medical assistants do not get paid what they supposed to be paid

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (36)

patty63 in San Antonio, Texas

54 months ago

i have been in the medical assistant field for more than 20yrs. and i still get the salary of a graduate. all medical assistant salaries are no more than $13.50 an hour. so if you have a chance get another medical career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

j2010 in Fort Worth, Texas

54 months ago

in fort worth they get around 17.00/hr

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tiana J in Chicago, Illinois

54 months ago

patty63 it's time for a new job/new location. In Chicago the starting pay for medical assistants is at least $16 an hour, depending on the location.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Megan in San Francisco, California

54 months ago

If you're good you can also grow to become a Lead MA or go on to nursing school or acquire other certifications such as phlebotomy. You earn more if you're certified.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rinda atkerson in Erlanger, Kentucky

54 months ago

Megan in San Francisco, California said: If you're good you can also grow to become a Lead MA or go on to nursing school or acquire other certifications such as phlebotomy. You earn more if you're certified.

I have been a STATE TESTED NURSE AIDE for atleast 22 yrs my body is just to old to handle lifting and carrying and turning even with the new devices they came out with.. than you have the problem i'll help you if you help me... then you help them and then they are no where to be found.. I put up with alot of b/s so i went and got my associates in Medical assistant.. AND STill having trouble finding a job... i did my internship at urgent care did great ... i was hoping they would hire me in but she explain to me that all the part time persons are now wanting to go full time and that they were just going to use the interns...*of course* coz they dont have to pay them.. i have also heard bad things about medical billing.. so i all i can do is flip a coin and see if i want to spend another 2yrs going for the RN program and retake most of the stuff i've already had.. or do i just want to stay working in a nursing home or go on disability as my back just cant handle it anymore... i've learnt ive got 4 herniated disc.. and a few buldging and degentertive disc disease plus i'm a diabetic... any suggestions out there??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Layton. in Salt Lake City, Utah

52 months ago

Kiarbola in Clifton Heights, Pennsylvania said: In this area thr average pay for entry level is between $9-$10/hr. Remember cost of living is different in every area so the pay wont be the same everywhere

Hello Kiarbola, Good morning! I just read your posting and with your problems can I suggest maybe you should look into teaching Medical Assisting at one of the local colleges around your area. I would like to do that one day myself. I wish you the best and good luck in your search and God bless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kiarbola in Clifton Heights, Pennsylvania

52 months ago

Yea not too many teaching positions where i live for a medical assistant. There's nothing without 2-5 years or specialized experience!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Layton. in Salt Lake City, Utah

52 months ago

Kiarbola in Clifton Heights, Pennsylvania said: Yea not too many teaching positions where i live for a medical assistant. There's nothing without 2-5 years or specialized experience!

Hi there, I would just apply anyway. There could be tht one school that will hire you may never know until you try. Have a Happy Easter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MOUNTAINLASSY in East Liverpool, Ohio

30 months ago

HI. NO WE DON'T GET PAID LIKE WE SHOULD. i TRIED TO BRING IN A UNION TO HELP WITH THE MANY ISSUES IN A NURSING HOME. THEY MADE IT SO UNBEARBLE TO WORK THERE THE ONES THAT WERE FOR IT LEFT FOR OTHER PLACES THAT PAID A LITTLE BETTER.tHE FACT OF THE MATTER IS WE ARE CHEEP LABOR AND THEY WORK US TO DEATH.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MOUNTAINLASSY in East Liverpool, Ohio

30 months ago

I worked as a stna for a private nursing home for 12 years. I started out at 5.44 an hr and at 12 years just made it to 8.77. This is criminal for single mothers trying to support a family. I brought in a union but the owners made it so unbearable that most people who were for it quit, so the union went under- no support. They had slave labor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mar2000 in Fort Myers, Florida

30 months ago

I am soon to graduate as medical assistant. I have been applying for an entry level position in the medical field and no luck. I am thinking that medical assistants are not needed. What do to then? try to become a LPN or CNA? How to get my foot on the door? any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mar2000 in Fort Myers, Florida

30 months ago

she can try to volunteer or do an internship in a medical office. Lee Memorial Hospital is always looking for volunteers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Matt NCMA in Layton, Utah

30 months ago

j bird j bird2 in Ft Myers, Florida said: SO Volunterring will put food on the table and pay the school loans for three years ????? give me a breck

Hi there, You can Volunteer, and work at the same time. All you have to do is create how you want to be seen as. It's all up to you. Happy New Years...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Matt NCMA in Layton, Utah

30 months ago

j bird j bird2 in Ft Myers, Florida said: It seems like @ $10.00 a hour is the same as Volunterring in my wallet after tax's

Hi there, The wages very from state to state, $10.00 per hour is not bad. You just need to keep applying, if you volunteer just a few hours or a few days a week. You'll gain experience and you'll be helping others. You will not make a lot of money being a Medical Assistant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

MARCIE in Fort Myers, Florida

30 months ago

patty63 in San Antonio, Texas said: i have been in the medical assistant field for more than 20yrs. and i still get the salary of a graduate . all medical assistant salaries are no more than $13.50 an hour. so if you have a chance get another medical career .

