Advice from RN medical coders

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (23)

beverly in Naples, Florida

35 months ago

Thanks for your responce...
Thought I could test out of the A&P, but the 40 questions asked are nothing an RN would use, let alone a coder when they basically would no so little anatomy and physiology. Although you are right, it would be simpler to train an RN with yesrs of experience, they are in it for the money to sell certificated needed for employment not use and train an already medically confidant RN. Guess coding is not for me. Better to find that out now. Will stay in nursing and massage as RN and LMt :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

starbuckscutie2003@yahoo.com in Woodbridge, Virginia

21 months ago

txinny in Jamestown, New York said: I am thinking of taking a medical coding course and have spent weeks reading various coding forums. The consensus of opinion is that even if you are certified, it is difficult to find work with no coding experience. I thought that being an RN would push me to the head of the line, but I spoke to an HR person at the local hospital today who told me that 3 yrs acute care coding experience is required and my 25 years of nursing experience doesn't matter (which I personally think is ridiculous) even if I take a course and get certified. Have any other RNs out there had any problems getting hired after becoming certified? I am mostly interested in remote coding. Thanks for any advice.
I am a RN, BSN with 32 years acute experience (several specialties) and also want to do remote coding. I have serious concerns about being able to get my first job. I plan to do the coding cert. course at Drexel U. in PA. Have you found a job yet?
Is there any advice you could pass along?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Laureen Jandroep in Pleasantville, New Jersey

21 months ago

Hi Starbuckscutie - I surprised someone told you the RN experience has no value. Auditing is a great job for nurses because of their clinical understanding they are particularly good at that. Don't let one place/person discourage you. Also look a large multi-specialty surgi centers vs. a hospital.

BTW I was involved with starting the coding program at Drexel U. Feel free to contact me through my website codingcertification.org

Best wishes!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Susan Wagener in Nazareth, Pennsylvania

17 months ago

Laureen Jandroep in Pleasantville, New Jersey said: Hi Starbuckscutie - I surprised someone told you the RN experience has no value. Auditing is a great job for nurses because of their clinical understanding they are particularly good at that. Don't let one place/person discourage you. Also look a large multi-specialty surgi centers vs. a hospital .

BTW I was involved with starting the coding program at Drexel U. Feel free to contact me through my website codingcertification.org

Best wishes!

I came across this forum while researching medical coding/analyst information as an RN. What is the BEST way to become an RN medical coder? I have 15 years experience as an RN and a BSN. I live in the Lehigh Valley and I am familiar with Drexel U. Didn't know they had a cert for medical coders!! Is this the best way to become certified? There are many certification programs out there. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tracie in Naples, Florida

14 months ago

Beverly Barnes in Naples, Florida said: Are there any RN medical billing and coding classes out there so after 40 years of nursing A & P would not have to be repeated??

rncoder-rnauditor.com/programfaqs.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

this is an awesome program that I have researched

rncoder-rnauditor.com/programfaqs.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Susan Wagener in Nazareth, Pennsylvania said: I came across this forum while researching medical coding/ analyst information as an RN. What is the BEST way to become an RN medical coder? I have 15 years experience as an RN and a BSN. I live in the Lehigh Valley and I am familiar with Drexel U. Didn't know they had a cert for medical coders!! Is this the best way to become certified? There are many certification programs out there. Thank you!

look here: rncoder-rnauditor.com/programfaqs.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

home health RN in Seal Beach, California

10 months ago

Does anyone know of a certificate program to become a CDIS/ICD-10 Coder in Orange County or LA County? I have used ICD-9 @ work but I'm not a coder. What is the best way to become one w/ credentials to obtain employment as a coder? I'm mostly interested in remote work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

Does anyone know of a certificate program to become a CDIS/ICD-10 Coder in Orange County or LA County in California? I have used ICD-9 @ work but I'm not a coder. What is the best way to become one w/ credentials to obtain employment as a coder? I'm mostly interested in remote work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MJATL in atlanta, Georgia

10 months ago

Below are a couple of websites where you can take these courses online (or the HCPRO you can search for a in-class choice of course in your local area). The second weblink would also be online but through AHIMA. Hope this helps! :)

www.hcpro.com/acdis/certification.cfm

www.ahima.org/certification/cdip

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

Thanks for the information.

John McCay in Mission Viejo, California

5 months ago

starbuckscutie2003@yahoo.com in Woodbridge, Virginia said: I am a RN, BSN with 32 years acute experience (several specialties) and also want to do remote coding. I have serious concerns about being able to get my first job. I plan to do the coding cert. course at Drexel U. in PA. Have you found a job yet?
Is there any advice you could pass along?

