certain legal statues in place that regulate hospitals and their care and I am %99 sure that only licensed persons can give medications.

Ok now KAT yours is clear you say you have a DRs order to give MS...Jacksons clearly states that ({Quote} Doctors do not work on unit floors and Do you think that if a patient is having a life threatening emergency that requires drug therapy/intervention that a nurse is going to call (and wait around) for the MD? No. The nurse is going to act fast and administer the medication.) Now hers is not clear if she meant that she had doctors order than pharse it that way.... Anna and I are friends she got me on to this site and I can see where she would take it to mean that....Be clear and no one is jumping down your throat this is a forum you say something someone responds as Anna learned before it can get ugly if someone disagrees with what is being said..... She got it in another forum in here lol she got chewed up and spit out lol...She was the bigger person and quit playing back and forth with the person who was doing it. She is in no way doing anything like that... Just be more clear if you meant it one way and it was taking another than make sure you write it like you meant it to begin with...Now I am done...

Kat in Mansfield, Texas

73 months ago

Advanced Practice RNs can give medication orders by the way... So can physician assistants.... So yes other practioners besides Drs can give orders, just to clarify.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Mansfield, Texas

73 months ago

Bev in Reynoldsburg, Ohio said: ONE MORE THING I WOULD LIKE TO SAY IT IS A LITTLE SCAREY FOR ANY NURSE TO THINK SHE CAN ADMINISTER MEDS WITHOUT PHYSICIANS PERMISSION AND I HOPE I AM NEVER IN THAT HOSPITAL THAT ALLOWS THEM TO THINK THEY HAVE THAT RIGHT. GUESS WE SHOULD ALL START READING THE SMALL PRINT BEFORE BEING ADMITTED IN HOSPITAL FROM NOW ON. LOL

That's why we have licenses and if we practice outside of those parameters we are disciplined. So obviously a prudent nurse who protects her license would not intentionally administer medication without an order. That's a given. I have never worked in critical care or taken part in a code so I really can't say for sure what happens regarding administering life saving medications without an order. However you maybe surprised how much influence a nurse has in regarding the care and medication of pts since we are the eyes and ears for the physicians. A good nurse can suggest certain things for the physician to order and that physician relies on the nurses judgement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Kat in Mansfield, Texas said: Advanced Practice RNs can give medication orders by the way... So can physician assistants.... So yes other practioners besides Drs can give orders, just to clarify.

NPs are the advanced practice nurses right aand i already knew the PA could

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ms. Lurker LVN, RMA in Alameda, California

73 months ago

Wow. This thread sure took a strange and sour turn.

The OP was asking about MA wages and negotiating for better pay. MAs in my area MUST be certified and make between $11-$15 per hour. Negotiating better pay can be done in privately owned clinics, but those run by our local hospital are not that flexible with the pay to their unliscenced staff.

A word about MA training. Associate degree programs for medical assistants seem to be on the buisness of making money off stugents. A one year certificate program is sufficient to train a skilled and competent employee. Many times the skills learned in a 2-year program (EKG, X-ray) are never used by most NAs in the clinic setting; they have other more skilled techs to perform JUST those duties.

I worked as an RMA for several years and I, and most MAs, roomed patients, took history and vitals, cheif complaint, charted, gave rountine injections, filed paperwork, called in routine scrips, stocked, insurance approval and billing, etc. Most of my duties surrounded around basic office skills. Once in a while a GREAT MA position will pop up wherin an MA can utilize all their skills, but that is the EXCEPTION, not the rule.

I eventually went on for my LVN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ms. Lurker LVN, RMA in Stockton, California

73 months ago

To continue:

The sour grapes of this thread started when it was suggested (by an MA instructor, of all people) that MAs havng difficulty in the field should go and challenge the NCLEX-PN. Not only is this poor advice, it also ruffled the feathers of nurses, CNAs, and nursing student by the implication that MAs are merely underpaid and underappreciated nurses. They are most certainly not and I believe that most people here would agree.

As someone who went to both medical assistant school AND nursing school, they are VASTLY different and MAs need more realistic support then "go be a nurse instead." Nursing is a tough career and, as a previous post stated, not eveyone is cut out to be a nurse.

