Coding Jobs without Experience

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 121)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah

55 months ago

Ken in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina said: Do you get paid for internships and training though? If most jobs require 2 years experience that's a hell of a lot of training to not get paid. I might as well do something that pays a lot more if I have to do that.

based on you saying, that you don't want to do an internship or work up from a different position, then no, this is a waste of your time because those are pretty much the ONLY ways to get a coding job these days.

very few internships are paid. in any field.

if you are looking for a good paying job with no experience and little education, i think you are going to have a hard time finding a job in any field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

Ken in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina

55 months ago

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah said: you make all very good points, the certificate program teaches you very little, it just gives you the basics, not near enough to be a competent coder, and i think the schools mislead on that information (they also mislead on the job prospects)

Ken- I wasn't trying to be rude, but I gave my opinion based off what you had said, I apologize if I misunderstood you.

if you want a coding career, and not just a job, I would suggest doing either of associates or the bachelors in HIM, it is really the way to go as far as longevity and opportunities in this field.

I made the mistake of just getting the certificate and it has taken me 5 years to get where I want to be, but I am now finding out that to further my career in this field, a degree is really the only way to go, so now I am going to go back and get my associates in HIM, I really wish i had just done that from the beginning.

when I went to school, they didn't offer or require internships, I wish they had because I could have learned more and maybe even gotten a job in the end.

and I don't think internships are 2 years long when you get your certificate, I think they are only a couple of months maybe....

Yes but even if you do the internship how do you get the jobs since they all require 2 years experience if you only have the certificate and a couple months internship?

I already have a two year degree in business management and I'm not by any means saying I want a career that requires no experience, but to have to work up from a job not related to what you want to do is not worth it to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

RHIT student in Franklin, Ohio

55 months ago

Ken in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina said: Yes but even if you do the internship how do you get the jobs since they all require 2 years experience if you only have the certificate and a couple months internship?

I already have a two year degree in business management and I'm not by any means saying I want a career that requires no experience, but to have to work up from a job not related to what you want to do is not worth it to me.

Then you should consider another career but most will want experience especially if its in healthcare. I'll use pharmacy tech and CNA's as an example because both fields take less than a year to complete (a few months or weeks actually). All the jobs i've seen for these positions (the decent paying ones) want at least 1 year of experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Ken in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina

55 months ago

Yes but the question is how do you get that much experience with only a short-term internship? An internship that lasts only a few months is not 1 or 2 years experience. Starting at a lower position and working your way up to medical billing isn't experience also because you aren't getting experience in the field that you are seeking a job for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RHIT student in Franklin, Ohio

55 months ago

Ken in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina said: Yes but the question is how do you get that much experience with only a short-term internship? An internship that lasts only a few months is not 1 or 2 years experience. Starting at a lower position and working your way up to medical billing isn't experience also because you aren't getting experience in the field that you are seeking a job for.

Most people volunteer while in school in the medical records department. If they prove they are a good worker then places will hire them. If you do a good job in your internship then it can also lead to being hired. You have to be professional 100% of the time because it can lead to an opportunity.

Smaller facilities may hire you without much experience and may have the time to train you. Larger facilities want experience becuase they are busy all the time. They don't have time to train you.

If you can combine the internship with volunteer experience then that could get you to one year. Many people start out as receptionists while in school and then move back to billing or coding once they have proven their worth. The key IMO is working while in school if possible. If you work while in school then by the time you are done you should have some experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Barcoder in Bolingbrook, Illinois

55 months ago

I could not agree more with the above comments. I too completed my courses in Medical Billing/Coding. Day after day I struggle to seek employment! Sometimes my peers look at me like " whatever did you pick THAT as a career path for"? look how hard it is for you to find work? I'm broke, unemployed, in debt and been denied numerous jobs due to lack of experience ( less then 2 years) I too took the degree route. its been 3yrs now. I have my RMC but its gotten me nowhere. when I get some $$ I will go after my CCA. My school promised jobs after the internship which was only weeks long and the program ended. I think many of these schools are mis-leading in order to get us to sign the papers and leave is hanging. Job-less. I went back to my school. Only to hear " oh sorry.... but we have more classes for you to take". My advise is if this is what you what. Keep fighting. Get your certification. and the jobs will come. CCA is a good starter along with CPC-A. and they now have websites for coders both entry level and up for employers to find us!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

barcoder in Bolingbrook, Illinois

55 months ago

Thank you for the information! I did apply. All I can do from here is hope. Sometimes you must pay it forward....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

barcoder in Bolingbrook, Illinois said: Thank you for the information! I did apply. All I can do from here is hope. Sometimes you must pay it forward....

