Help! Grad. with B.S. degree eager to work in Healthcare! Master's in HIM or Health Administration? RHIT or CCS?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

Rachel in Victoria, Texas

43 months ago

Hello Everyone,

I am a graduate of May 2010 with a Bachelor's degree in Communication Studies and would like to work in healthcare. However, I am split between elderly care (working at a retirement community) and Health Information Management. My dilemma is my lack of experience and/or education in health which keeps me from getting ANY job in either field. Now, I am debating between obtaining RHIT or CCS certification, or a master's degree in HIM or Health Administration/Management.

SO - Is a master's degree or certificate wiser? And which type of program/degree would I benefit more from (HIM or Health Admin., RHIT or CCS?)

((Keep in mind, even if I get a master's degree, it may do little good without any job-related experience.))

And, if you have any experience in HIM or working in a retirement community, please share!!!

THANK YOU for your help!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

1102vita in Phoenix, Arizona

42 months ago

Hi, I am in a similar boat. Graduated with a B.A. in Advertising and have not been satisfied with my job opportunities. I have no experience in health care, but I am interested in getting into the field. What I am looking for is guaranteed employment in the health care field upon graduation with room for advancement in pay. I am not going to spend time and money to be right back in the situation I am now only with more debt. What is the difference between a Masters in Health (care) Admin and a Masters in Public Health? Which one will lead to the most/better employment opportunities given my current situation?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

valentine2 in Park City, Utah

42 months ago

1102vita in Phoenix, Arizona said: Hi, I am in a similar boat. Graduated with a B.A. in Advertising and have not been satisfied with my job opportunities. I have no experience in health care, but I am interested in getting into the field. What I am looking for is guaranteed employment in the health care field upon graduation with room for advancement in pay. I am not going to spend time and money to be right back in the situation I am now only with more debt. What is the difference between a Masters in Health (care) Admin and a Masters in Public Health? Which one will lead to the most/better employment opportunities given my current situation?

If you check out other threads on the indeed forum, you will see that a Masters in Public Health has become a useless degree, since most employers prefer to hire nurses for these positions. If you are going to do Health Admin, masters is the only way to go.

That being said, there is no guarantee. Not anymore. Due to there being sooo many candidates for every position that comes available, employers have the luxury of requiring both education and experience. Very few people have both. Your best option is to get hired after your internship, but again, there is no guarantee.

Nurses have trouble finding jobs after graduating. Nurses, the field that has a shortage for 20 years, who offered new nurses insane sign on bonuses just to work for them, can't find work. This is a different world. And if you are looking for a field that will guarantee employment upon graduation, you will be looking for a long time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

EDCtx in Texas

42 months ago

It is crazy. There is actually a need for coders everywhere, but they are very picky about who they will hire. I am an RHIT that has been coding for 15 years. Now I feel like I have limited myself by only doing outpatient. If you can code both inpatient & outpatient, there are SO many jobs out there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rachel in Victoria, Texas

42 months ago

valentine2 in Park City, Utah said: If you check out other threads on the indeed forum, you will see that a Masters in Public Health has become a useless degree, since most employers prefer to hire nurses for these positions. If you are going to do Health Admin, masters is the only way to go.

That being said, there is no guarantee. Not anymore. Due to there being sooo many candidates for every position that comes available, employers have the luxury of requiring both education and experience. Very few people have both. Your best option is to get hired after your internship, but again, there is no guarantee.

Nurses have trouble finding jobs after graduating. Nurses, the field that has a shortage for 20 years, who offered new nurses insane sign on bonuses just to work for them, can't find work. This is a different world. And if you are looking for a field that will guarantee employment upon graduation, you will be looking for a long time.

Hi Valentine2,

You stated something about an internship in your last response and I was wondering if you were talking about the AIT (Administrator in Training) Internship? If you know about this program, would you recommend someone hoping to become a Retirement Community or Assisted Living Administrator to take the courses and internship? I know that the program is for those wanting to become Nursing Home Administrators, but it seems like it could not hurt me since it would be a great experience. Thanks.

42 months ago

EDCtx in Texas said: It is crazy. There is actually a need for coders everywhere, but they are very picky about who they will hire. I am an RHIT that has been coding for 15 years. Now I feel like I have limited myself by only doing outpatient. If you can code both inpatient & outpatient, there are SO many jobs out there!

I know it is terrible. They now want coders who can do it all. I see jobs open for coders who can "crossover between all types of coding" There are not a lot of people who can code ALL types of encounters. Its very frustrating. Oh well, the only thing to do is adapt or get out. So that's what I'm doing, adapting.

42 months ago

Rachel in Victoria, Texas said: Hi Valentine2,

You stated something about an internship in your last response and I was wondering if you were talking about the AIT (Administrator in Training) Internship? If you know about this program, would you recommend someone hoping to become a Retirement Community or Assisted Living Administrator to take the courses and internship? I know that the program is for those wanting to become Nursing Home Administrators, but it seems like it could not hurt me since it would be a great experience. Thanks.

