New Entry level medical biller

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 195)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Kayla in Yonkers, New York

68 months ago

How can I find an entry level medical biller position?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (584) / No (70) Reply - Report abuse

em in Roslyn Heights, New York

67 months ago

Hi!
What is the avg salary for a medical biller?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (166) / No (33) Reply - Report abuse

Dearevette0@gmail.com in Decatur, Georgia

64 months ago

I just finished going to school for medicl billing and coding and I can't find a job. This is really crazy I know they need us it's just hard to get. I have plenty experience in the office setting and still no luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Jodee in Portland, Oregon

63 months ago

I've been looking for entry level medical billing/coding since June of 2007. I've tried temp agencies also as well as the career services at my school (Everest College) Although I graduated with a 4.0 GPA, I have no practical experience and no one will hire me. They all want 1 - 5 years experieince. Waste of money if you ask me, I am really discouraged.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (91) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Kyle, Texas

63 months ago

Yes, I totally agree with you. My sister is very lucky! She lives/works in Oklahoma City and she has been a biller for 9 years and she had NO schooling what-so-ever!!!! I feel sick that I have wasted my time and $$$ on billing school. Good luck to you. I am now thinking about going back to school for Ultrasonography or something else. GEE...I wonder if I need experience..... lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mel in El Paso, Texas

63 months ago

Kat in Kyle, Texas said: Yes, I totally agree with you. My sister is very lucky! She lives/works in Oklahoma City and she has been a biller for 9 years and she had NO schooling what-so-ever!!!! I feel sick that I have wasted my time and $$$ on billing school. Good luck to you. I am now thinking about going back to school for Ultrasonography or something else. GEE...I wonder if I need experience..... lol

you dont want to do the ultrasound tech either. I graduated march 07 a 4.0 also with an externship in medical billing and nothing. i haven't yet found anything. i have tons of office experience and nothing. i went into the forums on here and they are the same as billing. dont waste your time and money again. do some research on here and then choose a career path from that. I am now going through AIU and doing online classes for criminal justice and my concentration is forensic science. i am gathering the info i need to become a forensics scientist. i'm getting certifications i need and everything i've done so much research and the jobs for this are going to be so much easier to get into than the medical field of any sort. good luck to you and just search before making a decision. I totally understand what you woman are going through i have been there and done that and trying not to repeat what i went through.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Munroe in Providence, Rhode Island

63 months ago

mel in El Paso, Texas said: you dont want to do the ultrasound tech either. I graduated march 07 a 4.0 also with an externship in medical billing and nothing. i haven't yet found anything. i have tons of office experience and nothing. i went into the forums on here and they are the same as billing. dont waste your time and money again. do some research on here and then choose a career path from that. I am now going through AIU and doing online classes for criminal justice and my concentration is forensic science. i am gathering the info i need to become a forensics scientist. i'm getting certifications i need and everything i've done so much research and the jobs for this are going to be so much easier to get into than the medical field of any sort. good luck to you and just search before making a decision. I totally understand what you woman are going through i have been there and done that and trying not to repeat what i went through.

Wow that sounds good but for me I need something that is not too time consuming---I am going to try medical assistant---there are some inexpensive and short courses for that. I am 50 years old so I have no desire to go to a long term school. I did the billing thing, wish I had researched it first, absolutely nothing entry level. I am volunteering at a local hospital to get experience and I love it---wish I was getting paid though....LOL!! Good luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jorey in Vancouver, Washington

63 months ago

I am 52, and have been looking for 2 years. What else can I do where I can be seated at least 80% of the time? I have a foot that was severely broken, is fused and have trouble walking/standing. Any suggestions??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

mel in El Paso, Texas

63 months ago

yeah try criminal justice and looking for like sit down clerical jobs. you'll have a good variety. just do some research on the jobs and do some networking and go from there. yeah i havent found anything in billing either. but i am doing the criminal justice trying to find a different approach. so if you can look into something like that for the clerical aspects i would def. try. good luck with that and pursuing into a career. sorry about the foot.