i did notice that both the inpatient and outpatient coder positions didn't require a certification, so that right there gives you a better chance.

but if i can offer some advice, i would not suggest you getting a CCA, it is a pretty useless certification, a CPC or CCS-P would be a much better option

good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Barcoder in Bolingbrook, Illinois

55 months ago

I've heard that. Although I have seen some positions what require the CCA at least. Or the CPC-A as a good starter certification. I did my homework on them both. seems the only difference is the CCA deleted HCPCS on the test. Focused on just CPT and ICD-9? Mine had tons of questions about insurance,CPT, ICD-9, HCPCS, Medicare, all of it! too bad it the classified didn't come with it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cam in Fredericksburg, Virginia

55 months ago

These schools have been running a scam. It is not easy to get a job in coding like these schools have been saying. They've mislead everybody just to have enough people to run their programs. Two years after being mislead by such a program no one in my class had a coding job. Don't listen to these ad's on TV, Web, etc. that say such and such job is in high demand it's BS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Cam in Fredericksburg, Virginia said: These schools have been running a scam. It is not easy to get a job in coding like these schools have been saying. They've mislead everybody just to have enough people to run their programs. Two years after being mislead by such a program no one in my class had a coding job. Don't listen to these ad's on TV, Web, etc. that say such and such job is in high demand it's BS.

they are half wrong, there is a demand of coders, but coders that have experience and certifications. there is very little need for brand new coders right out of school.

with increased legislation, there is more and more emphasis on fraud, so employers want highly experienced coders who will not make mistakes and avoid having audit issues.

if you are still trying to break into the field, try medical records, billing or even data entry, while it isn't coding, it does give you experience and you can leverage it into a coding job. and of course, certifications are extremely important. they didn't use to matter very much, but now, everyone has them, so everyone has to have them to compete and be considered.

i LOVE this field, but it can be hard to get your break, but if you hold on til you get it, it'll be worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Dayton, Ohio

55 months ago

Christina at St Josephs Hospital and Hea in Dickinson, North Dakota said: St. Joseph's Hospital and Health Center in Dickinson, North Dakota has 3 full time opening for a coder. We have an excellent, affordable benefits package and are offering relocation assistance for qualified candidates. Although coding experience is preferred, we are willing to train with the right candidate! Visit our website for more details. www.stjoeshospital.org This position requires on-site coders as we currently have a paper medical records system.

Aw to bad I don't live in North Dakota! Do you do paid relocation?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

VISWEET in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

Thanks for this information; I am a student at Star Career Academy,which does not offer internship.I guess I better get on my grind and do some volunteer work, for experience. I'll be graduating in 3 months and was under the empression that I will be working short after.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Frustrated CCA said: I recently found out thru a friend that a person got hired as a coder at a hospital even though this person has not finished school (online one) and is not even certified. She got the job because a relative worked there. This goes to show you it's not what you know, it's who you know.
I had applied numerous times at this very same hospital but kept getting rejected. I find this highly unfair !

you know when you are on the outside it is incredibly unfair, when you are in the inside it is awesome.

But I would agree that someone who is not certified or even finished with school is NOT qualified for a hospital coding job.

Maybe they will be awful and then hire someone competent....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

barcoder in Bolingbrook, Illinois

55 months ago

Yea. I saw a lot of that. At a hospital I worked at. Lots of people in HR were hiring their relatives for all kinds of jobs. Soon it was family affair in there! One girl I knew for years even ended up as a unit sec. With only a H.S. education. I applied for the same job ( I'm 6 courses short of MBA by the way) an my resume was rejected right way for lack of job experience? REALLY? go figure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Frustrated CCA

55 months ago

I'm thinking I have made a bad choice choosing to go into this field. If I knew then what I know now I would have never gone this route. The schools lie to you promising a great career and help with finding employment. Well it's been almost a year and I'm still unemployed. Other people I have spoken with are in the same boat even if you have your CCS or RHIT it really doesn't mean squat if you don't have experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Frustrated CCA said: I'm thinking I have made a bad choice choosing to go into this field. If I knew then what I know now I would have never gone this route. The schools lie to you promising a great career and help with finding employment. Well it's been almost a year and I'm still unemployed. Other people I have spoken with are in the same boat even if you have your CCS or RHIT it really doesn't mean squat if you don't have experience.