I'm sorry, I don't actually have any experience or knowledge of the particular program you are talking about, but rather Masters degree internship programs in general. Sorry.

lumin in fort worth, Texas

41 months ago

Hey Rachel,
I'm also looking at doing the AIT here in TX. I think I would also prefer to work CCRC or AL community even though the AIT is for Nursing homes because my BA and work experience is not in health care and EVERY post on here from current Nursing Home Admins is so discouraging. I keep reading and hearing how nursing home admins have very high turnover and its much more stressful than working in an AL. I just hate to spend a semseter on the classes for Admins and do the 1000 hr AIT if there aren't real job openings for ppl new to the industry.
What have you decided to do? Any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

RHIA2U in Cincinnati, Ohio

39 months ago

Valentine, you are right, more and more coding jobs are requesting that you have coded it all, physician side, insurance side, inpatient, outpatient, observation, ambulatory, behavioral, OB/GYN, physician office and been supervisor to any and all of the above. What about the coders who have specialized just in either inpatient or outpatient for years? My answer is that you had better say in your job as with these new requirements who has all of this without job hopping and then they do not want you for that because you do not have a "stable job record". Let's not forget though, come October 1, 2013 there is either going to be a mass exodus of coders, or everything is just going to crumble as EVERYONE WILL BE ON THE SAME PAGE, NO ONE WILL HAVE 2-3 years of experience coding ICD-10. It is going to be a nightmare, as insurance companies will have a field day rejecting claims, make new rules and the backlog is going to be something like you have never seen before. For those who have nerves of steel and can take the stress it may be profitable, for others it just might be a time to try something new.

tanya in Minneapolis, Minnesota

21 months ago

You stated something about an internship in your last response and I was wondering if you were talking about the AIT ( Administrator in Training) Internship? If you know about this program, would you recommend someone hoping to become a Retirement Community or Assisted Living Administrator to take the courses and internship? I know that the program is for those wanting to become Nursing Home Administrators, but it seems like it could not hurt me since it would be a great experience. Thanks.

Hello, my name is tanya and i graduated with a masters degree in health care administration this past sept. I am almost wishing i had researched further before going into so much debt. If you have no experience, like me, it is terrible looking for a job. I also was looking for an AIT internship. They are few and far between, a lot of places do not offer it, and when they do, they only accept one candidate per year. I have no idea what my next step should be. I think i need to obtain a career counselor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

sam in Minneapolis, Minnesota

19 months ago

Hi,
I need advice please, I want to apply fo MHA at Universty of minnesota.
do you think it is worth it with all this debt $59000 and is it easy to find job with this degree?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Benami in Watertown, Massachusetts

18 months ago

sam in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: Hi,
I need advice please, I want to apply fo MHA at Universty of minnesota.
do you think it is worth it with all this debt $59000 and is it easy to find job with this degree?

Have you considered an MBA is healthcare management instead? It gives more flexibility than an MHA in my opinion.

Ebony Pryor in Memphis, Tennessee

12 months ago

Hi,

My name is Ebony. .. I am currently enrolled in class to obtain bachelor degree in healthcare management.. I am kind of skeptical about the opportunities that is related to this field.. I know there are jobs out there but how can you get a job with this degree wothout any management ecperience.. I mean I work in a group home setting but it is the only experience I have.. Also, I am currently volunteering at the hospital in medical records working with HIM Managers and Directors.. My question is will my experience working in the group home setting and volunteering in medical records help me find a job and will be a little easiet since I an volunteering in that area???

Please any suggestions will help because I am very skeptical and effie with this degree..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

12 months ago

Ebony Pryor in Memphis, Tennessee said: Hi,

My name is Ebony. .. I am currently enrolled in class to obtain bachelor degree in healthcare management.. I am kind of skeptical about the opportunities that is related to this field.. I know there are jobs out there but how can you get a job with this degree wothout any management ecperience.. I mean I work in a group home setting but it is the only experience I have.. Also, I am currently volunteering at the hospital in medical records working with HIM Managers and Directors.. My question is will my experience working in the group home setting and volunteering in medical records help me find a job and will be a little easiet since I an volunteering in that area???

Please any suggestions will help because I am very skeptical and effie with this degree..

The field is becoming saturated but you are on the right track. Stay close to direct patient care as a lot of "management" will soon be automated and/or offshored.

In addition, take everything you can related to EMR. This will soon be the norm. I would also recommend you take Spanish. Its almost a requirement now.

Continue to volunteer in your field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ebony Pryor in Memphis, Tennessee

12 months ago

Thanks for the reply.... what does EMR mean.. And YES Spanish is the new it... I am learning ss well... I know jow important speaking another along with Spanish by itself could contribute to more and betyer opportunities. .. do you have any suggestions of how to learn how to speak Spanish quicker?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Vanessa in Evansville, Indiana

1 month ago

I recently graduated with my Bachelors in Health Administration and I have been unable to find a job that pays well in healthcare. I am actually going back for OTA since I have found I enjoy working with people rather than doing the clerical side of healthcare. I would not suggest that anyone get a health admin degree unless it is to supplement another degree. I know a lot of my classmates are working at low wage jobs like Wal-Mart because they can't find work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.