I AGREE, I JUST STARTED CLASESS IN KEISER I HAVE DROPERED OUT TWICE I FEEL THATS NOT WWHAT I WANT TO DO I REALLY WANT TO BE AN RN I'VE BEEN A PCT FOR 10YRS I DON'T THINK I NEED TO GO STEP BY STEP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

visa in Oakley, California

30 months ago

patty63 in San Antonio, Texas said: i have been in the medical assistant field for more than 20yrs. and i still get the salary of a graduate. all medical assistant salaries are no more than $13.50 an hour. so if you have a chance get another medical career.

thats definitely not true.. you need to take your location and whether you work in a doctors office or outpatient hospital office. I know MA's who make from 15-31 per hour.. granted, the 31 per hour has a lot of experience and works at kaiser, but kaiser starts MA's off at about 22. i start my externship there next week.

And another hospital near here starts their MA's off at 16.

I used to live in san francisco, and out there, in a regular ol doctors office they get around 17.
location location location

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

shanise in Saint Louis, Missouri

28 months ago

patty63 in San Antonio, Texas said: i have been in the medical assistant field for more than 20yrs. and i still get the salary of a graduate. all medical assistant salaries are no more than $13.50 an hour. so if you have a chance get another medical career.

I am so glad to hear that Im not ALONE IN THIS TERRIBLE SITUATION!!! it's interesting how medical assistants work in the capacity of a nurse at times. however we're never compensated only used and abused!!!! I believe that medical assistants need to band togehter and find a way that we can bridge
over to nursing. since we have the experience without the pay for our hard work and quality job performances!!!! Its a sheer disgrace. it's not a living wage since the increase is 3 to 5% at times!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

shanise in Saint Louis, Missouri

28 months ago

MOUNTAINLASSY in East Liverpool, Ohio said: I worked as a stna for a private nursing home for 12 years. I started out at 5.44 an hr and at 12 years just made it to 8.77. This is criminal for single mothers trying to support a family. I brought in a union but the owners made it so unbearable that most people who were for it quit, so the union went under- no support. They had slave labor.

Amen to that!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

shanise in Saint Louis, Missouri

28 months ago

mar2000 in Fort Myers, Florida said: I am soon to graduate as medical assistant. I have been applying for an entry level position in the medical field and no luck. I am thinking that medical assistants are not needed. What do to then? try to become a LPN or CNA? How to get my foot on the door? any suggestions?

I think that trying to become an Lpn is the best way to go, because when you have a family mosty of the time if you're not married are dont have that extra income coming in. it's difficult to go back to school. unless you find a program that has flexibilty! it's almost like MA's are in a no win situation at times. I hope everything works out for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Matt, NCMA in Layton, Utah

28 months ago

shanise in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I am so glad to hear that Im not ALONE IN THIS TERRIBLE SITUATION!!! it's interesting how medical assistants work in the capacity of a nurse at times. however we're never compensated only used and abused!!!! I believe that medical assistants need to band togehter and find a way that we can bridge
over to nursing. since we have the experience without the pay for our hard work and quality job performances!!!! Its a sheer disgrace. it's not a living wage since the increase is 3 to 5% at times!

Hi there, You're not Nurses, and you cannot compare yourself to one. You went to school become a MA . You should be thankful you have a job in these tough times.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

28 months ago

MOUNTAINLASSY in East Liverpool, Ohio said: HI. NO WE DON'T GET PAID LIKE WE SHOULD. i TRIED TO BRING IN A UNION TO HELP WITH THE MANY ISSUES IN A NURSING HOME. THEY MADE IT SO UNBEARBLE TO WORK THERE THE ONES THAT WERE FOR IT LEFT FOR OTHER PLACES THAT PAID A LITTLE BETTER.tHE FACT OF THE MATTER IS WE ARE CHEEP LABOR AND THEY WORK US TO DEATH.