I am very sorry that this field has not worked out for you yet, which is too bad because it really is a great field.

It is very frustrating the the schools are not very honest about job prospects or very good about helping or offering advice to find a job.

But I would recommend you working in some aspect of the medical field, if nothing else, but to keep your skills fresh and your experience relevant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Frustrated CCA

55 months ago

Valentine didn't you say you had a job at the VA? How do you have time to come on this board ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Frustrated CCA said: Valentine didn't you say you had a job at the VA? How do you have time to come on this board ?

I can't believe that after all the help and encouragement I have given on this board, especially to you, you are gonna try to start something with me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Frustrated CCA

55 months ago

I apolize I didn't mean to start anything. I do remember you saying you worked for the VA. I am very appreciative for your support. Really I did not mean any harm. Sorry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Frustrated CCA said: I apolize I didn't mean to start anything. I do remember you saying you worked for the VA. I am very appreciative for your support. Really I did not mean any harm. Sorry.

If you are truly asking a question about how I have time to be on a board, the answer is simple, almost every employer, both private and federal allow their employees internet time. I can't imagine working 8 hours straight without a quick break to read news, check email, etc.

I still get all of my work done and am usually a more focused and better employee after I have a break.

If you were not trying to start anything, and I misread it, then I am sorry too. I don't like confrontation. at all :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Frustrated CCA

55 months ago

Valentine,

I am glad to see you are working in a place that is not overloading you with work and treats their employees well. Could not have it any better!
Have a great day.

allison954 in Clarkston, Georgia

55 months ago

Ken in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina said: I was looking into several Medical Coding schools but I wanted to know if I could get a job without having any experience.

The problem I am having is looking up jobs and everyone requiring 2 or more years of experience. With that I am not sure it is worth my time and money to get a medical coding certificate.

The only way I am going to do it is if I can find a job right away without having to do an internship or work up from a different position at a medical company because I think that is a waste of time.

Is it even worth the time to do the program than?

it's not worth the time and money im about to graduate in that field on june 18th and you have to get certified before they will even consider you and then you still have to have some type of experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

ChiChi in Pleasant Valley, New York

54 months ago

I currently work in the HIM department and I just signed up to take a Medical Billing course. I'm a recent hire in HIM, but do you think the course plus working in HIM will help me get a job? Maybe after a year or so? I know you are supposed to have 2 years...

54 months ago

ChiChi in Pleasant Valley, New York said: I currently work in the HIM department and I just signed up to take a Medical Billing course. I'm a recent hire in HIM, but do you think the course plus working in HIM will help me get a job? Maybe after a year or so? I know you are supposed to have 2 years...

I think the HIM experience will be a great asset to your coding career, often in large hospitals, HIM and coding fall under the same umbrella, so you already having an "in" and that will definitely help. This is a great field, with a lot of opportunity for growth and expansion, its just getting that initial job that is the hard part (which you already have) once you get your foot in the door, you are usually fine. Make sure that you get a certification, I would not recommend the CCA, but any of the others from AAPC or AHIMA would be great.

i started out at front desk, volunteered to help our coding/billing dept, learned alot and leveraged it into a medical data entry job, got my certification and got a true coding job. There is no harm or shame in starting somewhere else and working your way up. I have not been unemployed, waiting for the "dream job" to happen.

hope that helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

danandme23 in Muskegon, Michigan

53 months ago

i am thinking about going into billing and coding at ross but im afraid that i will go through the school and wind up w/o a job i called the hosp and they said they were willing to hire w/o a lot of experience but i was wondering if anyone else had any helpful advice before i make such an expensive leap

53 months ago

danandme23 in Muskegon, Michigan said: i am thinking about going into billing and coding at ross but im afraid that i will go through the school and wind up w/o a job i called the hosp and they said they were willing to hire w/o a lot of experience but i was wondering if anyone else had any helpful advice before i make such an expensive leap

Hospital coding jobs are very hard to get into, they (usually) do NOT hire anyone that does not have a RHIA, RHIT or CCS and at least 2-3 years experience with inpatient coding.

Outpatient coding is also hard to get into, just not has hard as hospital. I will give you the advice I have given everyone else on this forum.

