Has anyone considered learning ICD-10 before starting the coding job search?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Deb in Wake Forest, North Carolina

25 months ago

I am just about ready to graduate with an Associate's Degree in medical billing and coding. We were taught ICD-9 in my courses. I plan to go on and get my CCA certification and have wondered if it would make sense to get training in ICD-10 as well. That way I may have a better chance of getting a job in a coding position when I am done. What are your thoughts on this? And do you know of an online program that offers it?

Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Hutchinson, Minnesota

25 months ago

I think that learning ICD-10 at this point will be pretty difficult and costly. You will have to go to several seminars..ect and they all cost money. Given the uncertainty of when/if ICD-10 goes into effect right now having a basic understanding of ICD-10 isn't probably going to make that much difference in finding a job within the next year or two.

Not to mention if you get a coding job, your employer more than likely will pay for training in ICD-10.

25 months ago

Thanks, Mike. I thought that ICD-10 would be in place by October 2013, so I was hoping to get my foot in the door at that time. However, if it is not going to take place, I think you are right and have made some good points. Thank you.

Mike in Saint Paul, Minnesota

25 months ago

Well, they insist that ICD-10 will go live in 2013 but that's what they said about that it was to go live earlier this year as well. So, the plan is 2013 but a lot of people in the HIM field are skeptical. And like I said, to get all up on coding ICD-10 would probably cost you a lot as well.

25 months ago

I was wrong about the October 2013 date. Apparently, the date has been pushed back to October 2014. At least, that is what some people are now saying.

colleencpc in Sevierville, Tennessee

20 months ago

Know that training for ICD-10 is imperative if you are to be successful in your role. I was certified by beta testing this summer, and in the training I was in I realized this was going to be a bigger curve than I expected, especially in the PCS (Procedural Coding) side of code selection.

Sad to hear that the schools are not upgrading their curriculum to include ICD-10.

Thank you.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.