A Medical Assistant(MA) career is a good start, a stepping stone if you will, into more lucrative professions with continued education. If your wish is to earn more income, going back to school is the solution. Just be aware that our current job market is extremely challenging. Jobs are few and competition is intense. During our economic crisis, employers are taking full advantage of their staff and using all of them to their maximum capabilities and scope of practice. As Health Care Professionals, Nurses'(RN, LVN/LPN), Respiratory Therapists'(RT), Medical Assistants'(MA), etc. daily tasks will overlap. Although MAs perform some of the same tasks as Nurses, they cannot perform procedures requiring a Licensed Professional, nor do they receive the same education taught specifically within a Nursing or Respiratory Therapy program curriculum. I do not understand why MAs continue cmparing themselves with Nurses. They are not Nurses, therefore their income will not be the same as Nurses or RTs for that matter. You are comparing apples with oranges. They're not the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Matt, NCMA in Layton, Utah

28 months ago

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: A Medical Assistant(MA) career is a good start, a stepping stone if you will, into more lucrative professions with continued education. If your wish is to earn more income, going back to school is the solution. Just be aware that our current job market is extremely challenging. Jobs are few and competition is intense. During our economic crisis, employers are taking full advantage of their staff and using all of them to their maximum capabilities and scope of practice. As Health Care Professionals, Nurses'(RN, LVN/LPN), Respiratory Therapists'(RT), Medical Assistants'(MA), etc. daily tasks will overlap. Although MAs perform some of the same tasks as Nurses, they cannot perform procedures requiring a Licensed Professional, nor do they receive the same education taught specifically within a Nursing or Respiratory Therapy program curriculum. I do not understand why MAs continue cmparing themselves with Nurses. They are not Nurses, therefore their income will not be the same as Nurses or RTs for that matter. You are comparing apples with oranges. They're not the same.

Hi there, I agree with you all the way. I wish Doctors would not call their MA's Nurses, for they are not Nurses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

28 months ago

Matt, NCMA in Layton, Utah said: Hi there, I agree with you all the way. I wish Doctors would not call their MA's Nurses, for they are not Nurses.

Hi Matt, how are you?. Hope you and your family are doing well. I can't complain. I like what I do as a Respiratory Therapist. This coming April, I will celebrate my 12th year with my employer at an Anniversary Luncheon. It's hard to believe I have been working in the field 15 years!. You and I are fortunate to be in professions we enjoy. Life is good, Matt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

28 months ago

Matt, NCMA in Layton, Utah said: Hi there, I agree with you all the way. I wish Doctors would not call their MA's Nurses, for they are not Nurses.

Hi Matt, how are you?. Hope you and your family are doing well. I can't complain. I like what I do as a Respiratory Therapist. This coming April, I will celebrate my 12th year with my employer at an Anniversary Luncheon. It's hard to believe I have been working in the field 15 years!. You and I are fortunate to be in professions we enjoy. Life is good, Matt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

28 months ago

Matt, NCMA in Layton, Utah said: Hi there, I agree with you all the way. I wish Doctors would not call their MA's Nurses, for they are not Nurses.

Hi Matt, how are you?. Hope you and your family are doing well. I can't complain. I like what I do as a Respiratory Therapist. This coming April, I will celebrate my 12th year with my employer at an Anniversary Luncheon. It's hard to believe I have been working in the field 15 years!. You and I are fortunate to be in professions we enjoy. Life is good, Matt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Matt, NCMA

28 months ago

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: Hi Matt, how are you?. Hope you and your family are doing well. I can't complain. I like what I do as a Respiratory Therapist. This coming April, I will celebrate my 12th year with my employer at an Anniversary Luncheon. It's hard to believe I have been working in the field 15 years!. You and I are fortunate to be in professions we enjoy. Life is good, Matt.

Hi Rolinda, Yeah I'm coming up on my 28 year mark here in August this year. I'm going to keep on going till I can't do it no more. I miss talking to you take care. Life is good, I'm glad I got the Lord on my side. Without him none of this would be possible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

28 months ago

Matt, NCMA said: Hi Rolinda, Yeah I'm coming up on my 28 year mark here in August this year. I'm going to keep on going till I can't do it no more. I miss talking to you take care. Life is good, I'm glad I got the Lord on my side. Without him none of this would be possible.

Hi Matt, Congratulations on your up coming 28th year Anniversary!. I can't believe how fast the years are flying by. Continue your good work. I miss you too, Matt and I agree whole heartedly, Only with him are all things possible. We'll keep in touch.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Matt NCMA in Layton, Utah

28 months ago

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: Hi Matt, Congratulations on your up coming 28th year Anniversary!. I can't believe how fast the years are flying by. Continue your good work. I miss you too, Matt and I agree whole heartedly, Only with him are all things possible. We'll keep in touch.

Hi Rolinda, Thank you very much. I hope all is well with you. Take care and God bless...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Matt NCMA in Layton, Utah

28 months ago

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: Hi Matt, Congratulations on your up coming 28th year Anniversary!. I can't believe how fast the years are flying by. Continue your good work. I miss you too, Matt and I agree whole heartedly, Only with him are all things possible. We'll keep in touch.