And, as an aside, having been a nursing assistant many moons ago, and working with them now, they are EXTREMELY important and do much more than clean bottoms. They have worked hard to earn the respect of nurses and are actually paid MORE than medical assistants.

The bar needs to be raised for MAs. You want respect? There needs to be standardized educational requirements and a liscencing board established. Until then, MAs walk a hard road.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Ms. Lurker LVN, RMA in Stockton, California said: To continue:

The sour grapes of this thread started when it was suggested (by an MA instructor, of all people) that MAs havng difficulty in the field should go and challenge the NCLEX-PN. Not only is this poor advice, it also ruffled the feathers of nurses, CNAs, and nursing student by the implication that MAs are merely underpaid and underappreciated nurses. They are most certainly not and I believe that most people here would agree.

As someone who went to both medical assistant school AND nursing school, they are VASTLY different and MAs need more realistic support then "go be a nurse instead." Nursing is a tough career and, as a previous post stated, not eveyone is cut out to be a nurse.

And, as an aside, having been a nursing assistant many moons ago, and working with them now, they are EXTREMELY important and do much more than clean bottoms. They have worked hard to earn the respect of nurses and are actually paid MORE than medical assistants.

The bar needs to be raised for MAs. You want respect? There needs to be standardized educational requirements and a liscencing board established. Until then, MAs walk a hard road.

LOL you guys still upset about the ass wipeing bit I take it....Come on we aren't saying we are nurses but we are much higher up the totem pole than the CNAs...And pretty dang close to LPNs in the doctors office....Not hospitals or other such settings but in the DR office we do the same dang thing. CNAs can get thru a program in 6 weeks that is how long my course was and my mom was hired off the street and was never certified she made good money but she had to work double shifts all the time and break her back in the process. CNAs do all the work in the nursing homes so yeah they are much needed in there. They do all the work because LPNs and RNs sit on there butts and just pass out meds. I went to work with my mom all the time and she was hit, spit on, slaped, {TBC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

and she had poop threw at her and she always came home black and blue so yeah CNAs do need to make good money. They have to pay them good to keep them. Now One time even the she passed out meds cause all the LPN on duty did was sit on her lazy butt. Now I know some will get mad and you will cause it is the truth and the truth hurts. I will stop now cause I am getting off subject.......I am now leaving this forum....Anna should never had told me about this site it is good for nothing but b*tching back and forth at each other so GOOD LUCK to all the ladys on the forum Kiss my butt to all the haters on this forum....

MAs ROCK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Ms. Lurker LVN, RMA in San Francisco, California

73 months ago

LOL! Uh, ok.

If MAs are so much higher on the "totem pole" then why do they get paid as much as or LESS than CNAs (especially CNA II)? CNAs also have more opportunities, working not only in LTC, but also hospital, assisted living, and home health. All our local nursing assistant programs are 3-5 months, depending on the level of certification desired.

And thanks, but RNs and LPNs don't "sit on their butts passing meds." Why so nasty? See. Sour grapes.
If the MA field "ROCKS" so much then why is it that the majority of MAs can't find work period, let alone work that pays well? If this profession is ever going to be taken seriously changes need to be made in the way medical assistants are educated as well as liscencing and regulation of practice. Hostility is unnecessary when someone comes on here with supportive advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Advise my butt you guys are putting down MAs.. Saying you are so much better than them..I can read between the lines. And that is all the ladys did at the homes where my freinds mom worked..She left that and went into home health and did that for awhile. My sister-in-law came out of school making 13 starting now she is making 2 years later 16 an hour..Another girl goty a job while in school making 15 and when she got out they paid her 17+ an hour..This was less than a year ago so we are getting hired you just have to friendly and love people....My friend who is a MA in Shelbyville is making 14 and she just got her job so I think starting out that is pretty good money. NASTY no I am not nasty I am saying what I know and what she went through so there..Oh and we can work in hospitals.....I don't want to work in a nursing home nope sure don't I want to work where people aren't going to try and poop on me or beat on me which is in both hospitials and nursing homes...I will keep the safer job and work in a doctors office...Now I will also leave this forum it is sucking anyway so you guys have a great life......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Ms. Lurker LVN, RMA in Lakewood, California

73 months ago

But I'm not putting down MAs. You are reading too much between the lines (i.e. you're only hearing what you want to).