Kat in Kyle, Texas

63 months ago

speaking of Medical Assistant........my sister-in-law just graduated and she is having a hard time getting a job. People want...oh-no..it's that word again..."EXPERIENCE" Geez!!!! Another lady I ran into at a job fair said she has M.A. experience, but not enough. They want at least 5 years. OMG! It's rough! I have thought about doing Criminal Justice. I was an In School Suspension Monitor for 4 years at a rough H.S. and it really changed my life. I'm good in that field so maybe I should consider it too. hmmm we will see.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jorey in Vancouver, Washington

63 months ago

Are you going for an associates? or just getting certain classes..what would be the fastest route? I may end up having to rent out my house and live with my folks for awhile to acccomplish this ...as much as I hate the idea..but I gotta do what I gotta do. I never thought my education in med billing wouldn't pan out and I'd be in this situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mel in El Paso, Texas

63 months ago

not sure if you were addressing me or what not, but i am getting my associates, but i'm going on with my bach. in forensic science. i want to become a forensic scientist. so i am starting here at this level and will work my way up. i am going to get my masters in forensic biology also to help with this venture. i'm also going to take the ABC test for an area of specialty for dealing more with like DNA and hair and fiber trace analysis. yeah i didnt expect my med. billing to not pan out either. i'm still 2 years later paying for expenisve loans. i graduated 2nd in my class with a 4.0 and i have a hard time that cause i didnt have experience that i am having a time, but that is why i am trying this approach. good luck to you!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

alejandra hernandez in wilmington, California

63 months ago

i' searching for some feed back on how to get experience to get a job as my new profession as medical biller,coder.i'm hard worker,i love to multi-task,proof read,the more i can learn the better. most jobs are asking for more than 1year of experience,willing to learn step by step.would like to know how can approach the hospitals or clinics working for them a few hours a day as training.my goal is to start my own medical billing business at home.

alejandra hernandez in Wilmington, California

63 months ago

i recvd your e-mail,no i didnt got on-line for medical billing or coding.i attended los angeles harbor college in the city of wilmington,ca.90744.paid $1500.00 for 6mnths for 1 saturday per week, included medical billing,coding,medical terminology,hospital billing.icd-9 coding.computer software billing. What is the cost of the course.I don't have a job.What would your suggest.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jorey in Vancouver, WA in Salem, Oregon

63 months ago

alejandra hernandez in wilmington, California said: i' searching for some feed back on how to get experience to get a job as my new profession as medical biller,coder.i'm hard worker,i love to multi-task,proof read,the more i can learn the better. most jobs are asking for more than 1year of experience,willing to learn step by step.would like to know how can approach the hospitals or clinics working for them a few hours a day as training.my goal is to start my own medical billing business at home.

go to your local hospital and volunteer. the market is flooded and there are few jobs and you are right, they ALL want 1 - 3 yrs exp with certification

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Kyle, Texas

63 months ago

Might I suggest volunteering at a local physicians/hospital. I do not have time to volunteer because of my hours. I work 2nd shift in Medical Records and August of this year will be one year I have been working there and it will be 1 year and 3 months experience with that. However, I do NOT want a career in that!!! I have met many coder/billers who have had no luck what-so-ever finding a job that doesn't require experience. I have pretty much given up on billing. I will go back to school and do something else. Maybe a CNA or something related to Patient Care. Those are always in high demand in hospitals and nursing homes. Good luck to you! : )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

alejandra hernandez in Los Angeles, California

63 months ago

thank you for the experience feedback.I have other options in mind as well,good luck to you to. how did you would you approach the business for training.

ShayM in Atlanta, Georgia

63 months ago

Jodee in Portland, Oregon said: I've been looking for entry level medical billing/coding since June of 2007. I've tried temp agencies also as well as the career services at my school (Everest College) Although I graduated with a 4.0 GPA, I have no practical experience and no one will hire me. They all want 1 - 5 years experieince. Waste of money if you ask me, I am really discouraged.

You're not the only one. I went to Everest here in Atlanta and I graduated in 2007. No luck find a job and the career services center sucks. I really feel scammed by this school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

cindy in Bristol, Connecticut

62 months ago

ShayM in Atlanta, Georgia said: You're not the only one. I went to Everest here in Atlanta and I graduated in 2007. No luck find a job and the career services center sucks. I really feel scammed by this school.