I am not sure where you are getting your information from but it is not entirely accurate. The reason you can't get into a hospital is because hospitals want you to have "coding experience" You have to start your coding career in a doctors office and become a good coder before a hospital will consider you. And if you are properly trained like I was at Allied Medical School for both ICD-9 & ICD-10 any doctors office will hire you. Medicalo Coding is the easiesat field to get into in health cazre right now with ICD-10 implemtation coming. Call me at Allied and I will give you the true facts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

5 months ago

beverly in Naples, Florida said: Thanks for your responce...
Thought I could test out of the A&P, but the 40 questions asked are nothing an RN would use, let alone a coder when they basically would no so little anatomy and physiology. Although you are right, it would be simpler to train an RN with yesrs of experience, they are in it for the money to sell certificated needed for employment not use and train an already medically confidant RN. Guess coding is not for me. Better to find that out now. Will stay in nursing and massage as RN and LMt :)

More inaccurate information. In Depth knowledge of A&P is a MUST for Medical Coders when ICD-10 is implemented. If you can't pass a 40 question A&P test then you need to take the course or you will never pass the CPC exam.

5 months ago

MJATL in atlanta, Georgia said: Below are a couple of websites where you can take these courses online (or the HCPRO you can search for a in-class choice of course in your local area). The second weblink would also be online but through AHIMA. Hope this helps! :)

www.hcpro.com/acdis/certification.cfm

www.ahima.org/certification/cdip

Here is the best training for Medical Coding www.medicalcodingcourses.com They offer a pass or don't pay money back promise for the CPC exam. Ask for John McCay

5 months ago

home health RN in Seal Beach, California said: Does anyone know of a certificate program to become a CDIS/ICD-10 Coder in Orange County or LA County in California? I have used ICD-9 @ work but I'm not a coder. What is the best way to become one w/ credentials to obtain employment as a coder? I'm mostly interested in remote work.

Contact Me John McCay at Allied Medical School in Laguna Hills. All on line and self paced. Plus we place you in a doctors officew when you are finished and CPC certified www.medicalcodingcourses.com

5 months ago

Tracie in Naples, Florida said: look here: rncoder-rnauditor.com/programfaqs.html

No! the bgest is Allied Medical School. www.medicalcodingcourses.com ask for me John McCay I already went through the program.

cricketsarge in Big Bear Lake, California

5 months ago

home health RN in Seal Beach, California said: Does anyone know of a certificate program to become a CDIS/ICD-10 Coder in Orange County or LA County? I have used ICD-9 @ work but I'm not a coder. What is the best way to become one w/ credentials to obtain employment as a coder? I'm mostly interested in remote work.

Go to Ahima.org They are the industry standard. They have coding classes that you can take through them, then you can sit for the CCA or CCS exam, which is given at places like Pearson vue testing centers all over the place.

The focus is on ICD-10-CM, however, this has been put on the back burner for awhile, and you need to take the ICD-10-CM courses right now. Which is good :)

Having a nursing background will help you. I am an RHIT and am starting to apply for remote coding positions, as I have been unemployed (by choice) for a year.

Have fun!
Cricket

cricketsarge in Big Bear Lake, California

5 months ago

I meant to say you need to take the ICD-9-CM courses right now! Sorry for the typo.

Cricket

Jmc in Downey, California

5 months ago

cricketsarge in Big Bear Lake, California said: I meant to say you need to take the ICD-9-CM courses right now! Sorry for the typo.

Cricket

Me and allied medical school will train you for both ICD-9 & ICD-10 cm all in one low coat program and place you in a facility in OC when your done call john Mccay www.medicalcodingcourses.com

Beppie in Seal Beach, California

5 months ago

home health RN in Seal Beach, California said: Thanks for the information.

Hi there! I also am an RN living in Seal Beach. I'd love to hear what school you went to for your certification. Were you able to find a remote job? What school did you end up going too? Any advice you have would be appreciated!!

Nicole Ardevela in Corona, California

5 months ago

Beppie in Seal Beach, California said: Hi there! I also am an RN living in Seal Beach. I'd love to hear what school you went to for your certification. Were you able to find a remote job? What school did you end up going too? Any advice you have would be appreciated!!

Hello Beppie. Check out Tri-County Allied Health School. We are located in Corona and have a 4 month program geared towards nurses and foreign medical graduates looking to get into medical coding. Visit us at www.tricountyallied.com

Jmc in Riverside, California

5 months ago

Allied medical school ask for John McCay.

plarson in Vancouver, Washington

4 months ago

cricketsarge in Big Bear Lake, California said: Go to Ahima.org They are the industry standard. They have coding classes that you can take through them, then you can sit for the CCA or CCS exam, which is given at places like Pearson vue testing centers all over the place.

The focus is on ICD-10-CM, however, this has been put on the back burner for awhile, and you need to take the ICD-10-CM courses right now. Which is good :)

Having a nursing background will help you. I am an RHIT and am starting to apply for remote coding positions, as I have been unemployed (by choice) for a year.

Have fun!
Cricket

Hi Cricket. I am RN BSN 15 years experience interested in working remote coding positions. Should I take the RHIT class at the local college or take the ICD-10 courses right now? and what is your thoughts on this course here: www.rn-coder.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.