Hi Rolinda, Thank you very much and the same to you on your 15 years as well. Take care and God bless...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

msLatrice in Rialto, California

27 months ago

i am a medical student @ UEI and this will be my last mod for april, they supposed to guarateed a job placement for me...but i have to do my externship @ any hospitals well depends if they need any assistants. but now in 2012 they not lookin for any degrees or how many years they goin by the experiences now. but im thinkin bout goin to the navy for medical assistant and help over sea. but i dont want to leave my mother behind...what shall i do? cause this a excellent opportunity for me and my family.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Matt, NCMA in Layton, Utah

27 months ago

msLatrice in Rialto, California said: i am a medical student @ UEI and this will be my last mod for april, they supposed to guarateed a job placement for me...but i have to do my externship @ any hospitals well depends if they need any assistants. but now in 2012 they not lookin for any degrees or how many years they goin by the experiences now. but im thinkin bout goin to the navy for medical assistant and help over sea. but i dont want to leave my mother behind...what shall i do? cause this a excellent opportunity for me and my family.

Hi there, First of all your grammar could some improvement and I think all young should do some time in the Military. It will you to build character, and help you to gain some valuable skills. Hell you'll might make career out of it. Good luck...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Matt, NCMA in Ogden, Utah

27 months ago

Kingranch in San Antonio, Texas said: thanks for the reply, but i dont need to be professional with my grammar on here this site jus for people who lookin for answer and opinion on medical assistant and etc... but thank you for your opinion.....god bless,
latrice,Matt should have said this, but apparently he's too kind to help you see where your real problem is. So Let me get this straight, your in public(You can't get anymore public than the worldwide internet), your seeking free advice from experienced medical professionals, but you DON'T think you need to convince them your not a hopeless moron that could never make it in their professional world in the first place and therefor unworthy of their time? By all means, join the navy, they arent about to let you respond to helpful criticism from those above you the way you just did Matt. And YES Matt or any experienced professional capable of giving you good advice, IS above you at this point. And if you don't change your attitude about improving your communication skills they always will be.

Good morning, I wanted to thank you for the kind words. I was just trying to help this young person about her grammar skills. Even on a web site such as this one, a person should try to be professional as much as possible. I've noticed that I make mistakes quite a few times. I know I can always do better. I hope your day is a good one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

27 months ago

Matt, NCMA in Ogden, Utah said: Good morning, I wanted to thank you for the kind words. I was just trying to help this young person about her grammar skills. Even on a web site such as this one, a person should try to be professional as much as possible. I've noticed that I make mistakes quite a few times. I know I can always do better. I hope your day is a good one.

Hi Matt, I want you to know, I appreciate your kind demeanor and professionalism. Your advice is sound. I agree with you, there is always room for improvement. Whether it be on a forum or on the job, good/bad spelling and grammar matters. It reflects on the individual and is scrutinized not only by our peers, but most importantly, by employers. Kingranch is right. An open mind helps us grow. Not one person knows absolutely everything. I am continuously learning from Physicians, peers and especially, my patients. They have helped me become a better Respiratory Therapist. As Healthcare Professionals we are here to learn from one another and provide the best care for our patients. Thank you everyone for all that you do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jack Of All in Columbus, Ohio

27 months ago

I've read all your posts and you all have valid points, however, you must understand that the healthcare field is changing and with current law going into effect in the next few years it going to keep changing. Fortunately, this is good for Medical Assistants. Our pay is likely to go up with the coming changes, and the length and type of education needed to become a medical assistant is rising too. According to medical professionals on a local medical board, Medical assisting is currently being graduated up to Nurse Assistants which are soon to be phased out. Bottomline here, yes we get paid crap, yes we deserve more, but until you stop taking that $8-10/hr job they will keep paying us less than a mcdonalds employee until the government steps in and says that enough! So if you are a person likes less government intervention, do something about it and stop accepting low paying MA jobs, and if you are a person who like government intervention, you should be in luck too by 2014 with ObamaCare!

Disclaimer: As for all other posts on here the stuff I said that is not quoted from someone else is my opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Hilary Kaehler in San Diego, California

17 months ago

I have been an MA for 7 years and worked kmyself up to 15.50 at Scripps in San Diego. I have been very frustrated that they pay the administrative staff more without a year of specialized training. I am completely at my witts end about what to do I wish I could have a national MA strike. We are completely use and abused. How do you bring in a union?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Matt NCMA in Layton, Utah

17 months ago

Hilary Kaehler in San Diego, California said: I have been an MA for 7 years and worked kmyself up to 15.50 at Scripps in San Diego. I have been very frustrated that they pay the administrative staff more without a year of specialized training. I am completely at my witts end about what to do I wish I could have a national MA strike. We are completely use and abused. How do you bring in a union?

Hi there, Unions are not the answer. Our job market is a tough one right now. You're right nobody deserves to treated like that. The wage you get now is a good one. I wish I was working. I was laid off die to government budget cuts. I don't give up though, I keep on going. Good luck to you in your job search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.