My main points were:

1. The medical assisting field needs to increase it's educational standards and maintain a well defined scope of practice and liscencing board. This is to garner greater wages as well as respect among others in the medical community.

2. MAs duties and nursing duties ARE NOT the same, therefor "encouraging" out of work MAs to challenge state nursing boards to find employment is not a good idea. The education is different.

I was an MAs for years and now, as a nurse, I actually DON'T feel I'm "better" than medical assistants; I just have a different role now. The mud-slinging between nurses and MAs is immature and needs to stop. How ironic that MAs cry that nurses are "belittling," "putting down," or "hating on" MAs and then in the same breath do the same to nurses. It's stupidity coming from both sides.

I stand by my comments about educational standards. Some of the comments on this board are outrageous; are you going to say that some private vocational "college" charging $15K-$20K for an Associate Degree (with credits that generally don't transfer, no less) in a field that pays SO LITTLE is not a rip-off? They're not taking advantage of students? Most of these schools need to be shut down. There needs to be a standardized curriculum for all MA programs and that is going to happen when the practice is regulated and these diploma mill schools are no longer in buisness.

But I guess that some of you on here just want to complain about how nurse belittle you while you belittle nurses and whine that you don't get the respect you deserve.

Whether you believe me or not, I truly wish everyone here luck in their careers; you'll need it. I was hoping that things might have changed since I left medical assisting, but sadly, I see it has not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ms. Lurker LVN, RMA in San Jose, California

73 months ago

On more thing: I did not leave the MA field for nursing because I wanted to be "better." I went into nursing because I could not afford to feed my family on $10/hr. It's sad that ANYONE with specialized training (especially in the medical field) would make so little. Somehow medical assistants need to collectively raise the bar and increase the professionalism of this career field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Kat in Mansfield, Texas said: Advanced Practice RNs can give medication orders by the way... So can physician assistants.... So yes other practioners besides Drs can give orders, just to clarify.

if you are talking about nurse practicianers yes they can and they can open their own office. They are only one year and an internship from being a doctor and as far as a Physician Assistant they are only internship away from being a physician. They are well out of the scope of what we are talking about as far as RN MA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

JacksonCNA in Eugene, Oregon said: Bev and Anna jumped on me for implying that nurses did not need to take physician orders. Of corse this is false and I didn't mean to insinuate that. That was what my post was referring to.

Okay, NOW, I'm out. Again, good luck with your careers.

Do you think that if a patient is having a life threatening emergency that requires drug therapy/intervention that a nurse is going to call (and wait around) for the MD?

Kat in Mansfield, Texas

73 months ago

Bev in Reynoldsburg, Ohio said: if you are talking about nurse practicianers yes they can and they can open their own office. They are only one year and an internship from being a doctor and as far as a Physician Assistant they are only internship away from being a physician. They are well out of the scope of what we are talking about as far as RN MA

Advance Practice RNs includes ARNP (advanced registered nurse practitioner, FNP (family nurse practitioner, CNM (certified nurse midwife), NNP (neonatal nurse practitioner), CRNA (certified nurse anesthetist) and probably more that I do no know. Both PAs and NPs receive totally different educations from a physician. A NP has a nursing background and is a bachelors degree RN with master degree specialized training. A PA has a medical background and a bachelors degree and goes to PA school which can either be an associate, bachelors or masters level training. Neither attend medical school. I only brought this up because at one point one poster said "only a physician can prescribe meds".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Mansfield, Texas

73 months ago

Ms. Lurker LVN, RMA in Lakewood, California said:

2. MAs duties and nursing duties ARE NOT the same, therefor "encouraging" out of work MAs to challenge state nursing boards to find employment is not a good idea. The education is different.

Since this is brought back up in response to earlier posts. I thought I would shed some light and save some time for those wondering if they can challenge the LPN boards. I just included a few states that I saw listed on here, but just google your state's board of nursing.

