What should I get paid? Medical claims collection

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Ladybly in Fishkill, New York

67 months ago

I got a job in the last month. Calling for a DME that also owns 15 sleep labs-to insurance companies(29 of them they deal with) to find out why the claims are being paid. I spend 7 1/2 hours on the phone daily. I also have to re-fax claims, re-submit them, send out timely filing, LMN letters, referrals that aren't on files as well as authorizations. I get paid 10 hour for this. I was told since I was entry level-this is what the pay was. Well, I HAVE done this in the past when I worked for both a ophthalmologist as well as a physical therapy office. I feel like I am getting the short end of the shaft. I have my CBCS-not the one everyone wants-but at least that schooling was paid for by me.

I am drowning being paid so little. $688 after taxes every two weeks-it's not enough to keep my families bills paid-I can't pay them all and falling further behind. I was sent into this again by shattering my ankle and couldn't qualify to keep my former job-I drove a school bus. How much should I be paid for a job like this. I am losing sleep over the threat that if I don't bring them in money due them by the 6 month mark-I am fired. I've never been fired from anywhere because I've always done a good job. This guy that's the owners swears like a sailor at his employees, threatens them with firing constantly. I can't live like this for much more. So much for having that AAS degree-I make less than I did as a 21 year old without the degree. Help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

valentine2 in salt lake city, Utah

67 months ago

$10 an hour does seem a little low for your job description, I would think $12-$13 would be more like it, but varies on a lot of things. You can try to talk to your manager and explain your past experience and schooling and see if they will give you a raise, or you can try to look for another job that will pay better.

yeah too bad about your certification, most employers don't recognize a CBCS.

67 months ago

They told me that at 6 months it would be either fired or maybe a pay raise. Lots of incentive there to do your best. I made more driving that school bus-$18.63hr. I am stuck in a nowhere job and don't even have the benefits or retirement I had. All because I broke my ankle in 3 places and dislocated it. I have a degree in hospitality and tourism management-business. Yet at 45 years old-I am being told I am entry level-everywhere I apply. No one sees job skills you've gotten over the years you don't forget and you can apply in other positions. Even showing that I've continued to expand my knowledge as an adult-I was 35 when I got my degree-hasn't help one iota.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Most coders (including myself) started out the same way and worked our way up. You can do the same. Learn all you can, offer to learn other peoples jobs, do all you can to gain experience and leverage it for a better job.

I started at front desk, volunteered to help out the billing dept, learned all that I could (all the while they thought they were taking advantage of my free work) and after awhile, I knew enough to get a data entry job, which I took, and did the same thing, learned all I could til I could leverage for a coding job.

While it seems like you are on a road to nowhere, you ultimately decide where you end up going and attitude goes a long way

67 months ago

I've talked to some of the people I work with there. Most are between 19-24. There are just 4 others who are older than me. I am the only one there in my mid-40's. The majority of them haven't been with this place longer than 4 years. There's never any advancement-what you get hired to do-that's it. I have a good attitude at work-let's face it my job is on the phone the entire time and I don't speak to a soul. The issue I have is that the two brothers that own this place-think NOTHING of full out screaming in your face with obscenity laced rants about how poor people do their jobs. I've told my husband if this guy does this to me-I am outta there. I won't be verbally abused for any of amount of money. I am dreading him coming in today-they live almost two hours from where they own their business and come in only a couple of days a week. What I see in the job I am doing-the girl(she's 23) doesn't follow through on her job. There is no reason there are still outstanding non paid claims since Jan last year. And there were two of them doing this job-no excuse in my book-just poor work ethics.

Where I live in NY-average salary to have just a 1 bedroom rental is $65k. How can I survive on 10hr-and I own a house. I have to wonder why NYS VESID sent me into a program that isn't recognized by Dr's offices. I really need a job that has benefits, retirement and good pay. I feel like it was a huge mistake getting in this field.

Mannyfresh in Floyd, Virginia

67 months ago

Leave NY state ASAP! NY is not worth the hype. The living expenses up there are crazy.

67 months ago

We have been trying to leave NY for the last 11 years. Unfortunately I have a almost 87 year old parent that is housebound and health issues. She refuses to leave. So we are stuck here. I am that sandwich generation-I am 45, a close to 87 year old parent and my youngest is 12. I just want a job that actually pays bills-I did my time with low paying jobs before I was 21-this has gotten out of hand with how employers low balling everyone.