This is a great field, I absolutely love it. I can not imagine doing anything else. It is one of the most stable fields there is out there.

But since it is such a great field, it has become over saturated with new graduates with no experience. Also, there has been an increase in federal regulations in regards to fraud and incorrect coding. Employers now only want to hire coders with certifications and true coding experience to prevent unnessecary audits.

If you decide to proceed with this field, just know that when you graduate, you will probably have to start somewhere else in the field, such as medical records, front desk, data entry or billing. Which is fine, I started out the same way. Gain medical experience and knowledge, and leverage it into a coding job.

It will not happen right away, but put in your time, continue learning, gain experience and you can move up. Its how the rest of us did it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

wannabecoder in Clearwater, Florida

53 months ago

I'm a unit secretary at a local hospital, and am taking courses towards a certificate in coding (I am also gonna take the certification test as well) Will the experience working as a unit secretary, and the fact that I am already employed by a hospital enhance my chances at finding employment within my hospital once I am done with school? Or does it not matter? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

valentine in West Jordan, Utah

53 months ago

wannabecoder in Clearwater, Florida said: I'm a unit secretary at a local hospital, and am taking courses towards a certificate in coding (I am also gonna take the certification test as well) Will the experience working as a unit secretary, and the fact that I am already employed by a hospital enhance my chances at finding employment within my hospital once I am done with school? Or does it not matter? Thanks!

the fact that you already work for a hospital should help in you finding another job in the hospital, they tend to like to promote from within. that being said, I am unsure what a unit secretary does, do you do anything with diagnosis or procedure codes? If so, it should help in finding a coding job, it isn't a guarntee, there is a lot of competition for entry level coding jobs, but it should give you an edge over people who have zero medical experience.

wannabecoder in Clearwater, Florida

53 months ago

As a unit secreatary I basically watch the patients' heart rhythms, put calls out to doctors, and put in orders. The orders help because I have to be very careful about the reason for a "portable chest x-ray" I figured it would help me network, as well as move from within. I am attending a local community college where I will receive my certificate, and transfers to an AS in HIM. Thanks for your help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

wannabecoder in Clearwater, Florida said: As a unit secreatary I basically watch the patients' heart rhythms, put calls out to doctors, and put in orders. The orders help because I have to be very careful about the reason for a "portable chest x-ray" I figured it would help me network, as well as move from within. I am attending a local community college where I will receive my certificate, and transfers to an AS in HIM. Thanks for your help.

Sounds like a great plan. I definitely think if you have the time and money, you should go for your associates. I have noticed more and more hospitals wanting HIM degrees for their inpatient coders. Plus, a degree gives you more opportunities to move throughout Health Information.

Good Luck!

barcoder in Chicago, Illinois

53 months ago

I too am trying my best to gain as much leverage as I can. Still trying to get my big break as a coder. I just recently managed to get a A/R specialist position for a Rehab facility. Too bad I'm only a temp ( as many are nowadays). With hope this will look good on my resume, I love learning new medical billing software, claims processing, and working with HCFA forms and EOB's but I need to get my foot in the door before times up! This a temp (only) position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

coolchicn in Atlanta, Georgia

52 months ago

As somebody who's already in the field, do you think getting a BS in HIM is a good idea right now? I have no prior healthcare experience, so am just wondering about the job prospects after I graduate

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pat in Perris, California

51 months ago

I am 60 years old and at a dead end with no medical transcription employment, but many years experience in the medical field. Would it be feasible for me to take coding and billing classes related to the time required to land a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rhitsinceJune in Phoenix, Arizona

47 months ago

Pat and coolchicn, it seems like the trend has been to promote from within healthcare facilities this past year. Unfortunately I do not have any contacts in HR in the healthcare field. (Which is probably why I'm still looking for an opportunity.) Even though it sounds backwards, I would make sure the job is available before putting money into another degree or program. Even though you can see hundreds of job postings on these job search engines, the fact is that only a percentage of them will actually be filled. Medical facilities change their minds, get less funding, and are generally not under pressure to fill the positions. I've been applying since June, and even having an associate's degree and the RHIT behind my name has not helped me become a unit secretary, medical records tech, or even a coder. Believe me, I've applied for them all. Good luck to you all!

regenialomax in Southaven, Mississippi

47 months ago

Cam in Fredericksburg, Virginia said: These schools have been running a scam. It is not easy to get a job in coding like these schools have been saying. They've mislead everybody just to have enough people to run their programs. Two years after being mislead by such a program no one in my class had a coding job. Don't listen to these ad's on TV, Web, etc. that say such and such job is in high demand it's BS.