Tennessee:
"Tennessee law requires an applicant for licensure by examination to be either a graduate of an approved professional (RN) school of nursing or an approved practical nursing (LPN) program in order to be eligible to take
the licensure examination (NCLEX RN or PN)"

Ohio:
"To apply for licensure by examination to practice nursing as a licensed practical nurse in Ohio, an applicant must have successfully completed a practical nursing education program"

Maryland:
"To be eligible for the NCLEX-PN examination you must: Complete satisfactorily and meet all requirements for a diploma from a practical nursing education program approved by the Board..."

Washington D.C.:
"LPN applicants must be graduates of an approved school of practical nursing..."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bev in West Mansfield, Ohio

73 months ago

Bev in Reynoldsburg, Ohio said: Let me know how you make out with your search.

Thank you for your insight-my daughter was required to take 60 credit hours for her certificate besides her Associates of Applied
Science credit hours. She too is having trouble finding a job-I feel bad for her since she put so much effort into it. It bothers me to think so money and time had to be spent when you said it is only a 18 week course.

xray guy in Kissimmee, Florida

73 months ago

Can somebody tell me if I am ok and should keep quiet or if I should talk to my boss?

Here is my situation: I'm a basic x ray tech in the Kissimmee, FL area and I get paid $15.50 an hour (just got to that amount in my last paycheck) I have 5 1/2 years experience and I also have a lot of MA skills which I use at work sometimes as well as some knowledge of the billing system, which I also use (when I'm slow with x ray) to help the billing ladies. Now, I came across a pay stub of one of my co-workers by mistake the other day and noticed that he was making 19.00 an hour. He has been with us for about 6 months but have a few years of experience from a previous job. Is it normal that an MA makes that much more? or am I getting screwed?

Please help me with some information I have been researching salaries in the web and it seems that it should not be like that. But it is very difficult to get straight up info on salaries for a BMO all the info is for RT.

Thanks,
Xray Guy

lellerbrock1 in Denver, Colorado

73 months ago

First and foremost, what is the job market there? If there are a lot of people without jobs in your field, then be careful. For example, there are people with Master's degrees all over the country taking huge pay cuts and taking jobs of those that have associates and bachelor's. So employer's can pick and choose their employees right now. In addition, you can't tell your boss that 'you saw your co-worker's paycheck'. That wouldn't be a good thing to say. So how do you approach? You can always ask for a raise based upon 'your own' merits by pointing out your experience, what you do on the job etc. However, you may just get told, if you don't like what you are getting paid, then leave. Bottom line, you need to make the decision for yourself on how comfortable you feel with your boss. You may also want to look at what the going wages are in your area for what you do. If they warrant more money, then print it out but make sure it is from the BLS or something like that or direct from the state you reside in. Show that to your boss a long with what you have accomplished and perhaps you would get a raise out of it. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Bev in Reynoldsburg, Ohio said: Do you think that if a patient is having a life threatening emergency that requires drug therapy/intervention that a nurse is going to call (and wait around) for the MD?

I don't know how this got on my name because I will say that Hell Yes she will wait.

73 months ago

Ms. Lurker LVN, RMA in Stockton, California said: To continue:

I hope you aren't talking about me as the instructor of all. Because you have sincerely got everything I said wrong. We were talking about the time these kids were going to school to be certified as MA and I said that it was crazy way too much time and they could be an RN in community college in two years time. If I went to school that long for ma I would contact the board of the state and see if I couldn't test in to be at least an LPN which only takes one year to acheive. It was basically satire on with some very stiff truths which I believe you also made about the 2 year time taken them for their money. You would think with all the education CLAIMED TO BE HAD BY SOME here that you could understand when something is meant as a hard truth standing by reality.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

HERE IS A THOUGHT THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD IS MEDICAL ASSISTANT WAGES.... NOT I AM BETTER THAN YOU IN KINDERGARTEN. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THIS TOOK OFF LIKE THIS BUT THE FACT WE STARTED THIS OUT WITH WAS MA WAGE AND THAT IT ISN'T FAIR. THAT IS A FACT HANDS DOWN. I DOUBT ANY OF YOU FEEL YOU MAKE THE MONEY YOU SHOULD FOR WHAT YOU DO. WELL IT IS NO DIFFERENT FOR AN MA NOT GETTING ANY MORE MONEY THAN A MCDONALDS HAMBURGER FLIPPER. WHEN LIKE IT OR NOT WE HAVE AND DO SAVE LIFES. MAY NOT BE A GOOD AS YOU KNOW IT ALL GALS BUT IT HAS BEEN DONE NONE THE LESS. YOU KNOW THE FUNNY THING IS THAT YOU MAY THINK YOU ARE BETTER THAN M.A.'S BUT WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO WHAT GOOD YOU ARE INSIDE SPOUTING SUCH MEANESS YOU MAY BE VERY MUCH MISTAKEN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ms Lurker LVN, RMA in Hayward, California