I went through US career institute and felt really scamed by them too. I did the course almost 4 years ago. Never could find a billing job and have been in health care for ten years.

jmac in Riverdale, Georgia

62 months ago

For all that are seeking employment in the medical field when fresh out of school, try to sell yourself as a claims follow up clerk. Most physician have aged claims that need to be followed up on and current claims need the same. Sell yourself as one that can increase the practice's revenue by working claims to make sure they are received and what phase of payment processing they are in. In this way, you can prove yourself as an asset to the practice. If you do a good enough job, the practice will find that you are a valuable asset and need your services.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

shavan in Dubai, United Arab Emirates

62 months ago

Hi im looking for medical billing at home in Dubai. shavan1021@yahoo.com

Debra2009 in Jeromesville, Ohio

62 months ago

em in Roslyn Heights, New York said: Hi!
What is the avg salary for a medical biller?

The average salary for medical billers in Ohio ranges from $12.00-$16.00 an hour

Debra2009 in Jeromesville, Ohio

62 months ago

The average rate for medical billers in Ohio is $12.00-$16.00 an hours, depending on your geological location.

G Thangam in Madras, India

62 months ago

I want typing entry level easy typing you will coopereate for me I very sincere work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

specialk236 in Pensacola, Florida

62 months ago

Looking for entry level billing and coding position. Will be taking the certification test August 22, 2008

Michael Career Training in San Pedro, California

62 months ago

alejandra hernandez in Los Angeles, California said: thank you for the experience feedback.I have other options in mind as well,good luck to you to. how did you would you approach the business for training.

We are a school that offers certification (CCS) training here in Los Angeles. mike@sticcc.com for more info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Michael Career Training in San Pedro, California said: We are a school that offers certification (CCS) training here in Los Angeles. mike@sticcc.com for more info.

Don't do it people!!!! Total waste of money/scam!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michael Career Training in San Pedro, California

62 months ago

Munroe.

We offer the AHIMA CCS Certification Review. YOU must of had a bad experience my friend but we are not the ones. CHECK out my previous posts.

Michelle Rimmer in Brick, New Jersey

62 months ago

Munroe,

Why are you telling people that medical billing and coding is a scam and a waste of $$$??
I have taught medical billing and coding classes for almost 6 years now at 3 colleges in New Jersey and online classes for my own online training site, and I beg to differ. Yes, I understand the frustrations of trying to land that first medical billing or coding job, beleive me, I do. Did you get Certified after your courses? Do you have your CPC or CCS credential?

Entry level medical billing positions most certainly DO EXIST--my students get these jobs! Yes, they may pay lower than the job for the experienced biller, but once you prove yourself, most employers will see your work and you are given a raise, or possibly a promotion. Many, and I mean many of my students from all 3 schools have landed medical billing and coding positions. Those who did not have the patience, well, they gave up---went back to their old jobs or possibly a different field. Many took the offer to start as a receptionist or in medical records,and have since been cross-trained to do the billing in the office.

If your goal is to become a medical biller, and you are finding it hard to land this position in your local area, then do what you need to do to get your foot in the door; unit secretary of a hospital, admissions rep, medical records clerk, etc.......

Do NOT give up the dream, if it is your true dream :)

Good Luck!

Michelle Rimmer, CHI, CPMB
President-Professional Medical Billers Association, LLC
www.pmbausa.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

GThangam in Madras, India

62 months ago

Kayla in Yonkers, New York said: How can I find an entry level medical biller position?

I will join the entry level work please job please confirm that/ I will making more money confirm secutrity please help me I will join the work
Thanking you
Gthangam

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

I will join the entry level work please job please confirm that/ I will making more money confirm secutrity please help me I will join the work
Thanking you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Madalina Ionica in Zion, Illinois

62 months ago

Dear Michelle Rimmer,

My name is Madalina Ionica and I did get a AS in Medical Billing and Coding, however I do not have experience at all. I have been working in retail services as a supervisor and that's the experience I have. What certification should I get in order to be more "appealable" to possible employers? I have heard about that HIMA but I don't know what shoud I do. I have a new baby and that was the reason for not looking for a job right away, but I am thinking about starting around September 1 and I started to look around to see what are the chances of finding a medical biller and coder job and I have to admit that I am kind of dissapointed reaeding all these comments. I live in Illinois. Thank you!