Yes, I totally agree. I also am a graduate with a diploma in medical billing/coding. The schools are constantly doing it to people with plenty of lies as if you will definitely get a job once you graduate.I have been out of school a year now and still do not have a job. Yet they leave you with paying this student loan back. This sorry school will not even allow us to take the certification test there at the school. I told them that is really terrible. I would not advise them to attend there at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

regenialomax in Southaven, Mississippi

47 months ago

danandme23 in Muskegon, Michigan said: i am thinking about going into billing and coding at ross but im afraid that i will go through the school and wind up w/o a job i called the hosp and they said they were willing to hire w/o a lot of experience but i was wondering if anyone else had any helpful advice before i make such an expensive leap

Just don't come down to Memphis,TN and go to school for billing and coding, because you Will Not get a JOB.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jmatt in Parker, Colorado

47 months ago

I work as an admission counselor at an online school, which does not offer billing and coding. I talk to people everyday who are trying to get into this industry simply because they think it is a quick fix to a stable high paying job. My competitors are continually selling this program to people who want an easy out, but seriously education is a MARATHON and not a SPRINT! Nothing in life comes easy, so unless you have an absolute passion for this line of work it is not for you. If someone calls you and tells you there is a guaranteed job with just 6 months of training they are lying! I have a Masters Degree, and even with that there is no guarantee for employment. So if you think for a second that you will come out of a 6 month training course and have leg up on someone like myself with a just a certificate, you are delusional. Unfortunately, times are tough and it is the under educated who are truly going to suffer. If you want to avoid the pain, work hard, get a true degree through a regionally accredited school, pay your dues, and you will be just fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Medical Coding Seeker in Nashville, Tennessee

46 months ago

Would being a medical claims processor/bill reviewer be considered experience in the eyes of an employer?

For over two years, I have been a bill reviewer of workers’ comp medical claims. Though I don’t do any actual coding, and I rely a lot on bill review software, I am very familiar with what needs to be on the claim forms including all types of medical codes, and if any documentation is needed in order for the insurance companies to reimburse the providers.

I also have an Associates Degree in Medical Office Administration with medical coding concentration from a local community college and plan on taking the AAPC CPC exam this summer.

I even asked the supervisor of the department at our company that performs coding logic review with the primary focus on E&M codes, and the coders must be certified and experienced. She didn’t specify what kind of experience, but I’m pretty sure she means coding experience.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

L123 in Eau Claire, Wisconsin

45 months ago

Frustrated CCA said: I'm thinking I have made a bad choice choosing to go into this field. If I knew then what I know now I would have never gone this route. The schools lie to you promising a great career and help with finding employment. Well it's been almost a year and I'm still unemployed. Other people I have spoken with are in the same boat even if you have your CCS or RHIT it really doesn't mean squat if you don't have experience.

I agree and find myself in the same situation...

L123 in Eau Claire, Wisconsin

45 months ago

This career is a dead in.....I wish i never wasted money going to school for it...after graduation it just caused me more stress because no one would even hire me. I'm willing to start reception I even applied at an area hospital many times and got rejected everytime. Im frusterated that it has come down to this! I really need advice, I have my certification and even is a member of AHIMA. Why do instructors and the school make it seem like you can find employment so quick afterwards!

valentine2 in Park City, Utah

45 months ago

L123 in Eau Claire, Wisconsin said: This career is a dead in.....I wish i never wasted money going to school for it...after graduation it just caused me more stress because no one would even hire me. I'm willing to start reception I even applied at an area hospital many times and got rejected everytime. Im frusterated that it has come down to this! I really need advice, I have my certification and even is a member of AHIMA. Why do instructors and the school make it seem like you can find employment so quick afterwards!

Because they are a business, especially the private for profit, online only schools, they do not care once they have your money. It isn't right, but it is how things are. I am sorry you are frustrated and feel you are facing a dead end. In all honesty, every field (not just coding) is facing the same issues, new grads are unable to find jobs due to lack of experience. Even new nurses struggle to find jobs.