73 months ago

Bev in Reynoldsburg, Ohio said: I hope you aren't talking about me as the instructor of all. Because you have sincerely got everything I said wrong. We were talking about the time these kids were going to school to be certified as MA and I said that it was crazy way too much time and they could be an RN in community college in two years time. If I went to school that long for ma I would contact the board of the state and see if I couldn't test in to be at least an LPN which only takes one year to acheive. It was basically satire on with some very stiff truths which I believe you also made about the 2 year time taken them for their money. You would think with all the education CLAIMED TO BE HAD BY SOME here that you could understand when something is meant as a hard truth standing by reality.

By all means, if I misunderstood your comment please accept my apologies; I would not want to put words in anyones mouth.

We do see eye to eye on a few the issues.

Ms Lurker LVN, RMA in Hayward, California

73 months ago

Bev in Reynoldsburg, Ohio said: HERE IS A THOUGHT THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD IS MEDICAL ASSISTANT WAGES.... NOT I AM BETTER THAN YOU IN KINDERGARTEN. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THIS TOOK OFF LIKE THIS BUT THE FACT WE STARTED THIS OUT WITH WAS MA WAGE AND THAT IT ISN'T FAIR. THAT IS A FACT HANDS DOWN. I DOUBT ANY OF YOU FEEL YOU MAKE THE MONEY YOU SHOULD FOR WHAT YOU DO. WELL IT IS NO DIFFERENT FOR AN MA NOT GETTING ANY MORE MONEY THAN A MCDONALDS HAMBURGER FLIPPER. WHEN LIKE IT OR NOT WE HAVE AND DO SAVE LIFES. MAY NOT BE A GOOD AS YOU KNOW IT ALL GALS BUT IT HAS BEEN DONE NONE THE LESS. YOU KNOW THE FUNNY THING IS THAT YOU MAY THINK YOU ARE BETTER THAN M.A.'S BUT WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO WHAT GOOD YOU ARE INSIDE SPOUTING SUCH MEANESS YOU MAY BE VERY MUCH MISTAKEN.

I really hope this was not specifically directed at me.

I did not come on here to fight and I'm not trying to be a know-it-all. I came on here because I am an RMA. I loved being a medical assistant but had to move on because I couldn't support my family on such low wages.

My comments in this thread were my opinions about the problems in the MA field and ways that I think they can be improved (standardized educational curriculums and regulation).

My comments in this thread have also been defensive: as have most of the other comments on here. When people become emotional they become less logical. Many posts (not specifically yours, Bev) were just rude or vindictive. It's really uncalled for, and that type of childish who's-better-than-who "debate" was not what I wanted to enter into.

delight in Langhorne, Pennsylvania

73 months ago

connie rollins in Saginaw, Michigan said: i have been a certified medical assistant for over twenty years. i have not worked for the past three years due to medical problems. The company i worked for paid me about 11 dollars an hour and great benifits. they went out of business, anyway i have an interview with a physician on friday and i have no idea how private offices pay.i was hoping some one can help so i know how to negociate my pay??anyone please???

hi i have been in the medical field as a national certified medical asst for sixteen years. my last job was at bristol myers aquibb cpu i was making almost twenty dollars an hr.my job also closed in oct.this is to the lady that was making 11 per hr.sweetheart never sell urself short. u r doing nurse work.hell they would have to pay a nurse and with ur experience.dont settle for less u deserve more. with all do respect.the dr office could not touch me for 11 dollars an hr. and with ur experience please. do the damn thang girl. one pissed off jersey girl

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Ms Lurker LVN, RMA in Hayward, California said: I really hope this was not specifically directed at me.

I did not come on here to fight and I'm not trying to be a know-it-all. I came on here because I am an RMA. I loved being a medical assistant but had to move on because I couldn't support my family on such low wages.