62 months ago

Hi Madalina,

If you are looking for CODING certification, you can get your CPC through AAPC or the CCS through AHIMA.

If you are looking for BILLING certification, my association, the Professional Medical Billers Association offers the CPMB(Certified Professional Medical Biller) exam/credential.

Don't be disappointed by the posts! Keep a positive attitude and don't give up!

President-PMBA
www.pmbausa.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Hi Michelle,

Thank you so much for the answer. I was looking into the CCS from AHIMA, but honestly I do not know from where to start. The AHIMA says that those with experience, in coding, of three or more years are more likely to pass the exam. I wouldn't have any chance since I have no experience. I have heard from other people that once you start working in a medical setting after a year you should go for the CCS or CPC.

I really hope I made a smart decision going for Medical Billing and Coding because I have "deeped" myself in debt more than ever. I owe $14,000 in student loans. I keep saying to myself that I do have a plus being trilingual, but this doesn't garantee me anything. From where do you think I should start? Going into a hospital and investigate around, or looking for jobs on the Internet? My OB/GYN is very nice and open with me. Should I tell him about my situation, just in case he knows someone that hires? I have sent a message to my school, but they did not respond back. Last time I heard from the person in charge with graduate placement was in March of 2009. Should I relay on them or I should just go ahead and look for what it is out there? I am extremely confused, and I do take into consideration starting from a lower position, but in this case why did I spend so much money getting a AS in Medical Billing and Coding? I quit my supervisory job at $13/hour just to start below again? See? I am confused..... Thank you again for your time.

62 months ago

I will send you a list with the courses I took. Everything is theory!!! And yes, I did "work" with UB-04, but again, only theory. Your family lives in Illinois? Nice! I used to live in Burlington, NJ,a couple of years ago. :)

62 months ago

Michelle,

Here comes the list:

General Psychology GE223
Critical Thinking and Problem Solving GE114
Computer Applications CA216
Healthcare Delivery & Insurance Management MB111
Healthcare Reimbursement & Legal Issues MB112
Professional Coding Practice MB113
Intro to Humanities GE160
Medical Records & Documentation MB115
Medical Offcie Procedures MB116
Professional Development PD115
Health Information Technology MB117
Medical Billing and Coding MB118
Verbal and Written Communication GE141
Human Biology GE233
Algebra GE249

I had A for all these classes and a GPA 4.0. Hopefully I will find something...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

I will send the mail I will conduct mail/Iwill join the work please
work avaliblity arrange them my work.Thanking you

61 months ago

Yea right ---just what a billing company wants---a volunteer with no experience doing their billing! LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Well, you are right but not 100%. If you volunteer, the company has nothing to lose because it is not going to be you that sends the claims. You are just going to watch and ask tons of questions, and if the people are nice enough they are going to guide you through the process. Then you can ask them to let you "work" under their supervision and there you go. I would love to be able to volunteer, but God, I have a new baby boy, plus a 3 year old girl and I really need a job from where I can bring money home. If I can not find that job, at least I can spend time with my kids.

Rebecca in Madison Heights, Michigan

61 months ago

Madalina, I did the actual claims, and transmit the clms. it take me 6 months to know everything from start to finish, believe me its not easy. Being a medical biller is a continued learning there are always new policy by any insurance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Woodbridge, Virginia

61 months ago

Kayla in Yonkers, New York said: How can I find an entry level medical biller position?

we'll you can start by taking advatage of your resources as indeed.com. If you don't get the results you desire than you can always visit my site for resume posting services. Please conatct me for for further details. Jdickson.owner@postingassistant.com

Cheryl in Lakewood, New Jersey

61 months ago

alejandra hernandez in wilmington, California said: i' searching for some feed back on how to get experience to get a job as my new profession as medical biller,coder.i'm hard worker,i love to multi-task,proof read,the more i can learn the better. most jobs are asking for more than 1year of experience,willing to learn step by step.would like to know how can approach the hospitals or clinics working for them a few hours a day as training.my goal is to start my own medical billing business at home.