67 months ago

I am done offering advice to you, you seem to only want to complain about your situation instead of making it better. Yes, its frustrating that the economy is bad and unemployment is high, but it is what it is, you can't change what others do, only what you do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

There is no way to make better of it. Sat through a 2 hour witch session that the owner did the other day. Threatened to start firing people left and right or just out right shut the place down shortly. There is to be no raises, no bonuses-and they are going to make employees pay 33% more now for their health insurance-I don't get that for a year. I've never in my life worked for a company that thinks it's ok that the owner screams obscenities in your face. If I am complaining-it's warranted. I do my job-it's not like I've not done this line of work before. But I was asking about if I was getting what I should be getting paid. I am still looking for other work.

67 months ago

I guess I just don't understand why you don't get a billing job at another clinic? If you didn't have previous experience I would say try to tough it out until you can find another job, but you said you have experience, so finding another job shouldn't be hard.

And everyone's insurance is going up, I work for the government and my insurance is going up. Due to this new "fantastic" insurance idea of our president, small business owners (like your boss) are being hit the hardest.

67 months ago

After reading my last post, I realize I wasn't being very nice. I thought your original post was looking for help or a way to make more money, now that I know you were only wanting to vent your frustration, I will oblige.

Your boss is probably paying you too little, especially based off your skill and experience and it is frustrating being taken advantage of, especially when trying to support a family. He definitely should not scream at his employees and and definitely not obscenities.

Maybe he is stressed, as a small business owner, he is just trying to provide for himself and his family and is finding it increasingly difficult due to new laws and regulations and now this whole health care reform.

Mike in Los Angeles, California

67 months ago

Ladybly,

One of my previous students is a Credentialed LA Unified School Teacher. She was tired of being a teacher and wanted a career change. I told her, the profit potential is high in the Health Information Management Arena but you have to pay your dues. She actually took a $12.00 an hour pay cut until she got her first 18 months of work experience. During this time, she also obtained her CCS and CPC Certifications. Needless to say, its been 4 years and she is making much more money now than she would have if she had remained a teacher. She is making $39.50 and hour and Teaches Billing and Coding as a side job.

I hear your story all of the time Ladybly. The good thing is that you have this story to tell. It means your are moving forward. Your Coding Certifications need to be your next move. We are in Los Angeles so I cant help you there. There must be some AHIMA/AAPC Cert Programs in NY.

67 months ago

valentine2 in salt lake city, Utah said: I guess I just don't understand why you don't get a billing job at another clinic? If you didn't have previous experience I would say try to tough it out until you can find another job, but you said you have experience, so finding another job shouldn't be hard.

And everyone's insurance is going up, I work for the government and my insurance is going up. Due to this new "fantastic" insurance idea of our president, small business owners (like your boss) are being hit the hardest.

I am not working in medical office. It's for a durable medical goods/sleep lab outfit, respiratory therapy. They own over 19 sleeplabs in the Tri-state area. One part did over 17 million last year-so I'd say it's not a small outfit at all. I only do the collection side of one aspect-calling insurance companies to find out if they got the claims after our clearing house says it's in adjudication and other parts to it. I worked for a while in a dr's office and a physical therapy office. But it was back years ago-course as you age your brain cells die off and you don't retain information. It was a hard road to even get this job. But I am frustrated with the pay. Come to find out-only 2 of us have college degrees-the others in the office-GED or no High School diploma yet. I am biding my time to look for another job-and take the right certifications at the local college-loans here I come. VESID got me into this side of things for people with disabilities and I really wish I'd have physically been able to have done the radiology program instead. Sigh.

dlan1122 in Danbury, Connecticut

67 months ago

Ladybly in Fishkill, New York said: I am not working in medical office. It's for a durable medical goods/sleep lab outfit, respiratory therapy. They own over 19 sleeplabs in the Tri-state area. One part did over 17 million last year-so I'd say it's not a small outfit at all. I only do the collection side of one aspect-calling insurance companies to find out if they got the claims after our clearing house says it's in adjudication and other parts to it. I worked for a while in a dr's office and a physical therapy office. But it was back years ago-course as you age your brain cells die off and you don't retain information. It was a hard road to even get this job. But I am frustrated with the pay. Come to find out-only 2 of us have college degrees-the others in the office-GED or no High School diploma yet. I am biding my time to look for another job-and take the right certifications at the local college-loans here I come. VESID got me into this side of things for people with disabilities and I really wish I'd have physically been able to have done the radiology program instead. Sigh.

If you live in fishkill. Go under health quest.com to find a job in the hospital. I didn't read exactly what you do, but that might help.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.