My comments in this thread were my opinions about the problems in the MA field and ways that I think they can be improved (standardized educational curriculums and regulation).

My comments in this thread have also been defensive: as have most of the other comments on here. When people become emotional they become less logical. Many posts (not specifically yours, Bev) were just rude or vindictive. It's really uncalled for, and that type of childish who's-better-than-who "debate" was not what I wanted to enter into.

Not Specifically....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

delight in Langhorne, Pennsylvania said: hi i have been in the medical field as a national certified medical asst for sixteen years. my last job was at bristol myers aquibb cpu i was making almost twenty dollars an hr.my job also closed in oct.this is to the lady that was making 11 per hr.sweetheart never sell urself short. u r doing nurse work.hell they would have to pay a nurse and with ur experience.dont settle for less u deserve more. with all do respect.the dr office could not touch me for 11 dollars an hr. and with ur experience please. do the damn thang girl. one pissed off jersey girl

AMEN SISTER

di in Wyckoff, New Jersey

73 months ago

connie rollins in Saginaw, Michigan said: i have been a certified medical assistant for over twenty years. i have not worked for the past three years due to medical problems. The company i worked for paid me about 11 dollars an hour and great benifits. they went out of business, anyway i have an interview with a physician on friday and i have no idea how private offices pay.i was hoping some one can help so i know how to negociate my pay??anyone please???

If it helps to know...medical assistants in N.Y. make about 39,000 per year...NJ 49,000...you are in michigan..you may want to do a salary check for your area through a website like salary.com.It will ask where you live and give you an estimate of what you should be making for your area and years of experience...hope this helps..

73 months ago

Bev in Reynoldsburg, Ohio said: Oh I understand what you are saying but even one whole year of medical assisting is far more than is needed for certification. I wish you luck in your career.

Hi,
You seem to know enough about schooling or Medical Assisting...I have recently left the dental field (oral surgery) certified as an assistant...thinking of going to be medical assistant..what exactly is the time frame for the course..I like the medical field..but it seems on all the dental forums they all "hate" their jobs and bosses treat them badly...I assume the medical assisting field is different? I hope! If you have any insight on this subject it would be much appreciated...

73 months ago

Nicole in Inglewood, California said: I stand by my statements.

Medical assistants are an important part of the clinic setting, but they are not liscenced and do not have the autonomy that nurses do. They may learn some nursing tasks, but do not learn WHY they need to be done. They are not taught basic hands-on nursing care and they cannot asses nor make independant decisions about treatment. If they do, they are operating outside their ill-defined scope of practice.

Furthermore, nursing does not constitute a "technical" or "vocational" education. The required academics are rigorous and nurses tend to be very educated and intelligent people. An Associate degree (ASN) in nursing takes longer than 2 years to complete when you consider the prerequisite classes needed to apply to the program.

gotta tell ya,,we have had some nurses working in our dental office who were RN's LPN's they were the worst people to work with!
We had an RN who could not for the life of her look something up in the anatomy book and find what we were asking for..Our certifed oral surgery assitant found it almost immediately...so I would not put so much praise on how "bright" nurses are...there are very few that "truly" "care" and "want" to be nurses..I swear I don't know how this one made it through school but it was scary..we had to fire her!

Undecided in Eugene, Oregon

73 months ago

di in Wyckoff, New Jersey said: gotta tell ya,,we have had some nurses working in our dental office who were RN's LPN's they were the worst people to work with!
We had an RN who could not for the life of her look something up in the anatomy book and find what we were asking for..Our certifed oral surgery assitant found it almost immediately...so I would not put so much praise on how "bright" nurses are...there are very few that "truly" "care" and "want" to be nurses..I swear I don't know how this one made it through school but it was scary..we had to fire her!

Why would an RN work in a dental office?? I have never heard of that; it seems like they would be completely out of their element. You can't judge how "bright" nurses are based on their performance in a dentists office. Nurses are not taught much about oral anatomy.