Hello - I have several years experience as a medical billing director and manager in both hospitals and physician offices. I would like to offer the following advice: When interviewing with the hiring manager, it is very important first and foremost to be dressed professionally. Remember, you will be working with professionals - doctors, nurses, administrators, and they do command respect and the ability to speak well and communicate effectively. Secondly, most employers have a 90-day probationary period. This gives the employer the chance to determine if you are doing a good job, and for you to determine if you like the work and want to work for the employer. Use this 90-day period to your advantage. In the interview, ask the hiring manager if a "mentor" will be provided to work along with you to train in the office procedures (every office operates differently. This mentor or trainer can then report to the office manager on your abilities, and hopefully, on how quickly you learn! If the employer has a computer software program for billing, let the hiring manager know that you are aware that there are many different billing programs. Is a IT person available to give you one-on-one training for the software alone? These questions alone will let the hiring employer know that even if you lack experience, you are motivated and quick to learn.
Please let me know if you get an interview and suggestions work positively for you. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Savanahs in Chicago, Illinois

61 months ago

I have finished course as the Medical Billing and Coding Specialist, have 2 Masters degrees, Medical Assistant training, good experience and fluent in 2 languages, and can’t find the job, because the experience from other country isn’t transferable. It seemed that the person who can count to ten with High school diploma or equivalent is in better position than I. Very frustrating. Do the employers need the person who is willing and can do everything in the medical office?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Woodbridge, Virginia

61 months ago

In the job market there is someone who will hire you, you just have to promote your resume better. If you need help in doing this either visit my site at postingassistant.com or email me at Jdickson.owner@postingassistant.com.

stephanie028 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

61 months ago

EPBS ( emergency physicians billing services) and
CMBS ( comphrensive medical billing services)
are two companies that do alot of entry level hiring.

janetjbranson in Concord, California

60 months ago

I can not seem to get a job in the Medical billing field, I went to High-Tech Institute for Medical Assistant and Medical Billing and Coding. The school told me that they had job placement but they only faxed resume out for me when i call them i have been trying to get a job on my own becaused they have no contacts in my area. Now my student loans are wanting money and i can not pay them. What do I do?

60 months ago

Hello Janet,

I understand your frustration because I am on the same situation. I, too, graduated for Medical Billing and Coding, and I can not get a job. I went to the local hospitals, also clinics, and left my resume with them, and I only got a phone call aking me if I have any kind of experience in coding and billing, and of course that I said that the only experience I have is from school, and that was the end of story. I even let them know that I would do anything, even registering patients. So far....no luck! A couple of days ago I filled an application over the internet, where I offered myself as volunteer in the Medical Billing and Coding Department. No one ever called me back. I have loans as well, and I started paying back since July and I do not have a job. I have seen myself in the situation of applying to my old job, in retail services, as a supervisor, and I am waiting for an answer. I really need a job, because my husband, alone, can no longer make it. It is a very frustrating situation.....hang in there, you are not alone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michael Career Training in Los Angeles, California

60 months ago

Get a deferment on your student loans so you dont go into default.
Many jobs that you apply for online ask for additional information besides whats on your resume. This is why you need to be pro-active an extensively involved in your job search. Job placement can only inform you of openings and guide you to the extent of their ability. They cannot take online tests or fill out information on your behalf.

Ricci in Apopka, Florida

59 months ago

Yeah, High-Tech Institute is a BIG WASTE OF TIME!! Been out of school for over a year now.. I was Valedictorian of my Medical Billing and Coding Program, no luck with a job!

59 months ago

Ricci,

Try and hang in there! I understand it is tough to get a job nowadays-but you may need to consider, if you haven't already, taking an entry level job as a medical receptionist, medical records filer, etc just to get your foot in the door! Is your resume getting noticed?! Are you getting calls from your resume?

President-Professional Medical Billers Association
[Contact information has been removed by a forum moderator]

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.