MT to Coder?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Bunmom in Floral Park, New York

25 months ago

I am working as a medical transcriptionist and thinking about switching to medical coding. Is this a bad time to begin training, since the coding system will be changing next year? Thanks for any opinions... I don't have any
friends in the business and need all the help I can get.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MJinATL in Decatur, Georgia

25 months ago

Yes Bunmom, this is a GREAT time to switch to the medical coding field. I too am a long time medical transcriptionist and have been seeking this opportunity, whether it's forums, blogs, schools, etc. regarding coding for over a year and have FINALLY decided to take that leap. For those of us whose been in the healthcare field for a while and want a 'jump' in education, i.e., without courses of med term and/or A&P, then I would suggest an up and coming course/visiting onlinecodingcourses.com. They are very informative, very knowledgeable and will answer ALL of your questions regarding coding. Good luck to you!!

25 months ago

MJinATL in Decatur, Georgia said: Yes Bunmom, this is a GREAT time to switch to the medical coding field. I too am a long time medical transcriptionist and have been seeking this opportunity, whether it's forums, blogs, schools, etc. regarding coding for over a year and have FINALLY decided to take that leap. For those of us whose been in the healthcare field for a while and want a 'jump' in education, i.e., without courses of med term and/or A&P, then I would suggest an up and coming course/visiting onlinecodingcourses.com. They are very informative, very knowledgeable and will answer ALL of your questions regarding coding. Good luck to you!!

Thanks for your reply : ) I see my community college is offering 2 adult education courses, a beginner coding course and an advanced one. I tried to get some answers but have not heard anything from them in regards to being able to find employment as a coder after completing those courses and getting certified. Have you heard of anything like that being doable?

25 months ago

I think it's doable - it's just a matter of us individually being persistent. In my opinion, we DO have a jump start on coding jobs (once we do go through a really good thorough course of medical coding and become certified) as we do have the background/experience in transcribing, the actual medical record, etc., so again, it's just a matter of 'selling ourselves', being persistent and really going after what we want. :) I do not know of any coders, new, transitioners from MT or seasoned coders, but would love to meet/talk to coders - especially those transitioned from MT.

25 months ago

Have you decided where to get your training?

25 months ago

There were many options I had such as Andrews school, AHIMA, etc. but my financial status is pretty low right now (as you may well know being an MT) :), so I have to let my finances dictate where I will take courses. I'm going to go ahead with the online program that's up and coming of the website I gave you earlier, onlinecodingcourses.com. First classes will be September 10th and their website shows course description, course tuition along with option payment plans, etc.

25 months ago

yes, I understand. Same story here.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.