73 months ago

di in Wyckoff, New Jersey said: Hi,
You seem to know enough about schooling or Medical Assisting...I have recently left the dental field (oral surgery) certified as an assistant...thinking of going to be medical assistant..what exactly is the time frame for the course..I like the medical field..but it seems on all the dental forums they all "hate" their jobs and bosses treat them badly...I assume the medical assisting field is different? I hope! If you have any insight on this subject it would be much appreciated...

If you are in N J I don't know what this area offers as far as schooling. I do know that I taught at the Institute of Medical and Dental Technology at one time and the Dental was 12 mos. due to the oral surgery requirements. However our Medical Asst.'s at here were only required to serve 10 mos. They had to pass our internal testing in order to quaify for certification testing. Those who did passed their certs. with extremely high scores. You should check and see what schools have a good rep with the least amt. of time spent in the school. There are several everywhere be sure you aren't taken for a long ride just to help the school make money on you. Good Luck. Remember that no matter where you work you have the good guys and the jerks with God complexes. If you like the dental field find a good guy to work for they are out there.

73 months ago

our office puts individuals under sedation and general anesthesia so there was a need for a nurse at the time...i wondered myself why she would even bother...and nurses should have a basic knowledge of all anatomy...we wouldn't expect her to know the 'teeth" persay but there are arteries, nerves etc that she should have comprehension of and understand when you are working in the jaw...as I stated she was not the "brightest". we found out later she apparently had a history of problems at previous places of employment...and she wasn't a very tolerant person when it came to the patients...just not what we expected from a "Nurse"...live and learn i guess...

Denny in Flint, Michigan

73 months ago

Shelbyville Medical Assistant in Shelbyville, Tennessee said: Here in Tn at the local community college they just lowerd the number of students they will accept in the nursing program. Have no idea why but it is very hard to get into the programs here. And I agree with all about the MAs not being on the same level as RNs. But do feel that we are pretty damn close to LPNs. At one school they are even teaching them together. The difference is they get more hands on and they are licensed. I am happy to be becoming an MA and do plan on taking my degree futher.

Here is a web site telling what LPNs are trained to do. www.iseek.org/sv/Careers?id=13000:100117

Now here is one telling what MAs do. stats.bls.gov/oco/ocos164.htm

Now as you can see LPNs and MAs do the same thing in a doctors office. We can work in hospitals just under different title is all but do much of the same thing. I really don't care which is better just wanted to put in my two cents worth. I feel that as long as we are happy with what we are doing who cares what others think......Just my thought

I have worked as a Medical Assistant for 11 years at a very good hospital, the only difference is- that Medical Assistants can't work on the floors, but it is not because of our training it is because we would jeopardize the jobs of nursing assistants because we do so much more.

Denny in Flint, Michigan

73 months ago

JacksonCNA in Eugene, Oregon said: Whether an employer offers a sign-on bonus or not has nothing to do with how competitve nursing school enrollment is. Just because a state has a "dire need" for nurses does not mean that schools are lowering their standards. It is very competitive here in Oregon, too.

And, no MAs do not do the "same thing" as LPNs, even in the clinnic setting. And in my area, MAs cannot work in any hospital or LTC/ALF facilicy unless they are also CNAs.

The fields of nursing (RN, LPN, CNA) and medical assisting are completely different: a nurse (except the CNA) is a liscenced professional who operates independantly within their own scope of practice. They do hand-on care and diagnostic-based treatment for patients in a variety of settings. The skills they possess (from bedpans and showers to patient education to IV med pushes) vastly overshadows those of a MA. On the other hand, MAs are unliscenced assistive personnel. They operate under the liscence of a supervising physician and do not have a defined scope of practice. They cannot do patient education nor do they participate in diagnostic assessment. They cannot make independant decisions about treatment. MAs have office and lab skills as well as a basic understanding of clinical proceedures, a skill set that makes them a desirable office employee.

But they are not nurses. Apples and oranges.

I disagree here in Michigan Medical Assistants are higher than an CNA, where I work I RUN the office meaning I order meds, give injections, triage phone calls and work in EVERY aspect of a nurse the only difference is that I don't get paid RN wages, which makes me want to go back to school, but I have earned the respect of the nurses and physicans that I work with on a regular basis, but there is a catch 22 with all my experience on paper I would qualify as an LPN but to go back to school I have to start from scratch because the school I went to back in 1987 was not accrediated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.