MTI or Heald (N. Cali)

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

NatashaKu in Sacramento, California

41 months ago

I am interested in Medical Coding and Billing. I am completely new to the health field and have no idea where to start! I am just wondering if anybody has attended Heald or MTI College in Northern California (Sacramento)? Do the schools offer certification? Job placement? Are their programs even accredited? When you graduated, were you able to find a job quickly? I would love to know more information from people who have actually attended those schools, not from the salespeople at the colleges who are just trying to make me sign up.
Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

valentine2 in Salt Lake City, Utah

41 months ago

NatashaKu in Sacramento, California said: I am interested in Medical Coding and Billing. I am completely new to the health field and have no idea where to start! I am just wondering if anybody has attended Heald or MTI College in Northern California (Sacramento)? Do the schools offer certification? Job placement? Are their programs even accredited? When you graduated, were you able to find a job quickly? I would love to know more information from people who have actually attended those schools, not from the salespeople at the colleges who are just trying to make me sign up.
Thanks!

I am not familiar with this particular program, but I would suggest you attend your local community or technical school. Most private for profit schools charge WAY, WAY too much.

Despite what schools tell you initially, there is no such thing as job placement. Most schools can barely find intern/extern sites, much less actual jobs for their students.

They may offer "job assistance" which involves them telling you to look at job sites and newspaper ads and put in an application or resume. That is it. So do not chose a school based off their promise, you will be very disappointed.

Your school does not need to be accredited in order for you to sit for a certification test or to be hired, but some employers do prefer an AHIMA approved program.

www.ahima.org/careers/college_search/search.aspx

you can look up ahima approved schools in your area.

Most new grads run into the problem of employers wanting credentialed and experienced coders. So the best advice is to try to get your foot in, any way possible. Take entry level jobs in billing, account follow up, medical records or even front desk. Gain much needed medical experience and network.

Most hospitals prefer to hire from within, so if you are already working in HIM and a coding job because available, this should give you an advantage.

Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.