The only advice is to keep doing what you are doing, eventually someone will give you your break.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

EDCtx in Texas

45 months ago

L123 in Eau Claire, Wisconsin said: This career is a dead in.....I wish i never wasted money going to school for it...after graduation it just caused me more stress because no one would even hire me. I'm willing to start reception I even applied at an area hospital many times and got rejected everytime. Im frusterated that it has come down to this! I really need advice, I have my certification and even is a member of AHIMA. Why do instructors and the school make it seem like you can find employment so quick afterwards!

This is one of the reasons why I am mad at these companies sending work to India. We have so many coders here that need work! I am also frustrated by these schools that are charging so much money for a coding certificate without telling you that you need AHIMA credentials (or at least AAPC). They are ripping people off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jane in Eau Claire, Wisconsin

45 months ago

valentine2 in Park City, Utah said: Because they are a business, especially the private for profit, online only schools, they do not care once they have your money. It isn't right, but it is how things are. I am sorry you are frustrated and feel you are facing a dead end. In all honesty, every field (not just coding) is facing the same issues, new grads are unable to find jobs due to lack of experience. Even new nurses struggle to find jobs.

The only advice is to keep doing what you are doing, eventually someone will give you your break.

Thanks for your reply, Im going through a really hard time right now! Im going to keep trying paid way too much to just toss it..faith right!

vonn in Hyattsville, Maryland

43 months ago

Hey Valentine, I to have just finished a medical billing and coding program at Sanford Brown Int. I have some medical back ground in the dental field with doing coding as a dental assistant for financial planner in a dental office. Would this experience help me any.

valentine in Park City, Utah

43 months ago

vonn in Hyattsville, Maryland said: Hey Valentine, I to have just finished a medical billing and coding program at Sanford Brown Int. I have some medical back ground in the dental field with doing coding as a dental assistant for financial planner in a dental office. Would this experience help me any.

Not being a hiring manager I can not say for sure, but I think it definitely gives you an advantage over others who do not have any experience with any type of coding.

valentine in Park City, Utah

43 months ago

Medical Coding Seeker in Middle, Tennessee said: Anyone heard of "Online Internship for Medical Coding by Carol J Buck"?
I found it on the Evolve Learning System website.
Is this the same program as "Virtual Experience: Apprentice Removal" that the AAPC offers?

Would either of these be recognized by employers as 'experience', or do they only recognize real world 'actual-on-the-job' experience?

I don't want to spend my money on something if employers are going to look the other way.

Unfortunately this question has been asked in other forums and I have yet to see a single response (either positive or negative) from someone in a hiring position.

It seems that hiring managers do not know themselves if they would hire someone for a coding position after completing this program. Maybe it is still too new for them to determine its effectiveness in providing actual hands on experience...

I know that isn't the answer you were looking for, but as of now, I have not see an answer one way or the other.

bettyboo. :) in San Antonio, Texas

42 months ago

Ken in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina said: I'm not saying I want a career that requires no experience or education, but you get the education by getting the certificate right?

Why is it necessary to do an internship to learn to do something you already did a training program for? Isn't that kind of redundant?

it is necessary because some companys ask for experiance and when you go on your internship if that company likes the way you work they can hire you, thats why schools send you on internships,so you can get some kind of expireince and you reputation starts from their. if the doctor you are working for on internship likes you and the way you work, you can use him as reference, and other doctors will see that, there for you have a better chance at getting a job. :) i will be going on my internship next month, and alot of students have got hired from my school while on theirs, so hopfully the same happens for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

coderblues in Aurora, Colorado

42 months ago

Jane in Eau Claire, Wisconsin said: Thanks for your reply, Im going through a really hard time right now! Im going to keep trying paid way too much to just toss it..faith right!

Valentine from Park City, UT is very much correct. All the schools are looking for is revenue. The almighty dollar. Oh, that had me convinced that I would find a job after graduation. No such luck even with my medical background. 15 years as a nurse, working in hospitals, etc and still nothing. I wish I would have known Valentine when I was living in SLC. We could have had a good time talking about coding and the schools ripping off the consumer. I hope that the government will crack down on these schools and their bogus promises. The school I graduated from for coding still telephones me asking me to go back for more schooling. This goes on and on. They don't get the hint to give it up. They want to make their moola.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kelly in Tallahassee, Florida

38 months ago

Valentine, I read earlier that you received a coding certificate and are now looking into getting your associates. Was it the AHIMA coding basics program? I'm looking into this program but my only qualm is whether or not those credits will transfer toward an HIM associates degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.